Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-02-2010, 11:37 AM   #1

LA , Oregon
Buying a 28 INTL SIGNATURE 2011

Hello all,

I am buying a new 28 INTL SIGNATURE 2011 and I am wondering what a fair price to pay is? This is my first Air Stream and my first travel trailer period. Here is what I was quoted:

$74,193 28 INTL Signature 2011
$686 600 W Inverter
$442 Convection microwave
$788 Rear Storage Slide
$2839 Solar Charging System
$810 Taupe Ultraleather
$665 TV Install Bed
$1142 Window awning package

$81565 Total
$678 Shipping

What is a fair price for this package. I am ordering and need to put down a deposit. I am in California.

Thanks
Jfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 12:29 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Dallas , Texas
I've been shopping a lot in the past few months and based on my research, I think you could get the above for about $65K from some dealers around the country.
JakeSpoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 02:36 PM   #3
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
Have You Considered Previously Owned?

Okay... I know previously owned is not what you asked about so feel free to ignore my post.

Have you considered previously owned. Many time you can buy a reasonably new Airstream (less than 10 years old) with a tow vehicle for less than you're quote.

A previously owned unit may come with the hitch, leveling blocks, sewer hoses, fresh water hoses, etc.

Lucius
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #4
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Figure 15-20% below the sticker price. When we bought ours I think we got close to the 20% off, but the trailer wasn't a popular model at the time, so that was in our favor.
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jfresh View Post
Hello all,

I am buying a new 28 INTL SIGNATURE 2011 and I am wondering what a fair price to pay is? This is my first Air Stream and my first travel trailer period. Here is what I was quoted:

$74,193 28 INTL Signature 2011
$686 600 W Inverter
$442 Convection microwave
$788 Rear Storage Slide
$2839 Solar Charging System
$810 Taupe Ultraleather
$665 TV Install Bed
$1142 Window awning package

$81565 Total
$678 Shipping

What is a fair price for this package. I am ordering and need to put down a deposit. I am in California.

Thanks
Well you got it loaded with EVERYTHING just about. Is this the Serenity or the Standard International? Look at www.colonialairstream.com for comparable prices. West Coast prices do tend to be a bit more. Most times you can negotiate 15% or a tad more off the list price. 20% means you've successfully squeezed a nickel until the buffalo pooped in your hand.

The Serenity includes the Window Awning Package and a few other fancy goodies. It's 80K to start.

Does the 28 include 2 ceiling fans? If not, spring for a second one. If you're handy it can be a do it yourself job. Me, I'm handy but don't relish crawling around on the roof. If they are still offering carpet in the bedroom - NO don't do it! Make them run vinyl the whole length. Use area rugs in the bedroom that you can take out and have cleaned or just replace when they get too grotty.

2nd TV - it's a 28 foot trailer. When you're in beautiful country, you're gonna watch TV? Walk six steps from the bedroom and watch the one in the living room. You pay a premium for a screen that runs on DC power. You can add your own later for less - especially if you go with an AC powered one. If you watch TV you'll go to the refrigerator... which is right next to the living area TV... d'oh?

Solar? Well in California it makes more sense than elsewhere, but it won't do much more than keep your batteries topped off when you're without hookups. Your converter does that pretty well. You could get 2 Honda 2000 generators for the price - which would run your air conditioner - and be a much more flexible backup system, both for the trailer and your house, and any other crazy project you get into. You can also park in full shade without solar.

Inverter? What I know about electricity is not to stick a fork in an outlet - but an idiot level observation is that I've been fulltiming +5 years and have never missed having one. I've got the factory CONVERTER and it's am only on my second set of batteries after willfully neglecting the first set for 3+ years.

Convection Microwave - everyone's taste is different. I go back and forth between which is better. The oven has ticked me off a few times - it takes a contortionist to light. The propane oven works when you're miles from hookups. The Convection Microwave - be plugged in or go outside and start the campfire or grill. Solar won't power it. The 28 is short on counter space for a portable microwave - but then there are NO big counters in any Airstream.

Pleather - 100% agree for durability & long term appearance. Probably the most cost effective add-on you can do.

Did not know you could add the rear storage slide - thought that was a Classic only thing. Newbie... you taught me something! Handy to have... The price? Well Everything is too expensive.

--------------------------------------------
Now for my rant - I still work and I fulltime. I need a work wardrobe plus enough camping cloths to avoid smelling bad. The thing I dislike about my 25FB is the small closet and the sideways queen. The closet in the 28 is about the same as the one in the 25FB. The 27FB has double the closet space of a 25FB BUT - if you get TWINS instead of a queen you also get a half length closet over the toe area of each bed, AND you get two extra overhead bins above the bedroom windows, AND you get underbed storage that is super easy to access. Lifting the queen is a bit heavy, but getting to half of the stuff stored under there requires you to get INSIDE the underside of the bed or risk twisting your back. Don't lose your balance trying to get out of there (and don't ask me how I know.) If you lose your balance your language will be colorful, but your body will simply be black and blue and sore.

Go back to the dealer and SIT in a bedroom with a queen in it - the only thing you can use that room for is sleeping... or the horizontal mambo. With Twins, it can be a second lounge or game room. With a small folding table you can play checkers, work on projects, schoolwork, hobbies, etc. Desi & Lucy figured out how to have kids with twin beds.

So... scuze me for hijacking with my own personal opinions - but I did answer your questions first. Think, think, then think some more befor you commit. I'm called Foiled Again because I bought my second bigger Airstream 2 years after I bought my first one. (And now I lust for a 27 FB, but unless the lottery and/or the tax man is awfully kind... it will WAIT!)

Best of luck and HAPPY Trails, Paula
Old 08-02-2010, 05:18 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Indian Harbor Beach , Florida
We have a 27FB Int. and love it. We had a rough start with leaks,but all is well. We do have the twin beds and we would recommend them as they are longer (we're both tall!) and the storage is great..we have yet to fill all of our storage areas! We also put in the TV in the bdrm...in case of grandkids visiting (we carry a wii!) or rainy days where we want to watch different things. I haven't run into many people with solar so I can't comment on the pros and cons. Are you considering satellite? Also, before you commit to a 2011, find a 2010 with all that you want and the dealer may be more willing to work with you. I'm with Paula, go into a unit that you like and sit or lay on the bed, pretend you're making it and if its the queen you like, remember those late nite treks to the potty can get pretty interesting depending on what side your sleeping on.
We love our Intn'l, we have the cilantro interior and wouldn't change a thing....right now anyway.
I met a couple the other day that travel quite a bit (retired), asked them if they had an RV and they said no (they fly everywhere!). Explained we bought a AS and the guy said they don't make them anymore!! After I set him straight, he asked if they are still made out of aluminum!
Gave me a good laugh....
Andi
kidsgone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 07:14 AM   #7
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
we have yet to fill all of our storage areas!
You will. It is just a matter of time. I speak from experience. The thing is you have to travel with your stuff and decide what you need and what you don't. This is an on-going process and we wouldn't have beds to sleep on for all the stuff we thought we would use and didn't. Purge! Purge! Purge!
WBCCI# 4821
https://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 08:29 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minnie's Mate View Post
You will. It is just a matter of time. I speak from experience. The thing is you have to travel with your stuff and decide what you need and what you don't. This is an on-going process and we wouldn't have beds to sleep on for all the stuff we thought we would use and didn't. Purge! Purge! Purge!

PURGE - Amen to that! If you haven't used it in a year, you won't.

You'll only know what you really value when your house is on fire.... you'll save the kids and the pets... the rest is disposable.

Paula
Old 08-03-2010, 01:04 PM   #9

LA , Oregon
Thanks for all the good advice. I think a got a pretty good price for living in Socal and ordering a new one versus taking one of the lot. If all goes well I will be taking delivery 9/1. I am sure I will have many more questions. Thanks
Jfresh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Oven's the only thing

If you are going to do most of your camping in Hook-up campgrounds then I believe the Microwave oven is great. If you are boondocking, then I would want the conventional propane oven. This was in my opinion the only thing that I now would change. Bambi has the microwave, convectional oven and I think that with the type of camping we have done it would have been better with the propane oven. Bambi has a Honda genny but still...

Just my opinion.

Randy Bowman
OB Bambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #11
_

. , .
Quote:
...$788 Rear Storage Slide...
lets see, 800 bucks to LOSE storage space?

no thanks.

read the first 35 posts in this thread for the "slide" 411.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...-me-40776.html

and pay special attention to post #13, from an honest/former stream seller.

actually posts #10-#14 pretty much cover the topic.
________

also 600$ for a TINY 600 w inverter is unwise.

u can buy a quality inverter for <1/3 that cost easily.

IF u really want/OR NEED it wired/oem from the factory go for the BIGGER inverter...

unless u have WILD electrical requirements 1-2 small inverters (50$) will serve well.

besides with only 2 batteries, heavy INVERTER USE will suck them dry fast.

the same is true for the 2800$ solar package.

it is NICE to have oem but thats 2x what the same bits would cost somewhere else...

in other words one could get 2x that much solar value from an installer for the same money.

and 650$ for a rear tele set up...

lets see thats about 150$ in parts.

the MORE STUFF added to the unit the greater MARGIN on price...

which will appear to be a larger discount...

while YOUR price actually goes up (especially if financing)

the full awning package at that price IS a good value.

Quote:
I think a got a pretty good price for living in Socal and ordering a new one versus taking one of the lot.
IF U R happy with the price, that's all that matters.

but "ordering a unit" should result in the same or BETTER discount...

since the dealer has NO MONEY involved in the purchase (they own the stuff on their lot, so they PUSH it)

with an order, they got NO storage, no insurance, no interest to pay and so on...

an order IS easy money for the dealer.

also ANY deposit (keep it under 1000$) should be FULLY REFUNDABLE...

and the purchase subject to YOUR approval after the trailer arrives and u have INSPECTED it.

there are plenty of examples here of trailers delivered that were NOT acceptable

for some build/damage/repair/fitnfinish issue when brand new.

don't accept the unit till u see it.

this is LIKE buying and closing on a HOUSE, it's not like buying a car.

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:07 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
Chicago , Illinois
Paula is right on the money with her note about Twin beds as opposed to a Queen bed. If your tall and you cannot fit lengthwise on the bed its a real deal breaker. A deciding factor why we bought our Airstream was because of the twin beds, hubby very tall.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:28 PM   #13
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Sounds like you've already ordered it, but if you haven't, 2air's suggestions about ultra high prices for items installed at the factory are correct. We got a 96 w. unit for less than half that price—for that much you could have 200 w., or more if you do it yourself.

Queen beds can be lengthened with some ingenuity, so you don't have to have twins if you are tall.

You can check with other Airstream dealers for price comparisons—the money you save may be a lot more than the trip cross country would cost. A lot of people like Airstream of Arkansas or Colonial in NJ (I've never been near either, just reporting what I've read).

What about the hitch? What are you going to tow it with?

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2010, 05:37 PM   #14
_

. , .
dealers don't LIKE to mention this,

but orders can be tweaked RIGHT UP to the beginning of the build date.

especially for minor add-on things like this order includes.

major structural changes or layout changes...

or fabric color/interior decor is hard to change LATE in the process...

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:34 PM   #15
daveharc

Chandler , Arizona
Send a message via Yahoo to daveharc
Quote:
Thanks for all the good advice. I think a got a pretty good price for living in Socal and ordering a new one versus taking one of the lot. If all goes well I will be taking delivery 9/1. I am sure I will have many more questions. Thanks
Do you mind sharing what percentage discount you finally received on your new Airstream???
daveharc is offline   Reply With Quote