Old 07-30-2015, 10:31 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1979 28' Airstream Excella 28
Brooklyn , New York
Question Buying Airstream from dealer out of state

I've never purchased an RV, let alone one from a dealer out of state. I found the RV I want and have put down a deposit so that they will hold it for me until I fly down and pick it up. I have a few questions about the process.

They asked me to send a copy of my driver's license along with my social security number. Why would they need this information prior to me picking up the RV?

I am not sure exactly what documents I need to make this purchase. I am going to be paying cash so I figure I will just show up with a cashiers check. What are the standard documents I need to make sure I get and what documents do I need to sign?

Again, I am new to this so any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Old 07-30-2015, 10:42 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1970 23' Safari
2005 30' Classic
1986 31' Sovereign
Lorain , Ohio
Welcome!

Drivers License is probably OK. I might black out the number prior to giving them a copy. No way they are getting SSN.

They probably just want to make sure you are legit? Crazy idea, call them and ask?

You are a customer and they are gonna make a ton of money off of you. Don't hesitate to question them. Don't forget, they work for you now.

Proud Member of the Wally Byam Airstream Club #24260

www.campnova.com

The “Ohio Airstreamer -- Informal forum for weekend camping” thread.
DanB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 10:48 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
ANY check can be forged. Certified or otherwise. They would have to have their bank verify it with your bank to be sure it's legit. SO they plan to run your identity and credit... and SSN is still used widely by credit reporting agencies, hospitals, etc. It is not right but it's still done.

Call the dealer - ask.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:02 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
We put a deposit in place with a credit card on a new unit. The payment in full was mailed as a bank check just over two weeks before we got there to pick up the unit. I gave them the SSN over the phone and not in an email. Did send copy of driver's license to prove state of residence as I did not pay sales tax in their state nor did I get a permanent plate from them (we got a temporary 10 day plate to get it out of state and registered in the home state). They also required proof of insurance and a signed document saying your tow vehicle is up to the task at hand.

I signed a release at the dealership when I installed the four Michelin LTX (P) 235/75R15 XL tires mounted on 15" SenDel T03-56545T wheels replacing the stock 14" Goodyear Explodathons and stock wheels. We did keep the stock spare on the trailer for the trip home with the 15" spare in the tow vehicle.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #5
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walkietalkie View Post
They asked me to send a copy of my driver's license along with my social security number. Why would they need this information prior to me picking up the RV?
The IRS investigates all transactions over $10,000 to make sure you're not money-laundering, and the dealer has to provide information about you to the IRS. Driver's license (proof of identity) and SSN provided by the dealer allow the IRS to track down your financial information.
Quote:
I am not sure exactly what documents I need to make this purchase.
Bring proof of insurance. They'll want it insured before you take it off the lot. Even if they didn't, you'll want it insured lest a semi cream your new Airstream as you're leaving the lot.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:14 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
When I bought mine from out of state, I invested in paying an Attorney a small fee to wirte a letter that had a clause saying the deal was canceled if the trailer was not what they represented and I gave them my bank officers name so they could verify who I was. I then called my bank officer and let her know she might receive a call. I refused to give my social security number and they could tell that I must be a serious person and they worked with me after that. I did send them a deposit through paypal and there was a clause in the attorneys letter that said I would get it back if they misrepresented anything.

Good luck...it's a fun process buying your Airstream. Please post and let us know how it works out.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:15 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 20' Flying Cloud
Centennial , Colorado
P.S....the Attorneys letter also had a place for them to sign their agreement of my terms and I gave them a deadline to get it back to me before I got on the road. It all worked out well.
Old 07-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #8
fth
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2003 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Fairlawn , Virginia
If it's new you should be fine but if it's used you might want to check this: Buying An Airstream: A most unusual experience
Old 07-30-2015, 11:22 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2010 20' Flying Cloud
Hailey , Idaho
Listen to DanB! And safe travels with your new rig. jon
Old 07-30-2015, 11:38 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
1997 21' Excella
Watervliet , Michigan
I put a $5,000 cc deposit on a 2016 25fc in April. I paid cash upon its delivery, cashiers check, in May. I was only required to show identity via my drivers lic. SSN are not required.

2016 RAM 2500 6.7L Cummins, 4WD, Crew, Rear Air
Plan-B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 11:40 AM   #11
3 Rivet Member

2000 30' Excella
Greeneville , Tennessee
Protect yourself

Quote:
Originally Posted by B00merang View Post
Listen to DanB! And safe travels with your new rig. jon
I agree with jon. They don't need your SSN, most bank transactions made by bank/cashiers checks do not require IRS notification, just cash transactions of certain higher levels. I purchased an AS out of state once, no problems at all. I was however, dealing with an older, established AS dealer.
Good luck and enjoy your Airstream.
Jim
Old 07-30-2015, 11:55 AM   #12
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfa440 View Post
I agree with jon. They don't need your SSN, most bank transactions made by bank/cashiers checks do not require IRS notification, just cash transactions of certain higher levels. I purchased an AS out of state once, no problems at all. I was however, dealing with an older, established AS dealer.
That higher level is $10,000 and above. And it's not only the bank that has to report the withdrawal, but also the dealer who has to report receiving the money. When I bought my Airstream out-of-state, I watched the dealer fill out the legally-required paperwork to be submitted to the IRS. And yes, the SSN was on the paperwork.

But you don't have to believe me if you don't want to. The OP will find out for himself soon enough.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2015, 03:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I have pur. machinery well in excess of $10,000.00 with bank draft no questions asked for ssn only my name and address on bill of sale, no forms, only thing some sellers did was verify bank draft. Only 1 time was I asked by my bank where money came from that I deposited and that was over ten yrs. ago. When I sell crops only thing they have is my name and address and deposit check in bank no questions.
Old 07-30-2015, 03:26 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Currently Looking...
Durango , Colorado
I'm so old that the SS card issued to me in 1954 says "NOT FOR IDENTIFCATION PURPOSES"

I buy and sell old cars and I've seen the banks question cash deposits and withdrawals as low as $7000.