Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-27-2017, 09:01 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB International
Flying Cloud vs Intl Signature

Has anyone else noticed that there are always a ton of Flying Clouds for sale but very few International Signatures? Out of 7 pages of listings I only found two Intl Sig listings. Maybe they're less expensive and higher production so there's just more out there? Maybe they're junk!
chaseav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2017, 09:48 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Granbury , Texas
There not junk...they are very nice as a matter but overall selling numbers are no where near the flying clouds.

Basically all a international will be is a different interior with a few upgrades and added features.

We looked at a 28' international in salsa that we really liked but went with the 26U because of the floorplan. Wish airstream would make the 26U in a international but we are very happy with our choice.

The international's cost more and the colors may not have appeal to the masses but we like them. Be patient as I bet you will find a used one pop up here and there.
cabinetmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:56 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Clovis , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
Has anyone else noticed that there are always a ton of Flying Clouds for sale but very few International Signatures? Out of 7 pages of listings I only found two Intl Sig listings. Maybe they're less expensive and higher production so there's just more out there? Maybe they're junk!

Usually the nature of the beast is every company has a particular model of line up that they sell in mass and the more expensive ones are far and fewer.

Higher production will always lead to lower costs generally speaking. There def not junk though.
powerwiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 04:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Yeah - the FC is junk. Stay away.

Except for mine. [emoji3]
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:29 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Panama City , Florida
I put a lot of consideration into getting either a flying cloud or an international. At the end of the day, the FC was less $$$ and I didn't care for the see through overhead storage. But no, FC isn't junk IMO.
OSCS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Taos , New Mexico
We took a hard look at all of the new models. Our conclusion is the underlying trailer is the same across the models excepting some beefing up of suspension and maybe frame for added weight for the upper end models. The difference is the decor, finishes, and fabrics as mentioned above. Kind of like a Ford F-150 truck, there is the entry level all the way up to the King Ranch - all based on the same truck with different features, interiors, badging etc.. I believe that an FC is a pure-bred Airstream from the inside out, top to bottom, and hitch to bumper just like a Classic or Land Yacht and everything between
kdickinson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:45 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Wheatley , Ontario
I personally wanted something a little bit different and purchased the International Signature. Since I bought used, the price difference to a comparable FC was relatively small....
lovetokite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 11:59 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
I've wondered why the Internationals cost more than the Flying Cloud, too.
Airstream says it's because the FC outsells the International by far, but that might be (at least in part) because it cost $10K less.
The shell and square feet are the same and the FC has more storage.
There are more FC's for sale on the used market because more are sold new - nothing to do with quality - made in the same factory by the same people.
vito98103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 12:40 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
When we were looking, my first thought was new and the FC was all I was willing to pay for. The extra money for an International was not justified; really only the décor was different.
However, we ran across a very lightly used Serenity, far lower cost than a new FC, and my wife fell in love with the somewhat oriental décor. Bought. While I also like the décor, I see mostly FC's on our rallies and a smattering of Classics for those who were willing to pony up the dollars.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:09 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Flying Cloud

For us, it came down to preferring the cabinets & colors in the Flying Cloud. Only thing I would like is the Corian counters. Also saved some money there as well!
LazyGray2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:10 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
For us as well. Plus we saved on the weight too. I really like the lighter colors and more modern looking furniture.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:26 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by chaseav View Post
We love our International Signature 30'. The interior has that Art Deco look. My wife thought all the FC models looked to Kitchy, wasn't interested in any of them. I said its a trailer for cripes sakes lets save some money.
The International also has a lot of storage, great layout and a very comfy lav.
We traded up from a 28' after the first year.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 02:48 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2016 23' Flying Cloud
Corpus Christi , Texas
FC or International

To each his own. Didn't like the see through storage cabinets and window in the door for the restroom. I like things neat and out of sight.
2fromtexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:00 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEA PA View Post
I put a lot of consideration into getting either a flying cloud or an international. At the end of the day, the FC was less $$$ and I didn't care for the see through overhead storage. But no, FC isn't junk IMO.
I totally agree.....'nuf said!
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:35 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Watertown , Massachusetts
Flying Cloud, I like the. . . .

colors better. I don't like the darker interior colors of the International. Small spaces, which all trailers have, are too small for dark furnishings.
sallye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 03:50 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
Flying Cloud

I think the Flying Cloud line is more popular for several reasons; International, (Décor) are not worth the extra $10K or so, to us. The only thing we like on International is the kitchen corian counter top vs formica, but they should have also figured a way to use same corian material for dinning table. We do not like the sliding doors in the cabinets for access; Flying Cloud access to cupboards is much nicer and you can store larger items easier. Also don't care for the darker cabinets. If price was the same for both models, I still think the cabinet access is an advantage for FC.
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 07:34 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveSueMac View Post
Yeah - the FC is junk. Stay away.

Except for mine. [emoji3]
Mine too
I chose it over an International because I thought the international interior wad kinda 'cheezy', and the FC more comfortable.
I'm happy with my choice.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 08:36 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelGoddard View Post
Mine too

I chose it over an International because I thought the international interior wad kinda 'cheezy', and the FC more comfortable.

I'm happy with my choice.

I forget now how many we looked at - maybe 15 or more on the dealer's lot - I had no idea what we were looking at - didn't understand the difference between one trim level or another - this one just sang to us - the bare aluminum walls - whole probably much cheaper to make than covered with anything - just felt cool to us - the light colored cabinets and materials - I dunno - it just "fit" perfectly. I admire them all for different reasons (that Pendleton is sweet - friends have an Ocean Breeze that is really tasty, been in some Classics and only seen pictures of the Land Yacht...). They're all great! But I love my Cloud!
SteveSueMac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2017, 09:28 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2014 28' International
Sun City , Arizona
2014 Intl. Signature

We bought ours used last August. What attracted us was the IKEA look of the interior. More modern was appealing. Ours has dual A/C, inverter, microwave, with 50 amp. Service. This was the deciding factor. We downsized from a 40' Monaco, so we like the extra luxury, rather than basic camping. We bought a 2016 Tahoe to tow it. We spend 3 mos. away from AZ in the Summer, mostly on the West Coast, mostly in Wa. We hope it fits our needs.
BoeingJet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2017, 01:15 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 25' FB International
2007 20' Safari SE
2005 19' Safari
Qualicum Beach , British Columbia
We'd had two FC's and preferred the lighted cabinets, Corian countertops and Moen fixtures of the international. What we didn't like in 2014 when we were shopping was the mustard yellow of the lighter leather with the lighter cabinets in the FC.
And as others have noted. Happy wife, happy life.
And we still love it.

George
gandttimes is offline   Reply With Quote