Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-11-2011, 01:10 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Suwanee , Georgia
Send a message via AIM to Silverexpress
Why Buy An Airstream?

Personally I think you just fit into one of three categories, a white box dude, a motor coach kind of person, or an Airstream kind of person. For the Airstream person, only an Airstream will do. The other units just don't hold any attraction. I dreamed of owning an Airstream for a long time before I finally bought one. I've had quite a few compliments on my unit from the white box crowd and one time had a motor coach guy come up to me and say "this damn thing (motor coach) is just too big and too complicated for me alone, I need to get a unit like yours". I think cost drives a lot of buying decisions. A lot of folks that would like an Airstream get scared off by the price and end up with something less than what they really wanted. If I wanted a new trailer today, I would just go out there and get another Airstream. I'm just an Airstream kind of guy.
AIR #34494

Living the Airstream Life:
Silverexpress is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 01:29 PM   #42
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
The best looking guy should have the best looking trailer. Of course if that was true, Id be hauling a manure spreader. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:05 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
saline , Michigan
We had an ultra lite 19 footer that , when towing, we got only 10 - 11 mpg. Also, we could feel every bump with the usual tug and pull on the truck making the ride a little uncomfortable. After towing the larger 28 foot AS which weighs twice as much, we got 10 - 12.2 mpg and it pulled like it wasn't there. The suspension makes all the difference .
And, I certainly agree with everyone else about the cool factor. You really feel like you are indeed camping in this trailer.
Kosm1o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 02:20 PM   #44
Rivet Master

2007 23' International CCD
Lapeer , Michigan
Top 10 Reasons to Buy an Airstream:

1. No learning curve. You already know where the forum is
2. Availability. Yes, they still make them
3. Promotes good citizenship. Stealing is against the law.
4. Flattering profile. It makes your truck's ass end look smaller
5. Lowers cortisol. Aluminum chills well.
6. Easily climb social ladders, by either getting hitched and marrying up in life, or by becoming an executive officer in the world's oldest RV club (and they are really old)
7. It's practical. You can smuggle many more people into the drive-in.
8. It's good insurance. When someone messes with you they mess with the whole trailer park
9. It's secure. You can fire your gun while parked in the WalMart parking lot.
10. No need for a doorman. Your friends will instinctively know not to come a-knockin' when the Airstream is a-rockin.'
** BONUS MATERIAL There is never a dull moment! You can light a match in the bathroom and your house can explode right off its wheels
wheel interested is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 04:09 PM   #45
4 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
1985 31' Excella
1969 29' Ambassador
Crescent , Oklahoma
It just makes you feel good!
lahrfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 06:23 PM   #46
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheel interested
Top 10 Reasons to Buy an Airstream:

1. No learning curve. You already know where the forum is
2. Availability. Yes, they still make them
3. Promotes good citizenship. Stealing is against the law.
4. Flattering profile. It makes your truck's ass end look smaller
5. Lowers cortisol. Aluminum chills well.
6. Easily climb social ladders, by either getting hitched and marrying up in life, or by becoming an executive officer in the world's oldest RV club (and they are really old)
7. It's practical. You can smuggle many more people into the drive-in.
8. It's good insurance. When someone messes with you they mess with the whole trailer park
9. It's secure. You can fire your gun while parked in the WalMart parking lot.
10. No need for a doorman. Your friends will instinctively know not to come a-knockin' when the Airstream is a-rockin.'
** BONUS MATERIAL There is never a dull moment! You can light a match in the bathroom and your house can explode right off its wheels
Lol! Thanks for the great post! Made me laugh and I sure needed it today
Old 02-12-2011, 02:13 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
1965 17' Caravel
La La Land , Wisconsin
Well, you've all convinced us that we just HAVE to get an Airstream! So, we're now in the process of determining whether we need a 19, 23 or 25ft one. So many, many choices out there!!! I thought for sure that hubby would try and talk me into the big white box trailer, but he surprised me!!! I am leaning toward the 23' + up because of the freezer (we love our ice cream ) and the double axle. Luckily, we thought ahead and already own the 2500 Suburban (hooray)!! Price will probably be the determining factor in whatever we buy, but I'm so happy it will be Airstream! Thanks for all the input
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 03:28 PM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2017 23' International
Ridgefield , Washington
As

I can feed into this wonderful discussion from the point of view of having been an owner of a fifth wheel.

In our travels to visit our kids in Calif, we decided to pursue an RV, however we didn't want to purchase a TT because we had seen too many accidents involving TT's along the I-5 corridor. We didn't research TT's further at the time to even consider an AS. We knew we did not want a white "box tralier" , as they are often called.

We purchased the best fiver we could buy ( just didn't want two engines with a MH and a toad). The Cameo suited us well for a time, b/c it was spacious, etc., but the bottom line was that it was a pain to tow weighing 15,000#. We were very limited to where we could stop/camp, and particularly where we could refuel b/c of the height of the unit. Every time we passed under a bridge or an overpass, we held our breath.

Finally we had had enough and began researching TT's. Airstream proved to be the finest unit constructed and most highly rated TT on the market! Period!

We decided that the AS was for us, so we ordered one- and very grateful that we could do so. I have ridden shotgun in TV's pulling and AS and it seems like that the AS "lurks" behind the TV somewhere. Their low profile is extremely SAFE and reliable to tow- the safest of the TT's-and all towables for that matter.

Other reasons to purchase an AS would be simplicity of living and travel, a huge community of gregarious and knowledgeable fellow travelers, and the longevity of the the unit. Someday we will pass ours on to our kids.....

I could continue, but..........

Do not be too enamored with the floor plans. 90% of prospective buyers are "tunneled" into the floor plan rather than the quality and construction of the TT.

Good luck and take your time......
Zigidachs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:23 PM   #49
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
This question comes up regularly in threads asking about Airstream quality and whether to buy new or used.

I think the coolness factor is a big one for those of us who are into good design (form and function merged). It also tows easily. It's an American icon. It always attracts attention. The basic body lasts a long time.

The original design was a stroke of genius, but corporate suits can screw up anything. They have cut corners and put a lot of cheap stuff in them. Some of the factory workers are sloppy and uncaring. Some of the frames may have been cheapened (one frequent poster claims so, but I don't recall anyone else commenting on that). Some have had the body separate from the frame.

This may be an average quality RV with an above average design and an above average price. There are better quality RV's, but none with the same design.

More often I am seeing people comparing them to Earthbound. It's probably worth looking at them for comparison sake.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 04:40 PM   #50
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I wouldn't jump to buy one

Quote:
Originally Posted by noreen View Post
1. You will probably never Have to trade it in due to problems.
I bought a 25' Safari Special Edition 6 years ago. I was surprised at the number of problems I had. I had many problems were Airsteam manufacturing problems in addition to 3rd party component failures. At one point I got the president of Airstream involved. I had literally dozens of documented individual warranty claim items. I did use the trailer maybe 100 days per year in the first two years so I had a good chance to shake out many problems that Airstream had to pay to fix. But I had to spend considerable time going to and from the dealership. Eventually I got everything fixed but I'd never say I made a great decision to buy Airstream. While I don't think it is an error to buy one, I think the reverse is equally true.
mistermcfrug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 06:06 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

2010 30' Classic
Tyler , Texas
Funhouse...When I retired in 2006 my wife and I ordered a 2006 75th anniversary edition 25 ft. Safari primarily for the resale value. We weren't sure whether we would enjoy trailer traveling so we wanted something return most of our money back. We so enjoyed the Safari that we decided to move up to the 30 ft. Classic Limited and promptly put our Safari up for sale. We sold the Safari within 1 month for $4,000 less than we paid for it in 2006. I am pretty sure you can't do that with any other make of trailer. The main thing for buying one is the great people that you meet who are AS owners.
patrick p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 07:42 PM   #52
2 Rivet Member

2005 31' Classic
2005 31' Classic
Douglass , Texas
I agree with all of the above. Bought mine new in 2001. Made 40 states in last 10 years and it is still like new. Aerodynamics makes towing safer, easier, less fuel consumption. Extremely comfortable. Does'nt shake apart like SOB. We recently thought it was time for a change but after looking at 5th wheels, and motor homes, we decided we could not improve on what we already have, our AS. Will retire in October and plan to be on the road for maybe a couple of years in it.
jrudd1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:03 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We moved from a VW camper to the 20' Airstream and it is wonderful. But for most retirees I would recommend a 25' front bed. This is because it is now the most desirable model for many good reasons. Watch the dealer inventories. This is the one that moves quickly, if it doesn't work out for you. And you already have the tow vehicle for it.

Doug
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2011, 08:20 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Tucson , Arizona
You can stay in any park you want. If they ask, tell 'em its three years old. Unless its an Airstream park, they'll never know. Then you can pay a princely sum and hang out with people that you don't really like.
gatorboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 01:58 PM   #55
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by mistermcfrug View Post
I bought a 25' Safari Special Edition 6 years ago. I was surprised at the number of problems I had. I had many problems were Airsteam manufacturing problems in addition to 3rd party component failures. At one point I got the president of Airstream involved. I had literally dozens of documented individual warranty claim items. I did use the trailer maybe 100 days per year in the first two years so I had a good chance to shake out many problems that Airstream had to pay to fix. But I had to spend considerable time going to and from the dealership. Eventually I got everything fixed but I'd never say I made a great decision to buy Airstream. While I don't think it is an error to buy one, I think the reverse is equally true.

I have had some minor issues also,,BUT Airstream custimer service is bar none. These are handmade trailers that will last. Anything you buy will have "issues" Have an open mind and enjoy!!! No matter what your decision.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 02:39 PM   #56
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I sold a Featherlite fifth wheel car hauler with living quarters to buy a 2006 Safari 25' FB. Quite frankly, the Featherlite was a better quality RV than the AS. I'm looking at The Evergreen RV line and I'm impressed with a unit that is roughly half the price of an AS. The fact that I have my wife's hand me down T&C van as a daily driver proves that I don't have self esteem problems that require owning an AS travel trailer!

Funhouse buy what makes financial sense based on your needs.
Denis4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:20 PM   #57
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
The fact that I have my wife's hand me down T&C van as a daily driver proves that I don't have self esteem problems that require owning an AS travel trailer!

WOW!! Shocking statement.

"Require"..."Self Eteem"????

Glad you still hanging around here...

BTW,,..I looked up you Evergreen RV's and to me, IMO look like... well lets say Less than half the price. To me there is something about that Aluminium inside as well as out that shows quality..on the Newer Streams.They feel soild .I also read that when you push on the walls...well they "give" and are hollowsounding.When you walk in an Airstream it Feels like quality and can be seen..the SOB ..well not so much. Not my Cup of tea. Might as well buy a 5th wheel, IMO..To each ihis/her own.

There is nothing that you can walk into and says and FEELS quality, yet...compared to Airstream,..again IMO.

Just because it isn't a wood floor Isn't gonna change my perspective.

Stream Safe.

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-13-2011, 05:26 PM   #58
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The only thing I've seen drain my bank account quicker than my Airscream was a blackjack table in Vegas. It even took my shorts off one day.
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2011, 05:33 PM   #59
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Splitrock View Post
The only thing I've seen drain my bank account quicker than my Airscream was a blackjack table in Vegas. It even took my shorts off one day.
YES!! But you have to agree that you get a lot more out of it than losing and walking away empty handed.

I don't think I want to know the shorts story....

Shane

TAC ID TX-1432
Old 02-13-2011, 07:19 PM   #60
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Wife and I bought a 1986 Sovereign 31' as our "starter" Airstream with every intention of buying a 28' CCD if we liked the lifestyle.

Well, we didn't.

We LOVED it.

Somehow, though, the 28' CCD never swam back into the picture, We have roughly 20 grand in our Sovereign. It is watertight, has new flooring, new stove/oven, new water heater, new AC and everything works. Everything fabric has been replaced with tropical motif.

It has HUGE closets and under-bed storage. Generous tankage as well.

But wait! There's more!

It is paid for.

And we love it. Sometimes we'll be leaving a campground and turn to see one last flash of silver in a sea of eggshell white fiberglass...

mike
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote