Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-24-2012, 10:15 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Manson , Washington
Buying new Airstream. What should I ask?

Hello guys,

I've been posting like crazy lately. I really love this forum---everyone has been super helpful!

I'm still looking around at airstreams and I came across one that may work for me, but not sure the asking price is accurate and what questions I should be asking.

The seller says it's a 1969 29 foot Airstream Overlander Land yacht, but from what other members in the forum pointed out was that it may be an Ambassador since there was no 29' Overlander made that year.

It's completely gutted out and has a new floor, new fridge and comes with a ton of new items to finish the project. Price includes new toilet, heater, outside air conditioner with inside controls. Sirius unit included as well.

The guy bought and built it to have as an 'outside bar/man-cave.'

The asking price is 6,500. Is it too much considering he practically took everything out except the toilet and fridge?

I want to use it as a studio and. It having a kitchen is not that important to me, I can always add one.

I'm supposed to call the guy back today with questions. What are some of the questions I should be asking?

Thanks a million!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2012841960.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	159.2 KB
ID:	161693   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-885847608.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	90.9 KB
ID:	161694  

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-899660406.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	90.6 KB
ID:	161695   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1553919419.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	102.8 KB
ID:	161696  

jcdevivero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:28 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1974 Argosy 20
2014 20' Flying Cloud
Kooskia , Idaho
Ask for a much lower price...LOL. Way too high in my opinion. Of course, depending on how you want to use it, it could fit you, but as a travel trailer it has no real use and very poor resale value. As a 69, it has no waste water tank, I see no propane system, probably the 12 volt electrical system is gone, I can't read the bathroom situation at all. Who knows about the axels. The floor under the new floor could be OK or could be bad and covered up. In essence it is a gutted trailer, and the value of those is not very high.
idroba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 10:49 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Manson , Washington
'69s don't come with a waste water tank?

I don't mind it being hollowed out, BUT I want it to have the electrical, plumbing and propane lines so when I do decide to use it for travel.

Thanks!
Old 06-24-2012, 02:07 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
69's have a black water tank. You must either put the gray water on the ground or carry a blue boy portable holding tank. I carry one when I use my 63. It is not that bad. I think the price is too high for what you are getting. If I were you, with limited knowledge base of Airstreams, I would buy a newer better unit that was ready to roll and camp.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:49 PM   #5
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Manson , Washington
Thanks, guys. I agree, as a newbie I need something a bit more set up.

Thanks again.