Old 05-24-2014, 08:40 AM   #43
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Aldie , Virginia
Airstream travel trailer dealers in south

I wanted to give a quick update about Safford Rv near Frederickburg, Va. Their Airstream experience has graduated from 'dreadful' to 'possibly intriguing' in my book. I was driving by on I95 a few weekends ago and noticed a lot more variety so I stopped by. It appears they have a new airstream sales manager. I did not get his name, but he self claims thirty plus years working with Airstreams, having moved to virginia two months before after having started up and managed air stream of Los Angeles.

Either way, no matter his credentials, the change in airstream on the lot is noticeable. Before, safford only really had either Bambi's or 25/27FB, and usually only with all amenities included. The day I dropped by, there were 16s, 22s, 23Ds, 25/27fbs, and three 28s of differing configurations across all lines (no EBs though, sad puppy). The new fellow seems to favor full ovens over convection microwaves (for the boondockers he says) and all the stoves are the Atwood higher end models.

He also claims to want to make safford rv a reliable parts and service center; but when you call into those departments you still only get a 'no' or a disinterested party not wanting to offer quality of service. I called into a service-parts team to see if they could upgrade my pro-series hitch to a Reese dual-cam, and they had no idea what I was talking about.

Ian

Old 05-24-2014, 08:49 AM   #44
retired USA/USAF

2001 30' Excella
Somerset , New Jersey
Hi Ian. From my readings here I gather that MOST dealers have limited knowledge of hitches. Treasure the ones that work hard to keep up with what hitches are out there and how to properly install them. It seems most of them sell trailers and carry and install a hitch purely to get you out of their yard with the new trailer you just bought. From then on we are on our own. I'm not out to slam any dealer but it just seems to be the way it is. I guess we need to search out knowledgeable people for current up to date info when it comes to hitches. And we can do that here on the forum.
How was the remainder of your week in North Carolina ??????? Quiet and restful I hope.

Keep it up. Inquiring minds want to know.

" Democracy is the worst form of government. Except for all the rest"
Winston Churchill 1948

TAC - NJ 18

polarlyse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:26 AM   #45
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by polarlyse View Post
Hi Ian. From my readings here I gather that MOST dealers have limited knowledge of hitches. Treasure the ones that work hard to keep up with what hitches are out there and how to properly install them. It seems most of them sell trailers and carry and install a hitch purely to get you out of their yard with the new trailer you just bought. From then on we are on our own.
I agree 100%. When I took delivery on my new AS recently from a large dealer in Florida, I bought a Hensley hitch from them. They are supposed to be a Hensley dealer. They did not have a clue how to install it. Had 2 guys trying to mount it that had never seen one before. I had to get the service manager involved or I would still be there. Hitches are so critical, there is no excuse for not having factory trained techs installing them.
Old 05-24-2014, 02:56 PM   #46
TahoeStream'n

2012 20' Flying Cloud
La Habra , California
Ian his name is Ken I don't remember his last name. We bought our 2012 in May of 2012 when Airstream of Los Angeles opened.
He knows what he is doing and is a great guy. If he said he will turn the dealership around, I believe him.
I didn't know he had left, thanks for letting us know.
Old 05-24-2014, 05:53 PM   #47
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Birmingham , Alabama
I am also very pleased with Foley in Gulfport. Claude Ann, Ron and everyone else were great to work with!!
Old 05-25-2014, 07:41 AM   #48
4 Rivet Member

2007 23' Safari SE
2016 23' International
Fernandina Beach , Florida
We bought our 23 ft Safari SE from Safford several years ago. At that time, they were an Equal-i-zer hitch dealer. We opted for the same and it was setup correctly, along with the brake controller. No complaints!
Old 06-12-2014, 08:19 AM   #49
Full Time Adventurer

2007 27' International CCD FB
Nomadic , USA
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadtech View Post
I agree 100%. When I took delivery on my new AS recently from a large dealer in Florida, I bought a Hensley hitch from them. They are supposed to be a Hensley dealer. They did not have a clue how to install it. Had 2 guys trying to mount it that had never seen one before. I had to get the service manager involved or I would still be there. Hitches are so critical, there is no excuse for not having factory trained techs installing them.

Who in Florida? So I can avoid.

We're in the Tampa area, and I've visited Tampa RV and was really annoyed by the sales tactics, worse than a car dealership, twice as annoyed that rather than call me, they called my wife, for 3 weeks! I honestly want to spend some time exploring these in person, but no, I had to be assigned a sales rep who walked with us, gave us a spiel and pretty much was annoying the entire time, not to mention the high pressure.

I've also visited North Trail RV Center in Ft. Myers, and I was very happy with the sales people there. They are a new Airstream dealer, their selection at the time was limited, but they had the exact model we want. And left us to open and explore the trailer on our own. Very relaxed, nice people, I'd give them my money.

We are planning to purchase in the Oct-Dec time frame, hoping for some end of year deals as dealers move out their inventory.
Old 06-12-2014, 09:01 AM   #50
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
The chap's name is Ken Baker and does have years of Airstream experience. I worked with him (he was both the general manager and sales manager) when I acquired the 2013 25FB International Serenity at Airstream Los Angeles which was an Airstream only dealer. He also has a lot of good connections on the financing side, if needed.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2014, 10:39 AM   #51
4 Rivet Member

2001 16' Bambi
2013 23' International
Piedmont Region , North Carolina
New Dealer in South Carolina

Just heard about this place today. Don't know anything about them one way or the other.

John's RV in Lexington, SC

South Carolina RV Dealer | Used RVs Lexington, SC | Travel Trailers, Fifth Wheels & Motor Homes by Wildwood, Sierra, Forest River & Keystone
Old 07-18-2014, 10:58 AM   #52
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' FB International
Macon , Georgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoldAdventure View Post
Who in Florida?
It was North Trail. They were great during the sales process. I would buy from them again. Just don't buy a Hensley hitch from them unless they have trained their install guys recently.
Old 07-18-2014, 11:10 AM   #53
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Sneedville , Tennessee
We just bought a trailer from Foley RV in Gulfport. The entire sales crew was fantastic and the price I got on a 2014 FC beat the so-called largest dealer by several thousand dollars, plus I didn't have to go to the NE which is worth 3 grand in my book.