Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-12-2016, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
kensington , California
Dollars and Sense - Selling the Sovereign

Selling the Sovereign
Hi Airstream folks,
I think I am posting to the correct forum (Dollars and Sense / Trailer Values), but, this is my first post. I really like reading what others have to say since when I started my project of selling our family trailer. Back then I didn't know where to begin, and now I feel like I know less! As of yesterday we have an interested buyer who has made an offer. There have been a few other people asking and looking but I really like this family and I think it will be a deal I can live with for the right reasons.

Today I am seeking advice on how to finalize the transaction and some reassurance about the amount I am considering accepting. The buyer has offered to bring cash, check, or cashier's check to me. I have the clean title, the trailer is insured, the registration is up to date.

Please offer any advice/suggestions/recommendations you have for me. You can reply to my post or send me a message.

Thanks in advance for your help.
All best wishes,
EaglePeakAir in CA
EaglePeakAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:08 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Cash, and do the transaction in your bank. Sign the title over to them there, and deposit the money in your account while you are at it. A bank employee can verify that it is a legitimate transaction, not a drug deal.

Clean, fast, and no problems.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 11:35 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
kensington , California
Thank you for your help!
Old 01-12-2016, 11:37 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1972 27' Overlander
Denver , North Carolina
I second that.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Lucky Dave, Denver NC
mccrosti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2016, 05:03 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
kensington , California
Thank you idroba and mccrosti for your advice to complete the transaction at our bank. I've made an appointment with the bank branch notary and will check in afterward to give an update on the final selling price and how it went.
Old 01-13-2016, 11:25 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I have no problem with the others' recommendations, but as a retired attorney after 35+ years of doing deals, I would go further. Specifically, I would prepare a Bill of Sale (a form of which you should be able to find easily on the Internet) & have both parties sign it & acknowledge their signatures in front of a Notary (ie, have the document signed & Notarized). In the Bill of Sale, among other things, I would recite that you are selling the trailer (fully described) to the buyer in consideration of $X in cash received, that the Buyer has inspected the trailer and had the opportunity to have it inspected professionally, that the Buyer accepts the trailer in its current condition, and that the sale is "As Is - Where Is" without any representations or warranties of any kind except as to title (ie, that you are its true owner and have the legal right to sell it). You don't want the Buyer to come back to you saying something of the sort of "You never told me about xxx, & I want my money back." Perhaps I'm going a little overboard here & selling the trailer as described in others' comments would be OK 99% of the time, but one purpose of lawyers is to reduce their clients' risks, and doing a Bill of Sale should reduce your risk even further.
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:13 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2015 27' FB International
Currently Looking...
mesquite , Texas
best advise anybody could possibly as for & no cost! from mr. r. wills. that's what I like about airstream people.
moxie t. moto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2016, 03:50 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
kensington , California
Thank you Mr. R. Wills! I am planning to do as you recommend and will write up a bill of sale with the following text: "I ___ am selling the 1984 Airstream Sovereign VIN___ to the buyer ____ in consideration of $X in cash received, that the Buyer has inspected the trailer and had the opportunity to have it inspected professionally, that the Buyer accepts the trailer in its current condition, and that the sale is "As Is - Where Is" without any representations or warranties of any kind. I have arranged to have the bank's notary present to notarize our signatures.

I truly appreciate the advice.
All best wishes,
EaglePeakAir in CA
Old 01-13-2016, 04:25 PM   #9
2 Rivet Member

Carrollton , Kentucky
Is that asking too much?

When I bought my Airstream, I was concerned about traveling from KY to MD with a pocket full of cash. Before making the trip, I put the seller in touch with my banker, who assured the seller that if I wrote a check it would be honored. If that had not been acceptable, I would not have made the trip. I wrote the check at his bank for immediate deposit. Seemed like a reasonable approach to me, protecting both of our interests.
MichaelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2016, 07:46 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Do an Internet search for "Vehicle Bill of Sale form" --- I found numbers of them. Then revise it --- add to or subtract from it --- to make it suit your particular needs.
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2016, 06:03 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1965 30' Sovereign
West Allis , Wisconsin
Agree with R Wills. I have sold numerous vehicles with a duplicated hand written form of his suggestion. As is where is, no warranty provided or implied. I'll use the on line doc in the future. Both parties get a copy. Good stuff!
65Streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2016, 09:02 AM   #12
1 Rivet Member

1984 29' Sovereign
kensington , California
Thank you RWills and 65Streamer!
I found a suitable bill of sale online and used that for the transaction.
We met buyer at our bank.
We signed the bill of sale and after releasing the title with a signature, traded title for $.
Deposited the $ in family account (this part took a LONG TIME due to bureaucratic forms for tellers to fill out because of the amount of cash).
Had the bill of sale signatures notarized.
Done.
Bittersweet end of an era for our family, but, I feel confident that the new owner was honest with me about intentions for the trailer. I could be wrong, but, I feel satisfied and glad the transaction went smoothly.

If anyone is selling a comparable 1984 Sovereign, and they are curious about the selling price, let me know and I can give info. I took a little bit less than I asked because the buyers were very civil, pleasant to work with, and I was convinced they had good intentions for our old Airstream.

Thanks again to folks for the good advice and all best wishes,
EaglePeakAir
Old 01-17-2016, 10:54 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Mission , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWills View Post
I have no problem with the others' recommendations, but as a retired attorney after 35+ years of doing deals, I would go further. Specifically, I would prepare a Bill of Sale (a form of which you should be able to find easily on the Internet) & have both parties sign it & acknowledge their signatures in front of a Notary (ie, have the document signed & Notarized). In the Bill of Sale, among other things, I would recite that you are selling the trailer (fully described) to the buyer in consideration of $X in cash received, that the Buyer has inspected the trailer and had the opportunity to have it inspected professionally, that the Buyer accepts the trailer in its current condition, and that the sale is "As Is - Where Is" without any representations or warranties of any kind except as to title (ie, that you are its true owner and have the legal right to sell it). You don't want the Buyer to come back to you saying something of the sort of "You never told me about xxx, & I want my money back." Perhaps I'm going a little overboard here & selling the trailer as described in others' comments would be OK 99% of the time, but one purpose of lawyers is to reduce their clients' risks, and doing a Bill of Sale should reduce your risk even further.

Add to the above a cashiers check made out to you for the agreed amount.
nrgtrakr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 07:33 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

Carrollton , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by EaglePeakAir View Post
Thank you RWills and 65Streamer!

If anyone is selling a comparable 1984 Sovereign, and they are curious about the selling price, let me know and I can give info. I took a little bit less than I asked because the buyers were very civil, pleasant to work with, and I was convinced they had good intentions for our old Airstream.

Thanks again to folks for the good advice and all best wishes,
EaglePeakAir
Not really wanting to sell, but as an owner of a 1984 Sovereign 29, I would be interested in what mine might bring. Everything has a price, so they say.

Thanks in advance!
MichaelS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 08:15 PM   #15
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I did as RWillis advised for paperwork and location with my seller but, rather than cash in hand, did a wire transfer so the possibility of being preemptively relieved of my cash by some unforeseen calamity was mute. It only added $15 to the transaction and can be accomplished in minutes if coordinated before hand. You might suggest the same to your buyer if he is worried about carrying that much.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2016, 10:57 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
An interesting thing on wire transfer. I suggested it to my banker and she told me that it was only safe if she set up a separate temporary account for the money to be sent to. When the transfer came through, she immediately moved the money to my regular account and closed the temporary one. She said there is a way that the sender can revoke the money from where it was sent for a period of time, so she wanted no way for that to happen to me.

I never would have guessed, but she was very adamant that it was the only way to assure that the money could not be pulled back.

I like my bank, they know stuff like that.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sovereign