Old 01-30-2010, 10:13 PM   #15
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
We bought a 2010 25' FB Flying Cloud in October. We left Traverse City, MI in January for our first long term trip (3 months). We downsized from a 30' Carriage fifth wheel with 2 slides. We have adapted to the 25' Airstream pretty well, even living in it 24/7 during our trip south. To be honest, it gets "close" sometimes, but as mentioned, we have adapted well. All Airstreams of the same model are equipped basically alike but do have a few variations in equipment sometimes, even within the same model. I would recommend two top of the line Fantastic Fans, 7 cu ft two door refrig, 6 gallon water htr, premium audio/video pkg with 22" TV/cable hookup, AM/FM/CD/DVD/CD controller receiver, twp pair 6.5" speakers with active subwoofer, prewired for satellite/solar/generator, two batteries, 39 gallon fresh water tank/39 gallon black/37 grey. Ours came equipped with a convection microwave with 3 burner cook top. Am not real happy with the convection m/w oven which operates as a standard microwave oven and a standard convention electric oven. It is not real user friendly - I've studied the operation manual extensively, but still have to refer to it frequently for certain uses. I would like a 8 gallon hot water tank instead of a 6, but if you take a "Navy shower", the hot water will last through a normal shower. The 15 BTU LP gas furnace is OK, but we burned a lot of LP during our stay in North Florida during the numerous cold spells. I attribute this to the large window areas and the metal skin (inside and out). The A/C with heat pump is adequate as far as the heat pump goes, but have not used the A/C yet. The shower stall is small and would give a larger person trouble when showering. Some backing on shelving under the kitchen and bath sinks does not completely cover the back of the top shelves. Have had items drop down behind this backing requiring me to fashion a "fish" wire to retrieve the dropped items. Have no idea if I have retrieved all the items. I pull my rig with a 2009 Ford Lariat, 5.4 V-8 gas that is more than adequate. The rig pulls straight and without wandering. I do use a swaybar on one of the control arms, but don't believe this is absolutely necessary. All in all, I can say that I am pretty satisfied with my Airstream. I previously owned another travel trailer and a fifth wheel.

Old 01-31-2010, 10:59 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
Ridgeline,

The "Boondocker" package consists of a solar panel (53 watt on the 20' FC) a solar controller and a 600 watt inverter so you can run the TV. AS also changes the batteries from wet cells to AGM's. Our dealer states he can probably squeeze more solar panels on the roof if we wish. I think that with a larger trailer AS "Boondocker" come with additional panels.

TerryC

Old 02-01-2010, 10:01 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Longmont , Colorado
Thanks TerryC. As I understand it, it typically is a 1:2 ratio, that is 1-watt for every 2-amphrs to charge a battery. Assuming you have 2 100 amphr batteries (that's what mine are) you would need 2 panels.

AGMs again in my experience are great with the one issue that if they get completely run down, it takes days to recharge them. Mine (Optimas) lasted over 10 years and just wouldn't hold a charge for long, but still worked. I donated mine (last one) to a young couple on the side of a dirt road in Montana (near Whitefish) who's truck battery died on them. It started their truck right up.

I am thinking of making my own "boondocking panels" by ground mounting 2 panels in a fold up assembly which I then could carry in or on my truck.

I'll be interested to hear how yours works out.
Old 02-01-2010, 11:53 AM   #18
Tom, the Uber Disney Fan

2006 30' Safari
Orlando , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by THEPILL View Post
Also what should I be asking for the dealer to make sure it comes with...i.e TV, electric awning, fantastic fans.....etc

SHane
I don't know for sure, but I was told that Zip-dee did not make an electrict awning for Airstreams. I would consider replacing my curb-side awning with one if it was available.

I had the awnings installed on the road side and rear and recommend you have them, too. The dealer can order them from Zip-dee and install for you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker View Post
The negatives are:
1) I hate the awning. The angle supports are always in the way. If only they could be swung down to use as vertical poles instead. I may go to a vintage awning for the door side.
I have been searching for a thread/post that demonstrated how to do this, but haven't found it yet...there were also instructions in one of the previous issues of Airstream Life including the parts needed and how to mount the awning arm to a base plate.
WBCCI# 4821
http://streaminacrossamerica.com/
Minnie's Mate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 12:39 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy 27
Lacey , Washington State
I want the 27' or 28' flying cloud! The bed is centered for walking around. Only thing that stands in the way is $58k. [smile] Oh well I can dream while reading about your fun.

Did you go to Airstream.com ? They have so much information about what is available and the options. Another idea is "shopping" around to a couple of the big dealers in the country and see what price they would give you. The advantage of a local dealer is the ease of going to them for pick up.

Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/Empresspublishing

http://thoughtsfromwisdom.blogspot.com/
JLJustice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-2010, 01:26 PM   #20
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

2010 25' FB International
Arlington , Texas
I know I'm going to regret this decision, but I'm getting the 23' Flying Cloud with the "L" Lounge. I should get the 25 with the bigger bed but for about 5,000 more. But the 23' will fit in my parking area on the side of my home a lot better.
Old 02-01-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
I believe the 23" is 8' wide where the 25' is 8.5' wide.
Old 02-01-2010, 04:02 PM   #22
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

UPDATE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I went ahead and bought a 2010 25 FB INternational CCD. Gonna pick her up on Friday!!!

WOOOOHOOOOO.

I knew the 23' would be way to small. Especially the bed.

SHane
Old 02-01-2010, 04:05 PM   #23
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
nice choice, thats what I was going to get but they wanted too much compared to the safari se
Old 02-02-2010, 07:12 PM   #24
2 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
2010 20' Flying Cloud
Los Gatos , California
Congratulations PILL I know you'll enjoy your new toy. We're anxiously awaiting ours to arrive.

TerryC
Old 02-04-2010, 07:30 AM   #25
A.K.A "THE STREAM"

Arlington , Texas
Well today is the day. Suppose to do the walk around at 2:00. Then I she's all mine. I still have my old 76 Argosy in the drive way. Old and New will meet today. The buyer of the Argosy will be wednesday to get her. Anyway Just excited.

SHane
Old 02-05-2010, 09:21 AM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB Flying Cloud
Traverse City , Michigan
Congrats Pill

I am convinced you made the right choice. Have Fun

Wing Nut