Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-14-2013, 07:27 PM   #41
Vintage Kin

Fort Worth , Texas
The DODGE DUrango, the new version, has a longer wheelbase than the Grand Cherokee with otherwise most of the same underpinnings. Another good choice along with the Expedition EL.
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:17 AM   #42
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
Central , Connecticut
One more thing to think about. If you're going to a gas-powered heavy duty truck, you will (usually) get a bigger engine than the 1/2-ton equivalent. But consider that you're pulling around another 1,500 pounds of truck, even before hitching up the trailer. So if performance is the deciding factor, it might be a more even match than you'd think. (Of course, going diesel would provide another big heaping of torque, but adds $$$.)

Consider also that Airstreams2Go, the new rental outfit in Las Vegas and LA, is using Yukon Denalis to tow 23' and 28' rental trailers. I'm sure that decision has been thought through very carefully, given they'll be driven by new-to-RVing renters...

Tom
Old 06-15-2013, 08:04 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
man, im looking for new TV and TT for winter this year...this TV topic is dizzying!! Ive read a ton of threads on it....

PharmGeek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 08:24 AM   #44
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Ah yes, one of the most contentious topics out there next to hitches and running with your refrigerator on. I think research is important but when you get to the point where you have narrowed your choice down try to find people who actually pull with the TV you are looking at.

I have a Tundra and find it interesting when posters tell everyone how this is the wrong truck for pulling a 25 or larger trailer. Hey, have they ever actually done it?....No. Information is a great thing but too much information can slow you down if you let it.
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:24 AM   #45
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
PharmGeek, wait on the truck until you have absolutely and finally have the Airstream. Then match the tow vehicle to it. Use a Hensley or ProPride hitch to hook it up and you have an ultimate combination for towing.

The only agreement on tow vehicles you could ever see here is that the individual poster's truck/van/suv is best, and anybody else's is deficient and dangerous.

doug k
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 11:50 AM   #46
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
PharmGeek, wait on the truck until you have absolutely and finally have the Airstream. Then match the tow vehicle to it. Use a Hensley or ProPride hitch to hook it up and you have an ultimate combination for towing.

The only agreement on tow vehicles you could ever see here is that the individual poster's truck/van/suv is best, and anybody else's is deficient and dangerous.

doug k

I've always been deficient, just now getting dangerous.

Bob
Old 06-15-2013, 11:52 AM   #47
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
I've always been deficient, just now getting dangerous.

Bob
We agree Bob. Oops, I mean me too.

doug
Old 06-15-2013, 03:08 PM   #48
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
this may be a stupid question...but how the heck can I wait on my TV until after I get the TT? Seems like I need something to pull it with before purchasing it

I know I am being literal, but seriously.

Sorta good news, is that my wife and I seem to be increasingly agreeing that we may buy new and special order...we will know in July perhaps...in that case, I can just buy my TV closer to when I plan on actually getting the TT in or purchasing it off lot...

If the 28' model that we *think* we want (flying cloud) has only 1 AC unit, it may mean we will just do a special order from factory instead...I live in AL and plan on summer camping. (that is another topic, sorry).

I am so far liking the Tundra on looks, and I already have Toyota so a bit of brand loyalty there...but I have not ruled on 3/4 ton diesel....folks I know that have the diesels say they pull so very nice....then again, folks that have say the tundra say its great....lol...

Im just going to make sure it comfortably can pull the expected load, can handle the weight, then make sure I like the truck itself, etc...then pull the trigger...I dont know....guess Ill figure it out.

if all else fails, I will get this "andy T" fella to hook up my mini-van to pull it with...*ducking and running*

Old 06-15-2013, 03:11 PM   #49
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by aftermath View Post
Ah yes, one of the most contentious topics out there next to hitches and running with your refrigerator on. I think research is important but when you get to the point where you have narrowed your choice down try to find people who actually pull with the TV you are looking at.

I have a Tundra and find it interesting when posters tell everyone how this is the wrong truck for pulling a 25 or larger trailer. Hey, have they ever actually done it?....No. Information is a great thing but too much information can slow you down if you let it.
I think the Tundra will likely do the job for the 28' (if we go that route)...the numbers seem to work....not entirely sure about payload still expected...I think it will be fine...im liking a nice color to contrast with the airstream...like blue or red...color is critical

Old 06-15-2013, 05:05 PM   #50
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
You already know what I think. If a Tundra will pull a 30 it will pull a 28.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 05:46 PM   #51
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
The V-8 Tundra is a nice truck...though it pains me to admit it....as a Mopar fanatic and very avid RAM Cummins aficionado... You'd be just fine with it.

Of course, a RAM 2500 CTD would be better

Just jokin' with ya man. You get you a 380hp Tundra and you'll be fine. You'll be doing burnouts at the stoplights. Wally will be grinning at you from his cloud

I still think a Charger R/T with the right setup and a 470hp HEMI would be sweet! I wonder if I could put a hitch on my '70 Charger and pull the 34 footer....one of the "Silver Trailer" books I have shows a '65 Plymouth Sport Fury (I have one) pulling an Airstream and it's a sweet rig. Muscle cars will always rule.
Old 06-15-2013, 05:49 PM   #52
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
m.hony...you said your setup over 55 drink the gas....what mpg do you get at say 60...or 65...or even 70?

Thanks, sorry, just a quick question, not to hijack

Old 06-15-2013, 06:17 PM   #53
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
10-12 mpg at 55 mph. 7 at 70-75. I have never tried towing the Airstream that fast. I did my calculations with our previous SOB white box trailer. I just don't care to go very fast because of the hit to the wallet and I think maybe a little slower is a little safer. My wife and our traveling buddies are ok with it. I have read that the Wally Byam caravans travel at 55 mph.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 06-16-2013, 08:53 PM   #54
4 Rivet Member

1995 34' Excella
Corinth , Mississippi
I prefer diesels and probably will always have at least one. The newer ones with the exhaust brake are very great, when in the mountains or big hills they save almost all of the trailer brake use, and thus wear. The high torque is a plus when pulling hills and mountains. Some of us are just partial to diesels. I don't think you would get a bad engine with a Duramax (GM), Cummins, or Ford. I liked the looks of the Ford as well as the interior package, but each to his own. I am sure the Tundra would do a good job for I have seen one pulling a 34 ftr at Interstate speeds and seemingly no problems.
TAC # MS-8
Hodum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 09:57 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We have a gas truck but I like diesels too, one in our VW Jetta gets about 45 mpg and never bogs down. But the truck diesel options are near twice the power needed to easily pull an Airstream. That's about to change

2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel V6 | Diesel Pickup Truck | Ram Trucks

doug k
Old 06-16-2013, 10:00 PM   #56
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
If you decide to CPO and a diesel, do some simple math to figure what type of life it has had. Diesels usually have a gauge with total engine run hours. Divide total mileage by engine hours. If the result is over 32 you have a truck that has spent most of its life running highway miles which means little engine, brake, and transmission wear. Under 30, and its has been a city vehicle with lots of stop and go, (or lots of idling time?). Be suspicious of the 30 and under, but pretty looking units.

I've driven around 200,000 miles in trucks during my life, mostly heavily loaded or towing (CDL). Experience has taught me to never run in the marginal load zone towing as Murphy's Law will be validated when least expected.

I prefer diesel over a gasser for any terrain with grade or elevation. For me, a Jake brake is mandatory for mountains. I have hauled my 28' over the Beartooth and most other notable Western roadways in search of peaks and a Jake brake on down hill runs is a pleasure you have to experience to really "get it."

My current TV is a 2011 Ram 2500HD 4x4 and it suits me just fine while getting ~13mpg towing at 65mph and 17mpg standalone.
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2013, 10:57 PM   #57
Rivet Master

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Hoover , Alabama
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkottum View Post
We have a gas truck but I like diesels too, one in our VW Jetta gets about 45 mpg and never bogs down. But the truck diesel options are near twice the power needed to easily pull an Airstream. That's about to change

2014 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel V6 | Diesel Pickup Truck | Ram Trucks

doug k
I am captivated by this

I am currently in the market.

I also own a VW TDI jetta wagon...has 3 payments left on it (at which time I have the go to purchase our TT and TV.

We also bought a honda minivan last year and I remember thinking "darn it, why not have a diesel in this and get me 25-35mpg's?!"

Old 06-17-2013, 04:34 AM   #58
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
So...in October you will be getting your Airstream and Tundra. I bought my Tundra in October 2008 and I bought my Airstream in October 2012.
TAC #MS-10
Airforums #70955
Old 12-15-2013, 12:15 PM   #59
1 Rivet Member

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Edgewood , New Mexico
Thumbs up TV is a Ram Cummins

I tow a 25' FB FC with a 2012 Ram Mega Cab 2500 6.7L Cummins diesel 4x4 Laramie. It tows much better (especially throughout the Rocky Mountains) than my previous 2002 GMC Denali 6.0L Quadrasteer gas P/U. Going up and down the passes is now seamless with the diesel and it's exhaust brake. The Denali 6.0L gas engine was as little stressed going up the higher passes even with its 4.10 gearing.
However, in the Winter one needs to use anti-gel fluid in the diesel fuel in temps below 20F to ensure a reliable running diesel engine.
High Cloud is offline   Reply With Quote