Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2017, 09:02 AM   #1
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Best dealer?

In your opinion, who's the best Airstream dealer?
I'd like to limit it to the east coast.

Best can be price, service, attitude, sales staff, attention to detail after the sale.
Big doesn't necessarily make the best, IMO. I'd guess the best dealers are mid sized, too small and they don't have the parts and mechanics, too big and you're just a number.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:07 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
Lot's of posts of the years have suggested that Colonial wins that award. My trailer had a PO, but it is clear that Colonial did an outstanding PDI.

Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:33 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Coopersburg , Pennsylvania
I would second Colonial. Great service, price, PDI, and delivery experience for my 2018 27FB. I couldn't have been happier with them.

Even though they're big, I never felt like "just a number."
BillF95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 09:39 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would certainly vote for Colonial. They did very well by me ... but .... Florida is a *long* way from New Jersey !!! Ideally your purchase is the start of a long(er) term relationship with the dealer. You will need service and support over the life of the trailer. Unless you have a regular "up and down the coast" schedule (family in the northeast maybe ..), running up to NJ once a year will get old ...

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2015 27' FB Eddie Bauer
2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Fernandina Beach , Florida
If you want to stay closer to home, Sanders RV in Alachua Fl is a good choice, with a family feel and good service. They matched Colonials best price on our 2015 Eddie Bauer. Joe
jayseejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 10:43 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2002 30' Classic S/O
Fleming Island , Florida
I have only bought parts from JD Sanders, but I'll second the opinion that they are great to work with. One part I wanted, they told me the computer said it was no longer available. A week or so later they called and said "I thought I remembered seeing those out there so I went through the parts storage until I found them".

I have also read good things on here about their service.

Al
2002 Classic 30 Slideout -S/OS #004
2013 Dodge 2500 Laramie 4x4 Megacab Cummins
Al and Missy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:24 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2016 22' Sport
Swedesboro , New Jersey
The Best

Colonial / Patrick / Sales / Service / Parts / No Contest
dlkershaw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:43 AM   #8
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
2022 Atlas
Homosassa , Florida
JD Sanders for me.
Tater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 11:46 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
"Best" another impossible question to answer unless some one has done business with all the dealers. Colonial is widely regarded here.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 12:46 PM   #10
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
I would vote for Foley RV Center (AKA Airstream of Mississippi) in Gulfport, MS. Not exactly "East Coast" but it's east of the Mississippi River on the Gulf Coast. Is that close enough to East Coast to be considered?
Old 07-25-2017, 01:32 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Colonial.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:57 PM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Labelle , Florida
I would not deal with Colonial again. Maybe everyone else thinks they are great but not me. We bought a used 2007 Safari 25 FB from them. There was a discoloration in the floor that we asked about and they brushed it off as nothing. Clearly it was much more than nothing and I find it hard to believe they didn't know it was water damage and hoped we weren't knowledgeable enough to know what it was. Fortunately we found Airforums and addressed the issue and have enjoyed the trailer immensely.
VTSafari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:06 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Ponte Vedra , Florida
Afternoon,
I am a harsh judge of sales and service after a lifetime career in sales (b2b). I purchased from Northtrail in Ft Meyers and found Mike Harlan and Derek Weekley sales manager and sales rep respectively to be the most knowledgeable Airstream folks. My experience with the trailer delivery was better than hoped and expected, clean and all things functioning.

We visited three other dealers.
Paratus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:43 PM   #14
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
We bought our Airstream from a friend so I have no first hand experience with the dealer networks however I do read here on the forum and Colonial here in NJ has high marks. I have a friend, however, that was in the market for a used Airstream and went through all the motions with Colonial's used sales people and ultimately pulled out of the deal. So I guess you just can't please everybody.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 02:58 PM   #15
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

I would guess that we probably visited at least 40 RV dealers over the years. Times change so comparing how somebody sold things 30 years ago to how they do it today is a bit hard. We certainly did not buy an RV from all of them, so in-depth comparisons are impossible. I would guess that roughly one in three was someplace I might have bought from based on how they did things. Their lack of the "right" product or our lack of funds / interest ruled out far more than 2 out of three ....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 03:29 PM   #16
3 Rivet Member

We bought from Colonial and it's been a very good straightforward experience pre and post sales. We were going to buy used from Tampa RV but their idea of excellent shape left a lot of interpretation. It took several weeks to get our deposit refunded. Finally disputed the charge and all got taken care of. It may depend on who you get as a sales rep. The one I spoke with at Foley knew less than I did but others have had very good comments on their experiences. JD Sanders did not have the model we wanted in stock but they seem to be very high priced based on watching their prices and talking with them on some used models. A relative has had very good service from them and really likes their service techs. Good luck on your search. Our opinion will mean much less than your gut feeling when talking to these different companies. I was on the forum for awhile and knew to contact Foley, JD Sanders, and Colonial as having had good reviews.
StrmyWeather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:06 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ponce Inlet , Florida
Very satisfied with service and parts from JD Sanders. They have done warranty and non warranty work all of it was done to my satisfaction. They are not concerned if you didn't buy the trailer from them. The owners are always there and approachable.

They did make one mistake, accidently replaced the upper belly band instead of the lower one as part of the warranty work being done. when I showed them the mistake the response was to take ownership of and apologize for the mistake. When I asked when I could bring it back to have the lower one done the service manager said " Our screw up I'm on your schedule man". It was too late to get it done that day so I scheduled it for a week later at my convince. When I arrived they apologized for the mistake again and two techs stopped what they were doing and took it right away!!!!! replaced the lower belly band and fixed a couple of other minor non warranty items at no cost and the tech also took the time to give me some tips on how do some DIY things I had planned for the kitchen. I was on way in about 2 1/2 Hrs.

I still go there for service work with no other issues.

IHO Its easy to make a mistake, how its made right is what differentiates the really good outfits from the rest.
Beach Bum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:26 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Colonial

We bought our 2017 23D from Colonial. As a sales guy (b2b) in high tech, I really appreciate a knowledgeable sales guy like Patrick. He knows his product, is straight forward and has been helpful with a minor issue we had after the sale.
I can't comment on other dealers but I'll give colonial two thumbs up.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:37 PM   #19
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Derry , New Hampshire
I purchased a "used" 2017 23D from Colonial. I would describe myself as a buyer, not a shopper. I research as much as I can on my own. Figure out what I like. Then I go in and buy after an inspection. Colonial was awesome. Everything from the trailer and it's functions to the hitch and everything in between.

It's quite an overwhelming experience. You get thrown into the ring and try to absorb as much as possible. Also to Colonial's credit, a lot of places assumed I couldn't afford an Airstream because of how young I am. Colonial never said a word about my age until I made a joke about it. Turned out I was their youngest buyer ever.

I will go out of my way to buy from them again if the situation ever comes up again.
ClaysandBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2017, 07:52 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Since you brought it up....

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaysandBird View Post
I purchased a "used" 2017 23D from Colonial. I would describe myself as a buyer, not a shopper. I research as much as I can on my own. Figure out what I like. Then I go in and buy after an inspection. Colonial was awesome. Everything from the trailer and it's functions to the hitch and everything in between.

It's quite an overwhelming experience. You get thrown into the ring and try to absorb as much as possible. Also to Colonial's credit, a lot of places assumed I couldn't afford an Airstream because of how young I am. Colonial never said a word about my age until I made a joke about it. Turned out I was their youngest buyer ever.

I will go out of my way to buy from them again if the situation ever comes up again.
...if you don't mind my asking, how young is the youngest buyer ever at Colonial?
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote