Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-15-2009, 03:38 AM   #801
Rivet Master

1967 24' Tradewind
Alameda , California
Send a message via AIM to pinkflamingoes Send a message via Yahoo to pinkflamingoes
Opinions on this?

Besides the insanely high price, what's up with this "selling for someone in Poland" thing?

I got a really nice email from another member asking for some advice on looking at this trailer. Axles look shot, two appliances not working/not being used. "No upgrading" can mean that all systems have been untouched since 1962...way overpriced for that, IMHO, but this trailer struck me as just another overpriced offer on eBay until I read this "Poland" thing. Hmmmmmm.

thoughts?

Search results for 1962 Airstream Trade Wind in RVs & Campers

ingrid
1967 24' Tradewind #19104 ~ Forums #4449
pinkflamingoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 04:59 AM   #802
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyduck24 View Post
eBay Motors: 2002 Airstream Bambi trailer 19' camper very clean (item 120389849982 end time Mar-16-09 20:55:48 PDT) is still running! if the link doesnt work for you just do a search for airstream bambi. its now back to $6,900, want to know why? i had bid the price up to $30K, and if it was an actual legit auction the seller would have been pleased to see someone like myself with over 400 positive feedback bidding on their auction........well they cancelled and blocked me from bidding to keep price low for unsuspecting users to email them for shipping details. this is when he sends you bogus ebay pages and asks for a wire transfer. ive tried numerous times to have ebay shut it down and am currently trying to live chat with one of their people, but it seems to be of little use. anyone out there want to bid it up past their 8900 asking price (no buy it now because its a scam) and i guarantee you wont end up owning it, and your bid will be cancelled in the end anyway.
I am now the top bidder! (phabop) If I win, can anybody help fund this!

Hey, where is this trailer located anyway? St James City is the location listed in the auction, but the pictures do not show a single palm tree.

I Googled St James City for location, and images, and it's on the Gulf on an island not too far from Ft Myers. Every single image that I looked at (lots of real estate pictures) had palm trees in it.

We'll see. Last night, I sent a message to the account holder (not the email address) asking if it was their Airstream or if their account had been hijacked. The hijacker can see the message in My Messages, but an email will be sent to the actual account holder's email (unless that had been modified by the scammer, which I doubt).

Phil

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2009, 10:48 PM   #803
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
1977 Argosy 28
Agassiz , b.c.
ebay scam bambi Florida

I had emailed the actual seller but never got a response....after looking at their history it shows they haven't bought or sold anything in about 3 years....so who knows. it is a stolen account though, and he's asking for a wire transfer to Alameda CA, his name is definitely eastern european. ive contacted ebay numerous times on this, the last message i got from them was that it was being investigated but could not reveal anymore info to me....maybe theyre setting up a bust, not sure. i bid it up to $30K but was cancelled and blocked, as was a friend who i asked to bid it up with me. the 'seller' has continuously cancelled bids in order to keep it lower than their 'asking price' of $8,900. i hope this scum bag..........i mean scammer, get's what's coming to him or i'll lose all faith in man kind.
uglyduck24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2009, 07:00 AM   #804
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyduck24 View Post
I had emailed the actual seller but never got a response....after looking at their history it shows they haven't bought or sold anything in about 3 years....so who knows. it is a stolen account though, and he's asking for a wire transfer to Alameda CA, his name is definitely eastern european. ive contacted ebay numerous times on this, the last message i got from them was that it was being investigated but could not reveal anymore info to me....maybe theyre setting up a bust, not sure. i bid it up to $30K but was cancelled and blocked, as was a friend who i asked to bid it up with me. the 'seller' has continuously cancelled bids in order to keep it lower than their 'asking price' of $8,900. i hope this scum bag..........i mean scammer, get's what's coming to him or i'll lose all faith in man kind.
Did you email to the address in the auction description, or message to account holder?

I am still high bidder this morning. I sent a Ebay message requesting location to set up an inspection. I will not use the description email.

I started to report this to ebay, but couldn't get the exact match on the drop-down reasons they ask for.

Here are a couple of pics from the auction: no palm trees anywhere. Anybody recognize these from anywhere? Is this really a 2002 model?

Phil
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	f5c7_1.JPG
Views:	141
Size:	11.3 KB
ID:	77004   Click image for larger version

Name:	!BONT)GQ!Wk~$(KGrHgoOKjUEjlLmU)7+BJteQYvscw~~_1.JPG
Views:	149
Size:	13.2 KB
ID:	77005  

Name:	fa56_1.JPG
Views:	140
Size:	12.2 KB
ID:	77006   Click image for larger version

Name:	!BONT65wB2k~$(KGrHgoOKiMEjlLmVOYOBJteRmPGVw~~_1.JPG
Views:	166
Size:	8.4 KB
ID:	77007  

AIR 1753
Old 03-16-2009, 07:31 AM   #805
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue View Post
Hey, where is this trailer located anyway? St James City is the location listed in the auction, but the pictures do not show a single palm tree.

I Googled St James City for location, and images, and it's on the Gulf on an island not too far from Ft Myers. Every single image that I looked at (lots of real estate pictures) had palm trees in it.
Saint James City is a small village at the south end of Pine Island. There are a couple of trailer parks there, our Sovereign came from the KOA in Saint James City.
Old 03-16-2009, 08:03 AM   #806
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Hayward , WI - land of beer and cheese
Send a message via AIM to katzklaw Send a message via Yahoo to katzklaw
Quote:
Here are a couple of pics from the auction: no palm trees anywhere. Anybody recognize these from anywhere? Is this really a 2002 model?

Phil
no clue on the model year... but i really think that doesn't look like FL at all. the ground looks like red clay. could be anywhere from GA to VA with that ground, but still nothing like the sandy ground in FL. hard to tell for sure because the pics are kinda small, but background trees look like mostly pines, and one tree that's shaped, and colored, like a young maple tree. the pines may be southern, but the maple-ish tree isn't. i'd say these pics were taken somewhere a bit north of where they're SUPPOSED to be from :-/
Old 05-09-2009, 02:04 AM   #807

Currently Looking...
Gulf Breeze , Florida
Warning....2005 19ft Bambi Solar---- scam still active. Same scam, different year. A warning from a newbie....there is a CraigsL-ing for airstream (as described).The lowered price excused as being from need during these economic times...it contains a link to a counterfeit eBay Motors site....with Buy Now! price of $5,800.00 Deposit $2,000. All eBay Motors guarantees, treasury and safety notices have been counterfeited. Please beware....the logo is an excellent fake....the corporate eBay Motors language is all cut and pasted during correspondence. However it falsely describes new payment protection thru "ebay wire service" The email is ebaypayment@ebay-moto.com The scammer is Russian by "written style English" on Craig's List. Uses the name Odell Phillips when requesting WUnion funds to NY NY. He has a fake fax number that responds with eBay Motors corporate response info. I just joined and read airforum scam alert reports dating back a few years!! with the same Bambi photos....as were posted last week..on CL. It seems to be the same scammer.....same Bambi. BTW this was done by hacking into my blackberry account via Yahoo...then phished.....I have closed that account, but prior to closing it....the scammer immediately began phishing by flashing false "account info requests" every time used URL for Craigs List. Phishing immediately then 'extended' to my friends on that Yahoo mailing list. Be smart. Be safe. Be happy. Dont fall for this one!!!!! I did. Still plan to join you all out there on the road! Hopefully a little smarter...and definitely happier.
phoenixmist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:00 AM   #808
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
1967 Slid-out

I would love to see a 1967 GT with a side out..
Scam:
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f495...tml#post767336

1973 F-250 4X4 390
1965 Chevy Suburban 454
AIR 6030
WBCCI 4258
TCT

silverleeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:11 AM   #809
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Previously sold

Seems like this one just can't find a "happy home" as it was sold this summer & has appeared in several places for sale again!

No VIN, no interior pictures. Also a 3 day listing. The only thing that doesn't fit is that no "outside" contact info appears in the ad.

But, it looks like the scammers now have a new MO - seems that they set up a legit eBay account, no selling/buying history, starting bid $200.00

Although not an Airstream, here's a similar item being sold on eBay Motors:
2004 KEYSTONE MONTANA:eBay Motors (item 260500391719 end time Nov-04-09 20:46:09 PST)

This ad does have an outside contact link & a VERY LOW price for that trailer. The look & feel of these two ads scream scam!

I asked the Globetrotter owner to 1) post some interior pictures 2) arrange a time for a friend to come out & inspect

Will post the response here if we get one!
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 12:42 PM   #810
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
67 gt

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f495...ter-58148.html
Jezibels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2009, 10:54 PM   #811
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
now the scammers are hitting on Argosy's . . .

or, if it walks like a duck, quacks like a duck . . .
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=260501869434&ssPageNam e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

this ad for a very desirable 22' Argosy (that someone on the forums has probably painted) has the same MO as recent eBay bogus ads:
- 3 day listing
- contact be outside of eBay
- new account with 0 feedback
- and the signature "contact me form" outside of eBay
- the guy wants $10,200
-started at $200

This time the scammer seems to be in Kansas.

Let's see if my cousin in Wichita can come & inspect it!
Old 11-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #812
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Argosy link. . .

. . . doesn't seem to be working. The item # is 260501869434 & it is a 22' 1974 Argosy.
Old 11-07-2009, 05:11 AM   #813
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
. . . doesn't seem to be working. The item # is 260501869434 & it is a 22' 1974 Argosy.
Good. Maybe Ebay is getting better at seeing through these thin pretenses.

Too bad you couldn't get a pic and post it here. I always like to see what was offered, and compare it to other previous scams.

Phil

AIR 1753
Old 11-07-2009, 09:08 AM   #814
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
PDF of Argosy eBay ad

Quote:
Too bad you couldn't get a pic and post it here. I always like to see what was offered, and compare it to other previous scams.

Phil
The listing still seems to be active - for some reason, copying the link & posting it didn't seem to work.

I did manage to print the listing to a PDF file. The MO on this one is identical to several trailer scams that have been recently pulled by eBay. One scam was for a 68 Safari & the other we noted was for a 2004 Montana. Note on the second page of the PDF the wording of the bid terms & the "ask seller a question" form. All three ads had the same "final price" in red.

If you go into the actual listing on eBay, you cannot highlight this 2nd page text to copy it, so it's definitely not the standard html format.

I did report this to eBay last night under the inappropriate link category.

1974 Airstream Argosy:eBay Motors (item 260501869434 end time Nov-07-09 21:12:54 PST)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 1974 Airstream Argosy_eBay ...pdf (270.9 KB, 124 views)
Old 11-10-2009, 07:43 PM   #815
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post
The listing still seems to be active - for some reason, copying the link & posting it didn't seem to work.

I did manage to print the listing to a PDF file. The MO on this one is identical to several trailer scams that have been recently pulled by eBay. One scam was for a 68 Safari & the other we noted was for a 2004 Montana. Note on the second page of the PDF the wording of the bid terms & the "ask seller a question" form. All three ads had the same "final price" in red.

If you go into the actual listing on eBay, you cannot highlight this 2nd page text to copy it, so it's definitely not the standard html format.

I did report this to eBay last night under the inappropriate link category.

1974 Airstream Argosy:eBay Motors (item 260501869434 end time Nov-07-09 21:12:54 PST)

Very interesting. Thanks for pointing this out.

They imbedded a flash script to get "seller questions" right from the listing. Therefore, they can get email addresses just by requiring that you pre-register for the auction. My advice: DON'T use that link: always use the Ebay "Ask a Question" function.

As far as I can tell, the only thing that most of these on Ebay have had in common was that they wanted your email address. I used the "Ask a Question" link in Ebay to send questions: is it still available, and can I arrange an inspection? And hid my email address - let them use the official communication through Ebay if they want to answer (which I doubt).

BTW, here is a pic from the auction.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	11-10-09-Argosy-4afa8535.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	90660  

AIR 1753
Old 07-24-2010, 08:20 PM   #816
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
big scam: "$2800 - 1996 Airstream Classic Excella 1000" SCAM!

CRAIGSLIST PostingID: 1850998613 is an obvious scam, but it didn't hit me until I got an email back from the seller.

The photos in the ad are of a beautiful TT, in mint condition, the description talks about all the work being done, so I bit and sent an email with a couple of questions. Heck, a like-new 30-footer for $2,800?

So I get a response back and as I read what "she" says, it suddenly dawned on me, THEY'RE TRYING TO SCAM ME!

It's the old "it's a sale strictly on ebaY, the TT is in storage, no more photos, buy it, and you have five days to get your money back if you don't like it".

It's a lot longer than that, but you get the gist of it. I actually printed out the whole ad to a PDF file, and still have the email reply.

I emailed them back incredulous, telling them that a scam as transparent as that wouldn't work these days would it? But of course, no more email.

Couldn't believe it, guess I just wasn't awake enough to spot it faster...
Old 01-21-2011, 08:44 AM   #817
2 Rivet Member

2013 27' FB International
The Villages , Florida
Here's a good one:

1989 25' Airstream Excella Travel Trailer - $6600 (Greensboro )

Date: 2011-01-19, 4:15PM EST
Reply to: sale-d786a-2169226769@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Lovely 1989 25' Airstream Excella for sale!
Most of the equipment and furnishings in this well cared for trailer are original to the Airstream. It has neutral decor and is fully carpeted. The trailer has an overhead heating and air conditioning unit. There is great general lighting and reading lighting throughout the trailer. All of the windows have some combination of curtains, shades, and/or blinds. Most have both curtains and shades or blinds. One window is fixed, and the others all open and have screens in good condition. There are also three screened roof vents (one in the living room, bathroom, and bedroom).
The kitchen has a stove, oven, microwave, and a refrigerator/freezer that can run on gas or electric. There are oak front cabinets in the kitchen over the stove and under the sink, over the refrigerator/freezer, and on the pullout pantry.
In the living room, there is a pullout couch that "sleeps two" but Airstream must mean two children. It does sleep one adult quite comfortably. There are two folding tables in the living area, and flip up counter space next to the stove.
The bedroom has twin beds, each with under bed and overhead storage. There is a nightstand and there are reading lights. Each bed has custom Otis Mattress Co mattresses, unused and still in their original wrap. The bedroom has closets with oak fronts.
In the bathroom, there is a medicine cabinet, under sink storage, counter, toilet, and a separate shower with a built in shower seat. The shower does need a new accordion door, or, simply, a new curtain.
Outside, the Airstream has a Zip Dee awning which is usable, but does need a small part. There are outside lights and lockable storage units, two folding steps, covered propane tanks, wheel chocks, and corner leveling jacks. The trailer tires have less than 3000 miles on them, and the Airstream has a full inspection.

it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests

I asked for more pics, and here's her response:

I still have it but before I start answering your questions, I'll have to let you know that I left town a few days ago because my father had a stroke and I need to watch him and the house until he gets on his feet. The doctors said it's nothing serious so hopefully they are right and I'll get back as soon as I can. This doesn't mean I can't sell this now because I will use CoOp's services. I guess you know what CoOp is, if you buy or sell often on the internet, but if by any chance you don't know what this service is, I will be happy to walk you through the process because it's very simple.

Sorry to bother you with all this but I thought I better explain my situation first before we go any further with the details. I need to sell this now and if you are still interested let me know and I'll be happy to answer whatever questions you may have.
Thanks

Anne

Exact language that I've seen on many reported scams. Flagged!
Blue Ox Sway Pro
Olrocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:49 PM   #818
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 28
Tampa , Florida
Made all these improvements, but doesn't know if airstream or avion?

Out of state phone number, no bids allowed.

Says it's a 1968...

Bogus top to bottom

Vintage Avion Airstream Travel Trailer | eBay
inTransit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 03:10 PM   #819
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
They are back...with inflation

Numerous SCAM ads are up on Craigs now. They have moved from 2800 dollars to 7200 dollars. Still selling Bambis ans Safaris. Look out.
Old 12-10-2011, 08:20 AM   #820

1965 24' Tradewind
Loughborough , Leics
1947 22' Liner

As my comments and pictures on the Ebay thread, I appear to have been scammed on an Airstream on Ebay. The guys name is John Gallager, his email address is airstreamin@msn.com and his (seemingly fictional) address was in Cle Elum WA.
mandie10 is offline   Reply With Quote