Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-05-2016, 10:16 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Cost to Replace Microwave with Propane Oven

We have a 2011 25FB Flying Cloud. We bought it used and it came with the convection microwave instead of the propane oven. Since I cook a lot and we are almost never hooked up to power, I would much prefer the propane oven so I could bake while we are traveling. Has anyone had a dealer replace the convection microwave with a propane oven and if so, how much did it cost? The dealer we bought our Airstream from said the cost might be $1200 just for the oven (not including the labor) but I never got a detailed quote because that amount seemed a little crazy to me. I am hoping others have been able to find a less expensive option and might have some suggestions.

Thanks!
TwoSporks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:44 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Not a perfect answer but I'll throw this out there. For about half the cost you could buy a Big Green Egg MiniMax outdoor cooker, somewhat portable, and have a much, much better oven and overall cooker than anything propane. Doesn't heat up your Airstream in summer months either.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 10:56 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Southwestern Ontario , Ontario Canada
Send a message via MSN to TRIPPPIN Send a message via Yahoo to TRIPPPIN
My Airstream dealer CanAm Rv replaced the propane oven with a microwave before delivery on my unit a 2012 25fb EB a few years ago. If he still has it in stock you may get a deal on a never used oven and you may already have the propane connections so install should be easy. Call Martin at Canam RV London Ontario.
TRIPPPIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2016, 11:20 AM   #4
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
We have a 2011 25FB Flying Cloud. We bought it used and it came with the convection microwave instead of the propane oven. Since I cook a lot and we are almost never hooked up to power, I would much prefer the propane oven so I could bake while we are traveling.
All propane connections, except the final connection to the appliance itself, are required by NFPA 1192, the RV Standard, to be made outside the living spaces, i.e. under the trailer. So you've got to drill a belly pan penetration and a floor penetration to run the (copper) propane line up to where the oven will be located and there can be no joints in the line above the belly pan, except that final connection to the oven. Chances are that's not already done. Making the swap in the other direction, taking out an oven and installing a microwave, is much easier because removing an existing propane line is easier than retrofitting one.
Old 04-06-2016, 01:09 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
We also ended up with the convection/microwave, and wanted to change it to a conventional LP oven/cooktop.

To change out the cooktop and convention/microwave requires that the existing cooktop be removed, and the cabinet front that surrounds the convection/microwave be removed. This is very simple. A few screws to remove the microwave, a few screws to remove the cabinet face that surrounds the microwave, disconnect the LP gas feed to the cooktop, and a few screws to remove the cooktop.

Our Dealer ordered the different cabinet face from Airstream(actually 1 face piece and a 2 internal cleats.) The three pieces were shipped directly from Airstream to me for $159.00. (You can actually get the part numbers on-line by googling "airstream Parts Flying Cloud" and find your year. Ours is a 2013FC, but I have looked through the parts lists for other years, not 100% sure there is a 2011 on line) But your dealer need to order it for you.

The combo cooktop/gas oven for our 2013 25FBFC Airstream was specified as an Atwood 2135 by Airstream Customer Service. A NEW Atwood 2135 on Ebay is about $500 including freight. Airstream Customer Service can tell you which cooktop/Oven combo you need if you e-mail them with your VIN number.

The gas line for the existing cooktop actually just re-attaches to the back of the Atwood 2135 combo with no modifications.

The total cost to covert is about $660 for us, with me dong the labor.

Hope this is useful...

AL
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 04:18 AM   #6
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaier7771 View Post
We also ended up with the convection/microwave, and wanted to change it to a conventional LP oven/cooktop.

To change out the cooktop and convention/microwave requires that the existing cooktop be removed, and the cabinet front that surrounds the convection/microwave be removed. This is very simple. A few screws to remove the microwave, a few screws to remove the cabinet face that surrounds the microwave, disconnect the LP gas feed to the cooktop, and a few screws to remove the cooktop.

The gas line for the existing cooktop actually just re-attaches to the back of the Atwood 2135 combo with no modifications.
The OP didn't say anything about replacing the microwave AND stove. That definitely is a better option, safety-wise.
Old 04-07-2016, 04:52 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
My oven & stovetop cost about $600 after shipping. Hubby installed so I can see a dealer charging around a $1K especially if the fit it & add gas lines.
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 05:40 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSporks View Post
We have a 2011 25FB Flying Cloud. We bought it used and it came with the convection microwave instead of the propane oven. Since I cook a lot and we are almost never hooked up to power, I would much prefer the propane oven so I could bake while we are traveling. Has anyone had a dealer replace the convection microwave with a propane oven and if so, how much did it cost? The dealer we bought our Airstream from said the cost might be $1200 just for the oven (not including the labor) but I never got a detailed quote because that amount seemed a little crazy to me. I am hoping others have been able to find a less expensive option and might have some suggestions.

Thanks!
Good morning Sarah. Welcome to the forum!

We shopped (and waited) for a used Flying Cloud 20' for exactly this reason -- had to have the propane oven, not the convection oven microwave. When the right unit popped up, it was the prior model year new -- on sale. Got it!

The $1200 price seems reasonable from a dealer, with the plus that the work should be guaranteed for a year to two. Maybe think of it like this? If you had been very clear that you wanted only the gas oven model, and two identical used trailers were next to each other, would you have paid $1200 more for the one with the oven you wanted?

Guessing the answer is yes!

So in a sense you are paying for your own impatience in this case?

Happy Trails!

Peter

OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 07:29 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
The OP didn't say anything about replacing the microwave AND stove. That definitely is a better option, safety-wise.
protagonist, I am not aware of an option in which a separate gas oven that would fit under a cooktop? Both the cooktop only version, and combo versions drop-in the same counter cutout, just a different cabinet face plate. The installation manual that came with the Atwood cooktop covered both the cooktop only version and the combo unit.

Do you have a mfg/model for a gas oven only for an RV trailer?

Thanks
amaier7771 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 08:15 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by amaier7771 View Post
....snip...

Do you have a mfg/model for a gas oven only for an RV trailer?

Thanks
One of the early 1970's Excella trailers I owned had separate counter top range and separate oven, both propane. The oven was mounted in a box that hung thru the wall over the twin bed. That was a head banger for sure, and hot .....
A W Warn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:09 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
propane oven

I did it myself. I removed the range top and microwave from our Flying Cloud 30. I moved the drawers that were under the range top over to where the microwave was. I added a third drawer, which I made. The drawer front and handle cost about $75 from Airstream. I bought a Princess propane oven the three top burners from a high end marine supply store, Defender Marine, in Waterford, Connecticut. It fit the opening perfectly. I plugged in the electric cord and screwed on the propane supply hose that went to the top burners of the old setup. I did use a little bit of the extra wood from the drawer front to trim out the installation. The stove was not cheap, probably around $1200 and it took me about a half of a day to do the install. My wife says it is head and shoulders better for cooking that the microwave and the cheap range top that came with the trailer. I am a hobbyist woodworker, not a pro, and it was easy.
dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 09:23 AM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2011 30' Flying Cloud
North Falmouth , Massachusetts
propane stove pics

I have attched two jpegs of the propane stove install. Not sure I did the upload correctly.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5926.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	289.8 KB
ID:	260146   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_5927.jpg
Views:	533
Size:	308.3 KB
ID:	260147  

dick&claire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 11:09 AM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Thank you!

Hi All -

Thank you for all the very helpful responses. To clarify, I want to replace the microwave AND cooktop for a single unit that includes a propane oven and cooktop. From the few examples given above, it sounds like a pretty straightforward process for a handy person. With some help from my dad, it sounds like we might be able to tackle the removal and installation ourselves since we can use the existing propane connection.

Peter, yes, I probably would have paid $1200 more for the trailer we wanted but after more than six months of shopping/waiting for the perfect trailer appear (it never did!), we were happy to take this one minus the oven. And, the dealer we went through was horrible so the idea of paying them $1200 for anything was probably more of a mental barrier than the actual $1200 for the oven itself.

And, the Big Green Egg thing looks pretty interesting as well (but probably too time-consuming for using on a daily basis given our schedules when traveling). Maybe a replacement for our small Weber grill?

Thank you for all the ideas and leads. I appreciate the help!
Old 04-07-2016, 11:51 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Camp Stove with Oven

I understand your preference for an oven, but I'm pretty happy with the Convection Microwave (Once I got the cheat sheet from Airforums on how to use it!) Of course if you're without hookups or a generator - duh!

I never hung out at camping stores until after I'd gotten my Airstream - and my sister was the one who introduced me to a camp oven - it's like the old two burner camping stove with a real honest to Pete oven underneath it. Simple, portable, inexpensive and every bit as effective for baking as a home gas oven.
And of course built to be used outdoors in the summer. Boy trying to bake inside in the summer was a pain until I got my Dutch Oven - but really most of the time, I just stifle the impulse to make biscuits or sticky buns or a big ham.

So you might want to take a peek at a camp oven (about $250) before you decide to eliminate the microwave. There is a downside of hauling it around, but... One size does NOT fit all.

Paula
Old 04-07-2016, 12:10 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Thanks Sarah, your aversion to the dealer is perfectly understandable! Good luck with the new stove/cooktop/oven installation. We couldn't live without it. In chilly weather, it also heats the interior nicely, an important side benefit which conserves propane.

Also -- nice blogs by you and Ron!

Happy Trails,

Peter

PS -- Dick and Claire -- nice job!
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2016, 03:16 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
2017 28' Tommy Bahama
Penticton , British Columbia
Microwave Replacement

I have a Propane Stovetop/Oven just removed from our 2013FC
Used little over the past two seasons. $450 plus shipping from Spokane
TorchRozee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2016, 03:21 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
SW , Colorado
Paula - Thanks so much for the ideas. We have had our Airstream for 18 months and have lived out of it for nine of those months so I am sure that I want the propane oven. While I have had good luck baking and cooking with the convection oven, we are hooked up to power about 5% of the time so I need something that works when we only have our solar and batteries. I could also look into a camp oven but really want something that is just set up and ready to go, hence the built-in propane oven. Regardless, I appreciate the input.

Peter, thanks for the kind comments on our blogs. Much appreciated!

TorchRozee - thanks for the offer but I think we are going to look for a higher-end replacement. If that doesn't pan out, I might be in touch!

Again, thank you to everyone for the feedback and help. We appreciate it!