Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-07-2013, 06:55 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Flying Cloud vs. Safari

I know that The Safari model is considered to be the lower price point for an Airstream. I don't think the Safari model is sold anymore, new.
Is the flying cloud the new lower price point that replaces the Safari.
Thanks Dave
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 06:57 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 39' Land Yacht 390 XL 396
Common Sense , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
I know that The Safari model is considered to be the lower price point for an Airstream. I don't think the Safari model is sold anymore, new.
Thanks Dave
Yes.
Old 09-07-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2007 16' International CCD
Vintage Kin Owner
Somewhere , Colorado
I don't claim to be an expert on this, but my impression is that the Safari SE, which came out as the 75th anniversary model in '06, was re-named Flying Cloud (a name brought back into use from the past) in '09. The Sport is the lower price model today.
field & stream is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:14 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by davcarv View Post
Thanks Dave
Not exactly. The sport line are the least expensive. FC replaced the Safari line AFTER the Safari line was upgraded ala the Special Editions with the panorama windows and a number of other upgrades the last couple years of production. Those features pretty much became standard on the FC. But it is hardly the lowest cost. Same dimensions and floorplans for the most part.
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 07:15 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
F&S beat me to it!
Old 09-07-2013, 07:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
I have one of the 06 models with both SE and LS upgrades. Do I wish it was a FC? Maybe, its a cool name. In fact, we named our TV, a 400HP Escalade EXT, "Thunder" for its rumble. It would only be appropriate to match it with a "Cloud".
Old 09-07-2013, 08:03 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Hey Davecarv, as a newer owner I was initially only familiar with the newer models say circa 2010 and newer. I had never heard of Safari, other than the reference name on some sales material when referring to the "Safari Sport" models. When I started shopping used models the dealer called me about a Safari that I ended up buying.

While the Safari was the least expensive during its model run, compared to the current models it would be more like a Flying Cloud. That is not to cheapen the Cloud- just state a fact. There is the same cabinetry, flooring, furniture, etc BUT the Safari was also like the current Classic- padded ceiling, fabric insulated walls- even matching floorplan about five years ago-- model (Classic 25') The LS options were easily added as accessories to any Safari. The SE basically was the naked interior of the International- bare walls, puck lighting,and panos, etc. Obviously Airstream realized it was cheaper to build them with the bare interior and, builds all models that way now except the Classic. BTW, when I first saw a Classic inside I thought, ah, no too cocoon coffin looking. Now, after RV shows, etc I appreciate the detail- uh, except the cabinet door pulls, The cheaper part of the Safari shows through primarily in the type of windows used and the lighting fixtures. These identify with the new Sport models but ironically are standard faire in the RV world. The Safari models also match the size and width of FC rather than the limits of the Sport models - one axle, narrow body. If you are considering a Safari, there are some advantages. Mine holds temps really well inside. I believe this is due mostly to the lack of pano windows and heat or cold surface radiation on such a large window area at both ends and, when you roll over in bed, you are greeted by a room temp wall of fabric rather than cold metal. So there, all you high rollin Land Yacht, Classic, Internationals, and whatevers.

Safari lives on!
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2013, 09:39 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
As F&S & Tom have pointed out, the regular Safari (with the fabric interior walls) used to be the lowest priced model, but the Safari SE with the aluminum interior walls, pano windows and International-style side windows (and a few other upgrades) was a higher price-point version of Safari that eventually became the newer Flying Cloud in 2009 ... and what was the Safari evolved into the current Sport models, which are currently the lowest priced models.
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2013, 06:26 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Exactly TBRich, I just wanted to point out a few differences. The last year, 2008, for example, The Safari 25 was $51K, the LS $53K and the SE $55. Like any vehicle, options may or may not be important to the buyer. The SE was certainly the predecessor to the FC.
rodsterinfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2013, 10:25 AM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1989 29' Excella
2018 30' Classic
Cumming , Georgia
Awesome reply’s all thanks for the feedback
davcarv is offline   Reply With Quote