Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-03-2017, 09:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Dometic Extended Warranties

I purchased a new 2017 International 28' Serenity. I registered all vender supplied appliances/equipment. I have received the usual offer from Dometic to purchase an extended warranty on my two A/C units and Refer. I normally don't purchase these things, but 5 years total warranty on each might be worth the money. I would be interested in anyone's opinion on this. Thanks.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 09:57 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
Manassas , Virginia
I received the same thing on our 15. I guess peace of mind is good but I would rather save my money now and just get things fixed if I ever need to. I may think differently if we were full timers.

Either way if the AC or fridge breaks on one of our trips it will be an inconvenience if we have the extended warranty or not so to me it does not matter.

You Tube Channel "Airstream Nerds": https://www.youtube.com/airstreamnerds

Find Us on Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/AirstreamNerd/
AStreamNerds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 10:14 AM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The fridge and air conditioner units are each $1,000 and up.
Read the terms and conditions of the extended warranty carefully, in case, for example, you need to bring the trailer somewhere periodically for checkups to keep the warranty in force.
Old 01-03-2017, 10:19 AM   #4
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Extended warranties are best decided by considering your personal skills and use patterns. Do you exercise your systems regularly by camping frequently or will your unit sit for long periods between uses? Are you capable of testing propane pressures, electrical component functionality, etc., for example and determining perform? Are you intimidated by the thought of failure/repair while on the road? "Do you keep spare parts in your kit, know how to use an electrical meter, etc.,?"; are all part of the equation. Are you a DIYer or do you prefer someone else tackle stuff?

Personally, I have chosen 'no' to extended warranty purchases but I am capable of self-servicing all of my trailer's my systems. My Dometic systems are around fifteen years old (trailer assembly date Oct 02) and still functioning properly. I do bi-annual maintenance which includes cleaning all exterior components and flue of dirt or corrosion. Not surprisingly, this has prevented my having to do more on my appliances since purchase. However, I did upgrade my refrigerator two years ago but that was to obtain a larger capacity rather than driven by a system failure.

Although an extended warranty can provide a comforting thought, actually getting service completed in a timely manner can be hampered by time-of-year as service centers are inundated with seasonal repair patterns.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
I can tell you with certainty that the Dometic extended warranty is DEFINITELY worth the cost.

It is offered and applied by Dometic directly and not a third party.

Any factory authorized Dometic dealer can procure service for you under this warranty.

Your standard Dometic warranty is 2 years parts and labor. The extended warranty offers full parts and labor coverage for years 3 and 4 and parts only for year 5.

Given the high possibilities of A/C failure these days, I highly suggest getting this warranty.

I know that it works as I adjudicated many claims for Dometic when I was doing service work and it is as it appears.

Lew Farber
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2017, 08:56 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2017 28' International
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Thanks all for the great inputs. I am pretty comfortable with most maintenance issues and have the tools to do in depth repairs. I think however I'd rather not have to and will opt to let the pros deal with it if required. I'll do the preventive maintenance to maintain performance and hopefully get many years of great service from my Dometic components.
VaTravelers is offline   Reply With Quote