Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-27-2015, 08:51 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Parnell , Iowa
Colonial Airstream NJ

We are new to this forum although I have been gathering information for the last year. We just got back from a two week trip in our 2008 19' Bambi and enjoyed it immensely. All the way from electrical hookup to no water, electricity or cell phone service. The one thing we learned is we would like just a little more room. I found a trailer we may be interested in on the internet at Colonial Airstream. Has anyone dealt with them? We were also wondering if it would be better to trade or sell privately? I have enjoyed this site and all the information that can be gleaned. The Bambi has a much quieter water pump and LED lights thanks to this site.
Ste and Bre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:10 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1979 23' Safari
Wayland , New York
I've only bought parts there and talked to service for some advice. Also had Patrick(?I think sales guys name).
From that excellent in my book.

Think you'll get lots of positive responses from others.
HiJoeSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 09:51 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . I had a friend who bought from them recently and said it was a bit of a zoo. Too busy to be attentive, oh you already have an AS, so we don't have to show you anything. . . a little disappointing, eh ? They sell a LOT of ASs. . . .just sayin, Craig
Old 09-27-2015, 10:00 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Hello,
We visited Colonial Airstream twice prior to purchasing our 2014 FC 20' last year.
Excellent dealership, huge inventory, excellent professional AS sales team/service/technical staff! Since we did not own a unit prior to purchase....cannot offer info here. Patrick Bocelli was super during our "shopping phase" and throughout the purchase and pickup. Our purchase experience was hands down and exceptional experience. The staff continue to impress us the past 18 months dealing with minor repairs, parts, etc.
FCloud9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 11:00 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
They are careful to show their units honestly. You'll lose money trading in one year regardless of whether you sell privately or to Colonial. Which is more important a few hundred dollars or the time it will take to sell a unit IN THE FALL?

They know that brand unlike most other shops.
Old 09-28-2015, 01:35 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
I have mixed reactions -- before I bought my used 28W from a private seller in North Carolina, I made a scheduled appointment and drove up to Colonial in the autumn to discuss their used and new inventories. When after looking at a couple of new 28W and 23Ds, their saleswoman started a conversation around financing. When I indicated I had not yet crossed that hurdle and was planning to go with my bank when I did, she became a bit cold, lost an appetite to continue to show any units and within five minutes had stepped aside to give her full attention to a walk-on retirement-aged couple. Asking if there was any other support staff to assist with my questions, I received back a response that I needed to make another appointment...

I cannot (yet) comment on their technical or support staff; but having their sales staff leave me hanging halfway through a pre-scheduled appointment gave me a somewhat sour stomach given the drive I took from DC to be there.

Ian
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 05:49 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
In my opinion you will NOT make a mistake dealing with Colonial. We purchased our first AS from them a used 25' and we did so on line. Not like me at all I agreed to the purchase, sent a deposit etc and went down to pick it up. They were very upfront and honest to the point of showing us in pictures a very small dent on the roof line I would not have found for months. The service team spent two hours with us and then asked "are you sure you've got it" before we left.

Good inventory, good prices and fair. This most recent unit we now have we tried to deal with them but they very upfront told us they did not want our trade, a 37' Motor Home and to try and get it back to the selling dealer. We did and this too worked out. You can in my opinion feel very confident dealing with either Lauren or Patrick in sales.

Good luck.
Volunteer K9 Rehabilitator & Trainer
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
We've purchased two Airstreams from Colonial and have been happy both times.

The first time we were initially looking at another brand that they sell but when we saw the Airstreams we started looking at them. So we went through a lot of their units that day. And because we looked at class C and trailers, I don't think we were pegged as hot prospects who were ready to buy today. We clearly hadn't made up our minds.

We started to get apologetic about the number of times we asked Lauren to get another set of keys so we could look inside another one. She happily did it every time. Yes, she excused herself and walked away from us, but that was to give us unpressured time to look things over and just sit in the unit to get a feel for it. Then I'd go ask her to open another one.

Another time we brought friends there who were thinking of buying their first trailer, we had the same experience.

When we went back to buy our second Airstream, we pretty much knew what we wanted and were given the same time to check out our final choices. And this was after we said we hoped to buy a used one- and they didn't have one we wanted in stock. So again, we weren't buying that day, but were given all the time and attention we wanted.
Old 09-28-2015, 06:37 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
FREDERICK , Maryland
I purchased an Airstream from Colonial AND have had service/warranty work done there as well. I would not hesitate to return to them in the future. Very professional and helpful.
Doc Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 06:44 AM   #10
1 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bossier City , Louisiana
My wife recently contacted Colonial to gather some information on a 2007 Safari 19 ft. LS that we were considering purchasing from a private owner who had purchased the Bambi from Colonial 12 months ago. She said they were very professional and were happy to give her the information we were seeking. She was also advised that if we wanted to trade the Bambi in, they would give us our full purchase price in trade for a new Airstream if we decided to upgrade.
boogar41 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
We have bought two Airstreams from Colonial, both sight unseen, just based on the photos and conversation with the staff. We where happy with both, and will buy from them again.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
If you sell the 19 yourself you should get a higher price but its also worth seeing what they would give you on a trade. Trouble is Colonial is in NJ and you are in Iowa so I'm not sure they could give you a fair estimate even if you supplied them with photos. They would want to see it first hand.

Airstreams that are in good condition seem to sell quickly and your year and model should be at a price point that is pretty attractive to potential AS buyers.

When we switched to our Airstream in 2013 I thought about trading in our 2009 Casita figuring they would be popular enough for a dealer to take in trade. Their offer was $4 less than what we got it for when we sold it privately and the buyer drove from another state to purchase it.

Kelvin
Old 09-28-2015, 07:48 AM   #13
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
Some people may complain about Colonial from time to time. And I'm sure Patrick or Lauren have their bad days. But if you talk to enough people you will see that Colonial is one of the best dealers in the country, if not the best. Period.

We bought our first trailer there and the whole experience was extremely positive. When a used trailer we wanted came up in Florida we went to a dealer down there to buy it. We bought the trailer, but there was a night and day difference between the treatment.
Old 09-28-2015, 11:24 AM   #14
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
I bought my 2014FC 25 and my 2015 Classic from Colonial. Drive from Colorado to NJ was worth it. Patrick and Loren are straight shooters, no BS. Service is excellent. If you have a trade see what they offer and then list it on the forum classifieds. I sold my FC25 in about 3 weeks on the forums. Advantage to a trade in is that in most states the value of the trade will offset the payment of sales tax on the new one. Factor that into your decisions and a trade might not hurt quite as much.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 01:36 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

2017 27' Flying Cloud
Goode , Virginia
We bought our 2014 FC 23FB from Colonial in June via email and phone with Patrick. They had the best price anywhere on the east coast and Patrick was informative and professional. The day we picked it up everyone did an excellent job of making sure we fully understood everything about our AS. We had one issue that we thought was fixed before we left the lot only to find the problem was not fixed correctly. After two nights at Jersey Shores AS Park we found several other issues and had to return to Colonia before heading home to VA. This is when we had some issued with the service. Not sure if the service department was having a bad day or we just fell through the cracks. What should have taken no more that 2 hours took all day. Once the owner realized we were there for repairs after only having the unit for 3 days, everything has resolve quickly to get us on our way home. He is a nice guy and takes costumer satisfaction seriously. Would I buy from them again or recommend them to a friend, YES. Other dealers we tried to buy an AS from didn't even give us the time of day.
SMLJeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 02:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2017 28' Flying Cloud
2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
2008 25' Safari FB SE
Georgetown (winter)Thayne (summer) , Texas & Wyoming
I have had 3 25' AS over the past 6 years. Although I did not buy from Colonial, if I lived closer, I certainly would give them a try. I have called them with questions regarding AS's, for information purposes, pricing questions, and issues with my AS unit's. Patrick and staff have been extremely helpful, even though I had not purchased from them. Heck, even returning phone calls on questions regarding a price I had on a used unit few years back! I even had their service department "overnight a" window which I broke while in MT a couple years ago! As many have said, they are a good class act. Remember, there are many dealers out there....and I would not judge the dealer by actions of one sales or service person on a single visit, unless it was a common occurrence. Everyone has experienced poor service or support at one time or another. Very good intentions from Patrick and his team!
gypsydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Parnell , Iowa
Thanks for all the replies. I think I will give them a call and just see what happens. Long ways away but if the price happens to be right.
Ste and Bre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2015, 06:53 AM   #18

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
What was the outcome? If we were going to upgrade from our Bambi I'd sell it privately then look for a larger unit. 16' and 19' Airstreams hold their value pretty good and they sell FAST due to the size. I'd try selling it first then the trip would be a one way haul.
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 04:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ste and Bre View Post
We are new to this forum although I have been gathering information for the last year. We just got back from a two week trip in our 2008 19' Bambi and enjoyed it immensely. All the way from electrical hookup to no water, electricity or cell phone service. The one thing we learned is we would like just a little more room. I found a trailer we may be interested in on the internet at Colonial Airstream. Has anyone dealt with them? We were also wondering if it would be better to trade or sell privately? I have enjoyed this site and all the information that can be gleaned. The Bambi has a much quieter water pump and LED lights thanks to this site.
Curious to know if you went ahead with the purchase at Colonial?

Thanks
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 05:13 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Western MA , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FCloud9 View Post
Hello,
We visited Colonial Airstream twice prior to purchasing our 2014 FC 20' last year.
Excellent dealership, huge inventory, excellent professional AS sales team/service/technical staff! Since we did not own a unit prior to purchase....cannot offer info here. Patrick Bocelli was super during our "shopping phase" and throughout the purchase and pickup. Our purchase experience was hands down and exceptional experience. The staff continue to impress us the past 18 months dealing with minor repairs, parts, etc.
This is the same exact experience we had in purchasing our new 20fc. Super sales service - not high pressure at all. And they continue to provide outstanding service and support.
We had two failed attempts buying privately and finally went to Colonial to "look". We couldn't be happier with our purchase and their outstanding support.
If we decide to get a different unit - we will be looking to trade in at Colonial.
Also - the four trips there, we never felt it was a zoo. They have their act together.
Wild Child is offline   Reply With Quote