Old 05-21-2009, 07:40 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Married - not Conjoined Twins

Originally Posted by DEITZ645 View Post

I too would like to take an extended leave of absence for a year or two and see the back roads of these United States. I always wanted to follow the path of Lewis And Clark, tour all the Civil War battle fields, follow the Natchez Trace, drive Route 66, visit Yellowstone, visit Yosemite, and the list goes on forever...The only problem is getting my wife away from our 18 month old grandson. She talks a good game, but when push comes to shove I don't think she could do it. I am an only son of an only son, my only living family is my mom so I don't have the family ties that my wife has, she is one of seven and the family is very close. Maybe when our grandson retires we'll be able to get away.
I know a lot of happy married people who don't live together full time. Take her with you for two to six weeks and send her home for a week. Rinse and repeat.

Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 07:35 AM   #16
Rivet Master
1967 26' Overlander
Upperco , Maryland

That's the advantage of daughters. While we are on hiatus, I expect my wife will need to "bust out" every so often to see one of our girls. I can drive her to the airport, put her on a plane and pick her up a week later. I also have some extensive hunting and fishing plans during hiatus that will keep me away from the Overlander. I reckon the "personal space" issue will require some management, but that's true no matter how big one's domicile might be.

hampstead38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2009, 09:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master
1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
My DH gets homesick for the kids and grands much sooner than I. I love them, but I've learned and I've grown very comfortable with the fact that they have their lives separate from mine and vice versa. My view is that they can come meet us a week or so along the way for their family trips as well as pull us back from ours. After two weeks, he's wanting to turn the tv back toward home and I'm still looking outward and onward. Honestly, I think part of his yearning for home is really yearning for his leather recliner, so part of my retirement travel plan is to pull out that awful sofa and replace it with two Ekhorn type chair/ottomans or something to replicate his loved recliner! This pull between us once out on the road is not easily resolved. I've enjoyed the posts above that give various points of view. ~G Yikes, I realize this is or is about to become a hijacked thread. Reconnecting now to John Galt and Dabney...and a simple independent life.

1995 Airstream Classic Limited 30' ~ Gypsy
1978 Argosy Minuet, 6.0~Minnie/GPZWGN
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote