Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2011, 10:41 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
1965 17' Caravel
La La Land , Wisconsin
Give me reasons to buy Airstream!

Hubby and I went to the RV show in Madison last weekend. There were no AS at the show to compare the apples and oranges with. Of course, Jayco, Dutchmen, etc., have HUGE price savings over AS. Plus, I've read on the forum that AS has almost as many issues with leaks as a cheap trailer. Since we live in WI and our funds are hard to come by, I am having a hard time convincing hubby that we need an AS. This will be our 4th RV and I'm truly tired of trading in something because there are problems. As I see it, the others are just disposable trailers (although with the money saved it might not matter). After years of pulling them down the highway, they all seem to wear and tear apart. Is there a really, truly, convincing argument to buy AS? Or, is it just the same as buying a Lexus or a Cadillac (they get old too)? Not saying that it would be a bad thing, but I've never been the kind of person who had to wear Guess jeans and carry a Coach purse. So, I need to know if there's more to it than the name. Give me your best sales pitch
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 10:55 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
show me one of those jayco dutchman etc. in 20 30 40 years...you can find airstreams that age all over the place...don't see too many others that age rolling around! they are alot more expensive but they're much better built and they hold thier value and they're easier to maintain in my opinion...plus they just look soooo cool!
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Corpus Christi , Texas
For the most part, most trailers use the same components like a/c, refrigerators, stoves, sinks, faucets, furnaces, water heaters, lights, etc. That said, those components all have about the same life span, so there's no advantage there. The big advantage of the Airstream over other brands is the very long life of the bodies and the ease of towing. They are towed very easily with an F-350 or F-550, even a 25 footer!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:01 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse View Post
Hubby and I went to the RV show in Madison last weekend. There were no AS at the show to compare the apples and oranges with. Of course, Jayco, Dutchmen, etc., have HUGE price savings over AS. Plus, I've read on the forum that AS has almost as many issues with leaks as a cheap trailer. Since we live in WI and our funds are hard to come by, I am having a hard time convincing hubby that we need an AS. This will be our 4th RV and I'm truly tired of trading in something because there are problems. As I see it, the others are just disposable trailers (although with the money saved it might not matter). After years of pulling them down the highway, they all seem to wear and tear apart. Is there a really, truly, convincing argument to buy AS? Or, is it just the same as buying a Lexus or a Cadillac (they get old too)? Not saying that it would be a bad thing, but I've never been the kind of person who had to wear Guess jeans and carry a Coach purse. So, I need to know if there's more to it than the name. Give me your best sales pitch
1. You will probably never Have to trade it in due to problems.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:03 AM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
As someone who's considering his first TT and is a geeky tech and design snob, I'm down to 2 choices... Airstream or Earthbound. Now, part of the reason for me is the interior. Only the Earthbound offers an interior that appeals to me in the way that the Safaris and International CCDs do, and that difference in interior design makes a HUGE difference to me. To sane people, it's probably less important.

My impression is that ANY RV (TT, Moho, houseboat, etc) is a maintenance-intensive proposition. Older Airstreams seem to be more rewarding of good maintenance than many older SOBs, but that could be that there are more people devoted to truly maintaining their Airstreams rather than just patching them up to get them to the deer lease. You'll get much better-informed responses from people who've actually owned Airstreams for years, I'm sure, but I wanted to share my perspective as someone in the market who really wants an AS but is looking at the final price as well.
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
2. You have to look at it. I look out the w indow right now and dont see anything ugly. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2018 30' Classic
Austin , Texas
Last month we caravanned down to Quartzite with several members of my family. We were following my sister and brother in law with their brand new white box trailer. We watched that trailer whip back and forth all over the road in the wind down by Palm Springs, while were having no issues what so ever, made me very grateful that we had an Airstream.

Besides how incredibly cool they look, you also have this great Airstream community behind you every step of the way.

Spend some time shopping, and you'll find a great deal.
ASwifey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 28' Ambassador
Morada , California
That's a tall order - I'll leave it to Airstream's Marketing people...However...

Aside from the quality/construction/cost issues, Airstream has that certain 'cachet' that seems to attact people where ever one travels...tough to put a price on that...It is the ONE trailer that's still here, after years and years of exposure - I'll bet there's 1000's of other 'expired' brands scattered in the RV archives

I agree, new AS's are are BIG ticket item, that have caused many of us here to seek out older, more affordable, AS's to fix up or modify to our own desires or uses...

You're going to find 'flaws' in any RV you buy - warranty helps when you buy 'new'...when buying an older rig, you have to inspect it as best as you or your helper can determine, and then 'negotiate' the price accordingly to allow you some wiggle room to affect any repairs, etc...

Buying NEW does have the advantage of ordering the options and features you want - with older units, of course, you usually have to make some compromises...

Would we do it again?...Yes, we're happy with our older rig, but lust after the new AS designs available today - our Lotto tickets just haven't been very cooperative, to date!
Old 02-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Hi from Spring Green and welcome to the forums.

I don't know if I can give you a single good reason, but I'll tell you our story.

We looked at used travel trailers all last summer. A new one was out of the question. I didn't want a fifth wheel, my wife wanted a slide out. There are a lot of trailers for sale in the state and we saw a lot of them. But, we didn't see any that we thought were a good "value" or any that we really liked.

Then we saw a 37 year old Airstream in relatively good condition at a very reasonable price. After reading a lot of threads on this site, familiarizing myself with the important issues for that age trailer, etc., we looked at it and bought it. It was the first time we saw a trailer that excited us and one that seemed to meet our criteria for "value".

I think the single most important reason that you see Airstreams that are 30, 40, 50 years old still being used is that they were well constructed utilizing quality components. A quality trailer, properly maintained, should remain useable and hold a reasonable resale value for a long time. The less expensive and cheaply made trailers will both deteriorate and depreciate at a much faster rate.

So, for me, quality and resale value would seem to stand out.

Good luck with your decision. And happy hunting.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I spent a couple of days in a Kentucky state park last summer and was surrounded by large 5th wheels and MOs all with several bump out rooms. They were all very beautiful and spacious. The funny thing was everybody came over to see my little 45 year old Safari. That means a bunch to me.

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
raleigh , North Carolina
cool factor.
RaleighAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:16 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
More aerodynamic = better gas mileage
More aerodynamic = less sway (with the correct hitch setup)

GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #13

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

We have a 2005 Airstream 25FB, named Lucy. We have had Lucy for five years. We bought her new in 2006. Thus far, we have spent just shy of 800 nights in her, and have pulled her 70,000 miles. She has held up very well considering the heavy use and abuse that we have subjected her to. We have done some minor repairs and some upgrades over the years. We don't believe that there is another brand of travel trailer that could have withstood our heavy use.

Lucy still looks pretty much as she did the day we got her. She does have a few rock dings on her front end, but otherwise looks great.

Yes, Airstreams are expensive. They are not perfect, but they are that much better than anything else out there.

Brian
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2964.JPG
Views:	273
Size:	193.3 KB
ID:	121830   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3435.JPG
Views:	260
Size:	190.1 KB
ID:	121831  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN3457 (Small).JPG
Views:	268
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	121832   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN5310.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	376.6 KB
ID:	121833  

WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:17 AM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1961 28' Ambassador
1975 31' Excella 500
Bladensburg , Ohio
3. It's an Airstream; not a house on wheels. Some of the new RV's are beautiful and pricey - but they don't remind me of camping and taking it easy... they're like a new rolling house on wheels. Airsteam is an icon and is Americana... and they hold their value well.
61Ambassador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
FEB 24th - 27th Milwaukee RV show State fair park.
The local Airstream dealer "Ewald Airstream" will be there.
GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It looks good, it feels good. It is forever repairable, and after 50 years or so, it still looks good and feels good.

Try that criteria on the bargain brands.
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Airstreams

When buying a new Airstream, you rely on the dealer.

When buying a used Airstream, especially from an individual or a non Airstream dealer, the following should always take place.

A-----Always
I-----Inspect
R-----Regardless of
S----- Stories
T----- Told
R----- Regarding
E----- Equipment
A----- And
M----- Maintenance

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Give me reasons to buy Airstream!

Greetings funhouse!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by funhouse View Post
Since we live in WI and our funds are hard to come by, I am having a hard time convincing hubby that we need an AS. This will be our 4th RV and I'm truly tired of trading in something because there are problems. As I see it, the others are just disposable trailers (although with the money saved it might not matter).
Airstreams have their teething problems as do most if not all travel trailers and RVs. One big difference is that once the teething problems are sorted out, the Airstream will still have lots of life left. Unlike most other travel trailers, the wall structure is aluminum ribs rather than 1" x 2" lumber -- the only structural wood in an Airstream is the floor -- if coach is kept leak-free the life expectancy is infinite. True, certain appliances and mechanical devices will eventually wear out and need to be replaced, but the coach structure should be sound enough to warrant replacements. I can't speak directly to new Airstream coaches as both of mine were Vintage when purchased, and I can't say that I regret a single penny that I have spent on either one.

Something else to keep in mind is the camaraderie of a group of owners of similar coaches. There is a very active Wally Byam Caravan Club International Unit in Wisconsin. Even though I am several hours South of Wisconsin, I still maintin my membership in the unit and try to make as many of their activities as possible.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would say that it depends on how much you will use it. If it is going to set in a storage lot or your driveway for 11+ month's of the year. It doesn't make much difference.
All Rv's require maintenance, some more than others.
I believe there are some out there that if taken care of would last as long as an Airstream, but would not hold the resale value. Of course if you buy new the depreciation in the first few years is a real eye opener. So do you want to buy an $80,000 unit and have it lose $40,000 in 5 years or a $40,000 unit and have it lose $20,000 in 5 years.
I own one (An Argosy) that is 37 years old and expected to have to do some major fixing of things; I don't believe it is any more expensive to up grade an Airstream as long as you don't have to deal with the skin or frame of the trailer.
I would not consider buying a new Airstream; they are way too expensive for what you get and as far as I know from reading here; owners of units less than 10 years old are faced with many of the same problems that owners of vintage units are faced with. Rotting floors, suicide doors and frame problems.
I just don't know why Airstream doesn't come into the 21st century and upgrade their designs to solve these problems. They still are the Cadillac of Travel Trailers. But just like General Motors use to be the worlds largest auto maker; there is a Toyota or Honda lurking in the wings.
Simple things like resolving the floor rot problems; the suicide door problems and building it on a stronger frame would be good places to start.
Of course unless you have owned one you don't know about these inherent problems; you may not know it even if you do own an AS.
Of course the SOB have problems as well. People put 10's of thousands of dollars into restoring the "Tin Can " trailers as well.
There are a lot of SOB's out there that are nice and cost a lot less than an AS.
If I were in the market I would certainly do a lot of comparing and research on forums such as this one before I would make a choice.
Give serious consideration as to how much it will be used; it's intended purpose to live in for extended periods of time or just to go on holidays.
I am convinced that if anyone buys an RV as an investment, they might as well burn their money.
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
bottom line is you get what you're comfortable with and what you feel you can afford..and you get out there! that's really what it's all about.
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote