Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-17-2006, 01:16 PM   #61
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
reporting scams on eBay

To report the scam to the user, just click on "Ask seller a question" on the upper right portion of the listing. It will allow you to contact them directly. The only times I've done it, the email went to the real user, not the scammer.

To report the fraud to eBay, go to the bottom of the listing and click on "Security Center". Choose "Report another problem" and press the "Report Problem" button. I then choose "Fraud concerns for buyers" in Step 1 and "Report a listing you think is fraudulent" in Step 2.

I did this yesterday and it took several hours to cancel the listing.

You'd think eBay would get better at catching them!

63GT
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:24 PM   #62
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Same bambi I reported earlier....

Note the classifications where this is listed on ebay....
This keeps the really greedy people curious because they think they have stumbled onto a "real bargain" that got mis-classified.
All these ads play on greed.....
This is the same bambi I had reported on in an earlier post....
However, now you can actually place a bid thru ebays' site....
This is a perfect example of how ebays' "security" system has been breached.
This is one of possibly hundreds or thousands of bogus auctions occurring on ebay at this very moment....
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 01:37 PM   #63
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Toying with scammers

I sold a boat two years ago on the class association website. All listings were met with the "Classic over-pay" scam. Another owner posted this link from the saab website about toying with the scammers.

It's a bit off-topic and a little long, but amusing.

see http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/class/scam/

I hope it doesn't inspire 65GT too much!

63GT
Old 01-17-2006, 01:55 PM   #64
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
In regards to the scammer

I thought doing the same thing twice and expecting different results was insanity??? You would think a savy scammer would at least list sob.
cloud55
cloud55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 04:11 PM   #65
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The "seller" keeps cancelling bids, with the explanation (poorly written) that it's a "buy it now" auction. I'm sure it is...
Old 01-17-2006, 04:20 PM   #66
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
I sold a non-existant horse to a guy from Nigeria last year who Fed-Ex'd me a counterfeit check... can you believe the nerve of that guy? I've still got the check and the emails... it was fun, but it takes more time than I've got...

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 05:29 PM   #67
4 Rivet Member

1977 25' Caravanner
Jeffersonville , Kentucky
Well,,,,,,, It is cancelled,,,,,, you guys are good,,,there are scammers all over, always beware
Old 01-17-2006, 06:40 PM   #68
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Karma all around

Good job scammin the scammers, kinda makes you want to work out a nigerian style remake of "The Sting"

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:09 PM   #69
2 Rivet Member

2001 19' Bambi
Running Springs , California
Difinitely a scam! I alerted E-bay to a Bambi that was the same price. The woman was in England and would not enter into an escrow agreement. She said that 'square trade' would handle the transaction. But, 'Square Trade' is a conflict resolution company, not an escrow company. The seller got very indignant and insisted 'Square Trade' was like an escrow company and I know full well it is not. In addition, when I attempted to view her profile and rating I was redirected to an e-mail. I reported the incident to e-bay and a few days later the listing was gone. E-bay doesn't share the results of their investigation, but suffice it to say it was a scam. These folks are smooth talkers and you better do your homework or all the money you have allocated to your dream of owning an Airstream will be gone forever.

I found a Bambi locally after a few more months of searching and was glad to deal with someone of character and integrity. I got a great trailer at a fair price.

Remember, if its too good to be true it no doubt is--especially when it comes to AS.
geosouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2006, 07:59 PM   #70
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Ok... then... no scam here. Just send me the money you'd planned to use to buy an Airstream, OK? That way I don't have to lie to you, and I'll still get your money!

Roger
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:50 PM   #71
Rivet Master

1979 23' Safari
1954 29' Liner
Orange , California
Its Baaaaaaack

The trailer is now in Australia, man does it get around.
http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-34-Airstrea...QQcmdZViewItem

Bill
Bill Kerfoot, WBCCI/VAC/CAC/El Camino Real Unit #5223
Just my personal opinion
1973 Dodge W200 PowerWagon, 1977 Lincoln Continental, 2014 Dodge Durango
1979 23' Safari, and 1954 29' Double Door Liner Orange, CA

https://billbethsblog.blogspot.com/
wkerfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:32 PM   #72

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Another ebay scam we ran into for the first time today - though we saw this one coming a mile away! When someone asks you a question about an auction it comes in an official looking letter from ebay, and you follow a link back to the ebay site and log in to reply. Ebay of all people should know better than to get people used to following a link in an email to log in!

So today we get a suspicious letter with bad engrish, demanding we contact them immediately, because they already sent their money and are going to turn us into the police! Hmmm, doesn't sound like a typical letter we get from an ebay customer. So we check out the link to follow, and sure enough, it's a phishing scam, cleverly disguised as a regular ebay-user question email.

With ebay being stupid enough to condition users to follow a link to login, despite constantly warning people about fishing scams, and scammers catching on and using that format, expect more hijackings in the future!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:44 PM   #73
4 Rivet Member

I'm getting phished off!

Maybe the way to get this guy is to report him to AOL for using his AOL account for illegal activites. I would tend to think that AOL has something in their EULA that prohibits using the account for such activites.

After 5 years using Ebay .... I am now dealing with my first deadbeat bidder ... It has made me rethink the whole value of the ebay site ... the concept of self policing via "feedback" and the such. I wonder where ebay's "hold harmless" statements are in their EULA. They should be liable for losses via their conduit to "business". They should be ashamed that they can't screen and stop blatent scams .... or do more to enforce payment on auctions that they facilitate. They certainly have enough in profits to cover any losses that they are a party to. Any live auctioneer that allowed such crap would be out of business quickly.

D
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #74
3 Rivet Member

I just now took a look at this. Is it the same guy?

I would love to read the transactions on selling the non-existant horse to the guy who wrote a bad check.

this is wayyyyyyy too funny.

gryphon
WBCCI #6978

There are two ways to die in the desert.
One is by thirst and the other is drowning.
gryphon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 06:52 PM   #75
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I've got 25K on it again -- you're free to run it up. I'll be gone for the next couple of hours though (in case he cancels the bids). But come on guys -- you can't buy it so tick him off instead! You do it enough and eventually he goes away, maybe to sell Cadillacs in the socks and shoes section!

__
The same guy has the same trailer in three auctions. I currently have all 3 tied up @14999.99 each. I also emailed the user whose account got 'jacked this time...
Old 01-18-2006, 06:54 PM   #76
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by airstreamcaravel
Maybe the way to get this guy is to report him to AOL for using his AOL account for illegal activites. I would tend to think that AOL has something in their EULA that prohibits using the account for such activites.

After 5 years using Ebay .... I am now dealing with my first deadbeat bidder ... It has made me rethink the whole value of the ebay site ... the concept of self policing via "feedback" and the such. I wonder where ebay's "hold harmless" statements are in their EULA. They should be liable for losses via their conduit to "business". They should be ashamed that they can't screen and stop blatent scams .... or do more to enforce payment on auctions that they facilitate. They certainly have enough in profits to cover any losses that they are a party to. Any live auctioneer that allowed such crap would be out of business quickly.

D
He needs to be reported to AOL, but he was on Yahoo yesterday, and something else the day before. He is giving me a headache following him around...
Old 01-18-2006, 07:12 PM   #77
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
He needs to be reported to AOL, but he was on Yahoo yesterday, and something else the day before. He is giving me a headache following him around...
The odds are he's hacked a way to spoof the emails, so contacting AOL will most likely do very little as he/she/it, is not actually using the AOL or Yahoo services.......

This person is like a nat, no biggie, just annoying.
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 07:33 PM   #78
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by gryphon
I just now took a look at this. Is it the same guy?

I would love to read the transactions on selling the non-existant horse to the guy who wrote a bad check.

this is wayyyyyyy too funny.

gryphon
try www.scamorama.com
if you want to see some funny scam-related stuff.
Old 01-18-2006, 08:20 PM   #79
2 Rivet Member

1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fullerton , California
Since this keeps happening...and he , she , it keeps getting shut down I now think this is more of a practical joker than a scammer. What I find truly amazing is ebay's lack of checking this out. Is this lack of team work over at ebay central. You know the old saying "screw me once, shame on you, screw me twice, shame on me". Ebay should be previewing all ads with keyword airstream after the 2nd offense. Never mind...it is entertaining and gives me something to look for while I'm listing in my ebay store.
I wonder if GT's going to end up with slide out triplets. Someone needs to proxy bid on that fourth one for him so they don't get split between families!
The last time I looked you only needed to raise by a nickel!
cloud55
cloud55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:35 PM   #80
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
Calling out the scammer

OK, Scammer.

If you're reading this, the way to prove you have found us is to list 7 identical "2002 34' Airstream trailer w/slideout & washer L@@K!" items from Australia.

No more, no less.

63GT