Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-03-2014, 01:05 PM   #1

New York , New York
Food Network Airstream Use

Hey guys,

My name is Chris and I work for the Food Network. We're working on a new show that shoots in May, and we're taking it on the road. I'm doing some research on Airstream trailers because we really love the feel of them and want to highlight the Americana aspect of our journey. So...

What I'm looking for is a custom Airstream with a kitchen and possibly an openable side, so that we can film our host from the outside looking in. We'd have one built ourselves, but this is just the pilot episode, and we're looking to rent one for about four days in May just to get the ball rolling.

Does anyone know of a custom Airstream owner that might be of service? This is an open call nationwide, and the availability may determine where we shoot. If not, does anyone know a direction to point me in so I can try to find a rental? I appreciate any help you guys can provide.
FN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2014, 01:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
You might try contacting Rich Luhr, publisher of "Airstream Life" magazine.. He has done stories featuring a number of commercial modified Airstreams with side openings used for cooking and mobile restaurants or "food truck trailers". One of them might be willing to make their trailer available for a shoot... (www.airstreamlife.com)

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 10:23 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Winder , Georgia
Seaside fla. It's near Santa Rosa beach/ destin area. They have a row of them already set up. I'm sure you could make a deal...
blackhawksid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 11:56 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Might want to give Haydocy Rv in Columbus Ohio a call. They have recently completed a great project turning a beat up vintage airstream into a portable commercial kitchen, and it has side windows that drop down to serve the food.

RV Travel Trailer Dealer | Haydocy Airstream Columbus Ohio
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:29 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2005 30' Land Yacht 30 SL
Castro Valley , California
I went looking for the local "food truck" in an Airstream trailer. While I didn't find it in the first 2 minutes, Mr. Google showed my dozens of photos of conversions.
Old 04-24-2014, 01:36 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
1994 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
Olympia , Washington
Pensacola FL

In Pensacola, FL there are 4 or 5 AS converted to different "food trucks" all on a corner lot.
chevl66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 01:44 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2024 23' Flying Cloud
San Antonio , Texas
Check out Austin, Texas. There is a thriving food truck community there. Here is a link:

Austin, TX | Austin Hotels, Events, Attractions, Things To Do & More

Best wishes.
Cannonball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2014, 02:03 PM   #8
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
In the 90s wasn't there a show on your network that used an Airstream with slices of bread emerging from the top like a toaster?
It was a complete mobile kitchen.
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 06:39 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Keswick , VA
NOMAD Airstream in Plattsburgh, NY has a custom kitchen ready to go. On second thought it might be a silver painted Argosy. Either way, they have a unit that I have seen and it's really nice. NOMAD does custom refurbishing, renovation, besides being the only dealer in NY. Call the owner, Steve Clement @ 518-324-6225,
herkvet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 07:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Wait, hasn't this been done already? Call Bob Blumer, maybe he'll sell you his...
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2014, 08:37 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Don't you hate it when someone pops in here for help, is given some great advice, then doesn't bother to say thanks or any kind of response?
Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 07:00 AM   #12
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Typical....
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:04 AM   #13

New York , New York
Thanks for all the help!

I apologize, guys. Our shoot date was pushed back, so I had to move onto doing research for other shows. You've all been extremely helpful, and I appreciate nobody being outright rude to me for looking to rent an Airstream, which I know can be taboo.

We're going to be shooting our pilot in NYC for the sake of ease, so I'll certainly be looking in the main tri-state area (and up in Plattsburgh!) for options. Once the series goes to order, I'l definitely be looking in Ohio, Florida, and Texas as we spread out across the country more. Thanks to Condoluminum for pointing me toward Airstream Life magazine, which has been a big influence on what our producers our looking for.

You've all been very gracious, and I'll be lurking on these threads to learn as much as I can as the show moves forward!
FN_Chris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 08:23 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Moultrie , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by FN_Chris View Post
I apologize, guys. Our shoot date was pushed back, so I had to move onto doing research for other shows. You've all been extremely helpful, and I appreciate nobody being outright rude to me for looking to rent an Airstream, which I know can be taboo.

We're going to be shooting our pilot in NYC for the sake of ease, so I'll certainly be looking in the main tri-state area (and up in Plattsburgh!) for options. Once the series goes to order, I'l definitely be looking in Ohio, Florida, and Texas as we spread out across the country more. Thanks to Condoluminum for pointing me toward Airstream Life magazine, which has been a big influence on what our producers our looking for.

You've all been very gracious, and I'll be lurking on these threads to learn as much as I can as the show moves forward!

Airstreamers can be a bit persnickety, but very loyal and a great group. Please keep us updated so we can see the final result.
GAStreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2014, 02:19 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Thanks...

If shoot is in NYC and for short term (on spec..) you might also want to try contacting dealer: Colonial Airstream in northern NJ.. They are largest Airstream dealer in US (or one of..) and have lots of inventory of new and late model used trailers.. They might make one available for the shoot and could probably also help get it to site and back...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote