Old 05-13-2008, 08:17 PM   #785
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
found on Craigs list in the Bay area

I couldn't resist replying to an add for a 2002 31 foot Classic for $5800 in the San Francisco area. They sent more pictures figuring they had a live one on the hook. Below is the reply. I replied to them saying that I want to pick up the unit where they have it stored for the $5800 in cash. I will post their reply to that when/if I get one. I noticed that the ad has already been pulled from Craigs list.

Hello and thank you for your interest in my trailer. This trailer is in excellent working conditions, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title. I sell at this price because in the past few moths we've tried to develop a family business but unfortunately the things didn't work the way we've expected and now I really need cash because I am at one step from losing my market, so I've decided to sell the trailer.The trailer is located in Logan, Utah , at the shipping company ready to be send at your place. We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at www.world-wide-shippers.tk Vehicle Purchase Protection and I have a purchase protection account for $ 10.000.
The final price that I want for this trailer is $ 5,800 including trailer, shipping and handling.

Please contact me only at e-mail because I don't have a phone number for 2 or 3 weeks.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:58 PM   #786
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
I couldn't resist replying to an add for a 2002 31 foot Classic for $5800 in the San Francisco area. They sent more pictures figuring they had a live one on the hook. ...
I will post their reply to that when/if I get one. ...
Very interested in their next action. Please attach a picture to your reply, too. I am always curious where the pictures come from. One scam auction had pics from Airstream of Arkansas, as I recall (although found this out when AoA replied saying so, not from anything in the picture).

'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 10:22 PM   #787
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
1977 Argosy 28
Agassiz , b.c.
eBay Airstream Scams

I reported the auction you saw the other day to eBay and they ended it shortly afterwards. One member was correct, it was a hijacked account. They usually list 16' and 19' Bambi's for some stupidly low price of between $5K and $9K, and then ask you to email them first at an email address in the listing. One thing in common, all of these scammers are overseas, from the UK to Hungary to Singapore. So basically if they ask for too much info from you, and for you to wire funds using worldpay or western union it is a scam, guaranteed! I discovered this type of scam on ebay a few years ago after a friend of mine almost got scammed on a laptop with what appeared to be a legit seller. you can check out two well read reviews i have on there that explains this sort of thing in detail. eBay has done wonders on cracking down on them, but a few still pop up, which has made a lot of the scammers go to craigslist where there are hundreds listed everyday, especially in the lower populations where it takes longer for them to be discovered. Some even use an army type email address to use for their story of being overseas. Bunch of sick @#$#%!! (you can get a free email address at army.com and throw a 'SGT' in front of it)eBay - Reviews & Guides by razdbywolves the more you know the better off you are............kevin
Old 05-14-2008, 12:09 AM   #788
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
The reply...how can I resist?

Hi ,
The trailer is already at the shipping company www.world-wide-shippers.tk in Logan, Utah, was put in to a container and now is ready to be shipped (the shipping taxes are already been paid by me), the title comes into in your name and address. I am the first owner and the title is clear.
Let me tell you how we will make this deal:
1. You will have to give me your:
Full name:
Address:
City/State/Zip:
Phone#:
2. I will open a transaction record with Worldwide Shipping Vehicle Purchase Protection and they will contact you with all the details regarding the payment.
3. You will be contacted by Worldwide Shipping Vehicle Purchase Protection.
4. You will make the deposit payment of 2,900 US and balance payment 2,900 cash on delivery!
5. You must send the money on one of Worldwide Shipping Vehicle Purchase Protection agent for a better security.
6. I will start the shipping process after you complete Worldwide Shipping Vehicle Purchase Protection instructions.
7. You will have seven days to inspect and test drive the trailer.
After you get the trailer and if you decide to keep it they will release the money if NOT will refund your money and the shipping company will take the trailer back and keep it until I find a new buyer. The shipping will take maximum 1-3 working days. The payment you make will be kept by Worldwide Shipping Vehicle Purchase Protection agent until you will receive and inspect the trailer. There is no risk in this deal. If this is agreeable with this please e-mail me with the following information in order to get this deal arranged with Worldwide Shipping Vehicle Purchase Protection and also the shipping ready and they will give you the tracking# as soon the trailer it's on the way to you so you can track it. Mail me ASAP if you are still very interested in my trailer because now I have more buyers still interested in my trailer.
Thank you for your time!
Old 05-14-2008, 12:36 AM   #789
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Is this the same 2002 AS Classic 30' trailer . . . ????

. . . . if it is, it is also listed on Craigslist in Seattle, VIN: 1STJBBP272J514198

2002 Airstream Classic 30' Travel Trailer
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2008, 08:37 AM   #790
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
One in the same

Yup, that's the one. I asked the crook "I noticed that your trailer is no longer on Craigs list. Is there a problem?" and haven't received any answer. Just for fun (slow night) I went to the "shipping" web site. My fraud detection software wouldn't allow me in.

How could anybody be dumb enough to fall for this scam? There are so many glaring holes in the deal.
Old 05-14-2008, 08:42 AM   #791
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by altamont
Yup, that's the one. I asked the crook "I noticed that your trailer is no longer on Craigs list. Is there a problem?" and haven't received any answer. Just for fun (slow night) I went to the "shipping" web site. My fraud detection software wouldn't allow me in.

How could anybody be dumb enough to fall for the is scam? There are so many glaring holes in the deal.
It's really sad. I don't think it's necessarily people who are "dumb" but they are certainly not Internet-savvy. My father-in-law is a smart guy, but he's just lost when it comes to his computer. Watching him browse the Web is nearly painful. He clicks on EVERY single thing that you or I would know to NEVER click on. And I could see how he could get scammed by something like this.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2008, 08:49 AM   #792
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
All I can say is that if it sounds too good to be true, it probably isn't. Internet savvy has nothing to do with seeing a trailer listed for a tenth of its value.
Old 05-18-2008, 08:48 PM   #793
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
You notice, they use figures just under the "fed" minimum of ten thousand so the IRS doesn't get notified. Interesting huh?
Old 06-15-2008, 03:38 PM   #794
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Wow - another 34 for $5800!!

eBay Motors: 1994 34ft AIRSTREAM LIMITED CLASSIC Travel Trailer RV (item 270246669875 end time Jun-19-08 18:12:36 PDT)

Seems like we've seen these pictures before . . . . like the shipping comments left over from real account owner about $2.00 insurance per item . . . .

I contacted the real owner to inform that their account was possibly hijacked.

Anyone else want to report this one to eBay????
Old 06-16-2008, 05:35 PM   #795
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight

Anyone else want to report this one to eBay????
It's already gone.
Old 06-18-2008, 06:17 AM   #796
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight View Post

... Seems like we've seen these pictures before . . . . . . .
I didn't see the pictures.

If you can, grab the main pic from the "alledgedly fraud" auction, and post it here. It's interesting to see how many will repeat.

Thanks for acting on it too!
AIR 1753
Old 03-13-2009, 03:40 PM   #797
1 Rivet Member

1979 Argosy Minuet 7.3 Metre
1977 Argosy 28
Agassiz , b.c.
apparently no one has caught this one, as ebay isnt shutting it down. it must have fooled them too as ive reported it numerous times. eBay Motors: 2002 Airstream Bambi trailer 19' camper very clean (item 120389849982 end time Mar-16-09 20:55:48 PDT) has only a couple days left but ive bid it up to over $30K so hopefully no one gets scammed. this is one of the best least obvious scams ive caught, but if you look in description theyre wanting only 8900, but never had a buy it now for that amount, and theyre asking you to email your PO for shipping costs.........that's the giveaway right there, most people would pick this up.......so when i emailed him he sent me all the usual VPP ebay bull about its in storage ready to ship etc. shipping was only $200 and he never even asked me where i live! its a hijacked ebay account, and i checked the user, they havent purchased or sold anything in roughly 3 years....
Old 03-13-2009, 08:14 PM   #798
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by uglyduck24 View Post
apparently no one has caught this one, as ebay isnt shutting it down. it must have fooled them too as ive reported it numerous times. eBay Motors: 2002 Airstream Bambi trailer 19' camper very clean (item 120389849982 end time Mar-16-09 20:55:48 PDT) ...

It's invalid now (9:15pm). I was hoping to see the picture, but alas it's all gone...

AIR 1753