Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-03-2012, 09:22 AM   #121
4 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
Tucson , Arizona
Ran across one of these craigslist scams in Indianapolis when I was looking. A 16' Bambi for $4000. The scammer's response was
"I still have the camper available. Its condition is excellent with no issues at all; all the appliances are in working condition . Clean interior has no unpleasant odors of any kind (i.e.; pet, smoke, musty, etc.). Main floor doesn't show scuffs and blemishes. Carpeting and upholstery are in very good shape. There are no roof leaks of any kind. There is no water damage. Exterior shines nice, colors look good .It has a clear and clean title, free of all liens and encumberances.
Unfortunately I am not home and I can't sell it myself because my sister had a baby and she had some complications so she is still under medical care. Her husband asked me if I can come and take care of things around the house until she gets better. This is no problem for me as far as the transaction is concerned because I was selling this through E-As anyway. I believe you know what E-As is if you buy and sell online often, if you don't I'll be glad to walk you through the process. Let me know if you are still interested"

How dumb do they think people are?
aluminitus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:35 AM   #122
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
1976 Argosy 28
1972 Argosy 24
Chico , California
"Ther's a sucker born every minute" PTB
Unfortunately these guys do get people to fall for it. Best thing to do is flag as spam ASAP so someone doesn't.
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #123

Hoxson , Tennessee
Craigslist Scams

It appears that another rash of scams about ridiculously low priced Airstreams has hit craigslist.
volki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012, 05:11 PM   #124

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by volki
It appears that another rash of scams about ridiculously low priced Airstreams has hit craigslist.
It never really stops. I flag obvious scam listings nearly every day because I have an automated search in my region.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #125
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
And then you have this one which I think is overpriced...
2009 airstream bambi 19ft

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #126
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
And then you have this one which I think is overpriced...
2009 airstream bambi 19ft
Did they just fat finger in an extra "0"?
Old 02-05-2015, 11:07 AM   #127

Portland , Maine
Craigslist Airstream Scam In Utah and Maine

Hello all, this is an email to the scammer:
Hello,
Before we go any further, I would like you to forward something with the Vehicle Identification Number and photos that were requested.
I asked for the year and you did not provide this.
This does not sound legitimate as it stands.
I will not involve a bank in this transaction.
This will most likely be the last time I reply if any of the above cannot be forwarded.

Sent: Thursday, February 05, 2015 12:06 PM
To: Subject: Re: Airstream trailer

Hello,

Sorry for the late response, the Airstream trailer is still for sale if you want to buy it. I hate long emails so I'll try to be brief. The trailer belonged to my father who passed away this year after a long bout with cancer, unfortunately my current situation forces me to sell it. It comes with no liens/loans,all the documents, service records, owner's manuals. no problems whatsoever, also I was named executor in his will so there won't be any legal problems regarding the sale of the trailer.

The trailer is currently stored at my father's residence in Provo, UT ready for transit. I decided to sell the trailer one month ago before my assignment in Spain as Military Advisor and I had a buyer who decided to buy the trailer but his loan was rejected by his bank after we made all the arrangements. Due to the urgent nature of sale, the asking price has been set at $8,100. It has been reduced because I need to find a buyer before my next assignment on February 13th, and I don't want to waste more time negotiating.

If you have any questions about the trailer or if you want more photos please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your interest, hope to hear from you soon.

SARAH T. KINGREY
SECTION CHIEF / MILITARY ADVISOR
Special Operations Security Forces School
Academia General Del Aire
Murcia, Spain 30729

On Thu, Feb 5, 2015 at 5:57 AM, > wrote:
Hello,
Do you have any other photos of the airstream you could forward to me?
I would like to stop by and look at it sometime.
What year is this?
Can you provide a vehicle identification number?
Thanks.
maine845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2015, 09:19 AM   #128

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Maine845: Just flag the craigslist ad as a scam and move on. There's really nothing to be gained from further communications once you've received the signature scam email like this. Seller suddenly called away, lower-than-realistic price, they're providing shipping as part of the price and you can't see the trailer before you send the money.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:46 AM   #129

Bryan , Texas
Definately a SCAM

I've got a RV park and need to do some work on some of the undeveloped acreage at the back. So.... I've been extremely excited for the past 24 hours about buying a 2005 Bobcat Skid steer from the person who sent the email below.

Obviously, it's exactly the same form letter as the person who started this thread posted and it's a scam. I've also got her follow up email to this one which is asking for my ebay name and she'll have the skid steer shipped to my location for a 5 day trial period... no money on my part. LOL!! That's just nuts, it costs $1000+ so ship one of those beasts.
I don't know how this scam works, but I'm gonna play along for now and see what I get back. Will keep you posted!
Cheers!
Josh

Hello,

Sorry for the late response, the Bobcat Skid Steer is still for sale if you want to buy it. I hate long emails so I'll try to be brief. The bobcat belonged to my father who passed away this year after a long bout with cancer, unfortunately my current situation forces me to sell it. It comes with no liens/loans,all the documents, service records, owner's manuals. no problems whatsoever, also I was named executor in his will so there won't be any legal problems regarding the sale of the bobcat.

I decided to sell the bobcat one month ago before my assignment in Spain as Military Advisor and I had a buyer who decided to buy the bobcat but his loan was rejected by his bank after we made all the arrangements. Due to the urgent nature of sale, the asking price has been set at $7,500. It has been reduced because I need to find a buyer before my next assignment on February 17th, and I don't want to waste more time negotiating.

If you have any questions about the bobcat or if you want more photos please feel free to ask.

Thanks for your interest, hope to hear from you soon.

EMMA T. STONE
Murcia, Spain 30729
jjlorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2015, 06:48 AM   #130

Bryan , Texas
Here is the next message in the scam string. Darn good machine, wish this was the real deal.

Hi Joshua ,

I apologize for the delay, I've been very busy and I was unable to check my e-mail until now.This one owner unit is in great overall condition with all original components including paint and decals. It starts and runs good. This skid steer is fully loaded ,Only Homeowner Used,Only 725 Hours !!!Cab/Air/Heat ,High Flow Hydraulics ,Joystick Controls ,81 Hp Kubota Diesel,Grapple Bucket ,Good Tires
The skid steer has all of its original books, complete set of tools and keys. Everything works in the skid steer.
The machine is in excellent condition and has always been well keept. The machine is currently stored at my father's residence in Provo, UT ready for transit. The previous buyer had me fly there for nothing, he assured me that he has the cash in hand but instead of cash it turned out that he was expecting for a loan so bottom line is that I don't want to take any chances again and I would rather close the deal through eBay. The machine will be delivered to a designated location at your choice with a 5-day inspection period, the inspection period will allow you to test drive the machine, verify the paperwork and make sure that it is exactly as I described before making the final purchase.
If you are serious and have sufficient funds to buy the machine then I will need to know your eBay name, if you don't already have an eBay account please create one to move forward with the transaction. If this sounds reasonable I can ship the machine, you will have a 5-day inspection period to test drive and check the machine after you receive it and you will not pay me unless you are satisfied with the machine, or I can fly and meet you there, you will pick up the machine along with all the papers needed for registration.To support my argument regarding the machine's condition, I've attached more photos. Take your time, review the photos that I've sent and if you need additional info about the machine feel free to ask before you take a decision. I don’t want to offend you, but the machine is priced for a fast sale so please if you intend to apply for a loan or financing do not reply!

Thank you

EMMA T. STONE
Murcia, Spain 30729
jjlorden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 03:46 PM   #131

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
fullerton , California
A scam for a 2011 22ft Bambi is still ongoing on Craig's List and other classifieds...almost same verbiage as other scam artists have listed. "The coach has only been used 4 times and kept stored indoors for $15000". I replied to the posting, thinking it was a great deal, but to find out after a couple of exchanges it was apparent this was a scam. They didn't want to meet with me, I just don't understand why not. I don't want to go into all the details of the add its quite drawn out, but it sounds like this scam has been going on for a while.

"Beware of These Crooks/Scam Artists"
camp46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:15 PM   #132
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 22
1976 Argosy 28
1972 Argosy 24
Chico , California
There are a couple of quick ways to find if it is a scam or not. Some of the postings will have a lot of white space, drag your mouse over that and you will see white text, this is used to throw off the search engines. next, take a piece of the text and put it in Google, see where else it pops up. This happens a lot on Craigs list. Just mark it as a scam and move on. Don't engage them, they might send a virus with something like "here is a link to some more pictures." Click on that and you are toast. Delete key works best!
twilder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 04:19 PM   #133
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
Delt with about the same thing ,only on a toyota tacoma....
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 05:15 PM   #134
Displaced Beach Bum

2016 30' International
Texas Airstream Harbor , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to beachbouy
Found one listed on Sarasota's CL also.
We drag Mitzi a 2016 International 30 w/Goodyear Endurance, Equalizer 1000, pulled by a 2018 GMC Sierra 1500 SLT 4x4, Crew Cab, 5.3L V8 ECOTEC3, 3.42 axle, 8 speed auto WBCCI #6111

beachbouy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2016, 06:57 PM   #135
2 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
Anywhere , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjlorden View Post

Thank you

EMMA T. STONE
Murcia, Spain 30729
I've had almost that same scam on a California Craigslist about 8 mos ago. "Sorry for the delay", long story about why it's stored elsewhere and why they want to use Ebay or Amazon as a middle man, and then using an official sounding military title. Sheesh. I bought practically my whole house off Craigslist though with no incidence.

"wherever we go, we're always home"
Diogenes is offline   Reply With Quote