Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-18-2017, 05:13 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Spicewood (W of Austin) , Texas
Best RV Club to Join?

We're members of Good Sam because... well, just because.

We're planning a 3-month long round-trip thru the desert SW and wondered if there's a reason to join other RV clubs.

What are the experiences had with Passport America, Explorers, etc etc?
Are the PA campground 50% discounts legit?
Boxite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:25 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
We have been PA members for several years and the membership has paid for itself many times over. Not all parks are the best, but they are always a great value for an overnight.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"Best" impossible to answer. I tried PA for one year. Every time I tried to use it low and behold it was on a black out date or some other excuse not to honor the contract. I did not renew. They must have spent $50 sending me renewal literature. I am not a member of KOA but get the same discount that club members get as a retired military. I am a Good Sam member and have had good luck getting discounts at their member parks.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 05:39 PM   #4
Rivets?

1992 29' Excella
2010 22' Interstate
Van By The River , Georgia
We've used Passport America in the past and found it paid for itself quickly. We are not currently members but it's for other reasons - not because we dislike PA.

The 50% discounts are legitimate. As mentioned by azflycaster the campgrounds are not always the best but they are adequate. If you are in a high demand area during a holiday weekend or some other special event the discount may be reduced or not allowed for that time period. I think each park can set its own rules about when the discount applies so we always called ahead to double-check the rules with a particular campground. No problems and the campgrounds are widely available.
2018 GMC Sierra K1500 SLT, 6.2L, Max Trailering
Got a cooped-up feeling, gotta get out of town, got those Airstream campin' blues...
nvestysly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 06:59 PM   #5
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
When we bought our Heartland mpg several years ago we were given a certificate for a one-year PA membership. We didn't know what it was and tossed it. A couple of years ago we attended a Coast to Coast sales presentation. We liked the idea but not the prices, so we started searching for a used membership. We ended up not buying one, but went with PA instead. We paid for the year's membership the very first time we used it. Earlier this year we upgraded to a lifetime membership.

Our preferred parks are COE or State parks, but once in a while a PA park is a good choice. They aren't always the newest parks in the State, and sometimes their locations aren't the most convenient, but every one we've stay at has been nice enough. Each park has their own rules about how long the discount is good for, and if there are any blackout dates. If you think about it, those restrictions make sense. Why sell a site for 50% when you can sell if for 100%? The time limits also send those who are trying to get by for as little as possible on their way. Most COE and State parks have two-week limits, so why can't a private park do something similar?

PA is one of the best bargains out there for many people. Not for everyone, no, and not for every trip, but still worth checking out.

Another group, if you haven't already checked into them, is Escapees. They have several parks, but they are divided into two groups, and sometimes it is hard to keep them straight. SKP co-ops are private parks but you have to be an SKP member to stay there. SKP also owns several parks that offer discounts to members, while non-members are welcome to stay at full price. Lone Star Campground, Hondo, TX is a co-op park, while Turkey Creek, Branson, MO is a regular park.
1993 Foretravel U300 (sold)
2022 Grand Design Reflection 315RLTS
kb0zke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2017, 09:19 PM   #6
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
We are in the West. PA was one of the first camping program we purchased. Good Sam was the second and KOA was the third. Because we are in the West, we see new parks that use PA as a marketing tool to increase occupancy. These are nice places to stay and some have few blackout dates. When we traveled East, we found that the PA parks were older and not so inviting. My brother rejected one. We stayed there, got a convenient site and found the park, basically empty as it was a summer vacation attraction with lots of coaches permanently parked as cottages. We truly have had mixed experiences, but always half price with FHU services.

We find KOA discounts not too reasonable, but if you use an electrical & water site, the cost is significantly less and it's easy to dump when you leave. At least the KOAs are predictable as to condition and services. The problem is often the popularity of the parks as a destination site.

We find the Good Sam discount at campgrounds helpful, but AARP and AAA give similar. We get the most good from Good Sam when we purchase from Camping World. We have found propane to be a good value there. We also have found the Good Sam Atlas to be helpful in finding RV parks. Most Good Sam parks are nice, but they do vary. The good news is that the GS rating system helps you decide.

Good luck with your trip. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:59 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Anytime I pull into a campground (and almost any business) after saying "hello" is to ask for any available discounts. Senior, disabled, military, affliation, etc. It is rare that I am not eligible for at least one or more. Usually it amounts to 10%. Every little bit helps these days I am grateful and always tell them "thank you".

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
I joined Passport America for one year. I didn't get my money's worth.
This is just MY experience.
There were blackout dates and exclusions that prevented me from using it when I wanted to.
There were very few PA parks along my route. Perhaps they didn't need to discount sites there.
The parks I used were, let's say, less than five star. I never had a problem, but I was visited by friendly carnies at one place, had to sprinkle for ants (parked in a grass field) at another, and a third was a trailer park with a few vacant spots for RV's. Power was often installed in a "shade tree engineer" fashion. A plug on a post 6" off the ground. No breaker, no weatherproofing.
The one place I wanted to use it had a limit on the number of days.

Everyplace recognizes Good Sam. You don't even have to show a card, just say "Good Sam". I think that 10% is built in nowadays.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:05 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
GILBERT , Arizona
If you are Military check out ALLSTAYS, THERE ARE 1000's of places to stay and great rates.
2013 Chevy Tahoe LTZ
dames7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 12:33 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Florence , Alabama
We've had several good experiences with PA. Also the senior pass (or something like that) if your old enough is good.
The Colonel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 02:08 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Olympia , Washington
I used PA last summer and have renewed for this year; it's paid for itself many times over (so long as I have used it during the week).

My problem with PA is that many parks have blackouts over the weekend (ie, Fri & Sat night) & some have blackouts for the entire summer; furthermore, some parks restrict the PA discount to only one or two nights. Consequently, the PA benefit is not entirely as good as it appears. I have had some parks, however, allow me to use the PA discount on Fri and Sat if I've already been there several days. Also, I've had some park managers decline to accept PA even though their park is listed in the PA book of parks (and some grumble when I tell them their park is listed in the PA book and ask them to accept the PA discount). I'm glad not to be a park manager; those guys must see and have to put up with all kinds.

As others have said, I've gotten used to simply asking the park manager, "What discounts do you allow?" And most of them respond with the usual list of Sam's Club, AAA, AARP. etc., so it's unusual not to get at least a 10% discount, although with PA, the discount is generally more & sometimes much more.
RIP "BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
"St. Rocco": M Black Great Dane, 150 lb
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #12
Aluminum in 3-D

1968 28' Ambassador
Seaside , Oregon
We use PA, good sam and the all stay app to find campsites along the way, we also check out Airstream parks along the route. WBCCI Courtsey parking is great, safe and we have met some wonderful friends. One of my favorite ways to travel from here to there is to WB rally hop along the way, As a member of the club you can attend any rally as long as they have room, usually they have group rate price, rally fee is minimum and you meet a lot of great people and learn of campgrounds up the road. We are at a rally hop rally right now enjoying a great discount on the site, Ham and blueberry pancakes for breakfast, tonight is leftovers so we'll bring cake and salad from last night's feast to add to the table.

Membership chair
Wally Byam Airstream Club
Past President Oregon Unit 090

Campfires, the original social media!
wbcci#29827

Check out the [URL="https://airstreamclub.org/"and Wally Byam Airstream Club on facebook
Blue Pearl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
Normal , Illinois
We joined Passport America 6-7 years ago, and have maintained our membership because it is a great way to keep costs down, as it is a 50% discount.

Most campgrounds have restrictions on usage...i.e. Sun-Thurs, not during certain events, off season only, etc., but it's a low cost membership and great bargains on sites.

Some PA campgrounds are the higher tier resort types, others less exciting, but for an inexpensive overnight you will be hard to find anything less better.

We have never felt unsafe, and if you don't like the looks of things around you, simply pull your drapes and you are in your own little world.

Good Sam campgrounds are more expensive, in general, and the club discount is discount is not enough to make the membership fee worthwhile, but if you want a nicer Campground with all the amenities, you will almost always find that in a Good Sam approved Campground.

Maggie
Old 02-19-2017, 06:15 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Don't know if your are eligible for America the Beautiful Senior Pass (us citizen 62 & older), but if you are and don't have one yet, get one! Buy at any nat'l park visitor center. It's rather inexpensive and good for LIFE. What a deal. It'll give you a discount at most any Federal gov't campground including nat'l park, nat'l forest, BLM, Army COE, or Bureau of Rec. Lots of these campgrounds throughout the SW, all in very scenic locations. Have a great trip!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
IN Ontario, I joined PA about three years ago, and have only used it twice. I know of only two campgrounds that are PA, and one has cancelled their affiliation.
So the membership is not cost effective for me.
I am also a member of RVExplorer Club;
I think that it was a good thing to join. There are benefits and activities to take advantage of.
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 07:15 PM   #16
PKI
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
-- snip --ask for any available discounts. -- snip -- Usually it amounts to 10%. -- snip -- always tell them "thank you".
AW is correct. We have also received a discount for cash a few times. Once, with a storm looming, we were able to stay longer than the normal number of discounted days. A dollar in the hand is worth more than a wish for full price tomorrow. All appreciated and worth a thank you. Pat
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2017, 09:21 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We have PA for the last 9 years and like it, good Sam didn't show me anything...
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2017, 09:32 AM   #18
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Box Elder (formerly Long Island, NY) , South Dakota
I belong to several RV clubs/groups. That said, if I could only belong to one, it would be the Escapees. Escapade rallies, discounts, safety programs, general and specialized forums quickly come to mind. I'm sure there are many other benefits that my senior mind are missing right now
NY24 is offline   Reply With Quote