Old 12-25-2015, 04:00 PM   #15
Rivet Master
2012 25' Flying Cloud
Battle Lake , Minnesota
Originally Posted by dames7 View Post
You should get a 25ft for that price,
That's another story and what we did two years after our 20'. Much more space and comfort, the important benefits of two axles, larger storage tanks, as easy to tow, all in 3' 1" more length. We can and do live in this one many months of the year, not so in the 20.

Buy for the long term the first time. Hoping that has been considered.

Doug and Cheryl
2012 FC RB, Michelin 16, ProPride 1400
2016 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab 4X4 Ecodiesel 3.92 axles

The Truth is More Important Than the Facts
dkottum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:00 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Bastrop , Texas
So where do you get the MSRP from. Interested in a 2016 26U twin bed but not sure what the MSRP is to star negotiating from. Dealer offered a $2000 rebate to buy before Christmas but that sounded pretty lame. Is there a price list online?

Tarcoola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 05:56 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1986 31' Sovereign
Miami , Florida
Colonial usually posts MSRP.

Old (usually dirty) Nissan Titan
Old (enhanced with "male pattern baldness") Sovereign
Young, lovely bride
Goofy dog, dismissive cat
n2916s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 06:03 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Venice , Florida
Originally Posted by paiceman View Post
A fair deal is one which you are happy with. If you are satisfied with a price of say $55,000 than that is a fair price for you. I spent a good part of my career on the other side of deals like these and almost to a person the negotiations became antagonistic from their point if not at times down right hostile. The basis of any deal is the seller has to make a profit of about 17% just to pay the bills, anything over that is to replenish inventory and pay his or her salary and stockholders if in fact they exist. Further, your objective is to get the best deal you can and also afford. So, take what posters have given you, ranging up to 25% off, then plug in YOUR budget number, the number you can live with, and go for it. These Airstreams are far and away not a "need" they are purely a "want" and as such pay what you want and again can afford.

I approached our deals on three Airstreams after research such as you are doing with a 20% discount in mind and that was achieved with very little negotiations. I fully realize the dealer is grossing about 25%, which is no big deal "to me", as I want him or her to make money so they can stay solvent and the 20% number was my budget number. Then once that is settled I start picking - ie. Throw in a hitch of my choice, sewer hoses, etc.

What ever you decide when you are done and own the Airstream be happy, don't look back and enjoy.

Merry Christmas to all

Well said!
Venice, FL
2016 FC 25RTB
2016 Nissan Titan XD Cummins Diesel
Mrjkq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 07:41 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member
2009 27' FB Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I bought a left over for about 26% off MSRP but I did a lot of shopping and finally bought from a very large dealer 1200 miles away. Saved over $25,000. Registered in South Dakota and saved an additional $5,000 in sales taxes for new truck and 27' Classic Limited from Michigan. It is now cheaper to renovate my trailer and fix everything that is wrong (full page worth of problems) than it is to but a new trailer with top trade-in value of 2009.

Plan on spending at least a week camping next to your dealer so that he can fix all the start-up problems that you are going to find.

Happy streaming

gr.austin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2015, 09:32 PM   #20
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Center Moriches , New York
Have you checked AS prices on RV Sales - Class A, B, C Motorhomes, Travel Trailers, & Pop Up Camper RVs For Sale ?
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #21
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
Factor in service

Originally Posted by gr.austin View Post

Plan on spending at least a week camping next to your dealer so that he can fix all the start-up problems that you are going to find.
This is a big point. AS don't come "perfect" from the factory unless you are extremely lucky. You need to have service from your dealer.

Then, you need to have them fix the service they made.

Then, you need them to fix what you missed -- and fix what they screwed up again.

If I sound repetitive, its because that is my experience. Remember Lemon-Laws clauses as well and limitations. If you are buying out-of-state you use their laws, not yours.

And while you are getting that service, where are you staying? Will you save enough money when you factor in travel and hassle? If you get the factory service at a local dealer, what will your experience be from that dealer?

The original poster sounds like they are in Seattle -- you might want to investigate the satisfaction of local AS owners with this dealer. I have experience with them and you should guess from my tone what I would expect your experience might be.

DDG is offline   Reply With Quote