Old 12-26-2012, 02:52 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
My 34' lives outside parked less than a mile from the Atlantic, it seems to doing good so far!
While you are doing research, look again at used models. You xan get a good one at a fraction of the price of new. Get your feet wet, enjoy it, and then once you really get a good feel, you can upgrade to a newer rig. I can say that camping with my little girls, my 82 works great! It has some "beauty marks" but that is ok. If I ever sell it, i expect to get 100% or more of my money back out of it.

WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 03:10 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Pharmgeek, about corrosion, you don't need to read it all, just enough to go in with your eyes open. Lots of bitching going on there, but there are preventive and maintenance tips to mitigate it as well. Pick out the useful stuff.

Then read the threads on "Leaks and Airstreams". Same deal, you can also deal with it.

The point is there are specific maintenance requirements depending on location and use. Airstreams require upkeep, like anything else, to prevent major damage. With good care, they can last a lifetime and look good all the way.

doug k

Old 12-26-2012, 03:14 PM   #31
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Wink How to get used to looking at filiform.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post
oh jeez...that is attractive...

Damn, thats a hella lotta pages on just one single filliform corrosion post...jeez...

People get upset when that nice shiny image of their airstream is tarnished...errr....corroded

It will take me all night tonight just to read a couple of these threads in full...lol...
"Time will bring to light whatever is hidden; it will cover up and conceal what is now shining in splendor."
Horace .......

Stare without blinking for at least 60seconds.....

Bob

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
yeah, I was not entirely scared away from that post....but at the very minimum it shows that these things need to be maintenanced.....

Of course at first glance the narrative is scary...you buy a late model AS, then do "everything right" and your nice rig gets eaten up with corrosion.

I am skeptical that this is worth worrying about besides being very careful with preventative maintenance. And within the thread, many mention that as an alternative, many other options have considerable issues that concern as well....

I have read some on the threads about leak prevention....that seems very very critical with any home of any time....worse with TT's it seems....good way to quickly trash your fun house.

Moral of the story?, whatever RV you go with...do your homework and do all proper maintenance...

Thanks for the advice so far you all...
Old 12-29-2012, 01:31 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Well, I have been continuing my research into TT's and such....it seems a very difficult thing to resarch....so far the consensus seems rather clear that airstream is widely regarded as the best...but spendier than most all other options...although I have found used much more comparable to some "better" new TT's on the market so far.

Anyway...I plan on this year renting for a 1 week vacation with what will be my 2.5 year old and likely 5 month old (son or daughter, we dont know yet, tell you in a month or less).

Will buy likely beginning of 2014 (maybe even Christmas 2013? ). In the meantime I am doing alot of research and I plan on going to look at alot of models, foorplans, pay attention to quality!

I liked the scamp/casita type idea some of you pitched to me as a starter....I think it will be a bit small for the tastes of my wife - pretty crammed I think even with a 19' model with us two and two small children...and she hated the idea of the pop up camper (I probably should not have shown her airstreams first ).

Anyway, I have not ruled out some other brands entirely like say evergreen...but I have concerns about declining resale value after 5+ years of use....also love the AS's for the flexibility to fairly easily install bunks (ive read alot about this in this forum using the search function) so as to bring along kids' friends later....or maybe a trip with my 3 brothers ("man trip")...not sure some of the SOB options are as easy to modifty and de-modifty for such purposes in looking at them....?

In talking only and lookin on the net with the wife, she seems like she likes something 28+ feet given that her goal is to not only do weekend camping trips, but multiple weeklong camp trips to the beach and other locations as we go along....I have not ruled out a 25 footer, but I think the fear is that down the road we would just end up wanting the upgrade and she will get cooped up feeling if we have to chill out in the AS for lengthy period of time with the kids....im really liking something like a 2009 30' slide out

Airstream Classic Limited 30' S/O Travel Trailer RV - Crash Course - YouTube

ANYWAY - blah blah blah - that is all just context...

But I am going to look at a couple airstreams on the lot at the local dealer...unfortunately they only have a 30' serenetiy international and a 22 sport on the lot...but its only 50 min drive and I have essentially nothing to do on this cold rainy day so I figure I will go and look at these two just to get a sense for these models, the size...etc...also will look at a few of the evergreen models they have. These I find a bit intriguing, so far Ive read good things about them, but they are spendy enough that I think AS gently used is still a better option for resale if I need to later.

Anyway, I am keeping an open mind of course and will greatly be looking forward to making it to a rally come spring so I can look at a bunch of AS's...perhaps may try to go to some form of RV show in 2013 to look at a bunch of TT's

What do folks think of a 30 footer in general? ive read on this forum that towing it really aint that big of a deal vs. say a 25....I figure I will just take my time...perhaps get a rearview camera and do alot of training in a parking lot...but I think so far in looking we like the longer length to have something to grow into...Ive looked at a few of the campsites down at the gulf and there are spots for this length no problem...not sure how many sites this rig would alter my experience...that is something I have to do some more thinking about

Also, if any of you live within 2 hr drive of birmingham, AL let me know...would love to come check out your AS! Take care.

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 02:46 PM   #34
CLOUDSPLITTER "Tahawas"

2003 25' Classic
Zanadude Nebula , WNY
Thumbs up Two four legger's & four two legger's....

"In talking only and lookin on the net with the wife, she seems like she likes something 28+ feet given that her goal is to not only do weekend camping trips, but multiple weeklong camp trips to the beach and other locations as we go along....I have not ruled out a 25 footer, but I think the fear is that down the road we would just end up wanting the upgrade and she will get cooped up feeling if we have to chill out in the AS for lengthy period of time with the kids....im really liking something like a 2009 30' slide out."

We did it this way for many trips 'dock'n. And it has been known to rain in the Adirondack's.
Bob
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PISECO LAKE CAMPING JULY 2008 165.jpg
Views:	53
Size:	732.7 KB
ID:	175466  

“After all these years the reason I continue to love Thanksgiving.....I still sit at the kids table.”
RLC

Sandra wanted to go to Cleveland on vacation,
but I’m the Husband, so we went to Cleveland.
RLC
ROBERT CROSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 03:14 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
I grew up in southwestern virginia (place called tazewell if you know it)....up in the mountains....Now we live in central alabama, and in the summer it can get hot, muggy, and rainy....

Boy do I miss that climate back in VA in many respect...but our alabama mild winters, nice spring and fall make for ALOT of good camping opportunity for sure!

It will be only in the worst of summer where we would have the desire to pile into the AS for any lengthier period of time...rain + severe heat...retreat! but NO DOUBT that most of the year, enjoying the outdoors will be what it is all about!!

Love that pic by the way....that is what is so cool and attractive to the wife and I about RVing...gets family all together enjoying the outdoors

We shall see....I DEFINATELY am not ruling out 25'....or for that matter 26, 27, 28, etc...I am just bored at home on this cold and rainy day - going to go scope em out tomorrow though...schedule conflict today

Old 12-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
There is no end to the search for "big enough" in campers. Just remember you have to tow it and store it. Tow vehicles and fuel are not getting cheaper.

Camping successfully is a "make-do" effort, don't try to bring every contraption, the less the better. Sunny days are outdoors. Rainy days are board games, reading, little hobbies.

If you have seen and pulled Airstream, you'll never be satisfied with imitators like Evergreen. Make no mistake, they have their own issues. And every time an Airstream goes by you'll be looking over your shoulder.

But take your time. Try to get some more camping experience in a trailer, as planned.

doug k
Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 PM   #37
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
well, I have no option but to take my time at this point - the money will not be here till 2014...this is probably a good thing!

Wondering what the fuel efficiency difference is between pulling a 25 vs. a 30....? I realize that will depend on location, TV, etc...but as a ballpark % I am wondering if it is "significant"?

Hard to imagine that it would not be. 7k ish vs 10k ish lbs!

Have not really thought that hard about this either, but If I am going to rent a TT this summer, I may need to go ahead and get my TV...although that prospect makes me squeamish a bit considering I would not be entirely sure what inevitably I would get as far as a TT....

One thing is for sure....my current truck will not tow much...that POS struggles to pull a 2000 lb load...downshifting on the smallest of hill...just not going to get close to pulling a TT I think....

That leaves me in a bit of a pinch I think....not ideal....I have already pretty much told myself I will get a 3/4 ton in reading alot on this site...so perhaps that point is moot to a degree...still not sure of PU vs. SUV to be honest...not really sure if a generator is something to be desired in my future.

Sorry for all the questions....you all have been extremely helpful putting up with me and my rambling!

Old 12-29-2012, 03:53 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
as far as storage, 2 of the houses we are looking into moving into have big flat backyards, no homeowners ass stuff....so that opens alot of possibilities...I read that 85% of AS owners keep theirs outdoors...ive already found a couple indoor places nearby circa 150 per month for storage, but I think I would shoot for erecting some storage on my own property for ease of stowing and getting prepped for trips....the spots that are economical for covered storage are a good 40 min drive from home...pain in my butt I think...

Ive already read quite a bit about ways to cover/store a TT on this site...unfortunately I am not a carpenter or extremely handy...brothers are brick masons and are familiar with pouring concrete, some carpentry and such...probably could help me with setting up the foundation and basics supports for a structure for reasonable price....other brother is an electrician....man if only the other one was a carpenter...argh

but yeah, this will all take alot of time to work out...so i will take my time for sure...no choice to either to some degree...pretty much will not be able to pull the trigger till like feb or march 2014 so time to work out all the kinks and plan.

Old 12-29-2012, 05:23 PM   #39
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
There is no end to the search for "big enough" in campers. Just remember you have to tow it and store it. Tow vehicles and fuel are not getting cheaper.

Camping successfully is a "make-do" effort, don't try to bring every contraption, the less the better. Sunny days are outdoors. Rainy days are board games, reading, little hobbies.

If you have seen and pulled Airstream, you'll never be satisfied with imitators like Evergreen. Make no mistake, they have their own issues. And every time an Airstream goes by you'll be looking over your shoulder.

But take your time. Try to get some more camping experience in a trailer, as planned.

doug k
PG

My uncle traveled all over the country in a small Airstream with his family. He had a way with words- He once told me- "Dan, when you are living in them, they are all too small, but when you are towing them, they are all too big". A lot of wisdom there.

I love my Airstream (s), but I suggest you take a look at the following trailer- A Visa built by Gulf Stream. The model shown here is very interesting- a double bed in front and a bunk bed at the rear. Empty weight is about 4,200 lbs, with a GVWR of 6,000 lbs. Here are some photos.

Dan
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_6771.JPG
Views:	47
Size:	492.2 KB
ID:	175474   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6775.JPG
Views:	39
Size:	518.0 KB
ID:	175475  

Name:	IMG_6773.JPG
Views:	38
Size:	520.1 KB
ID:	175476   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6776.JPG
Views:	42
Size:	410.1 KB
ID:	175477  

Old 12-29-2012, 06:11 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
this is very similar (in concept superficially at least) to the evergreens I was looking at online..but it seems that gulf stream is a company been around a bit longer...I doubt they have been making this composite/aluminum framed based trailer for long though?

Either way, I have not ruled out something in this class of TT to be honest...I think indeed the allure of AS is greater, but some part of me has not ruled these out...

I think my only turn off with such a trailer is that I wonder what resale values would be like 5-10 years later? 20K is less than many AS's, but not that much less than a used AS...but then again these are lighter requiring less $$ on TV and gas...towing with a VW TDI toureg would be an attractive option - could use it as my daily driver in place of my current VW TDI jetta wagon...not as good on fuel, but that is a thought.

I dont know though...its 20K, that is not cheap...im not exactly sure what this 19 to 26 foot units would offer me more than various AS 25 foot units? Save me some gas peraps....

It seems that this is a new type of unit for most brands - gulstream did not seem to make this one till 2012....Evergreen made theirs in 2008 and they were workers before that from another company that failed doing something similar as I understand...

I like this trailer though...will be looking to see it in person and inspect its build quality for sure...

It certainly lacks the asthetic appeal of AS...but everything comes with a cost...compromise is life aint it...dern it

I suspect that bob's comment about "looking over my shoulder" would be an inescapable psychological bias - we really do LOVE the look of AS....I guess given this draw, the next questions would involve affordability and ease of use....

To me it all comes down to the question of re-sale....whatever first trailer we buy...there is the risk that we would buy a different one down the road a bit....in which case in 5 years how much will it be worth?

All things for me to consider.....I have time to brew on it all thats for sure...

Old 12-29-2012, 06:33 PM   #41
Rivet Master

1982 34' Limited
Brunswick , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by PharmGeek View Post

It certainly lacks the asthetic appeal of AS...but everything comes with a cost...compromise is life aint it...dern it

I suspect that bob's comment about "looking over my shoulder" would be an inescapable psychological bias - we really do LOVE the look of AS....I guess given this draw, the next questions would involve affordability and ease of use....

To me it all comes down to the question of re-sale....whatever first trailer we buy...there is the risk that we would buy a different one down the road a bit....in which case in 5 years how much will it be worth?

All things for me to consider.....I have time to brew on it all thats for sure...
I know I have mentioned it before, but there are some great used airstreams out there now. You can get a mid 80's-90's rig that is in ready to go shape for $20k or much less. The advantage here is that is you sell it in 5 years, there is a good chance you will recoup most or all of your $$ in resale. Then buy the new one
You can have your cake and eat it too!
Just another avenue to consider, especially if your are uncertain about which model really fits your needs. The 80's-90's rigs should be fully depreciated by now; you are paying for condition. So considering that and the relatively long lifespan of an Airstream, it is a safer investment than most... Especially if you are going to look at the possibility of upgrading in a few years.
My $.02.
WBCCI #3321
TAC #GA-24
c_lewis77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2012, 07:24 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
THAT is an excellent point!!

My feeling is that:

1) there will be no way to anticipate what my wife and I will ULTIMATELY want
2) given that, resale is highly likely