Old 08-14-2012, 12:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
California city tax...

I just have to vent, maybe someone will make me feel better about this, but my city's (El Ceritto CA) tax is 10%, it was raised last year just in time for my TV purchase. When I buy my AS this is going to amount to a large $$ value.

However, my daughter loves her school, it is new and clean along with the HS she will be going to (in the <snif> not too distant future). Her teachers have all been great, and there are no pot holes in most of the streets, in fact they repaved most last year. OK I feel a little better, but 10%... *#*$*@#!.

Old 08-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
1976 Argosy 28
Alamo Heights , Texas
Since Prop. 13 disconnected property taxes from the real value of the properties, CA taxes have been a mess. TANSTAAFL, they'll get their pound of flesh somehow.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | Il Progetto — 1976 Argosy 28 Center Bath | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:43 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
>... TANSTAAFL, they'll get their pound of flesh somehow.

That is for sure.

I pay about ~$9,000 year in property tax, so figuring they are getting a few pounds of flesh right off my arse.
Old 08-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #4
Maniacal Engineer

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Ot

Well, remember that the real winners in prop 13 were the commercial interests. It was sold as protecting grandma, but all the grandmas eventually die or move to a nursing home.... but the companies who own commercial real estate basically disappear from the tax roles entirely.

Hence your high sales taxes, trying to make up for the corporate citizens who arranged to have the CA state constitution rigged in their favor.

BTW, the pols who pushed prop 13 were both big time commercial real estate folks.

- Bart
http://smaalders.net/barts
barts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 02:08 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, long story, short, I bought my trailer in Oregon and paid zero sales tax.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:36 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
I have a question...when I purchased a trailer out of state I still paid taxes when I registered it with DMV. Taxes were calculated based on said purchase price. I wondered how to avoid the taxes altogether or decrease them significantly without them questioning the purchase price.
Thanks
Old 08-14-2012, 08:49 AM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by barts View Post
Well, remember that the real winners in prop 13 were the commercial interests. It was sold as protecting grandma, but all the grandmas eventually die or move to a nursing home.... but the companies who own commercial real estate basically disappear from the tax roles entirely.

Hence your high sales taxes, trying to make up for the corporate citizens who arranged to have the CA state constitution rigged in their favor.

BTW, the pols who pushed prop 13 were both big time commercial real estate folks.

- Bart
The big money folks in bed with the politicians for their mutual benefit? What a surprise!! I thought it was only that way in Florida.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:17 AM   #8
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by LiLNomad View Post
I have a question...when I purchased a trailer out of state I still paid taxes when I registered it with DMV. Taxes were calculated based on said purchase price. I wondered how to avoid the taxes altogether or decrease them significantly without them questioning the purchase price.
Thanks
Lots of people form corporations for the sole purpose of registering a boat as a corporate asset, incorporating in a state like Delaware that is very corporate-friendly. Can you do that with a trailer?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by DKB_SATX View Post
Since Prop. 13 disconnected property taxes from the real value of the properties, CA taxes have been a mess. TANSTAAFL, they'll get their pound of flesh somehow.
It's been almost 35 years since Prop 13 was passed and in that time there has been countless fees added to tax bills as well as building permits that have created additional income to the towns and cities in CA. Prop 13 is not the reason cities are broke; it is obscene retirement benefits and generous pay packages negotiated by unions with politicians that were funded for re-election by those same unions.

It is virtually impossible to calculate the number of properties still taxed under Prop 13 as these are county, not state assessments. It's very doubtful that commercial properties purchased before Prop 13 was enacted are still under the same "fat cat" ownership unless it is a family operation.

As AS owners, we should want to pay our fair share of taxes!
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
If you want new schools, functioning police and fire departments and decent roads to drive on you will need to pay taxes. Our nation is running full speed toward the empty promises of cutting taxes. By doing so local municipalities and states for that matter will have to tag on excise taxes and sales taxes as fast as they can.

In Washington state we have the most regressive tax structure in the nation and it is getting worse by the day. We are at 8.7% on our sales taxes, our roads are a disgrace and the local police department continues to cut policemen. We don't want to pay taxes in Eastern Washington and we are starting to see the real consequences.

As someone has said, they will get their money one way or the other. The issue is that this money will come from the middle class more and less from the corporations and the wealthy. Whew, thanks for the opportunity to vent. I say, buy the airstream, pay the taxes and then think real hard before you vote in November.
Old 08-14-2012, 09:31 AM   #11
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Placerville , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by bycrom View Post
I just have to vent, maybe someone will make me feel better about this, but my city's (El Ceritto CA) tax is 10%, it was raised last year just in time for my TV purchase. When I buy my AS this is going to amount to a large $$ value.

However, my daughter loves her school, it is new and clean along with the HS she will be going to (in the <snif> not too distant future). Her teachers have all been great, and there are no pot holes in most of the streets, in fact they repaved most last year. OK I feel a little better, but 10%... *#*$*@#!.
Aside from your topic.....Welcome to the forums from an El Cerrito High ('56) grad and Portola JR High student. Long time ago...I was in the 2nd class to go through Portola.
Neil
FreshAir #12407

Kirk Creek, Big Sur, Ca. coast.

1966 Trade Wind

1971 Buick Centurion convertible
455 cid

1969 Oldsmobile Ninety Eight
455 cid
FreshAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denis4x4 View Post
As AS owners, we should want to pay our fair share of taxes!
The problem is the "fair share" part. Very little is ever fair when it comes to paying taxes. Our forefathers knew that.

The United States was founded by tax evaders, who would rather dump tea in Boston Harbor than pay taxes on it. Sure, there were other reasons than just the price of tea in Boston, but still…

When did we become what we rebelled against 236 years ago?
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #13
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Just curious, what tax is 10%?

Sales Tax (local option)?
Property Tax (from your second post, I'm assuming not)
City Income Tax?

How is the tax calculated?

As you may have guessed, I am sometimes involved in taxation comparison studies. The calculations are often surprising and sometimes have caps. Each state is different.

You do have my sympathy. The tax bill after a major purchase certainly adds to buyers' remorse.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:12 AM   #14
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
We also live in the people's republic of California. Where something like 60 percent of all residents are getting government payments - so they need the sales tax from your Airstream purchase to pay for it all.

Like you, I purchased my trailer used in Oregon. So no tax due in Oregon. But to register your trailer with the California DMV, you get to pay not only your annual registration fees, but they also stick you for use tax - which is the equivalent of sales tax and is the same rate as sales tax - on the purchase price you paid for the vehicle. I think I paid 8.25%.

There are three steps to the process of getting registered.

First make a registration appointment at the DMV - bring the trailer with you to the appointment as well as the title signed over from the owner you purchased it from.

They will first want you to fill out all the paperwork. You self report the amount you purchased the trailer for. They do not ask for a receipt. I would be surprised though if they did not check this value against the NADA / blue book value for their trailer - they want every penny of that they think of as their money. Then you get to write them a check for the use tax and registration fees.

Next you go to a separate line where you wait outside for a person to check the VIN of the actual trailer itself, and measure the trailer. They fill out and sign off on a form on the physical details of your trailer.

Last step is to go back inside with all of your paperwork and proof of payment, stand in line again, and collect your plates and tags.

I didn't know about the middle step and didn't bring the trailer with me to the first appointment - so I had to go to the DMV twice - all the more time wasted.