Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-18-2007, 12:57 PM   #541
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul NC
I think Ebay should be paying ya'll for doing their job.
But I do get something - an opportunity to buy and sell stuff I can't find locally. I guess I'm willing to get a little involved to keep from loosing that . . .
GetOutDoors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 08:28 PM   #542
2 Rivet Member

eBay Motors: MiG 21F USSR Military Aircraft (item 120071699871 end time Jan-15-07 19:45:00 PST)
VSP Raleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2007, 10:02 PM   #543
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
I don't think that one actually qualifies as a scam - but it does go to prove that you can buy anything on eBay!
2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 07:41 PM   #544
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
so.... does this seem suspicious to anyone else... i haven't reported it because it has a glimmer of reality - but having to contact the seller before bidding seems like a way for a scammer to make contact with a potential dupe...
eBay: 2005 AIRSTREAM 16' SAFARI BAMBI TRAVEL TRAILER (item 300074961705 end time Jan-31-07 07:54:59 PST)

Charter Member Four Corners Unit

WBCCI #2417
flitzwhopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:06 PM   #545
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by flitzwhopper
so.... does this seem suspicious to anyone else... i haven't reported it because it has a glimmer of reality - but having to contact the seller before bidding seems like a way for a scammer to make contact with a potential dupe...
eBay: 2005 AIRSTREAM 16' SAFARI BAMBI TRAVEL TRAILER (item 300074961705 end time Jan-31-07 07:54:59 PST)
Hmmm. No reserve, either. I just emailed the seller asking where it came from and why he's selling it. And asked to be put on the bidders list. (The last thing I need is another trailer). We'll see.

(Buffett RIP 9/15/08, Gus RIP 12/22/15)(Roger RIP 12/30/20, Penny RIP 6/14/21)

1997 34' Excella WBCCI 5936
'09 Dodge Cummins Ram 3500 Crew 4x4 auto
AIR 1753
Phil and/or Sue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 08:51 PM   #546
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
I would say this is a scam. Check out the catagory of the sale. Scammers think that they will not be found in remote dark corners of ebay. This time it's;
Sporting Goods > Equestrian > Riding-English > Saddle Parts & Accessories > Stirrups > Other
Other things include 7 day return policy and also shipping to the America's. This seller could very well be building a list for the "second chance scam".

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2007, 11:53 PM   #547
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Scam -

SCAM - Trying a new approach though. This time they signed up with their own id instead of hijacking someone elses...BUT as AZ pointed out they are still "hiding" the listing in an obscure category. They've also tried to legitimize it by listing another item, a DVD in the correct (almost) category, with the wrong title/description. Trying to appear legit when in fact they are still just a no good dirty rotten scoundrel
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 01-28-2007, 11:59 PM   #548
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Old SCAMMER pattern here:180080073482 and here 180080054876 and a bunch more...

Reported
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 01-29-2007, 04:06 AM   #549
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
Old SCAMMER pattern here:180080073482 and here 180080054876 and a bunch more...

Reported
Look at the catagory, Thats what I need a lifesize Airstream Alarm Clock !

Too Bad it doesn't fit on my nightstand.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 04:31 AM   #550
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreatPumpkin
SCAM - Trying a new approach though. This time they signed up with their own id instead of hijacking someone elses...BUT as AZ pointed out they are still "hiding" the listing in an obscure category. They've also tried to legitimize it by listing another item, a DVD in the correct (almost) category, with the wrong title/description. Trying to appear legit when in fact they are still just a no good dirty rotten scoundrel

How can you say that? He responded back to my question post haste! Here is his reply:
"Hi,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my trailer.First of all I must inform you that currently I'm in Amstrdam,Netherlands where I'm staying with my son and his wife.My son had a heart attack and needs a triple bypass,and this is why I decided to move here with my wife to help his wife to take care of him.He may not make it after operation so I have to stay here.I want to sell the trailer because I don't want it here .The trailer is stored at eBay's Warehouse in San Jose,C.A. The trailer is in good working condition with nothing mechanically wrong. It was used only for a few times and it was always garaged.
The title is clear and is in my name; I have already signed a release for the title to be transferred.
You'll receive also all the papers required for registration.I'm the first owner of the trailer
After inspection,the eBay's experts agreed to hold and ship the trailer to the new owner.
This way, both sides (seller and buyer) are insured by eBay.
The trailer will be shipped from the eBay Warehouse on my expense,as soon as the first payment is confirmed .
The price for this trailer is $5400 USD.
Terms of sale:
Payment:
If you are interested to go ahead with this deal,I want half of the money $2900 USD before shipping and the rest after you'll receive and inspect the trailer

Shipping:
The shipping address must be provided before sending the payment.The trailer will be shipped via DAS Shipping Company and you'll receive it in three or four days.The trailer will be shipped by eBay at my expense.The trailer is ready to be shipped.
Return policy:
If,for any reason,you are not satisfied with the trailer or if it's not as I described it (it won't be the case),you'll be able to return it in 7 days without paying anything and with full refund,of course.If you have other questions,feel free to mail me back.Hope we'll close the deal.

Best Regards,
"

with no name attached other than his email: Chester J Morrison @ yahoo.com (a free email address). If the trailer is held by bay, then ebay should know! I'll try to contact them...no, I'll forward Chester's email.

Darn, I wanted a 2005 Bambi for $5400 USD.

AIR 1753
Old 01-29-2007, 04:53 AM   #551
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
[quote=Phil and/or Sue].
"...The trailer is stored at eBay's Warehouse in San Jose,C.A. The trailer is in good working condition with nothing mechanically wrong. It was used only for a few times and it was always garaged.
The title is clear and is in my name; I have already signed a release for the title to be transferred.
You'll receive also all the papers required for registration.I'm the first owner of the trailer
After inspection,the eBay's experts agreed to hold and ship the trailer to the new owner.
This way, both sides (seller and buyer) are insured by eBay.
The trailer will be shipped from the eBay Warehouse on my expense,as soon as the first payment is confirmed .
The price for this trailer is $5400 USD.
Terms of sale:
Payment:
If you are interested to go ahead with this deal,I want half of the money $2900 USD before shipping and the rest after you'll receive and inspect the trailer

Shipping:
The shipping address must be provided before sending the payment.The trailer will be shipped via DAS Shipping Company and you'll receive it in three or four days.The trailer will be shipped by eBay at my expense.The trailer is ready to be shipped.
Return policy:
If,for any reason,you are not satisfied with the trailer or if it's not as I described it (it won't be the case),you'll be able to return it in 7 days without paying anything and with full refund,of course.If you have other questions,feel free to mail me back.Hope we'll close the deal.

Best Regards,
"

Hey, wait a minute. Ebay's warehouse in San Jose? Huh? Anybody live in San Jose (or nearby)?

Ebay's experts inspected? Shipping for a trailer at his expense? (I live in Georgia, but what if I lived in South America?)

I'm going to email my brother to see if he will front me the $2,900!

AIR 1753
Old 01-29-2007, 05:29 AM   #552
5 rivets, 1 loose screw

1966 20' Globetrotter
Saginaw County , Michigan
Here’s a new twist

I received this email (supposedly from beBay) along with an item number, although I have nothing up for sale right now. When I clicked on the hyperlink, I was taken to a mock eBay sign in page, asking for my user name and password. It all looked geuine but when I opened my eBay account on a different screen, this message was not in My Messages, so it’s obviously a scam attempt to get my password,
Whew! I almost bit. Watch out for this one.

“I think this is exactly what we are looking for.. our school needs but our budget is small..any info you could provide on this would be so helpful We need to try to find out about it ASAP- as your auction ends tomorrow. thanks-

Francisc Barett”

May you camp where wind won’t hit you, where snakes won’t bite and bears won’t git you.

Rog0525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:09 AM   #553
Silver Mist

Currently Looking...
Riverhead , New York
We sell pet supplies on Ebay our account was hijacked two times in the last three weeks.

Both times from Amsterdam, I even have the dirtbags email addy
baniisefac@e2umail.com Ebay can't do anything yet, I'm thinking about pulling out to see if they tighten things up.

When I reported it to ebay I was cut off access for 2 days while it was resolved.

LI Pets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 06:42 AM   #554
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
i notified eBay customer support... i'll check back in a bit to make sure it has been removed. Phil and/or Sue... thanks for being the shill. Teamwork!

Regards

Mike

WBCCI #2417
Old 01-29-2007, 07:14 AM   #555
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

2000 25' Excella
Kingston , Tennessee
Ebay Scam

This is an email that I have recieved twice already with the same person's name. What they do is send it to you at your home, you hit respond now, and they get your information somehow. I have already contacted ebay and I also looked up the name on there, and it is a real seller. I sent them a message telling them what was going on. Be careful! These scammers will say things to get you riled up so you will respond to them. Always answer any messages through ebay, not your home email. Legal messages will be on your Ebay messages also. Always check there before responding. If you get one just forward it to spoof@ebay.com

"Hello,
What`s happening ? I sent you the merchandise already 2 weeks ago and never hear from you again !! If you don`t reply within the next 12 hours, i will report you to eBay and local authoryties. Hope to resolve this issue in a professional manner.

Thank you!"

https://www.etsy.com/your/listings
Silver Threads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2007, 10:34 AM   #556
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue
"...The trailer is stored at eBay's Warehouse in San Jose,C.A.

ya know... One of these days I'm going to have to make a trip down to eBays warehouse in San Jose. It must be one of the new seven wonders of the world - I mean to hold all those airstreams and other equipment it's got to be huge! Maybe we should plan a rally there. We could contact eBay and see if they would let us tour the facility - plan on an all day event
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 01-29-2007, 10:46 AM   #557
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rog0525
I received this email (supposedly from beBay) along with an item number, although I have nothing up for sale right now. When I clicked on the hyperlink, I was taken to a mock eBay sign in page, asking for my user name and password. It all looked geuine but when I opened my eBay account on a different screen, this message was not in My Messages, so it’s obviously a scam attempt to get my password,
Whew! I almost bit. Watch out for this one.

“I think this is exactly what we are looking for.. our school needs but our budget is small..any info you could provide on this would be so helpful We need to try to find out about it ASAP- as your auction ends tomorrow. thanks-

Francisc Barett”
That's how they hijack your account. They use very legitimate looking emails to trick you into "signing in". Once you do that, they have all the info they need to take over.

1) Never click the link in an email from eBay. Even if it is legitimate, it will be in your message file on eBay so don't take the risk.

2) Check the "Status Bar" at the bottom of your screen (Internet Explorer) It will show you the address of the link without clicking it.

3) If it's a stupid, generic question - it's probably fake. i.e. Do you ship to New Jersey, I am interested in your item, please respond.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Threads
"Hello,
What`s happening ? I sent you the merchandise already 2 weeks ago and never hear from you again !! If you don`t reply within the next 12 hours, i will report you to eBay and local authoryties. Hope to resolve this issue in a professional manner.
Thank you!"

I've gotten both kinds of these "phishing" attempts, but so far have never been hijacked. (6 years) I've come close to being fooled, as I do sell on eBay. Sometimes they even use one of the items I have listed when they send the email. The only thing that saved me is checking the status bar before I clicked the respond now button. Anymore, I never reply to an eBay email except thru eBay once I have opened a new page and signed in.
2001 Honda XR650R

Old 01-29-2007, 07:13 PM   #558
4 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Tempe , Arizona
so I emailed eBay on this one -
they don't seem inclined to remove it.... hope the "seller" doesn't reel anyone in.

Mike

WBCCI #2417
Old 01-30-2007, 02:38 AM   #559
Rivet Master

1997 34' Limited
Young Harris , Georgia
Quote:
so I emailed eBay on this one -
they don't seem inclined to remove it.... hope the "seller" doesn't reel anyone in.

Mike
What do you mean? He offereed to sell it to me for $5400USD, but wanted half up front (new math: $2900). He needs it sent to Amsterdam where he is with his son who needs a triple heart bypass. I have several volunteers who can inspect it for me at the Ebay warehouse in San Jose, and I emailed him for information on who they can call to get access. He has not responded yet. I also emailed his reply to Ebay, and to Yahoo asking about legitimacy.

AIR 1753
Old 01-30-2007, 05:33 AM   #560
Rivet Master

, Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil and/or Sue
What do you mean? He offereed to sell it to me for $5400USD, but wanted half up front (new math: $2900). .
That's just a small editing error. The last time his "uncle" ran this ad, the price was $5800. He can't proofread all the ads each time.

When you're running an operation like this from an internet cafe in Lagos, there are bound to be a few mistakes made. If he was good at math, he'd be working as the central banker in a 419 operation.

I wouldn't let it discourage you from bidding. I'm sure he will understand if you just send him $2700. Or $2300. Oh, just send whatever you think is fair.

The important thing is to not let this opportunity get away!
markdoane is offline   Reply With Quote