Old 01-14-2020, 11:06 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
The frustration of buying a big ticket item is shared on both sides of the negotiation. If the buyer is not ready to buy, doesn't know what they want, or the sales person is restricted by his experience or management rules on pricing, this can add to your frustration. Best to get to the sales manager with some knowledge on what you want and what you are willing to pay. Being "upset" or negative about a business discussion on pricing doesn't help anyone. Be smart; do your homework, and be prepared to walk away if your not happy. I have found it never hurts to follow up on an offer of a good price...makes me a bit "smarter" for the next encounter...

Last 2 "new" AS's were purchased out of state, over the phone...visited several dealerships, knew what I wanted, found the units at the out of state dealerships, called the dealership, worked with the sales reps, tested the pricing and discount limit. When I was happy, put money down over the phone and made arrangements to take delivery...last one drove from TX to Portland to get my currant rig. Time before I drove from San Diego to outside Reno to take delivery of unit I purchased in CA but needed out of state delivery to register in MT... To me, doing it all over the phone is great.

Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 12:44 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

1972 25' Tradewind
1976 31' Excella 500
Denver , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtbeard View Post
But to say Airstream (notice they say manufacturer not Airstream) won't let them is highly suspicious. And as rmkrum said, if they are that blatant on their website, I'm likely crossing them off the list of consideration.
Well... it is as others have said, and what I was suggesting with the Best Buy parallel. An "official" Airstream dealer is prohibited by Airstream to advertise a new trailer for less than MSRP. They can *sell* it for less, but they can't *advertise* it for less (though they aren't likely to offer much discount off a brand new model anyway).

With a used model, Airstream can't dictate a price, so those trailers they can list for whatever they please.

But I will still adhere to my original advice... be suspicious of things on the internet, and protect yourself with anonymity... don't be quick to give up your information just because a dealer (reputable or not) asks for it.

kidjedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 11:58 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Austin (winter) Lincoln MT (summer) , Texas & Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post
Well... it is as others have said, and what I was suggesting with the Best Buy parallel. An "official" Airstream dealer is prohibited by Airstream to advertise a new trailer for less than MSRP. They can *sell* it for less, but they can't *advertise* it for less (though they aren't likely to offer much discount off a brand new model anyway).

With a used model, Airstream can't dictate a price, so those trailers they can list for whatever they please.

But I will still adhere to my original advice... be suspicious of things on the internet, and protect yourself with anonymity... don't be quick to give up your information just because a dealer (reputable or not) asks for it.
I see Colonial and other dealers have "new" 2019 models with discount pricing listed. Last year when I was considering moving up to a "new" 30' Classic, I was able to get the 22% discount I wanted on new model 30" Classic last year, even when requesting color interior/counter tops with a dealer in CA I was working with over the phone...FYI- just takes a little effort to make the call...but, if your not wanting to do the work...I understand. We did not pull the trigger on that deal....yet. this listing below is from a dealer on their website today...

**$74,716.00**

Condition : New

MSRP : $92,459.00

Our Price : $77,995.00SALE

Stock# 12178

VIN # : 548463

Year : 2019
Summer in Lincoln, MT- Winter in Austin, TX
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 02:24 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

Northeast , Ohio
I suppose it's possible that
"...but our manufacturers do not allow us to advertise our discounted prices online because they are too low."
is because Airstream doesn't want them advertising below MSRP. But I thought I've seen others doing it.

Regardless, I'm negotiating with a dealership to order a 2020 model made to my specs for delivery in March. They are offering 20% off MSRP which seems pretty good from what I've seen around here.
Dirtbeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:00 PM   #25
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' International
Roges , Arkansas
MAP Pricing

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post

Some manufacturers do enforce their MAP (Minimum Advertised Price) by pulling a dealers Advertising allowance if they go below MAP. I do not know if AS does or does not do this but some do. I recently purchased a 2019 and got 28% off MSRP. Which I have not seen advertised.
As someone else suggested, "make a phone call" and start a dialogue with a couple dealers. If you're serious let them know you will put down a C.C. deposit today. Have your price and be ready to say yes or just say goodbye.
Mikebrady62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2020, 12:31 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

1978 31' Sovereign
Green Valley Lake , California
its an insidious list building technique. But the manufacturer prohibition always sounds suspect to me.
OK if you want to be on someone's call list. You will also be on a list they can sell...

If you're really interested, call or pay them a visit, to avoid spammy emails and phone calls.
I really value my privacy. I have a p.o. box and a VoiceMail number (since 1988!) that I give to strangers.
That way I can satisfy their "value proposition" by giving contact info in exchange for the info that I seek.
That's web marketing, almost as bad as filling out a form for a contest.

SouthForkAS is offline   Reply With Quote