Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-08-2018, 11:39 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Utica , New York
Buy Interstate or Atlas? Or Keep FC 25'?

Hi All -

I am an avid Airstream travel trailer fan. Was over the moon after buying a 2015 FC 19'. Even more over the moon when trading for a 2017 25' FC (queen size bed, bigger potty). After keeping it at a year round site for this past year, I realize I am not using it the way I dreamed of - to travel more. It's parked. Pros and cons as we do spend a lot of time at it on the weekends. I now realize that I am a little intimidated of trailering. Mostly the amount of work that goes into hitching it up and attaching the anti-sway hitch (holy hard!). I am thinking of a Class B or B+ to free me from hesitation to travel.

I like the Interstate but it feels a little too small. I love the interior of the Atlas and just about everything about it but it is new and it's pricey. Really pricey (but what isn't about an Airstream). Thinking it may be best to wait a year or so on making decisions. My concerns on the Atlas are: (1) Is it overpriced? (2) Should I wait a year to see if Airstream will stick with producing it? Seems a lot of B+ models are being phased out but I like the idea of them. (3) Is it easier to travel with than a travel trailer? Thoughts on pros and cons?

Thanks so much for any advice!
LDF22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 12:43 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I think you should learn to hitch and travel in the trailer. Even if you buy an Interstate you might want to tow a car so back to hitching. Maybe look for a different hitch? The Blue Ox looks pretty simple. I use a backup camera and my wife’s help to back under rhe ball. After you hitch a 100 tines or so it seems pretty simple. I have looked at the Interstate and think I would rather pull my 25 than to drive the Interstate. And you can cross the country without unhitching a single time if so inclined. In fact we did last month.

Maybe the Interstate would be more encouraging for 1 or 2 day trips? I do not know what the Atlas is. Will look it up. But we love traveling with our 25in tow.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:23 PM   #3
Wheels Itch)(Must Travel

2014 25' FB Flying Cloud
- east coastal area - , Florida
My vote: stick with your 25’ FC. especially if it has been relatively problem free.
We have a 2014 fb FB which we traded up to from a 2005 22’.
IMO, the 25’ is the most versatile and easiest handling model. Matches well with an f-150 or similar. Fits in any park. Great for 1 week or 3 month trips.
Forget the expensive monster hitches. I use a basic 2 bar old school Reese and it works great.
[CENTER][I]
az-streamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:24 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! You might want to read these Atlas threads:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ey-172716.html
Atlas is History: http://www.airforums.com/forums/f240...ry-184772.html

. . . as well as check out these "Atlas" results using the new blue search box above:

https://www.google.com/search?q=Atla...=airforums.com

Good luck,

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #5
Full time Airstreamer

2014 30' FB FC Bunk
Anywhere , USA Living.Somewhere.Yonder
What hitch do you have? Some have tricks to make attachment easier. For example Equalizer bars go on easier if you lock the ball and lift the trailer up a bit with the jack. You'll see the bars rise toward the L brackets. I hardly ever use the tool.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:08 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
Been there, done that. Had a 2007 Safari 23 ft, but we drove it out to California for our daughter to use. For here in FL we opted for a B van, a Roadtrek to be specific, because the CS model had better long term camping capability, such as it is. But the dogs hated it. Couldn't see out the windows, and were constantly trying to come up to the foot well, esp on the drivers side.

Sold the RT, but my wife hates to tow (we have a very capable Silverado High Country) and a 23 Ft FB Serenity. I don't mind the hitching, I have the Reese. It is a bit more to prep for a trip, but honestly, both modes (B Van and Trailer) take a lot more prep that I would like for casual travel. We thought the B would be easier for weekends, but it wasn't ... we still had to retrieve it from offsite storage. But there is a lot more room with the trailer and the dogs like riding in the pickup fine. But, there are times when we want to go without dogs, or must go without (some festivals don't allow) so its a trade-off. So it's no longer a deciding factor for us.

Now we are back on the fence because my wife still isn't comfortable trailering. But I prefer it over the feel of the B Van. I did not particularly care for the heavy feel of the 3500 Sprinter Chassis, and I would never buy a RT again. We had a simpler, more basic model without all the gizmos, but it still had its issues. The trailer is a lot more basic for sure. And I don't mind the handling. The truck is great. And of course you have it to get around once camped.

We will wait until the 2019 Sprinter appears, as it will have a much more car like feel with controls and capabilities we have grown accustomed to in our late model Benz cars. I am looking at anything that is on the 2500 chassis, but that's just me. Will check out the new shorty Interstate, but it is probably going to be a bit too pricey new as well. No way I would consider the Atlas. But Pleasureway has some really nice B+ setups and a minimal amount of stuff to go wrong (limited Lithium battery pack, multiplex wiring and other stuff. I do see where Airstream is going that way too) Just waiting to see which Chassis options are included, as I want the works when it comes to the driver assistance stuff. I will also consider the I4 Diesel... I have it in one of my E-Classes and love it, and yes I know it might not even be offered by the RV manufacturers, but they have in the past with the 2500 chassis. Good Luck deciding!

But again. there are pros and cons to both setups... and we may go for both!
Tomzstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Interstate or trailer.

We have been driving the extended Interstate for almost 4 years. From time to time we question the choice and start lustng after the FC or Classic 25. Why? 1) Nostalgia. 2) already have a fairly new capable truck that we don’t need unless we were to tow a trailer someday. 3) more room and capability with trailer and truck to bring bikes and kayaks. 4) would have a vehicle to drive without breaking camp each time.

But then we remember 1) how easy the set up is—plug in the cord, unload the chairs, and push the awning button. 2) how easy breaking camp is, specifically the ease and cleanliness of dumping

We have been reluctant to do metropolitan areas where parking is more of an issue in the Interstate. But we rarely do cities when camping or traveling. And logically we know we could rent a car or call Uber if we really needed to. Also we can both drive and backup and park the Interstate comfortably. Not true of a truck/trailer rig.

Just a few ideas based on our experience.
camlivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:36 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

And dog loves having her own seat in the Interstate, with window cracked and a sill on which to rest her head while watching the world go by.
Old 08-09-2018, 09:48 AM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
LDF22, you're obviously conflicted. I'd say for now you should WAIT! Have you ever attended an RV Boot Camp? LOTS of RV groups offer this valuable training for a modest fee. The Escapees RV Boot Camp is often run over the weekend before one of their Escapade events (you can attend RVBC and NOT stay for Escapade). FMCA, RVSEF, RV~Dreams and others, offer their own versions of RVBC. I think with a little GOOD training, you'll find it easier to hitch, unhitch, drive and generally operate. whatever RV you end up with, more confidently. If your biggest challenge is getting the weight distributing hitch bars to lock in place, have you tried using a "cheater bar"? A simple piece of pipe gives you the leverage you need to make that job MUCH easier. May RVers quake when they have to back their trailer up. An hour spent in an empty parking lot (early weekend mornings often work well for this) can give you the confidence you need. There are RV driving schools too (many larger RV rallies have driving schools available as an add on).
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 AM   #10
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
LDF22, you're obviously conflicted. I'd say for now you should WAIT! Have you ever attended an RV Boot Camp? LOTS of RV groups offer this valuable training for a modest fee. The Escapees RV Boot Camp is often run over the weekend before one of their Escapade events (you can attend RVBC and NOT stay for Escapade). FMCA, RVSEF, RV~Dreams and others, offer their own versions of RVBC. I think with a little GOOD training, you'll find it easier to hitch, unhitch, drive and generally operate. whatever RV you end up with, more confidently. If your biggest challenge is getting the weight distributing hitch bars to lock in place, have you tried using a "cheater bar"? A simple piece of pipe gives you the leverage you need to make that job MUCH easier. May RVers quake when they have to back their trailer up. An hour spent in an empty parking lot (early weekend mornings often work well for this) can give you the confidence you need. There are RV driving schools too (many larger RV rallies have driving schools available as an add-on).
Regards,
John (aka NY24)
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:18 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

2017 30' Classic
Fort Myers , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by LDF22 View Post
Hi All -

I am an avid Airstream travel trailer fan. Was over the moon after buying a 2015 FC 19'. Even more over the moon when trading for a 2017 25' FC (queen size bed, bigger potty). After keeping it at a year round site for this past year, I realize I am not using it the way I dreamed of - to travel more. It's parked. Pros and cons as we do spend a lot of time at it on the weekends. I now realize that I am a little intimidated of trailering. Mostly the amount of work that goes into hitching it up and attaching the anti-sway hitch (holy hard!). I am thinking of a Class B or B+ to free me from hesitation to travel.

I like the Interstate but it feels a little too small. I love the interior of the Atlas and just about everything about it but it is new and it's pricey. Really pricey (but what isn't about an Airstream). Thinking it may be best to wait a year or so on making decisions. My concerns on the Atlas are: (1) Is it overpriced? (2) Should I wait a year to see if Airstream will stick with producing it? Seems a lot of B+ models are being phased out but I like the idea of them. (3) Is it easier to travel with than a travel trailer? Thoughts on pros and cons?

Thanks so much for any advice!
WELL, I am a 71 year old female who flipped a trailer and suburban 50 plus years ago, so yes afraid of trailers. I bought a 30 foot airstream with another hitch, Equalizer and hated both. A friend had a truck and I just could not ride with him because it swayed. So, traded it and....

Now, pulling an Airstream 20. My dream was the 25 twin, but was not going to upgrade my car. I did, 2018 Ford Expedition Platinum. I just got back off a 9827 mile trip across country. How did I do that? The ease of a BLUE OX (a secret to hooking it up) and upgrading my car. I went amazing places up mountains, thru desert, etc. etc. hooking, unhooking and loving life. It is easy IF you do it right. Am I going to trade up? No, I love my 20. Love the kitchen, made the booth a sofa and where I want to go she will follow.

Now, I have had two class B's and one B-plus like the Atlas. Went to Mexico twice on caravans and all over US and LOVED THEM. But, IF you are not using them 24-7 there is a lot more to think about and take care of than a trailer, a lot more to go wrong.

North Trail RV in Fort Myers taught me how to hook up easy and took me out to make sure my break controller and everything worked perfect. I just made up my mind I was not going over 60-65 (never done that before). You know, you really arrive about the same time, but much more relaxed. I actually was nervous the first day. Then it was so easy, I was not.

Personally, being experienced with everything you are asking about, I would keep the trailer, buy a blue ox and upgrade your vehicle (well, I really do not know what you have).

I cannot tell if the trailer is behind my car, no sway, no nothing. I leave it hooked up if I am only staying one night. I took Hook up and Back up at the International rally. Many people had told me I was doing it wrong! I asked him to let me watch him and he did exactly what I was taught. I told him that is the way I was doing it and so many people complained. Well, let them complain, my life is easy.

You have a PERFECT situation. A year round place to enjoy it when you are not traveling and the desire to travel. All you need is to do it.

So hopefully my 20, Faith and Lizzie my Ford will meet you on the road. If not I wish you the best.
vdigby123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 01:42 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2008 19' Bambi
2012 23' Flying Cloud
2016 25' Flying Cloud
Bandera , Texas
What I would do in this situation doesn't really matter, because my personal circumstances may vary greatly from yours. If ten responders say do "X", are you going to do "X"? I think this consideration just takes a lot of noodling on your part, figuring out what works best for you. What works best for your travel style, space needs, and certainly $$. You'll make the right decision for you.
banderabob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 09:11 PM   #13
2 Rivet Member

2019 30' Classic
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Chicago , Illinois
We’ve had a class A, a 5th wheel and 3 A/S trailers. Now have a Classic 30. The 25 was my favorite out of all of them. Not too big, not to small, towable using a half-ton p/u or even a heavy duty SUV. Get a good back up camera for your trailer and practice towing and backing locally between trips. There is no one perfect setup. It’s like boats, you need at least 5 to cover everything!
Safetyfirst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 05:29 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Utica , New York
Thank you all so much for the great information and insight! I am just learning how to use this thread so not sure how to reply publicly to each comment.

About Hitch: I have an Equal-i-zer anti sway with tension bars. As you all say, it's true. I need more practice. Thank you SCOTTinNJ - I will lock the ball and use the jack to help.

I agree with what you all are saying about size - the 25' seems right. Not too big, not too small. I have taken it out to the Midwest and back on my own. And en route, I didn't unhitch, got pull through sites, etc. I know there's ways to make it easier but I just need more experience and confidence with it. The hitch scares me. I'll look into an RVBC. Good training would be great. You can imagine that my husbands "instruction" isn't exactly good training. It's more like "get out of the way". I have heard of RVBC and honestly, I forget. I am a WBCCI member and should pay attention to this more.

camlivy - thank you for your perspective as well. I have a friend with a new Navion 24D and was envious of the fact that they said it takes about 5 minutes to set up or break camp. It seems so ideal in many ways but I do wonder about space being a factor. 99% of the time it's me and two Boston Terriers. Occasionally my husband and I. But on that one occasion my girl friends want to have a girls weekend it might get small really quick.

vdigby123 - Thank you, thank you for your reply. You give me hope and inspiration to get on the road with my trailer in tow!I hope to run into you on the road one day and give you a big hug.

I am going to look into a BLUE OX! Thanks ALL! Safe travels!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:39 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Utica , New York
Minimal issues

AND, meant to also share that other than a cracked potty (which I would say is likely my fault for driving a little too fast on a rough section of HWY80 through Indiana) the 2017 25' FC has been an absolute dream. LOVE the ducted heat and AC.

Cheers,
Lisa
Old 08-11-2018, 09:53 AM   #16
2 Rivet Member

Interstate vs Atlas va FC25

Btw my least favorite feature of the Interstate is the noisy heat and air. As a result we rarely use either. Has it improved since 2015?
Old 08-22-2018, 09:45 AM   #17
cac
1 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Tehachapi , California
I exchanged my 20’, which I loved, for A26u. It’s too big for me but DOES have two axles, which I’d wanted. Had a tire blow on my vanagon once, and though we came through ok, I didn’t want to have the trouble I saw in one accident. I hitch with a little trouble (no spotter); back up with a rear camera on the trailer (great purchase) and only unhitch if I’m staying a few days. I’m a 74 year old woman who LOVES camping. So does my dog. ��
My suggestion is that of several earlier answers: WAIT, take s class in the trailer hitching.
cac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:18 AM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
Regarding hitching problems, what has worked for me:

1. Re backing up and connecting the ball to the hitch: a back-up camera on the back of the tow vehicle plus painting the A-frame around the ball white, so I can see it clearly with the back-up camera.

2. Re attaching the weight distribution bars: using a Lippert Straptek to set the Blue Ox bars:

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AS hitch.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	374.0 KB
ID:	320554  
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:24 AM   #19
1 Rivet Member

2008 19' Bambi
Charlottesville , Virginia
Airstream hitch

Have courage!
The benefits of a towable Airstream, imho, far outweigh
the hassle (if one perceives it that way) of dealing with a hitch system.
The ability to set up camp then have independent transportation is the reward. Nothing like it.
We all get vapor lock over certain tasks. You’re not alone.
Just persevere and you will get past the angst and annoyance.
Personally, I love everything about managing our Airstream.
I find it to be kind of ‘zen’... for lack of a better descriptor.
I love hitching/unhitching, dealing with tanks, tire pressure monitoring, lug nut torque, battery maintenance , etc .
Problem solving is very satisfying.
Have courage!
Safe travels!
Harper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2018, 10:57 AM   #20
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
SANTA BARBARA , CA
We used to have an Interstate. Put on about 25,000 miles in 3 years. Now have a 23CB.

For us, it boiled down to these main points...

1. Interstate is a great road trip choice. We rarely stayed put more than 2 nights anywhere.

2. Trailer is MUCH more comfortable for living space. Now we rarely ever stay less than 2-3 nights, and usually stay at least 4-5 nights in one place.

We tend to do long trips...currently 4 months into a 6 month trip...and having enough space to live in is important.

Can’t beat the ease of driving and parking a B van though!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote