Old 12-24-2012, 11:43 AM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
You are wise to be cautious before making this large commitment to your time and money. Most of us have had other camping rigs before the Airstream, and many of us got an Airstream that was either too small or to big, only to go back and get the "right" size. So do proceed thoughtfully and we are happy to give advice.

As for service our local dealer is a joke, barely understand the Airstream product because they sell many other camper style and brands. And the service writer is an a'whole. Good service may be a distance, and they are sometimes here today, gone tomorrow.

A good inspection by a highly qualified Airstream tech with any repairs fixed up front, a quarterly inspection and maintenance of shell, running gear, and systems by you, and decent use of your rig will keep you and your Airstream happy.

But it's an expensive purchase and there can be costly expenditures along the way. A cautious camper may want to learn the ropes with a nice but used small basic fiberglass camper such as Casita or Scamp (low maintenance costs), then move toward the Airstream with that experience in your pocket.

For example, we had an older Scamp, bought and sold for more than we paid for it, cost almost nothing to own, and tow with a car or tiny truck. The front seat made into little bunks and the little kids loved it. But our favorite travel camper by far was a series of VW camper vans we had over 35 years of exploring the country.

doug k

Old 12-24-2012, 10:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
all great thoughts...I simply will have to get the wife and me to go and look at all of these options in the next year and see what SHE wants as well...largely a big part of this purchase will be with her money she has saved up so her opinion ultimately rules

Old 12-25-2012, 06:35 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1993 34' Excella
York , South Carolina
"If momma's not happy, nobodys happy".
WBCCI #3892
Region 3 , 1st VP

Go often to the house of a friend, for weeds choke the unused path........Emerson

Never pick a fight with an old man. If he is too old to fight he will just kill you........a wise old man.
sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2012, 02:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
She got me an RV book as a stocking stuffer - "frommers exploring America by RV". - been reading it today relaxing while son napping getting good pointers. Hope you all are having a wonderful day!!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:48 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2013 16' Sport
Bremerton , Washington
Just do it. In 2007, I started looking at the T@b trailers. My better half said, no. I gave it a couple of months, did my research, got the price we wanted to pay. Then I said, let's just go look. Well that was it. Once your in one, that is it, we drove off with it that afternoon.

Fast forward 5 years. My better half, let's get a 2nd dog. Me, if. Get a 2nd dog, mama wants a bigger trailer. And yes, by the time this conversation happened, I had already done my research. We took off the next day to "look" at the Bambi AS. Sold!

And now, we love that thing. The dogs even love it. We have gone out exploring every other weekend. So much so we needed to make plans to stay home and get stuff done around the house.

So far, we have a 13 day pacific coast highway road trip planned for next summer, and 5, 4 day camping trips. Best decision we ever made. And every time we pass one if those big RV's we say, there goes another white box!

Just do it! And now is the best time to buy.
Old 12-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1988 32' Excella
Bonita , California
Quote:
Just do it! And now is the best time to buy.
That is a nice way to put things into perspective. Merry Christmas, everyone.
RUMSHIP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2012, 12:14 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Doesn't sound like you are a "Just do it" kind of family when it comes to major purchases, and many of us aren't either. Here's a nice little book explaining Airstream systems and operation that may be useful in your research.

Newbies Guide To Airstreaming: Rich Luhr, Brad Cornelius: 9780983345800: Amazon.com: Books

doug k
Old 12-26-2012, 08:37 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
"Doesn't sound like you are a "Just do it" kind of family when it comes to major purchases"

I would like to say that I am not...

I will simply say that I try not to be...

Having said that, there really is no telling what I would do if I had the money in hand now? But even in that scenario, I would obsessively read 8 books, a thousand internet posts, look at a bunch of different models, obsess on price...I would probably be in an RV by spring 2013, lol....

But when we are talking about a major luxury purchase...at some point as RUMSHIP said...you pretty much have to take the leap if that is what you want to do...

For me, I dont look back just so as long as the purchase threatens in any way my other financial priorities/bills...then when spending, I leave any second thoughts behind and just enjoy

Last big luxury purchase I made was back in 2009, bought a bass fishing boat, nothing big, just a 16.5 footer - aluminum, brand new 8900 bucks - I have only gotten to use it avg. 10x per year, but I have seriously enjoyed it and will continue to enjoy it (especially when the kids ?want? to go fishing with ol' dad)

Whatever we do as far as an RV, I have no doubt we as a family will simply have the times of our lives....the other details are just smaller details.....but that does not stop me from obsessing over the details...somehow I enjoy it....anticipation can be invigorating right?!

I went to six flags once and there was no lines hardly....somehow it was quickly boring...psychology is an odd thing aint it...

Thanks for the book recommend..ive already read it after someone on this forum recommended it - cute book...I plan on printing and laminating the checklists....I am uber forgetful...I think checklists when RV'ing will keep me from doing stupid s&^*t!!!

Any other book recommends would be great though yall...take care!
Old 12-26-2012, 10:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Too Many Options

PharmGeek,

I appreciate all the thought you are trying to put into this decision. An Airstream is a large purchase and it really does help if you know, as much as is possible, that it is the right one.

If you have never owned an RV of any kind before (sorry if I missed this point) I might suggest that you try one out first. You can find decently priced units on the used market that you should be able to get most of your money back down the road. Get out there with your young family and see what you like, what you don't and how you would like to move forward. We camped for 17 years in a tent trailer with our two young daughters. We moved up to a hybrid as they were leaving the nest so when we started to look at Airstreams we knew exactly what we wanted. It took us a couple of years of research, planning and searching. Found a very nice 2006 25 FB on Craigs List for a price we could handle. Never looked back.

Since you mentioned your plan to purchase in 2014 it sounds like you are a planner. You might want to look into renting or purchasing something first before you go for the aluminum. Just a thought.

I am excited for you and your family. Traveling around and camping is the single best thing we ever did when it came to family time together. Both of our girls still camp with their families and we get still go someplace together a couple of times a year. Watching the grandkids now enjoy the same things we did all those many years ago is a great feeling.

Best wishes on your journey.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:11 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
thanks! yes, actually I think we will take a few trips at least via renting just to get our feet wet. RV'ing is not very new to my wife per se...she grew up doing quite a bit of it with a good friend of hers and she has many fond memories....my first time to the beach at age 15 was with a friend and his family in their RV...again, really fond memories...and my wife and I have camped via tent many times before having kids...so we know we are lovers of camping....

We also are lovers of the beach....so we plan on doing many more beach trips in some type of RV in the future....our love of tent camping cannot really work at all down in the gulf though...we tried it a couple times and uhh...well, its just too damn hot, lol - we had a blast, but jeez it would get a bit too muggy to sleep outdoors with no A/C...we have gone down to the gulf a good number of times and stayed in hotels or condos on or near the beach but it just gets so damn pricey and its just a different experience...some of the campgrounds down on the gulf offer spots just a hop/skip to the beach from your campsite AND there is more seclusion and outdoorsiness for the kids to enjoy...the wife and I are really excited! I am by no means against a pop up camper...but when you camp down here in the southeast in the summer, rain happens...and one big part of a week or longer trip in this region is getting off and on alot of rain....I read that pop up tent style campers are not ideal for heavy rain scenario...then again I am inexperienced with this too...??

Then there is the factor that the reason I even learned about AS's is that my wifes good friend as we were talking about the concept starting raving on about how AS's would be the only one she would agree to own....after doing my own research there are plenty of quality non-AS options as well, so I dont buy into that...but when her friends encourage her, and plus she sees that shiny aluminmum, the allure is clear

But, yeah, who knows what I will end up doing...I like the pop up camper idea to do until 2014...or even 2015...I suspect I will do some renting and trying for sure...

Thanks you all.
Old 12-26-2012, 11:42 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
@Pricilla...your comments cracked me up...for a couple reasons:

1) my wife's name is "Priscilla"
2) I have had to drag her along on a couple things for which she innevitably loved so your comments made me laugh.

Interestingly, this will be one area I will not need to "pull teeth" as she has had experience with it already growing up AND (and this is a critical aspect) - all of her friends from her "mom's group" all talk up the idea.

Man, I could pitch the greatest idea ever to my wife, and perhaps she would be fairly skeptical. But if it was pitched by a bunch of her women friends, suddenly it must be a wonderful idea LOL.

I am being a bit opportunistic in saying this though...she really is not a credulous person at all...but lets face it...if you have all the friends' approval, then its an easier sell...way easier.

PS - dont know how many people butcher pronouncing her name....how many times do peopl have to say "prisciller?"....what? really? lol
Old 12-26-2012, 12:22 PM   #26
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
I noticed your love of camping at the Gulf as a favorite. Humidity and salt air are a problem for metal trailers, especially Airstream. To avoid future disappointment do some research on "corrosion on Airstreams" in this forum. There are extra preventive maintenance and repair methods that can be useful, or it may give you another perspective about Airstream ownership.

doug k
Old 12-26-2012, 01:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Yes, I have gleaned a decent amount so far about various maintenance issues related to AS's on this site...corrosion being one of them....

In all likelihood, the AS (if I were to go that route) would see the salty air...hmm...lets see....probably for the forseeable future probably two 1 week trips per year (I only have so much leave ) and perhaps a couple 3 or 4 day weekend trips....most of the other time will be putzing around locally...

But then again....this is just an estimate...I can see the allure of going to the beach for the weekend with the kids drawing us down more often than my estimates!

I will certainly have to take that point into MAJOR consideration...researching now for sure!
Old 12-26-2012, 02:35 PM   #28
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
oh jeez...that is attractive...

Damn, thats a hella lotta pages on just one single filliform corrosion post...jeez...

People get upset when that nice shiny image of their airstream is tarnished...errr....corroded

It will take me all night tonight just to read a couple of these threads in full...lol...