Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2012, 02:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1962 24' Tradewind
St. Petersburg , Florida
Anyone Near Cass Lake to Look at An Airstream for me?

I would be happy to pay at least $50 to a fellow airstream person to go to Cass Lake and do a visual inspection on a Overlander that I am interested in purchasing. It is the one with a salvage title that the seller doesn't know why the title says Salvage, only that he bought it that way.
It was suggested that because ebay has only two views of the four sides of the trailer I need someone to go see it on my behalf.
If there is anyone out there near Cass Lake, that is where it is being stored.
Thanks much!
Mary Claire

P.S. Bonus: Fruity Island drink of your choice on the beach if you should ever be in my neck of the woods. (St. Petersburg, FL) (: thank you and Cheers!
Mary Burris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:17 PM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Mary I think you need to be more specific as to exactly where Cass lake is. What state is it in for example? Mapquest shows a Cass lake in Minnesota, is that it?
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 02:43 PM   #3
x

XXXX , XXXX
Mary I just read the E-Bay ad for that trailer. If it were me looking I would pass for that price. There are just too many red flags to get involved with a long distance transaction. First the salvage title and he will "mail it to you once the sale is completed". Then you can't actually pick up the trailer until " the snow clears". Why if it is in a shed storage does the snow matter?
The "restoration nearly completed" is barely even cosmetic at best. Most of what has been done will be destroyed trying to repair what has not been done.
Keep looking a better deal will come up
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:09 PM   #4
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
South of the river , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mary Burris View Post
I would be happy to pay at least $50 to a fellow airstream person to go to Cass Lake and do a visual inspection on a Overlander that I am interested in purchasing. It is the one with a salvage title that the seller doesn't know why the title says Salvage, only that he bought it that way.
It was suggested that because ebay has only two views of the four sides of the trailer I need someone to go see it on my behalf.
If there is anyone out there near Cass Lake, that is where it is being stored.
Cass Lake between Bemidji and Deer River. It's a five hour drive for me but I will be up in that region sometime in the next two months. If the trailer does not sell on eBay and you are still pursuing a sale at that point, I may be able to help out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wasagachris View Post
Then you can't actually pick up the trailer until " the snow clears". Why if it is in a shed storage does the snow matter?
It is not unusual for people here to have storage sheds for seasonal items used during the summer with an access road that is not ordinarily plowed.

Quote:
Mary I think you need to be more specific as to exactly where Cass lake is. What state is it in for example? Mapquest shows a Cass lake in Minnesota, is that it?
I believe there is only one.
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2012, 03:14 PM   #5
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
Quote:
First the salvage title and he will "mail it to you once the sale is completed".
I read through the ebay listing. It appears to me that the owner does not live in the Cass Lake area. That's not unusual since many if not most of the homes there are seasonal. I agree that caution is advised but it appears to me that the listing is in good faith.
Old 03-16-2012, 03:21 PM   #6
Wise Elder

2010 30' Classic
Vintage Kin Owner
You could try PMing dkottum or CanoeStream. They're probably the closest active Airforums members but it's a long haul for them too unless they're going to be in the area for something else.
Old 03-16-2012, 04:13 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Snow all went away here this week. There's always more in the woods and Cass Lake is 150 miles north as the crow flies. Sounds like it's stored in a shed for storing RVs and boats packed in like sardines -- which they're not going to start pulling things out of until boats go in the water and seasonals' RVs go back to the camping pads. Maybe 4-6 weeks. You'd have to know that he has other pics he could email an interested party...

He's put a lot of work into it to not have checked out the plumbing system. Just sayin. eBay RVs can be such hedgehogs.

Toward the end, bid prices can run up a lot more than the current $3550. Two bids; it doesn't indicate that there's a reserve but one can never tell if a seller is inclined to withdraw the sale. New AC and all -- he's got a whale of a lot more than that price into it. $3550 is in the 'As Found' price range, which it may not be better than unless this fellow has really organized his plan well. (ie, yes, an inspection is needed)

I'm unavailable for several weeks and from this vantage point have a tough time nailing down the period after that.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote