Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-15-2014, 07:48 AM   #21
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
Coastal, My wife and I are in Clover SC and beginning our search for a new airstream. We are going to visit Out of Doors Mart in NC this weekend and will provide feedback. We may be a year away from purchase because I am really trying to keep cost for a 25-28 ft AS at $60k or under new or used. To begin the search process I have begin to email additional dealers on the East Coast willing to go as far southwest as Texas, up to Ohio and entire East Coast. Emailed Colonial this morning. Price point maybe unattainable but I am willing to wait and build up a deposit. I am hoping since I already have financing approved and ready it will help. Love to hear how you do in your search.
mdshope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2014, 09:19 PM   #22
2 Rivet Member

Hilton head island , South Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdshope View Post
Coastal, My wife and I are in Clover SC and beginning our search for a new airstream. We are going to visit Out of Doors Mart in NC this weekend and will provide feedback. We may be a year away from purchase because I am really trying to keep cost for a 25-28 ft AS at $60k or under new or used. To begin the search process I have begin to email additional dealers on the East Coast willing to go as far southwest as Texas, up to Ohio and entire East Coast. Emailed Colonial this morning. Price point maybe unattainable but I am willing to wait and build up a deposit. I am hoping since I already have financing approved and ready it will help. Love to hear how you do in your search.
Thanks. I look forward to hearing about it. I called out of doors mart and was going to stop by during a business trip but I never got the time. I have had a pleasant experience dealing with colonial and chilahowee(tenn) over the phone. I also talked to a dealer in austin texas that was good. The dealers in Ohio seem to be overpriced.
Like you I am looking for the right deal. We have been close a couple times but cooler heads prevailed and we are willing to wait a year or two until we feel it is right.

I did find a vintage restorer in Beaufort SC that does good quality work and most can be had for good prices. 20 to 30 k range fully restored but I have some reservations about vintage. We may ultimately go that route but I am not convinced yet.

As far as prices. Strive for 20% off msrp and I am not considering anything that isn't at least 15% off. Get full cost before you calculate. Some talk on various dealer fees, of course taxes and upgrades that they won't deduct from the % off. Make sure you get all total costs up front so you don't sit down to sign papers and see 7 k of "other charges"

Obtaining this airstream is my new full time obsession/hobby. Someday I will have it, but I don't buy things until I am 100% ready
coastal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:37 AM   #23
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Westlake , OH(summer)NC(winter)
@ mdshope and coastal.....I too have been obsessed with buying the right AS for almost one year. One thing to consider is your age! How much time do you have left for 'streaming'? I'm 65 and reasonably sound physically and mentally (my wife would argue the mental part). We don't want to wait too long! I've got a number of $60k in my head for new or used. We need 25' minimum but really want 27-28' in a perfect world. I tried to make a deal this week on a used 2012 International 28 that's listed in the AS Classifieds. My logic says its worth $60k but the seller's bottom line was $70k.
My point is....TIME'S a waisting!!
OHNewbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 07:12 PM   #24
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
I did call Colonial and found them good to deal with. They were able to to find a 25' Flying Cloud they could put me in at a price I could afford right under $60k bare bones cloth interior but a brand new 2014. My wife really wants the 27' or 28' Flying Cloud. I have a lead on 28' 2013 Flying Cloud for $54K looks clean leather interior and could be my future Air Stream. I am going to look at it Saturday. Any advice when it comes to looking at used is greatly appreciated price is $1500 what they initially asked for.
Old 04-17-2014, 07:35 PM   #25
Firedog1

2018 30' Classic
Woodbridge Connecticut & , Venice Florida
we just purchased at Tampa RV, they bought out Bates. Same company That has Orlando RV and a few others, good selection, very completive with prices.
Sold but not forgotten: 2005 Classic 25 Limited
2015 Classic 30 RB
Firedog1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 10:17 PM   #26
2 Rivet Member

Firedog1 good info on Tampa. I have read some good things about them and glad to hear its the same company as Orlando. I will be in orlando in a couple months so maybe I can talk to them then.

OHNewbie- I have found the classifieds tricky. Many people buy them site unseen( or at least agree to buy it) and pay full asking or close to it. I think it must be used dealers snatching them up because I cant imagine people buying them that quick- some of them are going for as much as a new one does. Also, After much thought i think the presence of a warranty and new assurances is worth the price difference from a new one and a couple years old- not knowing how the old owner took care of it would drive me crazy- if they took care of it poorly they might have left a problem you need to deal with for the next 5 to 10 years

mdshope- I too like the 27/28 but I like the vertically of the 25. It can get in more places and if you are just using it for a week or few at a time i doubt you will notice the extra space. If you plan to spend 6 months at a time then the closets and storage could be a big issue. as i said to ohnewbie- what is the new assurances and warrently worth to you? I bought a boat lightly used 6 years ago and have regretted it ever since. I put more money than i saved into it the first 2 years
Old 04-19-2014, 08:46 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
So our experience at Out of Doors Mart was good. We went there intending to buy a used 28' foot camper we felt the price was inline with the pictures we saw of it online. When we got there the sales men we had talked to was ready to show us all the units we wanted to see. We already had price quotes for new 25' 27' and 28' Airstream from several other dealers. The used unit looked in great condition but a few things steered me away from it. No warranty, I am sure for a veteran RVer this may not be a big deal but it maid me uncomfortable. The second thing and the biggest is to me was in the bedroom under the window on the left side of the bed the floor seemed to have a spot the gave more then I would have expected and really squeaked. This may not have been a big deal but the sales man had no idea what was and made it seem like it would be a big deal to look into anything in the subfloor. It wasn't squishy soft but it was bothersome. The third thing is the slides for the cabinet shelf next to the toilet were very difficult to close and open. The closer you got to the closing either side of the sliding cabinet doors it seemed as if the opening was getting smaller and put the door in a bind. The combination of all three of these things was just to much for me to go with it over the new 28'. In the end we did opt to purchase a new 28' Airstream. The final pricing of the unit was a little better than what I was able to negotiate with the other dealers about 17.5% off MSRP I have seen listed. I may have been able to try and negotiate more or continued looking for the perfect used Airstream but I was ready to start RVing. I feel good about the unit, price and feel like we just bought a vacation home in the Mountains, no Beach or maybe Desert......you get the picture :-) Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1397961935.526850.jpg
Views:	283
Size:	640.1 KB
ID:	210030
Old 04-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #28
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Congrats! I'm envious. So where will your first trip be?
Old 04-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
We are going to camp outside Pigeon Forge at Up The Creek Camp Ground. Our two favorite places in that area are the Cade's Cove Camp ground and Elkmont but neither have hook ups so we decided to break it in at a full hook camp. Going for four days over the May 4th weekend.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:03 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari
St. Augustine , Florida
Of the dealers you mention I would put a word in for JD Sanders. I was there in November to have a panel replaced at the recommendation of Airstream (they have a metal guy there and not all dealers do). I had called them earlier to try and go there. When I called to make the reservation for the summer the guy said why drive here for that, there are a few really good dealers that can do that work and one is not too far from you. At the time I was there Sanders had about 8 new units in the front. They are a family business out in the country basically. I was told that they cater to those who buy from them so that might be a factor too. While it is true that dealers HAVE to provide warranty work, there is a difference as I have experienced with cars.

Another consideration too if you do not mind a few more hours or are heading south. My town, Fort Myers, opened a dealership and they have a dozen or so on display according to their website= North Trail RV. Consider the model you are interested in and go from there.

I purchased from Bates and am unfamiliar with the new Tampa RV. The Orlando dealer is new as well.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #31
Site Team

2007 30' Classic S/O
Somewhere , South Carolina
Mdshope,

You guys are in SC how about joining us at Wateree SP in September, Alumalina. We had about 50 plus rigs and good times.

It's in the rally section.

Enjoy the new rig.

Gary
S/OS #001 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 5.9L 6 Speed
16" Michelins, Hi Spec Wheels, Max Brake, Dexter 4 Piston Disc Brakes, Carslile Actuator, Equal-I-Zer, Dill TPMS. Campfire cook. BMV-712. DEMCO 21K Lb Cast Iron coupler
GCinSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 04:56 PM   #32
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
Gary I sure appreciate the offer we already have a trip in September for Huntington Beach State Park. Michael
Old 04-20-2014, 05:22 PM   #33
3 Rivet Member

2013 25' Flying Cloud
Edisto Island , South Carolina
We bought our 25' Flying Cloud from Out of Doors Mart in North Carolina. We live near Charleston SC. They had a very good inventory of units and our experience with them was fine. A subsequent service visit one year later for some warranty work went equally well. They took us in on relatively short notice and took care of things efficiently. There is a campground about 15 or 20 minutes away as well, run by the city of High Point. Couldn't justify going to New Jersey. The price was no better in NJ and they did not have what we wanted in stock.
Edistobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:17 PM   #34
2 Rivet Member

Quote:
So our experience at Out of Doors Mart was good. We went there intending to buy a used 28' foot camper we felt the price was inline with the pictures we saw of it online. When we got there the sales men we had talked to was ready to show us all the units we wanted to see. We already had price quotes for new 25' 27' and 28' Airstream from several other dealers. The used unit looked in great condition but a few things steered me away from it. No warranty, I am sure for a veteran RVer this may not be a big deal but it maid me uncomfortable. The second thing and the biggest is to me was in the bedroom under the window on the left side of the bed the floor seemed to have a spot the gave more then I would have expected and really squeaked. This may not have been a big deal but the sales man had no idea what was and made it seem like it would be a big deal to look into anything in the subfloor. It wasn't squishy soft but it was bothersome. The third thing is the slides for the cabinet shelf next to the toilet were very difficult to close and open. The closer you got to the closing either side of the sliding cabinet doors it seemed as if the opening was getting smaller and put the door in a bind. The combination of all three of these things was just to much for me to go with it over the new 28'. In the end we did opt to purchase a new 28' Airstream. The final pricing of the unit was a little better than what I was able to negotiate with the other dealers about 17.5% off MSRP I have seen listed. I may have been able to try and negotiate more or continued looking for the perfect used Airstream but I was ready to start RVing. I feel good about the unit, price and feel like we just bought a vacation home in the Mountains, no Beach or maybe Desert......you get the picture :-) Attachment 210030
I definitely agree with your thinking. Good purchase! If you ever come by Hilton head let me know so I can check that puppy out. Did you purchase a tow vehicle recently as well or did you already have something? We have been debating back and forth getting a truck or large SYV now... Or just wait until we find our airstream then by all at once..
Old 04-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #35
Rivet Master

2021 25' International
Full timer , Virginia
If you extend your radius slightly, you'll wind up discovering Safford RV in Fredericksburg Va. Avoid them at all costs. Avoid their sales agents, avoid their parts department, avoid the "service" center.
IanPoulin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #36
Archie

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Ridgeland , Mississippi
Foley RV in Gulfport, MS. We recently purchased our 2014 30ft Flying Cloud from them.
archiedh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2014, 07:15 PM   #37
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Step one completed!! Purchased a 2011 Yukon Denali this week. Next step.......25 or 27 FC front bedroom with twins.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 PM   #38
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
Just brought home a new 28' on Thursday. It is a pretty awesome feeling! We cannot wait until Friday next week we will be headed to TN for four nights.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:31 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Just brought home a new 28' on Thursday. It is a pretty awesome feeling! We cannot wait until Friday next week we will be headed to TN for four nights.

So you we we happy with Out of Doors Mart? We live in Pinehurst (part time) so it's only a short trip.
Old 04-25-2014, 07:40 PM   #40
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Clover , South Carolina
I was happy with the pricing! I will be honest I was not impressed with the salesman we dealt with. He was not all that knowledgable or motivated to demonstrate or show you around. Lucky for him we were motivated to buy and had done enough research we knew what we wanted and already had several quotes. Everyone else at the dealership was very nice and easy to deal with. If I was ever going to buy again or refer a family member or friend I would use Out of Doors Mart again.