Old 08-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
If you buy used out of state, you can put what ever price on the bill and pay less in taxes Not that I have done anything like that.

Colorado now says you are suppose to report anything you buy on the internet and pay state tax on it. YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 10:29 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by vswingfield
Just curious, what tax is 10%?

Sales Tax (local option)?
Property Tax (from your second post, I'm assuming not)
City Income Tax?

How is the tax calculated?

As you may have guessed, I am sometimes involved in taxation comparison studies. The calculations are often surprising and sometimes have caps. Each state is different.

You do have my sympathy. The tax bill after a major purchase certainly adds to buyers' remorse.
Sales tax, and I have done some more research and interestingly it was actually 10.25 for my TV purchase, however as of July 1st it has been dropped to 9.25.

And yes second post was property tax.. e.g. ~$9000 a year.

Old 08-14-2012, 10:52 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bycrom View Post
Sales tax, and I have done some more research and interestingly it was actually 10.25 for my TV purchase, however as of July 1st it has been dropped to 9.25.

And yes second post was property tax.. e.g. ~$9000 a year.
That's what I thought. I agree, that is high, even 9.25 % is still high.

However, I'm also assuming that that is the total sales taxes, not just the city part.

Here in Arkansas, the state sales and use tax is 6%. You pay that on everything. The city and county also have local option sales taxes (option, because they don't have to have them, it's an option that has to pass a local election). Pulaski county has a 1% local option sales tax, while the City of Little Rock has one of 1.5 percent. This brings the total to 8.5 percent. In the past, local option taxes only taxed the first $2,500 of a single purchase (leading each tax to be sure to define a single purchase). Since 2008, this is no longer the case. This is just one example of the complexity and changing nature of taxation.

Still, here at least, the lion's share of the tax is state tax, not city.

Also, use tax is essentially sales tax owed by purchasers on products purchased from out of state on which no sales taxes have been paid. Technically, yes it does mean that purchasers owe use tax on things purchased over the internet, from catalogs, over the phone, etc... Usually, it's only collected on vehicles because you have to go to them and tell them you bought something so you can get tags. I bring that up because sometimes state legislators start talking about the need to pass a sales tax on internet sales. Remind them that it is already in place (use tax), they really need to find a way to collect it. Making things work is much harder than passing laws. OK, off my soapbox.
Old 08-14-2012, 10:54 AM   #18
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by purman View Post
Colorado now says you are suppose to report anything you buy on the internet and pay state tax on it. YEAH RIGHT!!!!!!!!!!
Louisiana has been saying that for years. There has been a separate block in the state tax returns for reporting Louisiana tax owed on untaxed out-of-state purchases as long as I can remember. The state says it's to prevent unfair competition between out-of-state merchants who don't have to collect the taxes and Louisiana merchants who do. However, it's basically on the honor system.

Fortunately, Louisiana isn't requiring merchants like Amazon to collect Louisiana sales taxes yet, but that's coming, eventually. Aparently not very many people are honorable enough to report their purchases and pay the taxes voluntarily.

The way I look at it, if it's something I could buy in Louisiana and I choose to buy online instead, I pay the taxes. If it's something I couldn't buy in Louisiana no matter what, then it's not unfair competition, and I might forget to report that purchase.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 11:24 AM   #19
4 Rivet Member

2000 27' Safari
Palo Alto , California
You are supposed to pay tax on all purchases in nearly all states that have a sales tax.

If you buy something in-state, they call this tax a sales tax. If you buy out of state / on the Internet they call this tax a use tax. Basically with a few exceptions if you buy something and sales tax would have been due if you bought it in-state, the law says you still owe use tax if you bought the same thing on the Internet or out of state and did not pay sales tax on it - the amount due is generally the same as the sales tax would have been.

While businesses regularly report use tax, very few consumers do so. Many states have a place on your state income tax return where you are supposed to report and pay use tax every year.

The states all consider the lack of use tax compliance to be an enormous amount of lost revenue - remember in their minds it's their money that you are withholding from them.

This is why there are currently so many state movements to force internet retailers to charge sales tax on all purchases - they want to take this out of your hands and collect their share of everything you buy.
Old 08-14-2012, 11:32 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
Louisiana has been saying that for years. There has been a separate block in the state tax returns for reporting Louisiana tax owed on untaxed out-of-state purchases as long as I can remember. The state says it's to prevent unfair competition between out-of-state merchants who don't have to collect the taxes and Louisiana merchants who do. However, it's basically on the honor system.

Fortunately, Louisiana isn't requiring merchants like Amazon to collect Louisiana sales taxes yet, but that's coming, eventually. Aparently not very many people are honorable enough to report their purchases and pay the taxes voluntarily.

The way I look at it, if it's something I could buy in Louisiana and I choose to buy online instead, I pay the taxes. If it's something I couldn't buy in Louisiana no matter what, then it's not unfair competition, and I might forget to report that purchase.

I can agree with that, But like Crawfordgene we live in the middle of know where. over an hour to get to something other than a Walmart. So we buy a lot online. I don't even think about keeping track or whether I paid tax or not. But when I can buy locally I do. We have a local business so we try to keep it local when we can.

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-14-2012, 11:42 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
California 91 day rule.

Hi, when I bought my trailer, it was under the California 91 day rule. Oregon has no sales tax and if my trailer stayed out of California for 91 days or more, I don't have to pay any sales tax in California. I believe that the rule is now 1 year instead of 91 days.

2005 Safari 25-B
"Le Petit Chateau Argent"
[ Small Silver Castle ]
2000 Navigator / 2014 F-150 Eco-Boost / Equal-i-zer / P-3
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 12:03 PM   #22
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
You guys complain about sales/use tax on your trailer, well go buy a boat. When I lived in Cal. I paid sales tax on my boat but I also got to pay property tax on it. Yes the same tax you pay on your house and that bill came every year. And if you happen to take the boat out of state for a few years, like a cruise to the South Pacific in retirement, you still get the tax bill every year. One of many reasons we no longer live in Calif. There is no such thing as fair.

Cheers, Dan
Old 08-14-2012, 12:12 PM   #23
2 Rivet Member

El Cerrito , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERTSUNRUS View Post
Hi, when I bought my trailer, it was under the California 91 day rule. Oregon has no sales tax and if my trailer stayed out of California for 91 days or more, I don't have to pay any sales tax in California. I believe that the rule is now 1 year instead of 91 days.
Interesting, and of course (with all things legal IMHO) not easy to find info on... I found this interesting article which lead me to this official FAQ but did not find anything confirming your above is still in effect. I see it was, but can not tell if it is anymore. I am in Bay Area and, well for me, it would not be worth keeping it so far away for 90 days if indeed this still was an option. Thanks for sharing that, very interesting, info.

However I guess I could call a Oregon dealer, buy now, and pick it up later??
Old 08-14-2012, 08:07 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smartstream View Post
You guys complain about sales/use tax on your trailer, well go buy a boat. When I lived in Cal. I paid sales tax on my boat but I also got to pay property tax on it. Yes the same tax you pay on your house and that bill came every year. And if you happen to take the boat out of state for a few years, like a cruise to the South Pacific in retirement, you still get the tax bill every year. One of many reasons we no longer live in Calif. There is no such thing as fair.

Cheers, Dan
Well, in Arkansas you pay both sales/use tax and property tax on a trailer. You do on an automobile too. I don't think that's uncommon.

If it helps, the property taxes go down as trailers and other vehicles age. You could always just buy really old stuff and avoid most of that.
Old 08-14-2012, 08:21 PM   #25
4 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Northridge , California
DDRUKER- I did all those steps at my AAA office so it was just a few minutes..of course I still had the pleasure of cutting them a chk for the DMV (taxes & registration 9.875%!)
Old 08-14-2012, 08:45 PM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2012 27' FB International
Fremont , California
They got me but a bit indirectly.

In 2010 I bought a Class "B", a Roadtrek from See Grin in San Martin and paid California sales tax, think it was 8.75% but not sure. In 2011 I traded the Roadtrek even for my A/S in Mississippi. When I took the paperwork to DMV to get California plates there was no sales tax since it was an even trade.

Now that we're retired our next RV purchase, should there be one, will be after we change our residence to a no sales tax state.

http://polakoff.com/RamblinRose/
Our travel log
xo1rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2012, 09:15 PM   #27
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by xo1rider View Post

Now that we're retired our next RV purchase, should there be one, will be after we change our residence to a no sales tax state.
How many of those are left, Oregon and ????

my older cars use to be $25 a year to register, now Colorado got greedy and they are back up to around $75. You can guess I won't be voting to let them back in office...

And if you don't register the car they charge a late fee of up to $100. I have a Jaguar that needs some fixing Yeah what Jag doesn't.... I didn't register it. I figure it cheaper to pay the fine than keep it registered... Stupid taxes....

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
Old 08-14-2012, 09:21 PM   #28
Tenkara Fly Angler

1975 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Vernon , Texas
We have a dear friend who lives in Cal. She constantly complains about the taxes/fees. Not to start a political argument here, but she is in the "minority" of elected officials. She makes great money as a lawyer. When I correspond with her she still to this day does not get the difference between California and Texas as far as State tax/fee comparison.

WBCCI #8578
Big C is offline   Reply With Quote