Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-17-2005, 04:10 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Canned hams?

I am following up on a local ad for a 1960 Airstream Camper, 14'. Sounds funny to me. First of all, I was unaware of anything this small in the year 1960. When I called, the owner said it was the canned ham shape, that nothing on the trailer said Airstream, but that when he had the VIN number checked at a local RV dealer, he was told it was an Airsteam made camper. ?? Claims it is leak free and in excellent condition. Now I am hooked by curiosity, so I'm sure to go look at it, but thought I'd check here on the way. Does any of this make sense to someone on the forum, or am I just dealing with an owner who calls anything aluminum an Airstream?
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:21 PM   #2
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by maxandgeorgia
I am following up on a local ad for a 1960 Airstream Camper, 14'. Sounds funny to me. First of all, I was unaware of anything this small in the year 1960. When I called, the owner said it was the canned ham shape, that nothing on the trailer said Airstream, but that when he had the VIN number checked at a local RV dealer, he was told it was an Airsteam made camper. ?? Claims it is leak free and in excellent condition. Now I am hooked by curiosity, so I'm sure to go look at it, but thought I'd check here on the way. Does any of this make sense to someone on the forum, or am I just dealing with an owner who calls anything aluminum an Airstream?
Could that be a Holiday? IIRC they only made them for part of one year at the Ohio plant during start up. They are a "canned ham" camper. And fairly rare too.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 04:26 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1993 30' Excella
whitewater , north of cheddar curtain
now im curious....dont forget your camera...
norby

The only true nobility is found through giving good food to your friends- Anton Careme

beauty is in the eye of the beerholder-cosmo fishhawk

if something is too good to be true, its usually gone before i get there-mister boffo
norbert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Let's hope they got the date wrong. This is reportedly the first Airstream in 1932. They didn't get aerodynamic until 1936.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1932_Airstream_013104.jpg
Views:	542
Size:	26.0 KB
ID:	14024  
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:49 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I hear a lot of these types of claims. Most of the time they turn out to be other brands.

Airstream didn't make a canned ham in 1960.

If the owner is that accurate about the age and model, imagine how reliable his claim about not leaking is...

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 05:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by wahoonc
Could that be a Holiday? IIRC they only made them for part of one year at the Ohio plant during start up. They are a "canned ham" camper. And fairly rare too.

Aaron
Here are some pictures of the "Holiday": http://www.vintageairstream.com/arch...53Holiday.html

Mark
Old 08-17-2005, 06:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Sometimes Airstream is to trailers as Jucuzzi is to hot tubs.
RichardT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 08:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
After going out to look at this anomaly, I am surely confused. Like I said above, maybe this owner calls anything aluminum an Airstream. The shape is that of the Holidayshown in the photo above. Small side windows were jalousy-style. Up front was a small dinette; past the door was a wooden wardrobe/drawer unit. No bath. The owner was right about it being 14', including the hitch. No tanks and the gas line was cut; 4 burner stove was not used. Under the counter was an ice chest style refrig, meant to house an ice block to drain outside. In the rear was a sofa/bed with the hardware and rigging above for a sling bunk. The ceiling around the vent showed water damage and when I pulled up the carpeting by the door, I could see the original small tile blocks, many loose and raised and shredded wood flooring was barely visible at the door threshold. When I looked under the front, past the hitch frame, I could see some rusted frame exposed and I was surprised to see wood just beyond. You mention above that the Holiday was made with wood frame. No belly covering. I found NO logo or brand identification anywhere on the trailer. I would think that if one had been on and removed, that a scar of some type would show. Could this have been a home made unit? It did not look "that" way, but seeing no sign of a brand insignia was strange. The exterior skin had no breaks and was the corrugated style, not smooth. The interior was done in wood, a tannish color. I was so distracted by other things that I did not notice if this was a varnish or paint surface. So, I don't know what I looked at. I am hitting myself in the head now because I left without my camera. Any ideas? Asking $800.
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Old 08-17-2005, 08:49 PM   #9

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If it's cute, and you want a project, go for it. It doesn't have to be an Airstream to be a cool vintage trailer when you get done with it. What were your plans?

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Gifting one of my daughters who loves to camp, has a good friend who travels with her, and two dogs. She has borrowed our Airstream and loved it. If she were to get and fix up this unit, we'd borrow back in return when we want the freedom of Forest Service primitive camping out west. She is extremely handy but this unit is really on the small side and will require lots of revamping, probably including axle, frame and floor. She has the people around her with skills to do it. I'm not stuck on "Airstream" for a small older trailer, have looked at Avions, Cardinals, and Shastas. Maybe it will be gone tomorrow and no longer a possibility
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU