Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-18-2011, 11:18 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Austin , Texas
Austin: Argosy

Hi All,

I noticed this Argosy for sale on a car lot in South Austin near our RV storage unit and thought I'd pass it along.
1979 Airstream Argosy Travel Trailer - Austin

I don't know anything about it but if someone is interested, I can go take pictures next week

Lynn
lcurrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 11:39 AM   #2

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
I think that's probably a Minuet, because the only Argosies listed for '79 under 27 feet are the Minuet models. That means someone's likely to want more info. From the pattern of the windows down the street side I'm guessing 22' Minuet. (that's how it's listed in the Airstream brochure... not "6.7 metre." Perhaps there was anti-metric backlash in '79?)

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:43 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
Nice looking trailer (from the one picture). Is that a single axle? Is that what they used on a 24 footer?
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 12:49 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

The arrangement of windows and the single axle point to a 1979 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre (22-foot) coach. The metre designation was still utilized on the side of coach badging, but as had been the case with the Minuet line since its inception, the VIN utilized the size in "feet" to identify the coach. The literature in 1979 dropped the metric designation for some reason.

Kevin

P.S.: The only tandem axle Minuet was the 7.3 Metre (24-foot) coach.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 02:53 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Pearland , Texas
If someone doesn't mind can you educate me. What is the relation between Argosy and Airstream?
Old 11-18-2011, 04:05 PM   #6

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Alamo Heights , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
If someone doesn't mind can you educate me. What is the relation between Argosy and Airstream?
Argosy is to Airstream what Dodge is to Chrysler... a different brand under the same company. Airstream set up Argosy in the early '70s to try new/different things without risking their exposed-aluminum-addicted current clientele.

Argosy had panoramic windows 10 years or more before the first silver trailer got them. The first Airstream motorhomes were branded as Argosies as well. Argosy trailers were built in a different factory, but with Airstream designs and technology.

Zero Gravitas — 2017 Flying Cloud 26U | WBCCI# 15566

He has all of the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire. — Sir Winston Churchill
DKB_SATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2011, 04:18 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64

Greetings bike_addict!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bike_addict View Post
Argosy was a subsidiary of Airstream that began production in 1971 for the 1972 model year. The plant for Argosy production was located in Versailles, Ohio (not too very far from Jackson Center, OH), but a small number of Argosy coaches were also produced in Airstream's California plant according to VIN plates that are attached to a number of Argosys. Argosys spanned two generations -- the first generation is the one composed of painted coaches that look like Airstreams other than being painted rather than raw aluminum. The second generation is the generation that was composed of "Square" Argosy coaches that didn't possess the rounded Airstream shape -- this generation began around 1985 (as 1986 models) and ended sometime around 1989 (I am less familiar with second generation so am not certain as to the precise dates). As a general rule, the Argosy was less expesnive in part due to a lower level of standard equipment, and there was some effort to control cost through selection of less costly models of components utilized in Airstreams. The Argosy provided Airstream with an experimental platform for a number of features that would find their way into Airstreams as well as a few that didn't. Among the features tried in the Argosy line were:
  • The front Panoramic Windows (although they were clear on the Argosy rather than tinted as utilized on the Airstreams).
  • Rear Entry floorplan tried in 22' and 24' lengths (similar floorplans are currently offered in Airstream front bedroom models).
  • Composite Aluminum Floors (6.0 and 6.7 Metre Minuets) that Airstream did not utilize outside of the Minuet series and not ll of the two smaller Minuets came with these floors.
  • Acrylic side windows. A weight-saving move on Minuets that never made it out of the Minuet series.
  • Narrow-body coaches -- 7.0' Minuets -- a weight-saving move that only saw limited use in Airstreams for one year with certain 1980 Airstream Caravelles.
  • Galvanized Steel Domes or Endcaps -- a feature on Argosys that was not utilized beyond the Argosy lineup.
  • Motorhomes were first introduced in the Argosy line around 1974 and made the transition to the Airstream lineup in either 1978 or 1979 (I have not followed motorhomes closely so am not absolutely certain about dates).
  • Square bodystyle coaches (second generation) were first tried in Argosy lineup before making transition to Airstream lineup.
  • My understanding is that there were a few second generation Argosy fifth wheels were produced prior to the introduction of the Airstream Integrity Fifth Wheel.
I believe that there are a few other examples of experiments in the Argosy line, but these are among the more familiar.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote