Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 02-06-2007, 10:44 AM   #589
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
You know, with the amount of Airstreams that appear in fraudulent e-bay listings alone, you would think they would have staff members that would check out every add individually. I know that there are thousands of listings everyday, but it could be random investigations on big ticket items or maybe write a search engine the would automatically alert them to auctions that meet certain criteria such as a big ticket item with instructions to contact private e-mail accounts or not to use pay-pal or something. I mean, if the CIA/FBI can monitor every phone call in the world electronically and kick out calls that meet certain predetermined profiles for a human to monitor, you'd think e-bay could do the same. If they routinely investigated 10% of the auctions to make sure they are legitimate, that would discourage, if not eliminate these scam artist. Or at least make them work harder and more creatively to steel from unsuspecting folks.

I have a couple of items that I'd like to list, but I almost don't want to because I've never sold on e-bay and don't want my e-bay account or pay-pal account hi-jacked.
__________________

__________________
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 10:59 AM   #590
Rivet Master
 
Phil and/or Sue's Avatar
 
1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 857
Images: 40
Hijack?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
...
If they routinely investigated 10% of the auctions to make sure they are legitimate, that would discourage, if not eliminate these scam artist. Or at least make them work harder and more creatively to steel from unsuspecting folks.

I have a couple of items that I'd like to list, but I almost don't want to because I've never sold on e-bay and don't want my e-bay account or pay-pal account hi-jacked.
Howdy. I wonder if they are understaffed like most corporations. Or have grown so fast that they can't keep pace with what should be done in all areas. Or both. Luckily, users have a reasonably easy way to flag an auction that doesn't pass the smell test: if it smells fishy, report it. Then, they can focus on what was reported.

Regarding selling on Ebay, and using PayPal, typical password selection criteria is important. For example, making sure that your password is a good one (not easily guessed or deduced) can make a tremendous difference in safety. Also, adding a combination of letters and numbers, with uPper and lOwer casE can increase the time needed to break it. I would guess that hijacked accounts did not follow these rules. PayPal is money, so it is critical.

Besides, there are more ways to be ripped off on Ebay than hijacked accounts!
__________________

__________________
Phil and/or Sue w/ Cheryl & Penny and Roger
(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/2015)
1997 34' Excella
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 11:08 AM   #591
Rivet Master
 
GreatPumpkin's Avatar
 
Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1,033
Images: 70
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate
You know, with the amount of Airstreams that appear in fraudulent e-bay listings alone, you would think they would have staff members that would check out every add individually. I know that there are thousands of listings everyday, but it could be random investigations on big ticket items or maybe write a search engine the would automatically alert them to auctions that meet certain criteria such as a big ticket item with instructions to contact private e-mail accounts or not to use pay-pal or something. I mean, if the CIA/FBI can monitor every phone call in the world electronically and kick out calls that meet certain predetermined profiles for a human to monitor, you'd think e-bay could do the same. If they routinely investigated 10% of the auctions to make sure they are legitimate, that would discourage, if not eliminate these scam artist. Or at least make them work harder and more creatively to steel from unsuspecting folks.

I have a couple of items that I'd like to list, but I almost don't want to because I've never sold on e-bay and don't want my e-bay account or pay-pal account hi-jacked.
I've emailed them quite a few times. I don't see why they can't/won't set up a simple program to catch these crooks - the majority of them have the exact same m.o. So far eBay hasn't done anything

You'll be fine with just a little caution on what you do and how you do it. I sold (and bought) on eBay for 6 years without ever getting my account hijacked. Never "log" in to eBay thru an email link - no matter how legitimate it looks. Always open a new browser and use your "favorites" link to go to eBay and sign in.
__________________
AIR 12256
Currently Looking
2001 Dodge Ram 1500
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 01:03 PM   #592
Dr Joe
 
winner's Avatar
 
Central , South Carolina
Join Date: Mar 2002
Posts: 252
Images: 6
Today, I received an email, purported to be from Ebay, in connection with the sale of an item in the Motor sales section of Ebay wanting to know if I was serious about my bid and wanting me to confirm additional financial details.
This email, for some reason locked up my email server for several hours, but eventally made it to my in-box. I immediately deleted it from my in=box and in turn deleted it from my deleted files. At that time, my computer mail server cleared up. My provider (bellsouth) informed me that the email could have caused all the problem with my mail server not working.
How this relates to this thread.
I am a member of A/S Forums and my email address dates from the very early days of this forum. Who ever these scammers are, they have access to the members list
as a reference for finding victims. The email had a complete and correct Ebay letterhead, etc. The reason I am posting here is to alert anyone receiving who experiences an unusual lock-up of a mail server with such an email to totally delete it from your PC system.
__________________
Dr Joe & Winn
Emeritus Airstreamers
KD8VD
winner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 02:30 PM   #593
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan
 
Minnie's Mate's Avatar
 
2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Join Date: Aug 2004
Posts: 4,693
Images: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by winner
Today, I received an email, purported to be from Ebay, in connection with the sale of an item in the Motor sales section of Ebay wanting to know if I was serious about my bid and wanting me to confirm additional financial details.
This email, for some reason locked up my email server for several hours, but eventally made it to my in-box. I immediately deleted it from my in=box and in turn deleted it from my deleted files. At that time, my computer mail server cleared up. My provider (bellsouth) informed me that the email could have caused all the problem with my mail server not working.
How this relates to this thread.
I am a member of A/S Forums and my email address dates from the very early days of this forum. Who ever these scammers are, they have access to the members list
as a reference for finding victims. The email had a complete and correct Ebay letterhead, etc. The reason I am posting here is to alert anyone receiving who experiences an unusual lock-up of a mail server with such an email to totally delete it from your PC system.
Thanks for the heads up Dr. Joe. I have received such "official" looking e-mails before from both e-bay and from pay-pal wanting me to confirm key account information. I always delete any e-mails from e-bay or pay-pal if I don't have current bids into e-bay or transactions into pay-pal without opening them. If it's important, they will send me another. So far, I haven't received any second e-mails from them.
__________________
2006 30' Safari - "Changes in Latitudes"
2008 F-250 Lariat Power Stroke Diesel Crew Cab SWB
Family of Disney Fanatics
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2007, 03:22 PM   #594
4 Rivet Member
 
flitzwhopper's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 326
list hijacking...

Quote:
Originally Posted by winner
Today, I received an email, purported to be from Ebay, in connection with the sale of an item in the Motor sales section of Ebay wanting to know if I was serious about my bid and wanting me to confirm additional financial details.
This email, for some reason locked up my email server for several hours, but eventally made it to my in-box. I immediately deleted it from my in=box and in turn deleted it from my deleted files. At that time, my computer mail server cleared up. My provider (bellsouth) informed me that the email could have caused all the problem with my mail server not working.
How this relates to this thread.
I am a member of A/S Forums and my email address dates from the very early days of this forum. Who ever these scammers are, they have access to the members list
as a reference for finding victims. The email had a complete and correct Ebay letterhead, etc. The reason I am posting here is to alert anyone receiving who experiences an unusual lock-up of a mail server with such an email to totally delete it from your PC system.
I have some experience with mail servers and php applications such as the one that serves this forum. I would not be willing, given what I know, to assert with any certainty that this server had beem hacked and the member list of email addresses hijacked. Not all of the members have ebay accounts with the same username.
The most common means where my users have their email addresses hijacked is from spyware or virus compromised computers that have your email address in any one of the fields including, to, from, cc or blind cc.
Email that locks up servers usually includes specific streams of binary information that is used for control information within the server. These messages, when being rendered to an email client can cause the same effect.
Our experience with specific account information being used to spoof financial institutions is that the information has come from the users computers and has been rendered from a spyware bot that feeds the information to a zombie server.

Hope this helps

Thanks

Mike
__________________
Donna & Mike
Cowboy up! or go sit in the truck

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 07:56 PM   #595
4 Rivet Member
 
flitzwhopper's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 326
the theory being...

if we get thies as soon as they're posted, maybe the scammers will get the message - ever vigilant
the latest one 120084585680
__________________
Donna & Mike
Cowboy up! or go sit in the truck

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:40 PM   #596
4 Rivet Member
 
SafariSS's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 475
Oh yeah, what a buy....

Only if I had the 2900 bucks for a like new 2005 CCD 25',

Check it out...

eBay: 2005 AIRSTREAM INTERNATIONAL CCD 25 SS TRAILER (item 120084585680 end time Feb-08-07 16:21:31 PST)
__________________
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:27 PM   #597
Rivet Master
 
Phil and/or Sue's Avatar
 
1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 857
Images: 40
Talking Hey, I wanted that!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
Only if I had the 2900 bucks for a like new 2005 CCD 25',

Check it out...

eBay: 2005 AIRSTREAM INTERNATIONAL CCD 25 SS TRAILER (item 120084585680 end time Feb-08-07 16:21:31 PST)
Hey, I bid on this ($100!!!!) and someone has already bid over me! Wasn't you was it?

I reported all 4 Airstream auctions (same seller ID) as fraudulent and emailed the actual seller (from his "Me" website on Ebay). I also asked him a question stating "this is a fraud". The scammer's gmail address would probably be as hard to report as AOL email abuse is (impossible: they don't want to hear about it).
__________________
Phil and/or Sue w/ Cheryl & Penny and Roger
(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/2015)
1997 34' Excella
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:35 PM   #598
4 Rivet Member
 
SafariSS's Avatar
 
2005 30' Safari
Houston Texas , Texas
Join Date: Aug 2006
Posts: 475
Yeah,

I sent him a email asking for interior pics, and he wanted to make "financial arrangements" that included free shipping!!

Wow
__________________
SafariSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:08 PM   #599
Rivet Master
 
Phil and/or Sue's Avatar
 
1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 857
Images: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafariSS
I sent him a email asking for interior pics, and he wanted to make "financial arrangements" that included free shipping!!

Wow
I assume that you did not send that email to the Ebay "Ask seller a question", but rather the scammer's email? I haven't been so brave generally as to reveal my email to the scammer, but I have sent questions to seller (using Ebay Ask Seller a Question), and email to the actual ID holder when found.

If you want to email a scammer, I recommend that you open one of the free email accounts to use, or Yahoo has temporary ones that can be used if you have Yahoo. That alllows you to email without the possibility of them grabbing or attacking your regular email. Or even selling your email address as a confirmed email.
__________________
Phil and/or Sue w/ Cheryl & Penny and Roger
(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/2015)
1997 34' Excella
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2007, 07:43 AM   #600
4 Rivet Member
 
flitzwhopper's Avatar
 
1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 326
Phil and/or Sue offers very good advice... opening a temporary account on one of the numerous free email sites is the best practice when corresponding with supposed scammers. If they know you have an ebay account, they can try to spoof an ebay security message which gives them your username and password.... the rest is obvious.

Thanks
Mike
__________________
Donna & Mike
Cowboy up! or go sit in the truck

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:06 AM   #601
Rivet Master
 
Phil and/or Sue's Avatar
 
1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 857
Images: 40
2005 AIRSTREAM 16' SAFARI BAMBI TRAVEL TRAILER CAMPER
Item number:250082661659

eBay: 2005 AIRSTREAM 16' SAFARI BAMBI TRAVEL TRAILER CAMPER (item 250082661659 end time Feb-13-07 16:18:30 PST)

Brand new (stickers still on table), no reserve, wrong category. Reported to Ebay, and Ask Seller Question was sent to request inspection. I decided not to bid: too small for us
__________________
Phil and/or Sue w/ Cheryl & Penny and Roger
(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/2015)
1997 34' Excella
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2007, 04:12 AM   #602
Rivet Master
 
Phil and/or Sue's Avatar
 
1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Join Date: Feb 2003
Posts: 857
Images: 40
2004 TOWABLE TRAVEL TRAILER CAMPER 2004 AIRSTREAM CLAS

Item number: 230089994148

eBay: 2004 TOWABLE TRAVEL TRAILER CAMPER 2004 AIRSTREAM CLAS (item 230089994148 end time Feb-11-07 19:58:19 PST)

Now this is more my size! I Ask Seller'd a request to inspect! Also reported to Ebay. Probably won't be able to complete my bid...
__________________

__________________
Phil and/or Sue w/ Cheryl & Penny and Roger
(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/2015)
1997 34' Excella
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Anthony Edwards Triple Axle 4 Sale on eBay! Cat Our Community 6 10-21-2009 10:41 PM
ebay - 1983 MH Brochure ViewRVs Airstream Motorhome Forums 1 12-05-2002 09:28 PM
Found new A&E awning Dave-O Awnings 4 10-21-2002 09:15 PM
How to include multiple pictures in a post! PeterH-Airstreamer Forum Admin, News and Member Account Info 1 02-23-2002 11:36 PM


Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.