Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-16-2012, 01:06 PM   #821
Rivet Master

2002 25' Safari
Fountain Inn , South Carolina
2006 Safari 25 LS SE

2006 Airstream 25ft Safari LS Special Edition Trailer 2006 Airstream 25ft Safari LS Special Edition Trailer | eBay

This ad on Ebay looks questionable. Price is way low, indicates will sell for $15000. Seller wants to be contacted directly outside of Ebay. The seller's account has not been active for awhile. May be a great deal, but I doubt it.
Old 01-17-2012, 01:06 PM   #822
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridgerunner3 View Post
2006 Airstream 25ft Safari LS Special Edition Trailer 2006 Airstream 25ft Safari LS Special Edition Trailer | eBay

This ad on Ebay looks questionable. Price is way low, indicates will sell for $15000. Seller wants to be contacted directly outside of Ebay. The seller's account has not been active for awhile. May be a great deal, but I doubt it.
"This listing (120844486616) has been removed, or this item is not available."

Oh well...
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 AM   #823
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
I suppose this isn't a "fake" but the scam being "easy fix for $2500"

2001 AIRSTREAM SAFARI -DAMAGED --EZ FIXER-BEST BUY ON EBAY-TWIN BEDS 2001 AIRSTREAM SAFARI -DAMAGED --EZ FIXER-BEST BUY ON EBAY-TWIN BEDS | eBay
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 10:38 AM   #824

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by goransons View Post
Heh... yeah, "I fix a lot of these, I know what it costs" is meant to cheat the uninitiated. I would assume that any smart business person who can fix such damage and knows how to sell things would realize that selling something with $2500 in damage costs you $5k in price unless you find a sucker. If it were really that trivial they'd fix it before selling, and if the seller is too stupid to figure that out he's way too stupid to trust his assessment of the damage.

Also interesting is "The insurance company paid $25,000 to settle the claim" so this is a salvage title (title shows as "not available" on the listing.) So he's looking for a sucker who believes that an insurance company would total a $25k trailer instead of doing a $2500 repair. P.T. Barnum lives...

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 AM   #825

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX

Heh... yeah, "I fix a lot of these, I know what it costs" is meant to cheat the uninitiated. I would assume that any smart business person who can fix such damage and knows how to sell things would realize that selling something with $2500 in damage costs you $5k in price unless you find a sucker. If it were really that trivial they'd fix it before selling, and if the seller is too stupid to figure that out he's way too stupid to trust his assessment of the damage.

Also interesting is "The insurance company paid $25,000 to settle the claim" so this is a salvage title (title shows as "not available" on the listing.) So he's looking for a sucker who believes that an insurance company would total a $25k trailer instead of doing a $2500 repair. P.T. Barnum lives...
I had hail damage last year and the cost of replacing 6 top panels and one side panel was @ $10,000 it looks like the eBay AS needs 3 top and 2 side panels. So around $1450 a panel you get at least $7250 and that's without the window or interior damage that can't be seen. I'm guessing more if the insurance company totaled it.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 06:09 AM   #826

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Here's one in Chicago.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/rvs/2910073207.html

And here is the response I got. Kinda funny.

Hi,

First of all i have to let you know that i am not a camper/airstream connoisseur but i'll try to describe at my best acknowledge. According to an authorized dealer, the camper is in outstanding condition. All the appliances are in working condition . Clean interior has no unpleasant odors of any kind. Main floor doesn't show scuffs and blemishes. There are no roof leaks of any kind. It has a clear and clean title, free of all liens and encumbrances.
This was my father's camper who passed away in December so i know it has always been properly maintained. I hope it's new owner will take care of it as my beloved father did. I moved out of town when i got married so i used to come back home occasionally. The very big distance, my kids and my job as a lawyer doesn't allow me to come there often. This is not a problem for me as far as the transaction is concerned because I was selling this through VTP anyway. I believe you know what VTP is if you buy and sell online often, if you don't I'll be glad to walk you through the process. Let me know if you are still interested so i can get back to you with additional pictures or details.

Best Regards, Ronnie Halpern

And from my reply

I apologize, I was under the impression that you heard of VTP before since they mostly sell on eBay and Craigslist.
Like I said before I will be happy to walk you through the process. VTP is short for Virtual Trading Post and their website is virtualtradingpost dot net , maybe now this sounds familiar to you. As they describe themselves, "Virtual Trading Post is a safe payment system for the Internet that protects both buyer and seller from various forms of online fraud".
I left the camper in their possession last week and I just listed it recently on Craigslist. The fact that I'm not home will not affect the selling procedure through this service. They will take care of shipping, payment and title transfer(it is already signed by me and notarized so they are empowered to do this ). So the process goes like this: if you agree with the camper description and price, you must register on their website and they will send you an invoice with the payment instructions and the transaction details. You send the payment to them and as soon as the payment is confirmed they will start the shipping process, which usually takes between 3 and 5 working days. As soon as you will receive the camper, a 10 Day money Back Guarantee starts (which is a standard guarantee for all items listed on Craigslist) and you can inspect it and see if it's everything you expected. This guarantee allows you to return the camper if by any chance something is wrong with it, my description was not accurate or I failed to specify something about it's condition. Basically you can return the camper with no questions asked and if that's the case the returning process will be free of charge for you, I will be held responsible for all costs. If you accept the camper, then you'll sign that you accept it and they will transfer the payment to me.
I forgot to mention that the complete process is free of charge for you, the listed price on Craigslist already includes all the fees including the shipping and handling, so there is no reason to be scared for any extra fees, there are none. The process is very simple and secure, it may sound a little complicated because I had to explain the whole deal in details, it really isn't complicated at all. I hope you are still interested and if you would like to start the process you need to register at virtualtradingpost dot net. If that's the case please make sure you understand the process and read the terms and conditions listed on their website before you register. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:59 PM, BRADLEY MITCHELL <blmitch5@me.com> wrote:
I'm not sure what VTB is but I would like to see it. Do you have someone who will be able to show it this weekend? I'm very interested in this Basecamp.

Thanks

Brad

I didn't realize that Craigslist had a 10 day guarantee.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 07:16 PM   #827
Rivet Master

1963 22' Safari
2020 27' Globetrotter
State of , Washington
Send a message via MSN to goransons
It's not a scam, but ugly, but it's back!!! For only 575,000!!!

Custom Fabricated Airstream Mercedes Sprinter Diesel Motorhome Custom Fabricated Airstream Mercedes Sprinter Diesel Motorhome | eBay
goransons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 08:55 PM   #828

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Ummm.... Wow. That sure makes an Interstate seem affordable! It would be vastly cheaper to tow a Bambi with an Interstate, you'd get more sleeping room, an extra toilet and an easier vehicle to drive when not towing.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:29 PM   #829
Rivet Master

1967 17' Caravel
Pocatello , Idaho
Quote:
" Ugly" doesn't do it justice.
Landshark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2012, 09:33 PM   #830
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
Quote:
Originally Posted by Landshark View Post
" Ugly" doesn't do it justice.

I agree, just flush half a million down the toilet, it would be less painful !
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 10:29 PM   #831
2 Rivet Member

Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by blmitch5 View Post
Here's one in Chicago.

http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/rvs/2910073207.html

And here is the response I got. Kinda funny.

Hi,

First of all i have to let you know that i am not a camper/airstream connoisseur but i'll try to describe at my best acknowledge. According to an authorized dealer, the camper is in outstanding condition. All the appliances are in working condition . Clean interior has no unpleasant odors of any kind. Main floor doesn't show scuffs and blemishes. There are no roof leaks of any kind. It has a clear and clean title, free of all liens and encumbrances.
This was my father's camper who passed away in December so i know it has always been properly maintained. I hope it's new owner will take care of it as my beloved father did. I moved out of town when i got married so i used to come back home occasionally. The very big distance, my kids and my job as a lawyer doesn't allow me to come there often. This is not a problem for me as far as the transaction is concerned because I was selling this through VTP anyway. I believe you know what VTP is if you buy and sell online often, if you don't I'll be glad to walk you through the process. Let me know if you are still interested so i can get back to you with additional pictures or details.

Best Regards, Ronnie Halpern

And from my reply

I apologize, I was under the impression that you heard of VTP before since they mostly sell on eBay and Craigslist.
Like I said before I will be happy to walk you through the process. VTP is short for Virtual Trading Post and their website is virtualtradingpost dot net , maybe now this sounds familiar to you. As they describe themselves, "Virtual Trading Post is a safe payment system for the Internet that protects both buyer and seller from various forms of online fraud".
I left the camper in their possession last week and I just listed it recently on Craigslist. The fact that I'm not home will not affect the selling procedure through this service. They will take care of shipping, payment and title transfer(it is already signed by me and notarized so they are empowered to do this ). So the process goes like this: if you agree with the camper description and price, you must register on their website and they will send you an invoice with the payment instructions and the transaction details. You send the payment to them and as soon as the payment is confirmed they will start the shipping process, which usually takes between 3 and 5 working days. As soon as you will receive the camper, a 10 Day money Back Guarantee starts (which is a standard guarantee for all items listed on Craigslist) and you can inspect it and see if it's everything you expected. This guarantee allows you to return the camper if by any chance something is wrong with it, my description was not accurate or I failed to specify something about it's condition. Basically you can return the camper with no questions asked and if that's the case the returning process will be free of charge for you, I will be held responsible for all costs. If you accept the camper, then you'll sign that you accept it and they will transfer the payment to me.
I forgot to mention that the complete process is free of charge for you, the listed price on Craigslist already includes all the fees including the shipping and handling, so there is no reason to be scared for any extra fees, there are none. The process is very simple and secure, it may sound a little complicated because I had to explain the whole deal in details, it really isn't complicated at all. I hope you are still interested and if you would like to start the process you need to register at virtualtradingpost dot net. If that's the case please make sure you understand the process and read the terms and conditions listed on their website before you register. I will be glad to answer any questions you may have.

Thank you

On Thu, Mar 22, 2012 at 8:59 PM, BRADLEY MITCHELL <blmitch5@me.com> wrote:
I'm not sure what VTB is but I would like to see it. Do you have someone who will be able to show it this weekend? I'm very interested in this Basecamp.

Thanks

Brad

I didn't realize that Craigslist had a 10 day guarantee.
Reading that, without knowing the price on the unit or anything about it, I would have known it was a scam from the moment he used "beloved father" in his reply. Nobody talks like that unless they are trying to sound overly reassuring and legit, which is a clear sign of a scammer.
Nightwatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2012, 11:09 PM   #832
Rivet Master

Port Orchard , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nightwatch View Post
Reading that, without knowing the price on the unit or anything about it, I would have known it was a scam from the moment he used "beloved father" in his reply. Nobody talks like that unless they are trying to sound overly reassuring and legit, which is a clear sign of a scammer.
That same word caught my attention also. The bank president in Nigeria that told me about 3.7 million dollars he and I will soon split, talked just like that.

Ken
Ag&Au is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 07:32 AM   #833
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Looks like a scam:

2QO8-Airstream International CCD-16' Very Clean, Rarely Used! - Ontario Travel Trailers, Campers For Sale - Kijiji Ontario Canada.
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 11:58 AM   #834
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON

Oh well. Maybe we should copy some of the text to give and example of what to watch for?
Old 02-02-2013, 12:14 PM   #835
3 Rivet Member

1998 34' Limited
ont , Ontario
Got it from my cache. Looks like it was posted all across Canada on Kijiji. No contact info.

"Date Listed 19-Jan-13 Last Edited 19-Jan-13 Price $5,800.00 Address Canada For Sale By Owner

-CQNTACT ME FQR M0RE PICS AND INFQ!-This 16' Signature series Airstream International is a dream to tow being the lightest Signature model, All it's equipment is in perfect working condition and it definitely turns heads when going down the highway!-
redstart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2013, 04:29 PM   #836
Streamline Owner

Vintage Kin Owner
Indianapolis , Indiana
I don't have the post anymore as it was four or five months ago - and I was very new to reading ads on CL. It was, however, my introduction to scam artists.

I asked to see the trailer in person (as the ad actually had a city listed for the trailer, unusual I know).

The reply immediately started talking about Internet transactions, ten day guarantees and shipping.

This confused me! I had explicitly informed the seller I lived only 30 miles down the road...

Curiouser and curiouser.

If you don't get caught in the frenzy of "must own shiny vintage aluminum immediately" you can weed out the CL junk pretty easily.
Nolavalkyrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2013, 07:54 PM   #837
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
"This listing (181107203363) has been removed, or this item is not available." I had reported the listing to Ebay for location violation, but I don't know if they used my report to act.

I thought a 16' 2012 Serenity starting at $10,000 might be questionable. I managed to ask (through Ebay Ask function) where it was located, since it didn't say in the ad.

I got a response as follows, with 24 pictures attached (I have included 3 for comparison):
"Hi,
Sorry for the late response, but because I`ve opened a new business in Hawaii, it`s hard for me to answer faster.
The coach has no technical problems, no damages, no hidden stories, no storm damage, clean title. Made full service 2 months ago, changed the oil, all fluids, it has 80% new tires. The coach is ready for a long trip and a nice vacation. The interior is also in perfect shape, odor free. The rv and the documents are located in Issaquah WA.
I`ve sent you the pictures too. Asking $22,000 cash.

Thank you for your interest
Brian Colvin"

Anyone recognize the pictures or location? I looked at the Seattle/Portland/Boise Airstream dealer pics, but they do not match. I am glad that the potential seller was so kind as to change the oil.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	237
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	181510   Click image for larger version

Name:	2.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	41.2 KB
ID:	181511  

Click image for larger version

Name:	10.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	181512  

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #838
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
There are several other RV lots around the Puget Sound area, so not finding a dealer pic is understandable...what I would like to know. Just where do I change the oil in a trailer?

Just a thought...it's got to be bogus....IMHO
strmstr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 11:56 AM   #839
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2013 25' FB Eddie Bauer
2012 20' Flying Cloud
Small Town , *** Big Sky Country ***Western Montana
LOL ... the first clue is that they changed the oil in the "coach". This is a TT ... what oil needs changing???

Great minds think alike ... I guess that I need to update my thread to see what others have posted BEFORE I hit submit.
Terminal Aluminitis; 2-people w/ 3+ dogs
mefly2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #840
2 Rivet Member

2007 19' Bambi
2020 27' Globetrotter
Chicago , Illinois
Phil and or Sue,

This should help:

eBay Guides - Car Scams - Beware of Extremely Low Buy It Now Offers
Pickles is offline   Reply With Quote