Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-14-2012, 10:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
California 91 day rule.

Hi, when I bought my trailer, it was under the California 91 day rule. Oregon has no sales tax and if my trailer stayed out of California for 91 days or more, I don't have to pay any sales tax in California. I believe that the rule is now 1 year instead of 91 days.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:03 AM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
You guys complain about sales/use tax on your trailer, well go buy a boat. When I lived in Cal. I paid sales tax on my boat but I also got to pay property tax on it. Yes the same tax you pay on your house and that bill came every year. And if you happen to take the boat out of state for a few years, like a cruise to the South Pacific in retirement, you still get the tax bill every year. One of many reasons we no longer live in Calif. There is no such thing as fair.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:12 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, when I bought my trailer, it was under the California 91 day rule. Oregon has no sales tax and if my trailer stayed out of California for 91 days or more, I don't have to pay any sales tax in California. I believe that the rule is now 1 year instead of 91 days.
Interesting, and of course (with all things legal IMHO) not easy to find info on... I found this interesting article which lead me to this official FAQ but did not find anything confirming your above is still in effect. I see it was, but can not tell if it is anymore. I am in Bay Area and, well for me, it would not be worth keeping it so far away for 90 days if indeed this still was an option. Thanks for sharing that, very interesting, info.

However I guess I could call a Oregon dealer, buy now, and pick it up later??
bycrom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
You guys complain about sales/use tax on your trailer, well go buy a boat. When I lived in Cal. I paid sales tax on my boat but I also got to pay property tax on it. Yes the same tax you pay on your house and that bill came every year. And if you happen to take the boat out of state for a few years, like a cruise to the South Pacific in retirement, you still get the tax bill every year. One of many reasons we no longer live in Calif. There is no such thing as fair.

Cheers, Dan
Well, in Arkansas you pay both sales/use tax and property tax on a trailer. You do on an automobile too. I don't think that's uncommon.

If it helps, the property taxes go down as trailers and other vehicles age. You could always just buy really old stuff and avoid most of that.
Old 08-14-2012, 07:21 PM   #25
Rivet Master

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
DDRUKER- I did all those steps at my AAA office so it was just a few minutes..of course I still had the pleasure of cutting them a chk for the DMV (taxes & registration 9.875%!)
LiLNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 07:45 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
They got me but a bit indirectly.

In 2010 I bought a Class "B", a Roadtrek from See Grin in San Martin and paid California sales tax, think it was 8.75% but not sure. In 2011 I traded the Roadtrek even for my A/S in Mississippi. When I took the paperwork to DMV to get California plates there was no sales tax since it was an even trade.

Now that we're retired our next RV purchase, should there be one, will be after we change our residence to a no sales tax state.

https://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider View Post

Now that we're retired our next RV purchase, should there be one, will be after we change our residence to a no sales tax state.
How many of those are left, Oregon and ????

my older cars use to be $25 a year to register, now Colorado got greedy and they are back up to around $75. You can guess I won't be voting to let them back in office...

And if you don't register the car they charge a late fee of up to $100. I have a Jaguar that needs some fixing Yeah what Jag doesn't.... I didn't register it. I figure it cheaper to pay the fine than keep it registered... Stupid taxes....

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #28
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
We have a dear friend who lives in Cal. She constantly complains about the taxes/fees. Not to start a political argument here, but she is in the "minority" of elected officials. She makes great money as a lawyer. When I correspond with her she still to this day does not get the difference between California and Texas as far as State tax/fee comparison.
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 08:32 PM   #29
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
HOLD the horses!!!!!!!! This is heading down the road that the mods my get involved. Some of us who have been down this road (not me of course, and no names mentioned) can tell you, you don't want to be on the naughty list for talking POLITICS..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-14-2012, 08:54 PM   #30
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
Got ya!
WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Spokane , Washington
Before any of you relocate to Oregon for the no sales tax benefit, you must remember the ever so true adage, they will get your money one way or the other.

I used to live in Oregon and while they had no sales tax they did have a state income tax and property taxes were very high. I moved to Washington where there is no income tax but the sales tax rate continues to creep up. Our property taxes are not as high as in Oregon but the local authorities are starting to work their voodoo on these as well.

Again, if you will be happy with few if any municipal services, roads that actually damage your cars, no libraries and so on, stop paying taxes. To me the issue is fair taxation. I think this has become an oxymoron of the current age. Sort of like a "fun run".
aftermath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #32
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big C View Post
Got ya!
Crap, I said the "P" word too. now they have me on the list again. And I was behaving myself so well..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT