Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-07-2015, 09:33 AM   #21

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghaynes755 View Post
Yes to the more than $10,000. Pain in the butt for the bank also due to the paperwork. First teller, long line at the counter, suggested I do it in several deposits. I told them to go get the manager. Manager was not happy with their employee trying to induce a customer to breaking the law. Fill out the form, give them the cash, and done.
DON'T try to get around those rules! They can seize your entire account for suspicious deposits, and they will keep it. It's almost impossible to get seized money back. I've read many articles about this happening. Because we have a small business and deal with large amounts of cash sometimes, this has been of particular interest to me. I can't believe a teller would suggest such a thing - I'll bet the manager was not happy!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:49 AM   #22
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Charleston , South Carolina
So I had another "buyer" contact me yesterday asking no questions about the trailer. Just wants to know the best price for the bank. I have a difficult time taking the email seriously (yes an email not a phone call).

Am I missing something?? Who would purchase an AS without looking at it?

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
skitique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:05 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Lake Arrowhead , California
I bought my trailer last week thru Craigslist with several emails, texts, and calls. We then mutually agreed for me to put down a deposit through escrow.com.

Once that was in play, I took vacation to go to Colorado, figuring at worst, I burned a few days to visit the Rocky Mtn State. I also got a bank check from USAA (with which the seller is also a member) and was ready to go.

The trailer was within about 90% of my expectations for condition. And since the seller threw in hitch and other accessories to get us on the road, we shook hands and transferred title.

So far so good. Just minor fixes you'd expect from a 6 year old AS.
Blueliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 11:59 AM   #24

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitique View Post
So I had another "buyer" contact me yesterday asking no questions about the trailer. Just wants to know the best price for the bank. I have a difficult time taking the email seriously (yes an email not a phone call).

Am I missing something?? Who would purchase an AS without looking at it?

You're probably not missing a thing. That's one of the marks of the scammer, immediately offering to buy whatever is for sale at (or even above) asking price.

Ignore them. If they contacted you from an AIRForums account, report them to me or another moderator immediately.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 01:42 PM   #25
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Buyer experience with Jackrobert?

Blueliner - glad to hear your purchase went smoothly! When we bought initially we also called & emailed but our first concern was the condition of the trailer & once that was established we went to see it, got comfortable on the condition, & then discussed price. When no trailer questions are asked just an immediate discussion of $ & where to pick up the trailer it is easy to see the inquiry as a scam. Oh well, we may have Oscar ( my Argosy) for years to come. If so it will be okay.

Old 07-08-2015, 01:52 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

2010 25' FB International
Lake Arrowhead , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by skitique View Post
Blueliner - glad to hear your purchase went smoothly! When we bought initially we also called & emailed but our first concern was the condition of the trailer & once that was established we went to see it, got comfortable on the condition, & then discussed price.
Believe me, there was trepidation. I'd say I spent 3 hours with the seller going over everything, looking underneath, testing all the systems, etc. In the end, it was all good and "Rosie" enjoyed the next sunrise on the road with us. 16 more Mondays til retirement...
Blueliner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 03:52 PM   #27
3 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 26
1990 34' Excella
Beautiful trailer! So exciting to be retiring - 8 more years for me. Happy trails!

Jane

Old 07-08-2015, 04:11 PM   #28
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
The police departments in some areas are offering their services as a meeting place to conclude transactions that begin online. We first heard about that while we were in Stillwater, and the television news station reported that some people found that prospective buyers/sellers were no-shows after being told that the deal would be finished at the police station. Wonder why?
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote