Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-08-2011, 12:10 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
An Airstream will get you to the campground, the people you meet in the Airstream community will make you want to stay.
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:55 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 21' Globetrotter
nc , North Carolina
and you will always have a project
rock60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:59 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 22' International CCD
1957 26' Overlander
Plymouth , Minnesota
The best reason is BECAUSE

"Life itself is the most wonderful fairy tale"
(Hans Christian Andersen)

WBCCI 10289
TAC MN-69
AIR 11240
BradS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:03 PM   #24
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
"Hubby and I went to the RV show in Madison last weekend. There were no AS at the show to compare the apples and oranges with. "

exactly - most rv dealer do not want you looking at an AS. they want you comparing 10 similar styles of the exact same box that will have to be replaced in less than 10 years.

'nuff said.
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:12 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1966 30' Sovereign
Bethany , Illinois
Welcome to the forum

Like many have said, there are many factors that I would look at. If you or your spouse need ameneties when you camp, you should buy a newer one. If you don't and camp for the great outdoors part, buy an older one and save your money for gas and repairs.
When living in WI, we found our trailer along the side of the road near West Bend. An older couple was selling it, at what we now know, for a 'song'. Its been great for weekend get aways and our one week vacations in the summer each year. She's only 45 this year, and she's been to Yellowstone, Hot Springs, Mammoth Cave, and Niagara Falls. We have only had her 5 years. I know she needs new axles, but that will have to wait until next year. Oh, and it pulls real nice as well.

Oh well, if I didn't convince you to buy one, I just convinced myself to buy another one.
airstream66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:13 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Encino , California
If all the above comments are not convincing enough, AS are engineered. Every inch of an AS has propose designed intergrated for its use.
Land Shark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:24 PM   #27
2 Rivet Member

2018 23' International
1965 17' Caravel
La La Land , Wisconsin
THank you all for your replies. I have another question which I will post separately
funhouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:26 PM   #28
Airstreamer

2012 27' FB International
Bellevue , Washington
Because when you take photos of all the beautiful places you visit -- you will have a beautiful trailer in your photo. To my family, our Airstream is a piece of art and we are very proud of her.

Old 02-08-2011, 01:29 PM   #29

1998 34' Excella 1000
1995 36' Classic 36
Spencerville , Maryland
You and your husband need to look at some used Airstreams and see if you are able to find any that are within your capabilities to fix, or clean-up, and go camping in. If not, then look at a NEW SOB....

Don't buy an Airstream because everyone else loves them, or their is a strong feeling of "family", they hold their resale or any other reason... none of that will matter if you can't get in your truck and tow it somewhere and feel the joy of using it!

Oh, and the picture above is truly beautiful!
GREENovaters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 01:34 PM   #30
Rivet Master

1981 27' Excella II
mays landing , South Jersey
You only go around once. Do it right. Sal.
TAC N.J. 17
WBCCI 24740
noreen&sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 02:01 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Some buy for image. Some buy for nostalgia. Some buy due to the construction and engineering. I am the latter. Let's face it, the RV industry is about where the automotive industry was in the 70s. They all have quality issues. However, AS has airplane type riveted construction, somewhat thicker aluminum, and overall, just plain better engineered "stuff". It's a culmination of hundreds of little things. Sure there are issues, but keep in mind, folks post about their problems. They have a tendency not to post or call AS just to say how great the other things are. I've had SOBs. thin skinned, stapled together wood structure (not all, of course). My last SOB was 17 years old when it finally "got ahead" of me...and I'm an anal retentive mechanic. Dry rot WILL GET YOU, with the low cost entries. Sure, I could've performed surgery and repaired....but why. Book value was $1000. And, mind you, it was in pristene condition mechanically and visually. It's now a hunting cabin, where it will quickly deteriorate to nothing but a lump. My AS will be my "forever" trailer, barring any accidents or acts of God. I've got solid, long lasting bones to work with now. That's what you pay for.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:42 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Many to see...

Funhouse, last summer we were one day from starting our trek to the North Shore of Lake Superior, MN, when we noticed our refrig had quit-kaput. Many phone calls later, we found an AS dealer just to the NW of Minneapolis--Anoka-- who welcomed our problem, solved it, and had a new Dometic to fit our unit when we arrived at the dealership. All that just to point out a great dealer who is not unreasonably far from you. Now to the main point: this dealer had a huge show room filled with different models of AS, from tiny sports model to very large Classics with all the bells and whistles. I spent the day--the entire day-- touring and comparing these models while our AS was in "hospital" getting refrigerated. I can't remember the count of units on the floor, but it pretty well covered whatever I had wondered about from looking at AS catalogs and following this forum. For example, I finally found an AS that was fitted with two recliners in the front in place of the awful gaucho that is usually there, sat in it, saw how it fitted us, and immediately began redesigning our older Gypsy. The staff was incredibly helpful and cooperative, leaving us alone to tour, try out, imagine...and answering questions when we had them. We decided that if we were ever to shop for a new AS, we had found the display floor/dealership that would help us make our choice. We would recommend a trip to Anoka if you are wanting to see lots of new AS to test out. They had some older units as well that you could visit to compare new and used. Best wishes as you search for an answer to your question. ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:48 PM   #33
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
I just want to add.....whether you spend 10K or 300K....THEY ARE ALL MAINTENANCE PIGS! As others have said, the same appliances and equipment are used across the board. But, Ultimately, for a TT I'd recommend AS.
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 03:50 PM   #34
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Oak View , California
Just convince your husband you'll be more fun in an Airstream....
cclarkego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2002 19' Bambi
Northwestern Ontario , - on the backside of the map and just above the big green spot
I'm speaking for my wife here - she is quite a devout Catholic - different from myself - so maybe you can appreciate the shock that I felt when we (she) made our (her) final decision on what trailer to purchase for our retirement years ....

.... we had looked at what felt like 100's of trailers .....

.... over a 6 month period .....

..... narrowed things down to three manufacturers ....

..... Bigfoot, Award and Airstream .....

..... and at the 11th hour ....

.... her words of wisdom .....

..... "get the best ..... and f**k the rest" .....

..... I agreed .....

Jay

"I'm not young enough to know everything ....."
(Oscar Wilde)
RangerJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:03 PM   #36
2 Rivet Member

2006 25' International CCD
Freehold , New Jersey
Simply because you love them, have always loved them and must have one. Go for it!
DrPlay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 04:42 PM   #37

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RangerJay
I'm speaking for my wife here - she is quite a devout Catholic - different from myself - so maybe you can appreciate the shock that I felt when we (she) made our (her) final decision on what trailer to purchase for our retirement years ....

.... we had looked at what felt like 100's of trailers .....

.... over a 6 month period .....

..... narrowed things down to three manufacturers ....

..... Bigfoot, Award and Airstream .....

..... and at the 11th hour ....

.... her words of wisdom .....

..... "get the best ..... and f**k the rest" .....

..... I agreed .....

Jay
Best reason hands down! Everyone around me (airport) now think I'm crazy because I can't stop laughing! Great set up on that one!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:17 PM   #38
Zia
3 Rivet Member

2011 23' FB International
2007 20' Safari
Irvine , California
I baught my 2007 20 footer couple of years ago thru Craiglist. The seller wanted to upgrade to 28' AS. The price was very reasonable and after 2 years use I can sell it for more than what I paid.
It is true every where we go folks like to see ours from inside they are all envy of our lettle AS even though some them have huge trailer or 5th wheeler. I believe if you buy an expensive product you only cry once, the cheap one will be trouble for ever.
Good luck
Zia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 05:41 PM   #39
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by tiger View Post
More aerodynamic = better gas mileage
More aerodynamic = less sway (with the correct hitch setup)

WOW amazing!!! Glad noone was hurt. Didn't look like he had sway control installed.....The bright side would be it's a lot easier now to check the roof seams.

Shane

Tow Vehicle" 2023 F250 Azure Gray!"

TAC ID TX-1432
THEPILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 12:40 PM   #40
3 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
Sumner , Washington
If your choking on the price, then buy a used one. I bought a 1970 27' from the original owner, it was immaculate and well taken care of. I have owned five other 'BOX' trailers, the A/S pulls like a dream, handles like no other, it has a certain consistent nostalgia about it, it is extremely light, well built and enduring. We LOVE it.... Best we have ever owned. I know the old 70 is a bit dated, I replaced water heater and installed a cat heater in it to update it a bit. Buy a newer one that is about the same price as the box trailers new, you will never regret it.
I am not much of an attention monkey, but it amazes me how many people stop and chat about this old 'silver bullet' when we are out and about.
howco is offline   Reply With Quote