Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-05-2008, 12:17 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

Bambi scam on craigslist today

http://newjersey.craigslist.org/rvs/708387364.html

but it's been posted all over the east coast craigslist--maybe elsewhere.

I emailed them to see what I'd learn--you'll enjoy the reply:

Hello and thank you for your interest in my airstream. This airstream is in excellent working conditions, no scratches, flaws or any kind of damage, slightly used in 100% working and looking conditions and comes with a clear title. I sell at this price because in the past few moths we've tried to develop a family business but unfortunately the things didn't work the way we've expected and now I really need cash because I am at one step from losing my market, so I've decided to sell the airstream. The airstream is located in Ephraim, UTAH, at the shipping company ready to be sending at your place. We will use a safe payment method because I am affiliated at worldwide-shipper.tk Worldwide Shipping Vehicle Purchase Protection and I have a purchase protection account for $ 10.000. The final price that I want for this airstream is $ 5,800 including shipping and handling.
Please contact me only at e-mail because I am working on a drilling rig in the Gulf of Mexico and my phone has no service because we are 100 miles out and we don't have 24 Hr. access to the rig phones.

Zoe
zoeb nj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:15 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2011 34' Classic
Westchester Cty.NY , / Miami FL
already gone! good job.
Ingrid-my unofficial '"World's Oldest Streamer" 1909-2008 R.I.P.
richinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 01:53 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2007 27' Safari FB SE
Tracy , California
I responded to a similar ad just to see their response. Same crap except the trailer was in Logan, Utah already in the shipping container. At least it's fun to waste their time responding to us.
altamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 02:18 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1951 21' Flying Cloud
1960 24' Tradewind
West Coast , BC
Send a message via MSN to safari57
Sad to report that someone we know of sent $9,500 to a secure third party regarding the purchase of a '65 corvette convertible.

As you can expect that secure third party was non existant.

He was warned, he just didn't listen.

I hate it when I hear that someone has been foolish enough to fall for their scams.

Barry
Old 06-13-2008, 06:48 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
We had this on the Chicago one a few days back as well.

The funniest part is that instead of leaving it really vague, the scammer uses the same ad over and over with a phony (or perhaps once genuine) VIN number. So for fun, I tossed it into Google and the results dated from months back, all confirming the ad is a scam.
Old 06-13-2008, 06:59 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1963 26' Overlander
Austin , Texas
As someone who is "Currently Looking" I spend a lot of time scanning Craigslist (nationwide) every day. I see at least 5 of these per day, and I always flag for removal immediately. I know it's a scam, but there are a lot of decent, hard-working people out there who just aren't that familiar with the wily ways of these InterWebs, and I don't want them to get caught in the web just because they lack experience with this medium.

When you see 'em, kill 'em immediately. Sure they're fun to play with, but while you're doing that, somebody might be getting trapped.

Just my opinion of course.
utee94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2008, 07:06 AM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Yep, I'd already flagged it prior to googling him. I'm less concerned about saving people from making foolish mistakes (that's how you learn) but more interested in keeping their money out of scammers pockets.

Actually, you gotta be kind of careful before just flagging away, though. Plenty of legitimate posts that just seem too good to be true.

Now this Bambi is an obvious scam, and I've seen it before.

But a couple weeks ago there was a 1967 Caravel for sale on Craigslist in northern Oklahoma. Photos looked fantastic - this thing was pristeen. I called and talked to the guy. Completely on the level. He wanted $2500.

Needless to say, it was gone several hours later. Too good to be true? Nope... just too good to last very long.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:11 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Scam!!!

Here is another one I flagged oon Craig's list. I emailed him just to ask him if the price was correct. It's not even listed on ebay, as far as I can see, but he keeps saying he wants to go through ebay. Below is the initial ad and then my response to him asking where the vehicle was located. I am pretty sure he wants me to send me to send the $3000 to some holding account, and then he will deliver the good...yeah right!

Re: 2005 Bambi on Craigs List‏From:Clarence Morales (clarence.morales@yahoo.com)Sent:Mon 8/25/08 5:37 PMReply-to:clarence.morales@yahoo.comTo: Rosie Stahl (roseyonnex@hotmail.com)
Hi,

Thank you for your interest in purchasing my travel trailer. The trailer is in perfect condition, like new! The title is clear and I have already signed a release for the title to be transferred. You'll also receive all the papers required for registration , owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me. For this transaction I want to use ebay because I want to provide you a fast and very secure way. They will handle the transaction for me. You will make the payment to ebay and they will hold the money until you receive the trailer. ONLY AFTER you receive the trailer and you inspect it (for 5 days) they will release the payment to me. In this way we are both protected.
The trailer is in ebay's custody and will be shipped through DAS Shipping Company. The price is $ 3,400 with shipping costs and insurance included. The price is low because I want to sell the trailer very quickly. My husband died last month in Iraq and I along with my daughter we decided to sell the house and this Airstream and move to my sister.
If you are really interested in purchasing the trailer please send me your full name, shipping address and your phone number. ebay will notify you all the details about the shipping and payment.

Best Regards!

=========================
Type: Travel Trailer
Make: Airstream
Model: Bambi
Year: 2005
Leveling Jacks Included?: Yes
Length (Feet): 19
Water Capacity (Gallons): 6-10
Air Conditioners: 1
Sleeping Capacity: 4
Awnings: 1
Dry Weight (Pounds): 3550

The tires look brand new as does everything about this trailer...looks like it came right off the showroom floor. It's main bed is full size and is made of a real spring mattress, no sofa cusions to deal with here. The second bed is also full size and is located at the front dinette area. Trailer has a complete private bath with separate toilet, large shower, and sink/vanity. The kitchen has large 3 burner stove and combination convection/microwave oven. Trailer has lots and lots of storage both inside and outside compartments. There's great Sony cd stereo with four speakers in front and back end of trailer that sounds incredible. The large 3-way fridge has separate freezor compartment). The 17" flat screen tv(yes included) moves on bracket so you can watch it from any room.

And here is another email he sent me when I asked him where it the vehicle was and if I could come get it:

The trailer is in San Jose CA in ebay's custody. You will receive all the papers required for registration , owner manual, keys, a buy-sell contract already signed by me. This transaction is covered by ebay's purchase protection program up to 50,000 USD and if something goes wrong in this transaction you will be fully refunded. I strongly assure you it will not be the case for a refund. I have used Purchase protection program for vehicles in the past and all my transaction ended succesfully. You can deposit your money at ebay and after you will receive the trailer they will hold your money 5 days so you will have time to inspect it.

If you are really interested in purchasing the trailer please send me your full name, shipping address and your phone number. ebay will notify you all the details about the shipping and payment.

Thank you!

roseyonnex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2008, 10:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
eBay's "custody"? Wow, they must've won it in a custody battle with the soon-to-be-ex Mrs. eBay!

And now, a moment of silence for poor widow Clarence.
Old 08-26-2008, 10:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
The SCAM comments and information are of GREAT value to all Airstreamers and RVers. Keep up the good work.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 10:43 AM   #11
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
There's another scambot (or very dedicated scammer) on Craigslist, selling:
Quote:
Originally Posted by scammer
Price :5900$ Year: 2005 Black/Grey: 18/21 Gallon Make: Airstream No. Air Cond.: 1 Model: International A wnings: Yes Length: 19' LevelingJacks: Yes Water Capacity: 23 gallon GVWR: 4,500 lbs. Style/Type: CCD/ Bambi Exterior Color: Silver Body Style: Travel Trailer Sleeps: 4 Orig. Doc. Yes Water Heater: 6 Gallon W/DSI
I've seen and reported it on at least a dozen lists so far. It seems to be traveling in alphabetical order...
Old 11-14-2008, 01:14 PM   #12

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
One of those was listed out here last week. A friend spotted it and got excited and forwarded it to me, thinking I'd be interested. Boy was she mad when she found out it was a scam! I reminded her - if it looks too good to be true...

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:35 AM   #13

Tampa , Florida
Bambi Scam...I fell for it..

Unfortunately on 11-12-08 I fell for this scam and now I am out of $3,000. I responded to an ad off of Craigslist in Tampa, FL. I only agreed to purchase the trailer based on the fact that the purchase would go through ebay and i would be protected by their purchase protection program. They emailed me the link to the ebay listing which looked legit. the link took me to the fake ebay site, all of the links on the page sent me to other fake ebay pages...in other words these people are really good at portraying ebay ..I was not suspicous at all..until the day after i sent my deposit through Western Union (yes, I realize now how stupid and trusting I was) I did not hear back from them. I felt this rush come over me and starting to google "scams"...and then I found out what had happened. I found the item listed that same day on Craigslist, I found out how they spoofed ebay's website. They also have phone numbers that when called a recording says it is Ebay Motors payment department. All of which convinced me that this was legit. As I sat at my computer Sunday night and put the pieces together..I was really devasted. First for the loss of money, second at the fact that I was supporting these criminals..but mostly because over the past few days my family of 5, including my 2, 4, and 6 year old, has been talking about how excited we were to get our new trailer and go camping for the holidays. It was too good to be true..I should have never fell into this trap. Even as I was filling out my online FBI report the supposed "ebay" payment department called me to notify me that my trailer was shipping that day...I laughed and said that I knew that they just robbed me. Of course they hung up. I feel like I have so much evidence, I have a fax number, incoming and outgoing phone calls to them, multiple emails, why can't they stop these people.

I have reported them to the FBI, ebay, craigslist, photobucket and my local police department....but I get the feeling that unfortunately I am just one of thousands of complaints. These people have current listings on Craigslist as we chat here....if I could just get law enforcement to pose as a buyer and arrest this guy at the Western Union when they collect their money that would be so satisfying. Seems so simple..but will it ever happen?
valynnda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 09:53 AM   #14
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Valynnda, that's a major bummer. $3K is a lot of money, but I suppose the only thing you can do in the situation is be thankful it wasn't $5K, or $10K, or worse.

This is a bit like how $700B of our tax dollars are going to bail out the exact people who knowingly lent money to people they knew wouldn't be able to pay it back. Yours was simply... let's say, a much more direct way of handing over your money to a bunch of liars.

A giant, Nigerian scam at the federal level? Perhaps!
Either way, I'm all of the following:

1. Awfully sorry to hear you went through this,

2. Grateful for the details you included about fake phone numbers, etc. I had no idea they had paid so much attention to details. That follow up call was to keep you off their trail for a bit longer and it'll undoubtedly help somebody on these boards looking for a too-good-to-be-true trailer.

3. Perplexed that a victim hasn't posed as somebody new, Western Union'ed another $3K, and then waited for the perpetrators to walk out with their cash. Insert violent imagery here. Gosh, I wasn't even victimized and I'm ready to do it!
Old 11-17-2008, 11:58 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
If you want to have some fun ask to see the trailer and watch the excuses fly why you can"t
Old 11-19-2008, 09:37 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Just got this response last night from a post in Palm Springs.

Hi,
The trailer is still for sale.It is in perfect shape.It has no scratches,dents and it was never involved in an accident or something like that.Here are some more pics Shutterfly .The title is clear and on my name.I am forced by a bank loan to sell it so I need the money and I must do that.Dont worry,the loan does not involve the trailer.
My final price is $5800.I will take in consideration only those buyers who are really interested in buying the trailer, to be sure that I don't waste my time with endless discussions. This way, I shall be assured of the serious intentions.
Thank you
Laura
P.S.If you are decided to buy it,i will make a private auction just for you on eBay so you can purchase it there.That way you will receive assistance for the purchase,paperwork,title transfer and an extended warranty.They also are guaranteeing purchases up to 10.000 so we will both be protected.
NicheVintage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
I just emailed her back and said that I want to come see it today! We'll see what she drums up as a response. Also asked for a VIN#. This is total B.S. that these people are doing this! I have many law enforcement friends and family and if we could only catch them...
Old 11-19-2008, 01:59 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2022 25' International
Savage , Minnesota
The Bambi is back on Craiglist; Both Iowa City and Grand Rapids, MI

-Tim
ts8501 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2008, 09:17 PM   #19
4 Rivet Member

1965 26' Overlander
Scottsdale , Southwest
Now they posted in my hometown, Tucson, Salt Lake & other west coast cities. I would urge anyone that did fall into this trap to file a complaint through the FTC as I did today. Luckily thanks to this site I did not fall into the trap and didn't lose money like others.

Here's the link: https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/
Old 11-20-2008, 04:06 AM   #20
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Here is the link to the Craigslist helper which will allow you to quickly search all the regions Craigslist serves. Craig's Helper - Search Craigslist Quickly and Easily I did not think any of our members would fall for this scam. We need to put a stop to it. I encourage our Air Forum members to use this tool to call up all these scam craigslist ads in your area and flag every one of them before another unfortunate person gets hurt.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote