Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-10-2007, 08:11 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Frustration trying to sell

We are trying to sell our airstream. I have had it on this site for a while now and nothing but interested people with no money.
It is in wonderful condition and priced right.
I can contacted groups within our range, we have had calls.
negative comments were we are so far south in Florida. that is it. We had planned to be at Perry rally but I needed surgery and could not make it.
I thought this was best location for selling, anyone with another idea?
We need to move this and get on with life.
Old 10-10-2007, 08:19 AM   #2
RivetAddict

1986 34.5' Airstream 345
Louisville , Kentucky
You are welcome to list it on my site for free. THISOLDRV.COM | Online Community for RV Owners, Classifieds, Forums, DIY, How To's, Reviews, Member Profiles, BlogsTHISOLDRV.COM | Online Community for RV Owners, Classifieds, Forums, DIY, Repair.

We don't get the traffic this site does, but it's another "free" way to promote your RV.

Failing that, have you considered consignment with a local dealership?
swebster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:27 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Bill and Nancy -- It is a slow economic period for everyone with house sales and fuel prices putting many people at a disadvantage. I would think that a 28' Excella would have appeal and good travel ability. 1999 should be reassuring in terms of newer = fewer problems. You can also list your ad for free at the VAC site - The Vintage Airstream Club.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 08:32 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2004 28' Classic
1965 20' Globetrotter
Stephenville , Texas
Nancy:

Don't give up. There is a buyer for you out there somewhere and I think you've posted your trailer in the best possible place. No where else are you going to find truly informed shoppers for an Airstream who can appreciate all that you and Bill have done to your trailer. In my estimation you've got a fair price on it and I can tell that you are aggressively trying to get it sold by lowering the price.

We are one of the ones you mentioned about inquiring about your trailer but are hindered by the distance. We totaled our trailer and have the money in hand but have been looking for the "perfect" trailer - one that has all (or as close as we can get) to what we want and at a good price. We (or Jimmy) have traveled approximately 3,000 miles just last week looking at Airstreams just to get there and find that they are not what they were represented or depicted to be. (And yes, we unsuccessfully looked into finding someone to do an inspection for us before going.)

I understand your impatience but the right person will come along to love your trailer. And once again, if it weren't for the close to 1,400 miles I think we would have been a lot more interested. Your buyer is out there. Just hold on a bit longer.

ps. Hope you're feeling better and have recovered from your surgery.
Jimarq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:02 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
There will be a buyer who is not hindered by the distance - I should know - I bought mine from a guy in Maine and I'm in California. Can't get much farther than that. Have you put it on Craigslist? That's where I found mine....
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:04 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
I am barely computer user....don't know how to find or use a Craigs list.

You did travel far, amazing.

But what agreat trip, I love Maine. We also love Florida, so much to see here. It is like a foreign land compared to our birth state of Michigan.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:25 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
It is the area we are in. I have had people come into our shop in North Fort Myers with bald tires, frayed belts, engines knocking, and have to opt not to get a tire plugged for $5. They just don't have any money here. Home foreclosures are at a record high here, unemployment is above the national average, and the people that are working are getting the bare amount of hours the employers can get away with just to keep them there.
There are not even any cars on the roads, and the annual influx of Snowbirds has failed to materialize as of yet.
One hour up the road, in Sarasota, traffic and business are, while less than usual, a lot more than here.
Do you have your trailer parked where it is visible from the road, with a for sale sign on it? It may help if you could do that. I know there is an Airstream parked in a storage lot on US 41 in North Fort Myers, is that yours?
Old 10-10-2007, 10:30 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
If we are in the same area, we sure are seeing things different. Fort Myers had the highest rate of tourism in a while during this summer and while I am out to theraphy twice a week, traffic is awful. I would say snowbirds came early this year.
Our airstream is safely in our yard under our careful eye. It looks nothing like the one on 41, it is in really good shape.
Old 10-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1965 17' Caravel
west hills , California
Craigslist is a worldwide classified listing. You can post your listing free and include a photo. If you have someone close by to you maybe they can help you with it, posting a photo, etc. Go to craigslist (dot) com
krikles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:48 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD
Sugar Grove , Ohio
As you try to sell it.....SELL IT! Don't simply list is FOR SALE but SELL IT!!! Tell folks why it's such a good buy. Tell us what it is that you have for sale and why I (or anyone else) should buy it. I'm looking for an A/S and I don't even know what it is you have for sale. I'll bet there are others that feel the same way. You never know what is reading your msg. - they may be looking for exactly what you have to sell but you've got to tell them you have it for sale.

Good luck with it.
pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 10:51 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Goodness, I was looking for ideas here but yes it is for sale and it is listed in the Classified section forum.
Classic Excella, 28 ft. 1999
see classified for details.
Old 10-10-2007, 11:11 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
This is where a moderator sweeps in on their cape and declares, "I know CPR*, I can help!"

Here's bina's classified: Airstream Trailer & Motorhome Classifieds - 28 ft. Classic Excella 1999 - Powered by PhotoPost Classifieds

* CPR = computer pro resource

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2007, 11:15 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
ALSO, sprinkling fairy dust so we all breath a great sigh of relief and laughter.
Thanks much
Old 10-10-2007, 01:56 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Imho...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrim
As you try to sell it.....SELL IT! Don't simply list is FOR SALE but SELL IT!!! Tell folks why it's such a good buy. Tell us what it is that you have for sale and why I (or anyone else) should buy it. I'm looking for an A/S and I don't even know what it is you have for sale. I'll bet there are others that feel the same way. You never know what is reading your msg. - they may be looking for exactly what you have to sell but you've got to tell them you have it for sale.

Good luck with it.
Opinions are NOT like ***holes, everyone has MORE than one....
It looks like a wonderful Airstream. What may be leaving potential buyers cool is their own thought "Gee, why would someone sell an Airstream this nice? Is it really this nice?" ............ ANSWER that potential question so it doesn't get asked. Some possible reasons:
  • got a new 34 tri-axle and spouse will kill me if I don't sell this one
  • bad health forces sale of our beloved Airstream... want to know someone who will love it CAN afford it
  • won the lottery and can afford a $3 million dollar moho... sharing our good fortune
  • too many hobbies.. it was the yacht or the Airstream... we're water people
  • eyesight is shot, can't drive anymore
Airforum Classifieds? One disadvantage. Most of the people here HAVE Airstreams. (Some have 2 )

Do more than one thing if you're serious about selling it: craigslist, the local paper, consignment to a dealer, rvtraderonline.com, or even hang fliers on bulletin boards and telephone poles. Billboard the unit... Huh? What do you think would happen if you put a huge banner across the rear end with "Airstream for Sale - Yes You CAN Afford it" and your phone number - then slowly drove it through town, and parked it for one night each in several high-end campgrounds... or even Wal-Mart?

Paula
Old 10-10-2007, 02:15 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
2000 30' Excella
1999 30' Excella 1000
Low Country , South Carolina
listed too high

In these lean times it appears to me that you are trying to get too much for your unit. yes, it is in good shape but as with real estate, you can only get what the market will bear. Real estate has depreciated substancially and so had most everything else. Be realistic, price it to SELL it and move forward. Let it go. Try not to be so personally involved. This is not personal. It is money sitting in your driveway. It may be "worth" your price, but in this market it may be with you awhile. Good luck.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:10 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
Sure is right that everyone has a different opinion. Most people think listing here is the right place.
We have had interest. People who are serious call or email and although I added the answer, I have had 2 serious operation this summer and my husband is headed for rotary cuff surgery - that is why we are selling. That does not seem to be aserious stopper for a serious buyer.
WE have a ton of photos, can email them...have offered to take more for anyone.
I have put it in the paper, no calls, and it is very expensive.
I do finally have it on Craigs list. Don't expece anything there.

The most serious issue has been the distance. Even though we have offered serveral things for a Buyer a distance away.
We have had several from Texas, currently another and one from NJ. so indeed if they want it, are seriously looking. I think they will call, come and buy.
We are just frustrated from those who won't drive the distance.
Old 10-12-2007, 02:22 PM   #17
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Hang in there - if it's nice and fairly priced, it will sell. We traveled 6 hours to look at, and buy ours. This type of long distance purchase also requires that you be very up-front with potential buyers so there are no surprises. Our trailer was as advertised, so I had no surprises.
Good luck,
Dave
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 03:40 PM   #18
2 Rivet Member

N. Fort Myers, , Florida
It is very, very nice and from research we have done. very fairly priced. And, we have reduced price as well.
someone will get a really good deal as well as a nice travel space.
We are thankful for all the helpful comments.
nancy
Old 10-12-2007, 04:10 PM   #19
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Try listing it in the Atlanta Journal-Constitution newspaper. I have't looked thru the classifieds there for Airstreams in a couple of years, but they were few and far between back then. The ad's are relatively cheap and you have a huge metropolitan area (~5 million) that will potentially see it. It's not that far away from Tampa. Lots of Airstreams around here.

If you want, I'll check this Sunday's paper and report back the number of Airstreams listed, pricing and so on. In fact, I;ll bet last Sunday's paper is downstairs in the recycle bin. I'll poke around in little while and see what I can come up with.

Looks like a real beauty, by the way! Somebody will really enjoy it!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2007, 04:18 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 25' International CCD
1954 22' Flying Cloud
1957 22' Flying Cloud
Simi Valley , California
if it was worth it...

it would sell