Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2015, 10:26 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
Buyer experience with Jackrobert?

Anyone have any experience with the buyer Jackrobert. Appears ready to purchase and use the suggested escrow company, but thought I'd check here. Something seems off.
Clawdan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:10 AM   #2
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Yes I do. He emailed me yesterday about our AS & it is a of course a scam! Who would offer to pay for something with no questions or much less without having someone look at it. PLEASE report this person as a scam as I did. If someone is really interested in our AS they will call & ask intelligent questions 1st. I am so put out with the # of scam emails I received similar to this "buyer" that I am considering removing the ad.

If anyone knows of a way to reduce the # of con artists that can access the forum please share.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:19 AM   #3

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Please forward any suspicious communication you've received from this person to me or another moderator. If it came to you as an email, please forward it to classifieds@airforums.com

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 11:25 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
Buyer experience with Jackrobert?

Just forwarded it to you.

Thanks

skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2015, 12:09 PM   #5

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Thank you very much. We have taken the action available to us. Please don't contact the suspicious "buyer" any further, but if you want to pursue it we encourage you to report it to the FBI.

Please report any suspicious activity from supposed buyers OR sellers to a moderator or use the email address I listed above. (For sellers there's a "Report" button on the ad that contacts us, that's the best way but if they've sent you email that seems suspicious, forward it.)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 07:36 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
E-mailed to you as you asked.

Interesting that he seems willing to use the recommended escrow company.
Old 07-05-2015, 08:27 AM   #7
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
You can try adding the phrase "Sale completed in cash or certified funds in person at the time of purchase. Other forms of payment only suitable for prepurchase deposit".
Old 07-05-2015, 07:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2011 31' Classic
Nellysford , Virginia
Great idea!
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
You can try adding the phrase "Sale completed in cash or certified funds in person at the time of purchase. Other forms of payment only suitable for prepurchase deposit".
TAC VA-18 | Life Mbr ACI 1927 - Spirit of Virginia Club | AIR 53869
Silver Otter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2015, 08:36 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Independence , Missouri
He emailed me to this weekend about my trailer too! What got me was moved from USA to the UK. He wanted to pay for my trailer by American certified check. That tipped me off right there.im only wanting cash.
Twinke58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:25 AM   #10
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
After advertising a recumbent bike for sale on a bicycle classifieds site, I got so much scam email that I removed the ad. The recumbent bike is still in the shed.
1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 03:29 PM   #11

Castle Rock , Colorado
Don't respond to Jack Robert is my recommendation

I thought something was off as well when I saw a few emails.

The use of English is off, not wanting to speak by phone, let alone see the trailer in person... not a good sign.

Jal77
Jal77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 05:29 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Do some Google Leg Work to track scammers...

Even legitimate buyers can be... unusual.

Sold our 2006 23 foot Safari to a local buyer who needed to get a loan from his retirement account. Even down to the last hour he was at our Bank, which he also banked, trying to get the deal finished and paid for. His wanted to verify that the money was indeed there and my branch needed to have it verified before a Cashiers Check was issued to me.

I had been looking at several 28 foot Airstreams and decided they were too large for me. Each of the people had the same person giving them a similar situation. They would not even talk to him any longer. This was from several telephone calls inquiring if this individual had contacted them on their local trailers. So, I was prepared for the run around.

He looked at the trailer with his daughter. She really was disinterested although it was for "family trips". But looking at 28 footers and then wanting my 23 foot Safari seemed a stretch. Sometime around 4PM my bank confirmed he had the money at the other branch, he purchased a Cashiers Check, it was handed to me and paper work was finished. I deposited the Cashier's Check. I installed the hitch and hooked the trailer onto his Tundra and off he went.

At the same time I had a older gentleman from Montana wanting the trailer. He would write the check and wait for it to clear before picking up the trailer. I was hoping the first buyer was going to miss the deadline we had in writing, but made it within an hour.

Maybe less than two months later I was looking to see what Airstream Trailers were still being listed for sale on the Denver Craigslist and a 23 foot Safari was available. It was mine. Obviously his girlfriend and daughter did not like camping and he was selling it. I thought it odd. Then I had a Private Message on the Airforum that a buyer north of Denver bought it for less money from the same person and saw my name and location on the Airforum! Small world and they ended up with a real nice 23 foot Safari.

So, as weird as this sounds... I have been through enough of these "rodeos" to be careful.

I have a "Certified Cashier's Check" of $2,450 for payment for $1,450 in Geology Books and they wanted me to Western Union the "mistaken overpayment". This "order" arrived by Fed Ex on my doorstep with an email after delivery. The check was on a paper stock as you would have on your copy machine. Not even thick to make it feel... or look real.

The Fed Ex envelope was sent from Bradenton, FL with an address in Alexandria, VA. The check was on a College in San Francisco. The overpayment was to be sent to someone in Florida. These highly technical books were to go to a Children's Charity Home and someone would come by to pick up the cartons.

Checking the name on the Fed Ex packet, this individual went by various names at the same address. This is all tracked down through a Google search of names, addresses and telephone numbers. An obvious "Nigerian Scam" of the overpayment though Western Union... is the scam, as the Cashier's Check would not be any good and it takes about 5 to 9 days for it to be returned.

I was getting telephone calls from several Florida telephone numbers that I knew were most likely part of the scam. I wrote them down but did not answer from my Caller ID. These calls were three to four times a day and by the fifth or sixth day... never another. They knew if I had cashed the phony check it would have been returned as bad.

Those who buy from me and want to pay by check, I ask them if they would give me $200 for this $2,450 Certified Cashier Check... which gets the message across for unknown Craigslist buyers... face to face. Through the mail I ask for a US Postal Money Order and take it to the Post Office to cash.

I contacted the College in San Francisco by email, with a scan of the check that their College checks were being used. They acknowledged it was a fake.

I contacted the Castle Rock Police Department. There was nothing they could do. No wonder these scams just need one sucker at a time.

The scammer's name and number had 35 alias's and various company names. Again... the English grammar was poor and irregular as it was obviously a second language.
Old 07-06-2015, 06:08 PM   #13

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
People who want to buy your trailer without ever setting eyes on it is a HUGE red flag. Who does that?

People who send you too much money and want you to send back extra or send it on to their shipper is another HUGE red flag. Again - who does that?! Nobody legitimate does that.

Be super cautious. I have sold vehicles to people as far away as CA and VA, and had someone from Japan who I believe was legit interested in my Bambi. Having access to the internet opens us up to a whole world of potential buyers, as well as a whole world of potential cons.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 07:09 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2013 30' Classic
Greenwood , Mississippi
I bought my trailer sight unseen.
However, it was new and I could see pictures of it on the dealer's website.

1999 Black Nissan Pathfinder LE
TAC #MS-10
WBCCI #1811, Region 6, Unit 56
Airforums #70955
m.hony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 09:20 PM   #15
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Report to the FBI.
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 05:20 AM   #16
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
Which leads to a completely different problem.....
Ever try to deposit more than $9999 in currency into a bank these days?
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 06:16 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
Thanks All. Yes, strange things happen in the buying and selling of silver dragons. I've done both more than a few times over the years and all have worked out well. Selling a couple now, my first (a project) and my current (?last) as it is time to take a trailer brake.

Thanks so much for the input and wonderful stories.

Dan
Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 AM   #18
2 Rivet Member

2005 28' Safari
Tucson , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
Which leads to a completely different problem.....
Ever try to deposit more than $9999 in currency into a bank these days?
Quite a pain.
Old 07-07-2015, 08:12 AM   #19
2020 Classic 33

Box Elder , South Dakota
Yes to the more than $10,000. Pain in the butt for the bank also due to the paperwork. First teller, long line at the counter, suggested I do it in several deposits. I told them to go get the manager. Manager was not happy with their employee trying to induce a customer to breaking the law. Fill out the form, give them the cash, and done.

And reporting to the FBI unfortunately is generally a waste of time. In this day and age of resource, budget constraints and global terorism, the priority for you will probably be down around Sasquatch reports. Kind of like getting on the do not call list and reporting when someone calls. Can't remember ever remember seeing a news article about someone busted for these types of scams. Sad but seems to be the reality.
ghaynes755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 08:58 AM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Spartanburg , South Carolina
I sold a classic car on Craig's List after trying for two years to get thru all the scams. Finally, a reasonable sounding person willing to give me home telephone # and address offered to send me a cashier's check for $2,000 to hold the car. He wanted to pick it up in person and was willing to pay the balance in cash. I deposited the check in my checking account on Friday but I learned that "Stop Payment" can be placed on a Cashier's check anytime before it is posted to your account. I gave the go-ahead for Monday morning to close the transaction. We met at my bank when it opened on Monday and I was able to verify the $2,000 was actually in my account. I then took one further precaution. before I signed the title over, I filled out a deposit slip and gave it to a teller knowing she would put the stack of $100 bills through a counting machine that would also detect counterfeit bills and got a receipt from my bank that the money was in my account. I then happily signed the title over to a pleased buyer. This was a bit of a long story, but hopefully someone might benefit.
Jacob D is offline   Reply With Quote