Old 05-09-2007, 09:45 AM   #15

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I guess the rehab question goes beyond the cosmetic issues and the worn out appliances. You also need to look at the condition of the axles and frame to see if you have some serious deterioriation. For many, and I count myself as one, this kind of restoration is beyond my ability. Obviously if you aren't technical then the question is whether you have someone that you can trust with the expertise to do the repairs properly.

Another thought is whether you want to move to the wide body trailer. Personally, this is what got me to buy my first Airstream in 2001. Prior to that I just didn't feel comfortable in the narrow body units. Different strokes for different folks, but for some that issue might be enticing to step up to a new or newer unit.

Finally if the big depreciation issue is a deal breaker, keep an eye out for a newer used unit or possibly one that you know has been given TLC. I know we had one member in my old WBCCI unit who traded vehicles every two years. Folks in the unit used to line up to buy his used vehicles.

Just a few more thoughts.

Jack

AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 10:45 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
If you do work on your old TT, and it is attractive to a future buyer, then you can usually expect to recover the price of the materials, but don't expect to recover the entire price of labor.

Calvin

Old 05-09-2007, 11:10 AM   #17
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Go http://www.airforums.com/forums/f232...new-21750.html and see post number 13 . . .
Old 05-09-2007, 02:13 PM   #18
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Doesn't a real Airstream have to have a door within a door?

Ducking and running....
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 05:44 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Spiffy Gem, Thanks for the Vingtage - vs- New. Wonderful ideas, suggestions and great experiences.
Old 05-09-2007, 07:33 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Cincinnati , Ohio
okay, so the next question is...

Wow - what a diversity of replies!
After discussing all of your postings, Dave and I have a few more questions:

1. Given that buying a used unit means you might inherit someone else's problems, what problems might we find? In other words, what would be the pros and cons of '70s units vs. '80s units vs. '90s units? It may not be a leap in build quality as much as a leap in usability. Do the "Beatrice Years" really come into play here? We're trying to get a feel for whether it's worth it to trade up to an '80s unit from our '77 ('cause we love the burnt orange but that grey water tank really is tiny...).

2. Dave and I are both handy individuals, but we live on a steep hill so we keep the AS across town at a friend's house. That impedes our ability to do much of the work ourselves. We understand renovation vs. restoration, but we're not sure many of the AS dealers down here actually do. How do we find someone near Cincinnati who really knows Airstreams and would understand that we don't want to gut it, just fix it?

This has been a wonderful opportunity to discuss this issue -- just like the car club we belong to, only "bigger"!

Pam

"Outside of a dog, a book is man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read." Grouco Marx
daveandpamz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 07:49 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Uhhhh....

Quote:
Originally Posted by daveandpamz
How do we find someone near Cincinnati who really knows Airstreams and would understand that we don't want to gut it, just fix it?
If your profile info is correct...it would seem living in Cincinnati, I would take it to the factory in Jackson Center - mapquest says it's only about 105 miles away. If they can't troubleshoot & fix it, I don't think it can be fixed ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | WBCCI DenCO Unit | Sisters on the Fly | Tin Can Tourists
BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:02 PM   #22

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
Unless you are trying to find a way to have fun and don't mind spending lots of money doing it, depreciation does come into play for most of us. If you just gotta have a newer unit find a 'preloved' one that has had all of the universal complaints addressed (by a compentant dealer), buy it and hop on the slow depreciation wagon. If you like the old style, find a restored one or commission one to be restored. A mint 60's style X could be sold for, say, $20,000 while a 'as found' one could be had for, say, $4,000. Put $25,000 into and it's worth $20,000 (a loss of $9,000?) but here is the kicker. If you maintain it it's gonna be worth darn close to the $20,000 in several years where the newer one is still dropping in price. It doesn't take long for the values to cross.

How long are you planning on keeping it is really the logical factor.
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:09 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Los Angeles , Massachusetts
I've also been looking into the best deal I can get for an older unit. Here's the questions: What is the best year to buy? Airstreams from the 60s needs a lot of refurbishing. In many cases, you better to redo the whole plumbing and sometimes electrical systems, not to mentions axels often need replaced. What about buying a unit from the 70s, with maybe not as many problems, and just redoing the interior? How much would it be to add a new floor and custom wood cabinets?

M.W.

"
You just have to decide if you’re a Tigger or an Eeyore." - Randy Pausch
mwinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:18 PM   #24
_

. , .
Quote:
So.....here is the BIG QUESTION. If we put real money into the Overlander, will we get it back out later?....Pam
hi pam

and the correct answer to this question is...

no you will not.

hopefully you'll enjoy any upgrades or renovations but don't expect much dollar return.

and especially for wiring or plumbing or window trim/ leaks or other basic issues...

as for which decade or model or size is better or should be avoided....

there are many threads here endlessly exploring this issue.

with no ONE conclusion.

what problem might be found?

really depends on the given unit.

virtually all old trailers will have frame and floor and running gear and window and heat/cold issues....

unless the last owner fiddled with it.

professionally done restorations that INCLUDE modern features like...

bigger holding tanks, stronger frames, better brakes, current electronics, furnaces and so on...

cost nearly as much as buying a new unit based on square foot of living space...

in fact, some restorations cost MORE than new units.

and professional restorations LOSE VALUE just like new ones do...

keep the trailer long enough and depreciation is irrelevant....

trade every 2 years and EAT the losses.

reselling a personalized custom rehab is a different issue and market than reselling/trading a factory unit.

will the potential buyers LIKE your rhinestone toilet seat or loofah sponge mattress?

will they understand your wiring scheme or plumbing designs? and so on...

a 2-3 year old unit is sometimes a good find...

IF it has been used enough to find all the issues, but not so much as to be an issue...

does a warranty matter to you? on the unit or the appliances? are there 'must have' features?

really the 2 big issues you've not provided info regarding...
and IF new/near new is affordable are....

1. do you wanna go camping NOW or are you mainly looking for a back yard/garage hobby?
2. how much camping and how much towing/travel?

explore these 2 items and the selection of a unit becomes easy.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
We're talking about replacing all the wiring and plumbing, re-sealing everything, fixing the fogged windows, new A/C. Is it better to buy a new Airstream and finance it half of forever?

Any advice is appreciated!

Pam
Pam,
If you want to replace the wiring, you have deconstructed the TT almost to the point of a complete restoration, especially if you also have to replace the sub-floor.

For example, in order to replace the wiring, you have to take everything out of the interior, remove the inside skin and all the insulation.

And once you have it tore down that far, wouldn't it make sense to spray water over the exterior to look for leaks. . . You could even add a new outlet somewhere without much more cost. Dave might even want to add backup lights! And thus the beginning of your restoration project. It's like a sickness - the project just keeps growing until . . . until you realize that you need to make it very special - something much better than what is offered in new TT's, so that if you decided to sell, you could find a buyer and recover as much of your expense as possible.

As for comparing a 70's to an 80's or 90's TT, in my experience and opinion, the older it is, with a few exceptions, given a consistent amount of use, the more work and money you need for the project. Things simply get old and wear out.

Take the baffel in a heater: it is only made to expand and contract, due to heat, only so many times. After that, combined with the rust, you have the chance of carbon Monoxide escaping into the coach. The cost of replacing it is cheap comparded to the risk of life.

If you really want to hire someone to do the work, there are professionals, like David Winick (vintage trailering) and Craig Dorsey (About Craig Dorsey) that do restorations.

Calvin
Old 05-09-2007, 08:26 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1969 31' Sovereign
Elizabeth , Colorado
Vintage vs new

At a vintage rally several years ago, an unnamed officer told me this and I agree. The owners of a new airstream pays 45 to 65 thousand dollars and complains bitterly and all day long if something goes wrong. A vintage owner invites his friends over to celebrate when he gets something to work. The attitude is the difference more than anything else. Vintage folks will help you find anything you need, and supply good advice along the way. To completly fix all the systems might cost you 4 to 5 thousand. Use the rest of the money you saved by not buying new,
and go camping
WBCCI #5345
62 Globe Trotter 19'
69 Sovereign 31'
04 E-350 Van 6.0 diesel
stagecoachbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:28 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Just remember if its a rear bath fixed up with the frame repair top dollar will be about 10k I sold a nice one 8 years ago for 4.5K. Just don't sink too much money in it. I prefer a 5-7 year old that doesn't need all the extensive repairs and the appliances are newer and the wide body does make it more roomy inside.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #28
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by stagecoachbill
The owners of a new airstream pays 45 to 65 thousand dollars and complains bitterly and all day long if something goes wrong. A vintage owner invites his friends over to celebrate when he gets something to work.
i agree with this EXACTLY as written, of course those prices are sooooo dated!

it is VINTAGE OWNERS that are different...

not vintage trailers.

most who have owned airstreams a long time (20 years) realize they aren't perfectly built and never were, not one model...

they DO tow better than most other things...

they ARE distinctive looking

and for the most part are REPAIRABLE from any decade...

that is the a/s characteristic vintage owners understand and appreciate...

i sure do.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote