Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-08-2013, 03:03 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

2008 22' Safari
2000 27' Safari
Asheville , North Carolina
Exclamation Craig's list scams

There has to be a special place in hell reserved for people that would impersonate being in the Armed Services to run a scam.
The Craigslist ads tend to have very little detail, but show an Airstream at a very good price.
Here's how the email exchange goes once you write to express interest...

Hi again,

Right now I am at the military base getting ready for Afghanistan. This means that I am doing a special training and I am not allowed to get out of the unit. The trailer is already at the shipping company sealed and ready for the shipping. My presence won't be necessary because I prearranged the deal with eBay. The deal includes free delivery and it will arrive at your address in 3 days. You will have 5 days to test it and inspect the trailer and if by any reason you find something you don't like about it you can send it back at my expense.
If you are interested in starting the procedure, I'll forward your information to eBay and they'll send you an invoice with all the information that you need to complete this deal and you will also have proof that I am covered by them and a legitimate seller.
If you would like to receive the email from eBay with the invoice with all the transaction information please reply with your full name,full address and ph# and they will contact you.If you have any questions please feel free to ask.

Thank you!
Maj.

On Aug 8, 2013, at 6:14 AM, Emily L wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Thank you for your interest in my trailer. This is a 1997 Airstream Safari Classic.
> Clear title, no lien, never been involved in an accident. Runs and drives excellent. It has been extremely well maintained with a full service history, Length (feet): 25.
>
> It has no leaks or drips and does not smoke at all, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions with a clear title free of encumbrances and liens.
>
> I have dropped my price to $2,150 (purchase price) since this is an Urgent Sale! and I need to sell it before August 25, when I will be deployed in Afghanistan with my platoon replacing the troops scheduled to come home. If you are really interested,please e-mail me back.
>
> Hope to hear from you soon!
> Maj. Emily L
>
>
Hi,

I want to be honest with you, the Airstream is in excellent condition and looks perfect. It has been well cared for and needs nothing. The length of the 2002 Bambi Airstream is 16 feet and sleeps 3 persons in it. I have dropped my price to $1,928 (purchase price) since this is an Urgent Sale! I need to sell it before 25th of August when I will be deployed to a US Forces Japan ( http://www.usfj.mil ) base for an entire year.
I decided that the financial part will be managed by eBay, which means you will have a 7 days inspection period before committing to buy the trailer. This way both of us will be 100% covered during transaction. If you're interested to proceed email me your Complete Name and Shipping Address to open a case.They will contact you to explain the entire procedure.

Hope to hear from you soon,
Sergeant nurse Carla W

...see a pattern here?
Stay safe out there!
Suzanne
Suzmsw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2013, 08:17 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 30' International
Vintage Kin Owner
Bad Axe , Michigan
An oldie, but not so goodie. I have seen this before.
1977 31' International Sovereign - sold
2012 Ford F250 Superduty Crewcab

WBCCI# 1007 Air#2158
dkrug is offline   Reply With Quote