Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Dollars & Cents
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #41
_

. , .
Quote:
Originally Posted by flmgrip View Post
1air, do you really believe that i should...
'grip

what i think is irrelevant.

do whatever floats yer boat!

but nothing in the post suggest you should SEND MONEY anywhere...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2air'
...having been notified, you could and should follow up with them IF questioning the issue or specifics...
now IF U really wanna send money, send it hither !

for 500 bucks (small unmarked bills) i'll follow up with the dealer and the county.

cash in advance

best of luck and keep at em!

cheers
2air'

we are here on earth to fart around. don't let anybody tell you any different. k.v.
2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 02:18 PM   #42
3 Rivet Member

2008 28' Safari SE
winter garden , Florida
I do not know about your state but in Florida I do not think you can renew your registration if a tax is owed, so I would wait and see if they try to collect with your registration. If you have your tag and title there is not much the dealer can do to collect, however I have found in the past a simple phone call goes a long way in clarification of a mistake. Unless california is different the tax is based on the county you reside in not the county of purchase, if you live in a different county than the dealer they may have made a mistake
bob34787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:01 PM   #43
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' International CCD FB
Holladay , Utah
This is from a collection agency. I would ignore it for as long as possible. If you feel like you need to repy, start by demanding they prove their agency agreement with the State of California, and then prove their debt. This may be fraud, but there are collection agencies that agree to split collections from the department of equalization, and CA authorizes them to have at it, sharing their files in the process. Even if they are representing the state, it doesn't mean you owe the money. OTOH, this may be a fraud, much like the Nigerian scams, where sending such a letter results in scaring some people into sending checks.

From a legal point of view, your contract is with the dealer, and you and the dealer complied with all of the terms. The contract is therefore complete.
FlashSilver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 06:08 PM   #44
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Question

So, after nearly 10 days, have you called the dealer? This could be cleared up with a call to the dealer, or even the state.
Old 11-25-2009, 10:26 AM   #45
Master of Universe

2008 25' Safari FB SE
Grand Junction , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashSilver View Post
This is from a collection agency. I would ignore it for as long as possible.
The OP posted it came from the dealer, not a collection agency. Ignoring letters about any kind of bill only makes it worse. They don't go away and if it's a valid tax discrepancy, penalties, interest and fines may happen.

If a retailer makes a mistake in a tax collection, that doesn't make the tax disappear. There no contract between a retailer and a purchaser to avoid taxes—such a "contract" would be illegal and could have civil or criminal consequences.

It seems like a lot of people want to assume the worst and complain about taxes when a phone call to the dealer and the appropriate taxing authority would most likely answer the questions as Terry has suggested.

Gene
Gene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2009, 12:06 PM   #46
3 Rivet Member

2009 25' SS International
Pasadena , California
guys... this is getting a little out of hand and barley has anything to do with my original post...

- i am not trying nor did i ever try to doge taxes or bills...
- this letter is not a bill... a bill has identifying information on it
- this letter is not coming from the dealership (it has their name on it, but not their address)
- why would i call the number on this letter?

i had two basic questions in my OP...

1. Am i liable for miscalculated taxes if the dealer made a mistake (the general consensus seems to be: yes)
2. should i pay or respond to a letter that has no explanation, referrence number, VIN etc... on it? (split opinions vary from don't do anything, call them or maybe one even things i should just send a check...)

so more or less my questions have been anwsered...

i will pay the taxes but not until i get further and more detailed explanation from what and for what this is... and it is not my responsiblity to clarify that, i have - to my best knowledge - paid all the taxes due when i purchased my airstream...

thanks for everyones input and happy thanksgiving !
flmgrip is offline   Reply With Quote