Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-30-2007, 06:58 AM   #701
Sky
Classic 30

Sum Wear , Ohio
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade&pam
Just this week we were informed by Ebay that our account had been accessed by a third party
Any idea how they got your password?

2500HD DMax............30' Classic
Old 03-30-2007, 09:28 AM   #702
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
West Richland , Washington
Ebay didn't say, other than providing a list several differents ways your account can be hacked and do's and don'ts on Ebay.

Pam
Old 03-30-2007, 10:50 AM   #703
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Ebay didn't say, other than providing a list several differents ways your account can be hacked and do's and don'ts on Ebay.

Pam
Did you get an email from Ebay recently, asking you to confirm your account information?
Old 03-30-2007, 11:07 AM   #704
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
NO, it wasn't from providing information to a false inquiry. I think one of us must have sent an email message to a apparent scammer and they were able to access our account somehow. We really don't know. I did inquire of some sellers whose responses to me never showed up in My Message (in Ebay) but came to me via email. Ebay says that this is one of the Alerts to be aware that something could be wrong.

We weren't aware of any problems until we weren't able to get into MyEbay. Then we received several Alert emails from Ebay letting us know that our account had been accessed. Ebay sent us the list of stuff the scammer had listed under our name. We didn't receive responses or messages in response to the bid items. And, Ebay has our account blocked from receiving any messages until I complete the security assignments you have to go through. One of the steps you have to take isn't working so I have to get on livechat to work through it. I have been working lots of hours this week, so I just haven't had the time to complete the process. You do have to take the security tutorial and take a test, tho. I know its all for the good, but as is the usual case in these things, the victim has more pain than the perpertrator (sp).

Pam
Old 03-30-2007, 12:33 PM   #705
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Beware!!!!!!

Quote:
Just this week we were informed by Ebay that our account had been accessed by a third party who had placed several listings under my member name. The scammer had listed Airstreams, boats, truck, cars etc. under my name. I was totally unaware until Ebay notified me. Now, Ebay has restricted my account until I complete several tasks. Of course I am glad they caught it, but it is a real pain trying to get your account restored. I have had to change my passwords to paypal, my personal email and ebay. So far, there is no damage that we are aware of. And, for that we are grateful.

Pam
The email from "EBAY" may BE the scam. DO NOT click the link to e-bay! Go into e-bay and contact them from there. These people may be trying to GET your paypal account and e-bay account!

Paula
Old 03-30-2007, 01:53 PM   #706
WHR
2 Rivet Member

1981 24' International
1967 17' Caravel
I don't think so because I have the same messages in MyEbay. I sent Ebay a message from there and they replied to me about my account. What your saying did cross my mind, too. Certainly, undermines your trust and security.

Pam
Old 04-13-2007, 05:59 AM   #707
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Another scam, but it has been awhile. Last month, when I listed my auction to sell something, Ebay asked for confirmation of my credit card number (to cover future listing fees). I was annoyed, but realized that I actually appreciated having an extra layer of security before listing. But, that must have been an exception (maybe it was my anniversary date or something).

"2005 Airstream Travel Trailer 16ft Bambi - - 2,9OO USD
Item number: 150111683134

Shipping costs: US $4.00
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Service to United States"

Brand new evidently, and only $2,900 (although the lister couldn't figure out what a dollar sign is. I wonder what country the scammer is from.), and only $4 shipping. Here is the 1st pic:

(Oh, yeah. Reported to Ebay as fraud: wrong category, low cost shipping, Buy It Now in description but not in auction, "Do not Bid, email me")
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	FraudPic-461f3568-2007-04-13.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	35560  

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2007, 07:39 PM   #708
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
E-Bay Scams on Oprah...

E-Bay's security director Rob Chestnut on Oprah today, along with scam victims and security "expert"... Interesting summary of advice:

1. Phony "pfishing" emails asking to log in or for password updates or to click on link from E-Bay and PayPal so good he said he could be fooled. Bottom line, ignore any e-mail from either that doesn't simply suggest you log in normally through secure website. Don't click links, don't reply...

2. Staff of 20 security folks work to fix scams, but miss a lot, and just as worried about lost revenue for auctions going off-site...

3. His advice is to assume any dealings off the website are fraudulent. Period. Avoid any item re-shipping deals also.

4. Added message from Western Union Security Director strongly advises all customers to never use Western Union to send $$ to someone you don't know personally.

5. Both confirmed counterfeit cashier or bank checks are more and more common, and take at least 2 weeks to either clear or come back as fraud. Don't ever deposit check and wire or send someone back prompt funds from deposit..

6. All agreed no legal remedy for fraudsters outside the US, and less than 1% recovery rate for fraud within US.. You're on your own...

Cheers!

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2007, 09:21 AM   #709
Rivet Master

2004 30' Classic
Field and Stream , PA & MT
I'm selling an Adco airconditioner cover on Ebay right now, and just received this email via the Ebay "Ask a question to the seller":

"If you need additional income, we have an open position as a mediator for selling items on ebay. To learn more, open Get information and enter ZVVU-LFWB-UAOX-ECJR on prompt.Moses"

The person just registered on Ebay yesterday under the User name of "67758614mos( 0)"

That's a new one for me that I haven't seen before. I didn't go to the tradeportal1.org to see what would happen.

John

Old 04-20-2007, 09:24 PM   #710
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyfisher
I'm selling an Adco airconditioner cover on Ebay right now, and just received this email via the Ebay "Ask a question to the seller":

"If you need additional income, we have an open position as a mediator for selling items on ebay. To learn more, open Get information and enter ZVVU-LFWB-UAOX-ECJR on prompt.Moses"

The person just registered on Ebay yesterday under the User name of "67758614mos( 0)"

That's a new one for me that I haven't seen before. I didn't go to the tradeportal1.org to see what would happen.

John
So is this something you'd report? I'd be tempted to ask eBay to confirm the validity of these folks if it were me. I'm amazed at how advanced some of the scammers are getting.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 09:31 PM   #711
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by safari57
So is this something you'd report? I'd be tempted to ask eBay to confirm the validity of these folks if it were me. I'm amazed at how advanced some of the scammers are getting.

Barry
Barry - that's just the first step of the scam. They utilize that "help wanted" ad to dupe you into giving up your password. Then your account gets hijacked for the second part of the scam - fraudulent listings
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2007, 10:30 PM   #712
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Barry - that's just the first step of the scam. They utilize that "help wanted" ad to dupe you into giving up your password. Then your account gets hijacked for the second part of the scam - fraudulent listings
If these people put half the effort into real work the world would be a lot more functional wouldn't it. I wonder sometimes if eBay has for many of us outlived it's usefulness just because there is so much fraud at work you just cannot afford to take a chance. For me at least it has been painful, has cost me money and turned a fair deal into a waste of time and money, and I look now more for entertainment value than to buy things I can get locally. The difference I was saving is made up in knowing I'm getting what I ordered and paid for, there's a level of trust on both sides, and I know I'm thwarting some scum bag scammer from getting even another dime of my hard earned green backs.

Barry
safari57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 07:51 PM   #713
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Here's a new scam with a little bit different approach.
eBay Motors: 1966 Airstream Safari Vintage Very Very Nice (item 290110673188 end time May-03-07 06:41:01 PDT)

Poor grammer/spelling. Listed at $10K, but picture says "$2950 selling price"
anyone recognize the pics? I'm sure they lifted them from someone else.
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2007, 08:17 PM   #714
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Poor grammer/spelling. Listed at $10K, but picture says "$2950 selling price"
anyone recognize the pics? I'm sure they lifted them from someone else.
. . . why do they keep calling it a "car"?

and it looks like they backed it into something hard and stationary.
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2007, 06:01 AM   #715
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
A fraud auction that I actually can report:

2006 AIRSTREAM BAMBI 19 SAFARI TRAVEL TRAILER

=== 2,9oo$ === Free Delivery ===Item number: 220121442087

Wrong category, buy it now in description but not in auction, free shipping (on a 3,000 lb trailer?), bargain price. I sent an "Ask seller" message to try to reach the real ID holder, and reported the auction to Ebay.

On edit, I see that the auction lists GVWR as 4,500#...

The pics are of a new one in a showroom, and I wouldn't have seen them if they were on Ebay before since I only search for less than $10,000.

Here is one photo:
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6-13-2007-466fa1c4.jpg
Views:	116
Size:	19.9 KB
ID:	39091  

AIR 1753
Old 06-15-2007, 11:18 PM   #716
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Another Bambi Scam! - picture taken at Colonial AS in New Jersey

item URL:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110137377592&ssPageNam e=ADME:B:EF:US:11 Description: 2005 Airstream Safari Bambi 16' Travel Trailer Buyers with feddback lower then 10 have to e-mail me for approval , otherwise i reserve the right ... See more Ships to: United States, Canada Seller: jhawks12( 2466)
100% Positive Feedback
Member since Sep-21-99 in United States

When I spotted this eBay ad this afternoon, the Buy Now price was at $5,8K (sic) . . . . Tonite, it's sitting at $30,000!!

We bought a trailer at Colonial AS - recognized the distinctive Cape Cod windows on the building in the background. . . contacted the sales rep at Colonial - says his photos frequently scammed.

Note that the description says "curbside awning" . . . hmmm . . . . guess the scammers aren't familiar with such technical aspects of trailers . . . . also, the "seller" mainly deals in games & puzzles . . . sincerely hope the bidding ramp-up is as much of a fairy tale as this ad is . . .
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	1.jpg
Views:	133
Size:	58.9 KB
ID:	39343  
whitelight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2007, 05:52 AM   #717
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitelight

When I spotted this eBay ad this afternoon, the Buy Now price was at $5,8K (sic) . . . . Tonite, it's sitting at $30,000!!

We bought a trailer at Colonial AS - recognized the distinctive Cape Cod windows on the building in the background. . . contacted the sales rep at Colonial - says his photos frequently scammed.

. . .
sincerely hope the bidding ramp-up is as much of a fairy tale as this ad is . . .
Good catch. The bids are probably fake too. But high bids can hurt the real ID holder, and while I have bid on scams, I never bid high. I just wanted to be notified by Ebay when they cancelled the scam auction.

Did you report that listing to Ebay? I did.

To reiterate how to report a listing,
1. I clicked on "Report This Item" (at the bottom of the listing),
2. then chose "Fraudulent Listing (illegal seller demands, you didn't receive item, etc)" in the top box,
3. then chose "You suspect that a listing is fraudulent you didn't bid",
4. then clicked the "Continue" button which took me to a contact us page.
5. I clicked on " Email us with your question or concern."
6. I enter my question or concern (the listing number is aready in the box): Apparent scam: Auction has "Do not use ask seller", wrong category, 'Buy It Now' in description but not in auction, free shipping (on 3,000 lb trailer).

I like to report them to minimize the damage to the real ID holder. It is a mess and takes time to sort out the real sellers auction (which are cancelled along with the bogus) The sooner caught, the sooner straightened out.

Hopefully the real id holder will select a more secure password in the future (a combination of letters and numbers, with mixed case is good). Bad guys are always looking at ther Internet in general and guessing passwords, and many have automated programs to guess for them.

I use Ebay, and have hoped that they would be more diligent in stopping scams, but it hasn't happened. Last time I listed an item to sell, I had to re-enter my credit card info for listing fees. I was annoyed, but perked up when I realized that that would stop most scammers intheir tracks. Alas, apparently it was merely because my previous card had expired.

I'm know that a lot of people out there do watch and report these scams. Some show up here as a reminder. As a user of Ebay, thanks for all the help policing it.

AIR 1753
Old 06-16-2007, 09:05 AM   #718
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Reporting eBay scams - another Bambi scam!

Yes - I did report the scam! eBay is only as good as its users & it's up to us to keep a watchful eye out for those that blatantly abuse the system.

When I contacted Colonial re the pictures, I suggested that they use a branding watermark on their photos - don't know if eBay could provide that service with jpg images (they'd probably charge more!) i.e. watermark with user ID. When I looked at the images on this ad, they definitely had a trail to the email in the ad, and not the displayed seller's id!

This use of scamming photos goes beyond eBay - several years ago, a person posted an ad for a Sovereign on the vintage site - the picture used featured several family members - turned out that these family members belonged to the real owner who lived across the country from the supposed seller - the "seller" had "borrowed" a photo of the Sovereign from the true owner's website!
Old 06-16-2007, 04:25 PM   #719
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue
Another scam, ...

"2005 Airstream Travel Trailer 16ft Bambi - - 2,9OO USD
Item number: 150111683134

Shipping costs: US $4.00
Standard Flat Rate Shipping Service
Service to United States"

Here's another scam with the same pic.

2005 Airstream Travel Trailer 16ft. Bambi - 2,9oo$

Item number: 200118987022

Reported to Ebay: wrong categories, Buy It Now, don't use "Ask Seller"...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	6-15-07-467429ca.jpg
Views:	142
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	39359  

AIR 1753
Old 06-16-2007, 05:02 PM   #720
aluminauti

Where we , Park it!
Another Bambi scam

. . . I reported this new one to eBay as well. It appears that eBay pulled the Bambi auction that we reported on last night.

Must be "open season" on Bambis for the scammers . . .