Old 02-08-2011, 11:22 AM   #15
Formally 'tiger'
1974 Argosy 28
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Wauwatosa , Wisconsin
FEB 24th - 27th Milwaukee RV show State fair park.
The local Airstream dealer "Ewald Airstream" will be there.

GeocamperAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:27 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
It looks good, it feels good. It is forever repairable, and after 50 years or so, it still looks good and feels good.

Try that criteria on the bargain brands.

dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:31 AM   #17
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer
Corona , California

When buying a new Airstream, you rely on the dealer.

When buying a used Airstream, especially from an individual or a non Airstream dealer, the following should always take place.

R-----Regardless of
S----- Stories
T----- Told
R----- Regarding
E----- Equipment
A----- And
M----- Maintenance

Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:39 AM   #18
Moderator Emeritus
1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Give me reasons to buy Airstream!

Greetings funhouse!

Welcome to the Forums!

Originally Posted by funhouse View Post
Since we live in WI and our funds are hard to come by, I am having a hard time convincing hubby that we need an AS. This will be our 4th RV and I'm truly tired of trading in something because there are problems. As I see it, the others are just disposable trailers (although with the money saved it might not matter).
Airstreams have their teething problems as do most if not all travel trailers and RVs. One big difference is that once the teething problems are sorted out, the Airstream will still have lots of life left. Unlike most other travel trailers, the wall structure is aluminum ribs rather than 1" x 2" lumber -- the only structural wood in an Airstream is the floor -- if coach is kept leak-free the life expectancy is infinite. True, certain appliances and mechanical devices will eventually wear out and need to be replaced, but the coach structure should be sound enough to warrant replacements. I can't speak directly to new Airstream coaches as both of mine were Vintage when purchased, and I can't say that I regret a single penny that I have spent on either one.

Something else to keep in mind is the camaraderie of a group of owners of similar coaches. There is a very active Wally Byam Caravan Club International Unit in Wisconsin. Even though I am several hours South of Wisconsin, I still maintin my membership in the unit and try to make as many of their activities as possible.

Kevin D. Allen
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC/Free Wheelers #6359
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International/1999 GMC K2500 Suburban (7400 VORTEC/4.11 Differentials)
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre/1975 Cadillac Eldorado Convertible (8.2 Liter V8/2.70 Final Drive)
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:40 AM   #19
Rivet Master
1974 Argosy 26
Morrill , Nebraska
I would say that it depends on how much you will use it. If it is going to set in a storage lot or your driveway for 11+ month's of the year. It doesn't make much difference.
All Rv's require maintenance, some more than others.
I believe there are some out there that if taken care of would last as long as an Airstream, but would not hold the resale value. Of course if you buy new the depreciation in the first few years is a real eye opener. So do you want to buy an $80,000 unit and have it lose $40,000 in 5 years or a $40,000 unit and have it lose $20,000 in 5 years.
I own one (An Argosy) that is 37 years old and expected to have to do some major fixing of things; I don't believe it is any more expensive to up grade an Airstream as long as you don't have to deal with the skin or frame of the trailer.
I would not consider buying a new Airstream; they are way too expensive for what you get and as far as I know from reading here; owners of units less than 10 years old are faced with many of the same problems that owners of vintage units are faced with. Rotting floors, suicide doors and frame problems.
I just don't know why Airstream doesn't come into the 21st century and upgrade their designs to solve these problems. They still are the Cadillac of Travel Trailers. But just like General Motors use to be the worlds largest auto maker; there is a Toyota or Honda lurking in the wings.
Simple things like resolving the floor rot problems; the suicide door problems and building it on a stronger frame would be good places to start.
Of course unless you have owned one you don't know about these inherent problems; you may not know it even if you do own an AS.
Of course the SOB have problems as well. People put 10's of thousands of dollars into restoring the "Tin Can " trailers as well.
There are a lot of SOB's out there that are nice and cost a lot less than an AS.
If I were in the market I would certainly do a lot of comparing and research on forums such as this one before I would make a choice.
Give serious consideration as to how much it will be used; it's intended purpose to live in for extended periods of time or just to go on holidays.
I am convinced that if anyone buys an RV as an investment, they might as well burn their money.
Knowledge: "A gift to be shared. A treasure to receive."
TG Twinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:47 AM   #20
3 Rivet Member
1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
bottom line is you get what you're comfortable with and what you feel you can afford..and you get out there! that's really what it's all about.
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master
1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
An Airstream will get you to the campground, the people you meet in the Airstream community will make you want to stay.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member
1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
and you will always have a project
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master
2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
The best reason is BECAUSE
My 57 Overlander thread ( Holly is her name)

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
"Hubby and I went to the RV show in Madison last weekend. There were no AS at the show to compare the apples and oranges with. "

exactly - most rv dealer do not want you looking at an AS. they want you comparing 10 similar styles of the exact same box that will have to be replaced in less than 10 years.

'nuff said.
Jon & Deb
Phoebe & Ellis - Airstreaming Mini-Schauzers

I Don’t Always Pull A Trailer
But When I Do - I Pull An Airstream
Keep Moving My Friends
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member
1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Welcome to the forum

Like many have said, there are many factors that I would look at. If you or your spouse need ameneties when you camp, you should buy a newer one. If you don't and camp for the great outdoors part, buy an older one and save your money for gas and repairs.
When living in WI, we found our trailer along the side of the road near West Bend. An older couple was selling it, at what we now know, for a 'song'. Its been great for weekend get aways and our one week vacations in the summer each year. She's only 45 this year, and she's been to Yellowstone, Hot Springs, Mammoth Cave, and Niagara Falls. We have only had her 5 years. I know she needs new axles, but that will have to wait until next year. Oh, and it pulls real nice as well.

Oh well, if I didn't convince you to buy one, I just convinced myself to buy another one.
Cory, Angie, and 'Lucy'
1966 Sovereign International
2003 Black Chevy Silverado w/q-steer
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member
1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
If all the above comments are not convincing enough, AS are engineered. Every inch of an AS has propose designed intergrated for its use.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member
1965 Caravel , Wisconsin
THank you all for your replies. I have another question which I will post separately
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #28
2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Because when you take photos of all the beautiful places you visit -- you will have a beautiful trailer in your photo. To my family, our Airstream is a piece of art and we are very proud of her.

{blog}Just 5 More Minutes to Enjoy Non-Stop Outdoor Adventures and Culinary Discoveries in the Northwest with our Airstream ★Blogger for
J5MM is offline   Reply With Quote