Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-12-2006, 03:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Ahhhh Come on!!! SCAM SCAM SCAM

I hope there is not one of you (us) to fall for ths Jerk.
Robin C
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:08 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Scam Scam

Dont fall for this Jerk. Report to EBAY and watch the ad disappear.
RC
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #23
Rivet Master

2005 22' International CCD
Buckhorn , Ontario
That is a neat Airstream - for a nice price really - gives you a clean slate to do pretty much anything you wanted inside.

Lets see you could rig it up on a lake for the winter and use it as a warming hut for your ice fishing clients.

Or change it to a mobile blood bank

Or how about a testing facility for schools, trades, or even the new Moped licensing office for those local rental places that now have to have their clients write a M1 license in order to rent a Moped (in Ontario)

Or a Mobile Internet Bar

Or how about the WBCCI HQ buy it - get some real up to date marketing material and go on the road to all the RV Shows in North America and call it the Membership Recruiting Mobile. Or show up at Unit Rallys promoting all the great Intra-Clubs they have to offer.

E-Bay can be great and then it can be a disaster.

Like anything else - you just have to be really careful and use your common sense.
05ModPod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 03:11 PM   #24
Industrialist

Alexandria , .
Question

chikagurl, chikagurl do you know anything about this?
Old 01-12-2006, 03:19 PM   #25
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken J
I've been getting some interesting e-mails lately that appear to be from Ebay saying that someone was not able to pay me through my paypal account - and to send my paypal information - very interesting.....

Ken
Those are called phishing. They will look like they are from paypal or ebay and will include a link to a paypal or ebay looking "verify your account" page. Once you log in you will get a system is down message or a try it again later. Basicly at that point your account is gone along with any credit cards you use with paypal. NEVER USE A LINK ON AN EMAIL. Go directly to the site from your browser. It's not a nice world out there. Check out this link (trust me) for more information about phishing. http://www.antiphishing.org/

I am starting to worry about those rock guards I bought off ebay, naw they will be here tomorrow

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 04:13 PM   #26
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Western , Massachusetts
eBay scam

When we were looking, I bid on one that seemed too good to be true. Never lost a cent and learned quite a bit.

It turns out that they were able to hijack the account of a very reputable seller.

The text of the scammer's and real eBayer's emails follow.

63GT

<<< SCAMMER >>>
Dear Sir ,

I want to be honest with you and I inform you that i stop the listing because i have 2 buyers interested in this trailer , they are willing to pay the buy it now price .To be fair with all possible buyers I will sell the trailer to the first buyer that will arange the Square Trade first payment . If you are able to make the first payment today or tomorrow you will be the next owner of this trailer .
First I will like to tell you that I am in United Kingdom and the trailer is stored at ebay warehouse in San Jose , CA , the trailer will be shipped from there on my expence.
The trailer is like new , in perfect condition . I am selling this trailer because the shipping to Europe will cost me to much.I have this trailer from my father in law .The Buy it now price is $5,100 . I will sell the trailer to the first one that makes a 2,800 $ deposit through Square Trade .

Terms & Conditions Shipping and handling:
The shipping address must be provided before sending the payment. The trailer will be shipped through JC MOTORS or DAS Shipping Company . The trailer will only be sent after receiving the payment. I agreed with eBay Square Trade to send my trailer to its warehouse since I am not in US .
This way, both sides (seller and buyer) are insured by eBay.

Payment:
If you will offer the buy it now price I will suport all the shipping from the warehouse to your address .
For the payment i would like to use eBay Square Trade as a third party . They will keep your money until you get the trailer and will release it to me upon delivery .
Here are my name and address you need for the payment in case you decide to buy the trailer .

[Name Withheld}
187 Edgware Road
London
W2 1ET
United Kingdom

The trailer is ready for shipment, i just need the payment confirmation from Square Trade with the transfer's details and the trailer will be delivered to your address.
REFUND-After the trailer arrives, you have a 7 days period for inspection. If the trailer is different than the way i've described it, 100% refund - transfer fees and the trailer will be shipped back to the warehouse on my expence. Anyway, i don't think it will be necesary, you'll love this trailer from very first moment you'll see it.
Buy with confidence!
I will have pay for an insurance to eBay Square Trade as proof my trustworthiness.
Thanks for the conceded time .
I am looking forward to your reply.

[Name removed to protect the real eBayer]

<<< Here's the email explanation from the real eBayer >>>

YES !!!

It has been a LONG DAY trying to resolve all of this and resetting all my passwords, etc. I have gotten lots of questions re: items that were NOT ever mine...and they had reset my email address too...UGH.

Thanks for the Head's up though, I really appreciate it.

I think that I have successfully secured everything though without any serious damage...

Thanks again,
[name withheld]

<<<>>>
65CV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:02 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Ebay security was compromised along time ago...

Unfortunately for most honest people, ebay had their security system compromised long ago. It is really too bad because ebay now is a billion dollar company that can afford prime time television advertising. Ebay has never adopted a responsible position as a facilitator of the purchase and sale of goods. Ebay has refused to make an investment in keeping its' members accounts secure; instead ebay invests in other companies such as Paypal. This may seem hard to believe but simple craigslist, a grass roots marketplace started in a San Fransisco townhouse, has better security. And the service is completely free for buyers and sellers. Perhaps this is why ebay tried to buy craigslist out. In the end it seems big business increasingly asks more of its' customers while delivering less and raising costs.
Jim Jarzabek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:10 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

I didn't even think about a scam!

Gee I thought someone simply left and extra zero off of the end!

Only one thing as troublesome as a scam ... Thats the DEADBEAT BIDDER- WINNER.

Dealing with one right now .... OH boy a new kind of fun! Fighting with someone you don't know over money .... thats usually reserved for the wife!!

D
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:13 PM   #29

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I think Craigslist is better because there is no illusion of security like there is on eBay. eBay encourages newbies to get on and trade, as if they were somehow looking after their best interests. Yet notice that even when you see an obviously fraudulent auction, there's no easy link to 'report this auction'. They don't want to hear about it.

At least on Craigslist you deal directly with each other, buyer to seller, and most likely deal with someone local. I buy and sell on Craigslist all the time, and so far I haven't had a bad deal yet.

Good job buying it, 65GT. Worst that could happen is it's for real and you have to come up with $5600!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:30 PM   #30
4 Rivet Member

Self Policing

Ebays Philsophy (If you want to call it that) is to let the bidders and sellers self police themselves via the feedback system. I have though seen sellers and buyers with multiple negs ... with no action from ebay. They figure we will get the message out to each other about stupid, scamming, lying, cheaters.

They do review what is posted ... to make shure it is "decent".

Really a great business idea .... complete hold harmless from any judgements.

Shoot thats better than the best malpractice or liability insurance around!

D
airstreamcaravel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 05:32 PM   #31
Rivet Master

1975 31' Sovereign
Oxford , Mississippi
Kinda scary!!!

I buy alot off of ebay and have sold a few things. We always use paypal. Kinda scary about what could happen to all the info in my paypal account, is it really that secure.

Becky
rebel beck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:06 PM   #32
Craftsman

I stopped using Paypal after a buyer charged back $500.00 on the credit card he used to make a purchase from me. You have NO protection against these charge backs. You can dispute the charge back but Paypal will do absolutely nothing to resolve the issue but to pass the loss on to you the seller. I accept only Postal Money Orders or personal checks ( that must clear before goods are shipped).
Old 01-12-2006, 06:26 PM   #33
Rivet Master

1964 26' Overlander
1974 31' Sovereign
Milton , ON
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
I think Craigslist is better because there is no illusion of security like there is on eBay.
The only thing I don't like about Craigslist is that you can only search one "market" at a time. Correct me if I'm wrong.

1965 Avion C-10 Truck Camper (65avion.home.blog)
DavidsonOverlander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:33 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2002 27' Safari
Carmel-by-the-Sea , California
Send a message via AIM to Coastalview Send a message via Yahoo to Coastalview
65GT, let me know if you would like me to pickup and store this fine trailer for you, I'm only 50 minitues from its so called location. I emailed the so called seller again, as to get an actual address in San Jose, and his reply was the same brew ha ha, about two other interested buyers, but would cut me a great deal on the John Gator listed. I wonder where he might have this stored?
Coastalview is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 06:39 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
Buyers and Sellers....

On ebay, buyers and sellers do not keep things in checks and balance. That is originally how feedback was designed to serve. Today, hackers are so sophisticated that responsible businesses have no choice but to stay one step ahead of them. Stop and reflect on what is happening on ebay. Ebay Seller accounts have been compromised on a wide scale basis. Paypal accounts have also been accessed. Ebays' position is to have their members, members who pay around $100.00 a sale (in the case of a travel trailer), police their own accounts. That is irresponsible. A Seller and Buyer should have reasonable protection from fraud. It is not unreasonable to expect your account be safe from hackers. Instead, ebay advises you that it is your fault, that your password needs to be constantly changed to protect you from hackers, etc. If anyone on the Forum has encountered a problem with ebay, it is days before you receive an email reply from the Security Center. Has anyone ever received one of the standard computer generated responses in which ebay compares itself to a newspaper classified ad? What newspaper does not have a contact telephone number for their classified department? What newspaper ad charges $100.00 for a seven day ad if you sell your travel trailer? If you have ever placed a free ad on craigslist, you will notice upon completition of your ad composition that you have to type in a code before your ad is uloaded in a shaded box. That is encription technology to ensure a person and not a computer program is placing the ad. The policing for possible fraud is done with a system of flagging by users to remove spam and scam ads. Postaroo is trying to break into the format in select markets. Why do you think ebay tried to buy out craigslist? Why do you think Postaroo is making such a heavy investment in this format? It is the future. When hurricane Katrina hit, craigslist users gave millions in the first few days and served as the single largest message post for those affected and those who were wanting to help. Craigslist is the future. Check out the homepage. The coverage is international. I may sound like an advertisement for craigslist. I am just a little guy trying not to get screwed.....
Old 01-12-2006, 06:40 PM   #36
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Exclamation

Okay, the last time this was listed, along with the John Deere tractor, and a purse, in seperate ads, I called the people with the WBCCI number. They had sold it over a year ago, and the auction has popped up three times since, all SCAMS.
BTW, here is what you get when you click the link to the auction now:
This listing (#8373069047) has been removed or is no longer available. Please make sure you entered the right item number.
Old 01-12-2006, 06:57 PM   #37
3 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

1950 25' Cruiser
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Lebanon , Ohio
True ebay tales

Tale One - Best friend with a rating of more than 100 in Tucson was selling high end camera gear from his personal collection (professional photographer). Ebay send notices to all his bidders that he was a security risk and suspended the auction pending investigation. Someone had hacked his account. Needless to say all Bidders backed out & he lost $375.00 sale. Ebay advised him to change his password and refused to refund his listing fee or credit his account..... after 17 days.
Tale Two - I reported a 2005 Bambi for sale with no reserve, three day auction, bids at $2500. Auction ran its' course. Listing showed up in ebay search under "Airstream" but when ad came up, no matter where you clicked it led you to a Yahoo email address.
Tale Three - Same friends Paypal (an ebay company) Seller account compromised and emptied.
Old 01-12-2006, 07:03 PM   #38
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
...By the way, when I talked with the WBCCI owner, he said it was listed in October. Maybe he was talking about the 1st fake listing? I was under the impression that HE listed it in October...
__
October was the last time I spoke with them. It had been up for scam auction twice at that time, so that was the last time it was up for scam auction. It also showed it was in Great Britain at that time. that trailer sure does get around a lot...
Old 01-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #39
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by 65GT
I'm on a few other forums, so I'm not sure where I saw this, but someone played a few of these scammers for about a week each. All I remember is that he made them send photos of themselves in certain poses, with cardboard signs in front of themselves so he would know they were real. I think he was referring to them as monkey men or something. I read a good deal of a thread and these guys are just in sweat shops somewhere working on scams all day.

If you find my trailer -- let me know -- I'll call of Ebay security... (all I hear is crickets when I call them -- what's up with that?!)

__
The site is http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com and some of the scam scams are pretty funny.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2006, 03:06 PM   #40
Aluminut

2004 25' Safari
. , Illinois
Heeeee's baaack!

http://cgi.ebay.com/2002-34-Airstrea...QQcmdZViewItem
Silvertwinkie is offline   Reply With Quote