Old 01-29-2012, 03:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1988 29' Excella
Collinsville , Illinois
We have used Good Sam for the past couple of years and been very pleased with their service. We called them on a Sunday afternoon from Land between the lakes in Kentucky and got a tow truck in 1 1/2 hours. Have used them twice here around home for our other vehicles and had prompt response both times. They always take care of us and we have never paid anything to the drivers. Just signed their tickets.

Old 01-29-2012, 03:54 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by road geezer View Post
...i still pay for the good sam card, because the campground discounts are attractive.

i do get tired, however, with all the junk mail i get from them some of which is downright deceptive.
amen~

Old 01-29-2012, 05:43 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
We've had AAA for a while and received very good service with and without the trailer. I, however, switched to Good Sam because they offer better 'knowledge' with the emergencies one might have with RVs. Our 1st travel with our trailer after signing up SOLD me on GS. Our car became disabled on a rural highway and would not start. GS responded immediately with the offer to tow our trailer 20 miles to our intended destination and a separate tow for our car to a repair garage. However, they were having trouble locating a garage but kept calling me back with updates and then finally offered to tow the trailer immediately and return for the car when they had a place for the repair. I was able to get the car repaired along the side of the road (a whole another interesting and unforgetable story) and called to cancel the tow trucks. And do you know that GS called a while later to see if we reached our destination safely. I'm sold.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2012, 05:46 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post

I do get tired, however, with all the junk mail I get from them some of which is downright deceptive.
Ditto to that too!
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 07:52 AM   #19
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Road Geezer View Post
I do get tired, however, with all the junk mail I get from them some of which is downright deceptive.
You've got that right! I already signed up for Good Sam emergency road service (and paid up through 2014 besides), but I still get mailings asking me to sign up for it! The difference is, since I have ERS, they're asking me to sign up for Good Sam emergency roadside assistance, as if that's somehow different from Good Sam emergency road service.

On the other hand, Good Sam is not quite as bad in that department as is AARP! I guess AARP figures that old folks wouldn't get any mail if it wasn't for junk mail. Thank goodness my apartment complex places a large trash can right next to the mailboxes, so we can discard the junk mail without even bothering to carry it back inside first.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 08:33 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1995 30' Excella
Bowie , Maryland
I was going to switch to Good Sam this year when renewal for AAA came up, but my wife was not very happy with that. She's (and I, for that matter) had pretty decent luck with AAA for the much more common type of problem (i.e., your car is stuck and needs a tow), and we're afraid GS wouldn't be as good for that - they may have a smaller network and all. Further, when the battery died in my Impala, GS was able to bring a battery right to us, installed it, and tested the electrical system on the spot - all for just the price of the battery. My wife's car was there, too, and they tested her battery for her for free. After so many good experiences, it's hard to change.

And AAA did handle the B190 and the Cougar on the dolly when the B190 broke down. (That was quite a sight...should've gotten a picture.) That was a $130 towing bill that was covered completely by AAA.

I have questions that are probably unanswerable except by someone who has had both in our area - are they as fast as AAA when it comes to needing a tow nearby? My Cougar recently died in a parking lot; AAA was there about half an hour after I put in the request using their app. Would Good Sam have been as fast?

I totally agree on the junk mail thing. I nearly canceled GS altogether because of it, but then we discovered one campground we use frequently only offers a GS discount, not AAA. Sigh.

Sold but not forgotten: 1991 Airstream B190
Sold: 2006 F-250 6.0L Powerstroke Supercab
Skater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
"I have questions that are probably unanswerable except by someone who has had both in our area - are they as fast as AAA when it comes to needing a tow nearby? My Cougar recently died in a parking lot; AAA was there about half an hour after I put in the request using their app. Would Good Sam have been as fast?"

Skater - I had AAA for about for about 20 years (AAA Plus RV for the last 5 years) before switching to GS-ERS. Over the years, I used AAA numerous times for non-RV related events, and they were very prompt, and the service was great. The only reason I switched is because many of our travels take us out of the region. and after asking AAA at the state, regional, and national level, they could not guarantee that same level of service everywhere across the country. None of their answers were the same, giving the impression their policies varied by region.

Good Sam-ERS assured me their policies were consistent in the US and Canada, and they would provide transportation to the nearest campground for the Airstream and the TV, should the tow vehicle break down. This is the scenario I couldn't get AAA to guarantee.

I have used GS-ERS three times since we enrolled:
- Once for tow vehicle only, about 45 miles from home. They were there in about 30 minutes, and since it was after normal business hours, they delivered the truck (and us) to our house.
- Next time was when we had a flat tire on the Airstream just west of the Bay Bridge at 2:45 AM. They were there in about 35 minutes, changed the tire on the AS, and offered to plug the leak if that was the problem. It turned out to be a faulty valve stem.
- The last time was this past fall in British Columbia where we were towing a friend's 25 ft. Airstream with their vehicle. The tow vehicle had transmission problems. Even though the nearest civilization was 35 miles away, GS had a truck there in about an hour that carried the TV to a Chevrolet dealership, and towed the Airstream to a campground two miles away. This wasn't even our rig. After contacting the owner, he offered to contact his tow service, where he found out they would only cover the tow vehicle. We offered to use our GS, which we had just upgraded to the Platinum level (for coverage of borrowed and rental rigs) specifically for this trip. He contacted GS for us (he had a better cell signal) and see if they would cover the Airstream, if his service towed the vehicle. Good Sam volunteered that they would cover both, because it would be "less complicated". No money changed hands, no questions asked. The tow bill was over $400.

Now, the transmission problems, and the ride to the campground was an adventure best shared around a campfire.
Attached Images

WDCU
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2012, 10:01 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1999 25' Safari
Denver , Colorado
Now that's good customer service. I'm glad that just signed up with GS.