Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-04-2007, 06:01 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to AirstreamGypsy
Going to the Salvage Yard

Okay some of you may have seen the photo below in the May Photo Contest. Not the right place I admit.

Here is the deal short and fast. A friend of mine bought this 1996 28' AS in pristine condition. Rolled it on the way home. Did not insure it. State Farm say they will not cover anything. It was his very first. He is just going to call the towing yard and have them "get rid of it". He has absolutely no interest in trying to do anything with it himself. (I don't want to be mean here but... he is not an "Airstream Person".)

Anyway I was figuring someone needs something from it. I am sure the axles are fine... I am guessing if you would pay the tow yard, I think around a $700 and maybe $1500 to him you could probably have it.

Trailer is in Essex, CA on I-40.

PM me if you think you are interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010171.jpg
Views:	222
Size:	98.0 KB
ID:	38662   Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010173.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	83.9 KB
ID:	38663  

My Earthship
AirstreamGypsy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:03 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Off on Price

Okay, sorry. I think it is in better condition than I thought, so the price is probably higher. Pretty sure it can be towed.
My Earthship
Old 06-04-2007, 06:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Okay, here is your first post on this accident: http://www.airforums.com/forums/395252-post120.html

Was there ever any idea of the towing setup, WD/antisway, time of day, how many hours on the road, on a curve or an an intersection, other vehicles involved?

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 07:01 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Thanks Canoe.

No other vehicle. Yes he had a Reese on it from the PO, an excellent setup it seemed. AnitiSway not sure about the WD. Just 1/2 an hour after having breakfast. Medium incline, on 1-40 out of Ludlow, wind gust took it. My GUESS is he over corrected when he hit the shoulder. Never towed anything but a motorcycle trailer before.

And it looks the the get out of jail card is around $1300 plus $35
every day from now on. I'd say if that was paid and he is offered what the buyer thinks it is worth that would be fine.

Apparently the pink slip goes to the tow yard in the next couple of days.
My Earthship
Old 06-04-2007, 09:10 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I can see the ebay add now:

1996 28 ' piece of Americana.
Great shape for it's age.
Everything worked the last trip out.
The refrigerator was recently burped.
It has a few dents that I have been told could easily be pulled out with a plunger.
Low reserve, don't let this one slip by!

Oh, I forgot;
Tows like a dream

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 09:26 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
I can see the ebay add now:
Richard, how about: Don't know about the A/C but it worked the last time.

Even the cabinetry had to have been badly wrenched. It's not even sure that this is a fair Airstream frame. Listen to the insurance agent -- more trouble than it's worth...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 10:30 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamGypsy
Yes he had a Reese on it from the PO, an excellent setup it seemed. AnitiSway not sure about the WD. Just 1/2 an hour after having breakfast. Medium incline, on 1-40 out of Ludlow, wind gust took it.
I stopped using a weight distributing hitch and sway bar when I got my F250. Little squat, tows straight and easy with no fishtailing. Am I making a mistake? Would the weight distributing hitch or sway bar be a good idea to avoid a similar catastrophe?
Old 06-05-2007, 02:15 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
Would the weight distributing hitch or sway bar be a good idea to avoid a similar catastrophe?
This is an engineering question, not a matter of opinion. If you wish to know how much your front wheels are lifted when attached to the trailer, and how much chain tension is required to return the front TV wheels to their original loading, you could try punching your numbers in here:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f464...sis-19236.html?

However, if you want an unsubstantiated and valueless opinion, then yes, of course you should have weight distribution and weight control.

Nick.
Old 06-05-2007, 04:42 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall
I stopped using a weight distributing hitch and sway bar when I got my F250. Little squat, tows straight and easy with no fishtailing. Am I making a mistake? Would the weight distributing hitch or sway bar be a good idea to avoid a similar catastrophe?
Just my opinion, but both would be good to have and use. With my former tow vehicle, I had to use the WD to minimize porpoising; it also helped keep it straight on the road and minimize the effects of trucks passing us. With my currect TV (Dodge 3/4 diesel; weighs just over 7,000 lbs), I haven't used them and have never felt any issues, except braking. Added the Prodigy to help that.

The picture shows a "Titan" tow vehicle. I don't know what it weighs, or what it's rated tow capacity is, but I would bet lunch that your 250 is substantially heavier.

From reading the posts and recalling pics and such, it seems to me that many accidents could be classified as "the tail wagging the dog". I do not recall a single post describing an accident with a 3/4 ton truck being used as the tow vehicle.

Not that an accident cannot happen with any combination. I am strongly in the camp of getting a larger "margin of error" by eliminating marginal tow vehicle setups. The ability to make emergency manuevers (swerving, stopping, accelerating, etc), or absorb a wind gust (natural or from passing trucks, etc), depends on lots of variables. I feel that it's best if the capability of the tow vehicle is not in question.

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 05:53 AM   #10
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue
I do not recall a single post describing an accident with a 3/4 ton truck being used as the tow vehicle.
The larger the TV, the larger the fudge factor. That being said, if you have a 3/4 ton TV, don't think that it can't happen. In this thread http://www.airforums.com/forums/f238...one-27195.html the F-250 ended up on it's back with the trailer in a ditch. Ice on the road was the cause of this accident and even a F-250 will come in second when up against mother nature.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 07:50 AM   #11
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue
With my former tow vehicle, I had to use the WD to minimize porpoising; With my currect TV (Dodge 3/4 diesel; weighs just over 7,000 lbs), I haven't used them and have never felt any issues, except braking. Added the Prodigy to help that.
Would your insurance company refuse cover if you had an accident without WD and sway control? Have you checked your owner's manual? I also have the Dodge 3/4 ton diesel.

From the "1998 Dodge Ram Pickup Owner's Manual Cummins Turbo Diesel", Second Edition, Chrysler Corporation reference 81-326-9822, page 146 :-

"Trailer sway control and equalizing hitch are required for tongue weights over 350 lbs. (159 kg)"

You will note the word "required", rather than "recommended". Tongue weight for my Excella 25 foot is 800 pounds. Even if I were not convinced of the need for the distribution (equalizing) hitch on the grounds of safety, I would use it to protect my legal position in the event of an accident.

Your model may have a different requirement, of course.
Nick.
Old 06-05-2007, 08:07 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickcrowhurst
However, if you want an unsubstantiated and valueless opinion, then yes, of course you should have weight distribution and weight control.

Nick.
One more. Our TV is a 2007 Ford F350, crew cab, diesel, long bed, 4WD. Like a rock! I use WD and anti-sway. Both cheap insurance. FWIW.

Fully retired now!
Remember:
Never start anything before noon and always plan on being finished by 5.
I will never HAVE to be anywhere ever again!
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 08:14 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Good Info all

Nick,

Thanks for that little link. I am goin to check it out myself. I am actually worried about the opposite for myself.

for example can you have too much truck for the trailer, is an F150 too big for a Bambi.
My Earthship
Old 06-05-2007, 08:24 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Mancos , Colorado
Oh and Richard,

I am laughing like crazy!

Sorry that the owner isn't

I hear you guys aren't going to make the Lizard Head Rally? We'll miss you.
My Earthship
Old 06-05-2007, 09:13 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Quote:
Nick,I am actually worried about the opposite for myself. for example can you have too much truck for the trailer, is an F150 too big for a Bambi.
I wouldn't be concerned about "too much truck", provided the WD bars were soft enough so that shock loadings were not transferred from a hard suspension. The WD calculator would give the chain tension required. You would then need the lowest rating bars that would supply that tension. I would also make sure that the TV's rear tire pressures were adjusted according to the actual load measured on a scale with the trailer hitched up, so the tires are not too hard.
Nick.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:32 AM   #16
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
That was hidden black ice. I was making it as I drove and cic not know it.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 09:35 AM   #17
More than one rivet loose

Currently Looking...
Los Alamos , New Mexico
It may be a mistake. Read your towing manual that came with your truck. mine states that over a certain wieght you must have a WD hitch. I would have to look at mine to find out exactly what weight that is.

Looking for a 1962 Flying Cloud

thecatsandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
This is odd. If it is attached to the vehicle, the comprehensive auto should cover that wreck. I don't understand why they aren't. RV insurance is for when you are unhooked. If it's hitched then your auto ins covers it. Or is this just peculiar to my insurance?

Quote:
Okay some of you may have seen the photo below in the May Photo Contest. Not the right place I admit.

Here is the deal short and fast. A friend of mine bought this 1996 28' AS in pristine condition. Rolled it on the way home. Did not insure it. State Farm say they will not cover anything. It was his very first. He is just going to call the towing yard and have them "get rid of it". He has absolutely no interest in trying to do anything with it himself. (I don't want to be mean here but... he is not an "Airstream Person".)

PM me if you think you are interested.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:07 PM   #19
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
I'm pretty sure that my auto would cover liab but if I did not include value of the trailer in my comp then I don't think I would have replacement coverage.

Bur I've been wrong lots.

Pat
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2007, 06:41 PM   #20
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
I have trailer liability as well as comp on the trailer. The extra liability is for if a towing-specific problem occurs, like the trailer electrocuting a bystander if the campground wiring polarity is wrong, a propane tank exploding, etc. The comp has to be for the trailer, the truck's comp will only cover the truck.