Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-28-2016, 12:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Bay Area , West Coast
Buying an AS at the Hershey show?

Requesting Guidance Please: We're ready to plunk down the cash for a 2017 Classic. we have 3 dealers in the state that we can buy from. We're wondering if we fly to the Hershey show would we get a significant savings... we're 1st time Airstreamers, but have had other RV's.

If you have other ideas, or experience with typical discounting, working with great dealers please let us know. We can travel anywhere for the right deal.

Thanks in Advance!
OSIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 12:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 25' Safari
Salem , Oregon
Hi, I tried to deal with three Southern California Airstream dealers and ended up buying my trailer in Eugene, Oregon. That was about eleven years ago.
YAMAHA 2400 / AIR #12144
ROBERTSUNRUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 04:22 AM   #3
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Thumbs up Welcome Aboard....

Buy gently used....

Most of the bugs will likely have been exterminated, and the 1st owner has has absorbed the depreciation.

Colonial will be at Hershey, one of the best.

Sweet Streams

Bob
Old 07-28-2016, 04:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Loretto , Ontario
There is a lot to be said for buying from a local dealer. When it comes time for service and warranty repair you will have a better experience if you are dealing with the people who sold you the trailer.
Naper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:00 AM   #5

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

What I would do is call Colonial in New Jersey, and get a price on the Airstream that you want. Then call all of the dealers close to your location and make the same inquiry. Then you will have a good idea if a cross country trip is worth it.

Also check the used market to see if anyone has the Airstream of your dreams at the right price.

As to the issue of service by a local dealer, this is a very mixed bag. We have been avid Airstreamers for a long time . We have visited about ten different Airstream dealers for repairs and service. About half of them had service departments that were totally incompetent. A couple of them did more damage than they did good.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:19 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
My experience was that the "show savings" was not enough to make it worth it, for me. I preferred to find the exact trailer I wanted, with the options I wanted, even if I had to pay a few thousand more. Most dealers will "deal" to prices close to show prices, but you need to be prepared to walk away and wait for the right deal.
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:30 AM   #7
Lost in America

2015 27' FB International
2006 25' Safari FB SE
2004 19' International CCD
Santa Fe , New Mexico
I purchased our last Airstream from Airstream Adventures in Fairfield, CA and picked it up at their store in Boise, ID (lower taxes). Got a fair deal and so far it has been problem free. They have other stores in WA & OR. You may be able to shave off a few more dollars by buying a show model at an RV show, but that's after hundreds of people have walked through it. No thanks.

Never had a problem getting service from a dealer (from FL to CA) because I didn't buy there.

2015 Airstream International Serenity 27FB
Chevy Silverado 2500HD Duramax Diesel

mojo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 06:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
We priced around the country but the expense and time of traveling to retrieve a far-away purchase didn't make sense. I would use the local dealers for purchase, order one exactly as you want it rather than from lot stock that has been "tested" by tire kickers. You will get a good price on a factory fresh Airstream.

Service is another story, some good and some marginal at best. We travel a lot so work Jackson Center factory Service Center into our travels, it's as good as it gets.

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:08 AM   #9
3 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Washington , Utah
Personally I like buying off the lot. Since each Airstream is hand made, I want to look at the fit and finish before I buy. I also want to look for any defects that are difficult for the dealer to remedy such as glue on the woven vinyl floor.

Other than decor, oven or drawers, and solar, I don't know of any other options on the 2017 Classic.

I was very pleased with the folks at Airstream NW, both in sales and service.
RonaldC303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 09:29 AM   #10
.-. -...

2017 25' International
Niagara-on-the-Lake , ON Canada
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIN View Post
... We can travel anywhere for the right deal.
When shopping for our new AS I was surprised to learn, that unlike other RV manufacturers, the shipping cost to a dealer is the same everywhere and is not based on distance from the factory. I was very happy with the price from my nearest dealer who tried to be very competitive.

The deal that you can get is dependant, like everything else you buy, on supply and demand. However, some locations may have lower overhead (land cost, taxes etc.) and may be able to offer a somewhat lower price. On the other hand, volume dealers thrive on spreading those fixed costs over lots of sales.

Good luck!
Old 07-28-2016, 09:52 AM   #11
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by OSIN View Post
Requesting Guidance Please: We're ready to plunk down the cash for a 2017 Classic. we have 3 dealers in the state that we can buy from. We're wondering if we fly to the Hershey show would we get a significant savings... we're 1st time Airstreamers, but have had other RV's.

If you have other ideas, or experience with typical discounting, working with great dealers please let us know. We can travel anywhere for the right deal.

Thanks in Advance!
Talk to the folks at BAASA in Fairfield. They have access to a good inventory and draw from the other dealers in the group as well. They have a good service department.

Also talk to Toscanos. They have limited inventory because they sell other brands, but their service department is recommended by many. Both dealers are competitive.

Our trailer came from Boise. We were happy with their service prep. Other folks have reported good experiences with Oregon and Washington dealers too.

If you plan to live local, buy local. If you plan to travel, get on the plane and start your adventure. If you have time, look for that just broken in used gem.

A fellow told us that he saw a lot of used inventory at a Florida dealer. His take was that ASers moved to Florida, died, and their children did not know what to do with an AS so they sold it. No one ever talks about this gold mine of good deals, so we doubt it exists. However, maybe .....

Our logic was simple. We are old. We don't have much time left to enjoy life, the country, and each other. So we started the adventure.

YMMV - Good hunting. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Shop, shop, shop. Get the best price including travel back and forth and buy your new Airstream if that is what you must have. Under the new 5 Rivet dealer program any dealer that refuses timely service to ANY Airstream owner can lose their franchise rights.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:08 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2016 28' Pendleton
Currently Looking...
Scottsdale , Arizona
Hi from AZ. . . welcome to the clan & good luck. I doubt the savings would negate a crosscountry trip, & like others have said, I'd rather start a relationship with a dealer a little more local to you. Seems you have several choices in your neck of the woods. . . .be careful out there, Craig
Old 07-28-2016, 11:40 AM   #14

We bought our used Airstream from Colonial Airstream in Lakewood NJ.
They have been wonderful. Pat is an awesome rep. Be Happy your adventure
is just starting.
Trish
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	highland.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	108.9 KB
ID:	267865  
Blauth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #15
Living Riveted since 2013

2016 Interstate Lounge Ext
Green Cove Springs , Florida
If buying new it's usually best to buy from your local dealer. You'll be spending plenty of quality time with that dealer over the next two years for in-warranty repairs. However, if the local dealer does not have a good reputation for their service department, I'd suggest that you buy a gently used Airstream instead.

Rocinante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:44 AM   #16
Stardust

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Seabrook , Texas
That is very true! We ended up going to Jackson Center for warranty work. Our local dealer said 3-4 months or longer because we bought it in Florida. (Super deal from RV One). It was worth the trip to JC just to see the factory tour. You will really understand pricing of the Airstream! JC was great about doing the work.
nwdionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:47 AM   #17

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Medfield , Massachusetts
I'm sorry if this question has already been asked and answered, when is the Hershey Show?
wendetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:49 AM   #18
Stardust

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Seabrook , Texas
Jackson Center said they hear about dealers all the time making people wait for long periods of time be cause they didn't buy there. They said they were going to start cracking down on dealers. I hope so !
nwdionne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2016, 11:51 AM   #19
2 Rivet Member

2015 27' Flying Cloud
Yorba Linda , California
We purchased from Orange County Airstream. Same ownership as Los Angeles Airstream so they do a good volume. Dick, Paul and Ira were great in the Sales dept. they gave me a good deal. Walk away negation tactics paid off. Part of the deal was 1yr free storage (Another $1800 value). Since I store my rig there (Still) I see them all the time. We share stories and solutions. Danny, the service manager always takes time. They have a spare set of keys so I can just call for service or just to get the trailer ready for pickup. It's always washed before pickup. Propane too at a good price. Daisy handles storage. I all her before every trip. BOTTOM LINE...Buying local may be the best choice if you are a first timer like me. ABOVE ALL...Just have fun and use it often! ������
Old 07-28-2016, 12:32 PM   #20
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Friday Harbor , Washington
Expect a good discount

I am in the midst of purchasing my first AS and -- like you -- have had other RVs for decades. To test the discount waters, I asked for an end of month sales price on a floor model (in the showroom) and was offered a 95ishK MRSP reduced to the low 80s.

Just now I am very serious about a new 25' Flying Cloud, 2016, and was offered a sale price in the low 70s from the showroom price in the low 80s. It is clear, average sale prices (many sources) average $10,000 and more off the on-the-lot prices.

And -- if Oregon -- perhaps no sales tax at all.

We will all want to know what you do. Cheers
Rob Cope is offline   Reply With Quote